Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 6, 2020 06:59

Tiger at NYC’s Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

NEW YORK (AP) — A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia — and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill — are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn’t yet showing symptoms, the zoo said."
[www.seattletimes.com]

Scary to think that this could be transmitted to some animals or vice versa.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 6, 2020 09:13

treaclefingers
Bastion
Taylor1
Most viruses seem to come from humans eating animals ,HIV, Swine Flu, , Ebola,SARS, Mers,probably Coronavirus .Maybe we should become vegans or at least only fish. I would like to try impossible burgers , but they have too much salt.And certainly your government has to have stringent regulations to prevent people eating infected animals.We at least in America have these requirements to insure people don’t eat contaminated meat or poultry.Hopefully that won’t change

There is no viable reason to consume animals in the 21st century.

I think an infected bat in a wet market isn't a viable reason to say meat should no longer be consumed by people.

Has nothing to do with that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 6, 2020 09:42

Taylor1
Most viruses seem to come from humans eating animals ,HIV, Swine Flu, , Ebola,SARS, Mers,probably Coronavirus .Maybe we should become vegans or at least only fish. I would like to try impossible burgers , but they have too much salt.And certainly your government has to have stringent regulations to prevent people eating infected animals.We at least in America have these requirements to insure people don’t eat contaminated meat or poultry.Hopefully that won’t change

Bats are carrying a bunch of virus including Ebola, Rabies, corona and so on. They have no problems with those virus, but due to how they live, the virus seems to stay there. Dogs may have rabies. If you are afraid of virus then you should never pet a dog and you should get rid of animals, it would be too extreme.

Eating meat is no problem, but if animals are industrial, and they do not live in their natural environment, then they may get diseases, we all know about the mad cow disease, diseases among fish breed too close and so on.

Human industrial food production is not in balance with nature, but that is another discussion, not really related to the virus.

As long as you do not eat bats, or other wild animals, carrying virus, you should be fine, but nothing wrong about being vegetarian.

Bjornulf

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 6, 2020 10:01

Keep our fingers crossed for the discovery of a cure as soon as possible
[www.sciencedirect.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2020 11:10

not to make light of anything but this brought a rare smile. for the star trek fans out there:

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 12:28

MisterDDDD

NEW YORK (AP) — A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday.

The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia — and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill — are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn’t yet showing symptoms, the zoo said."
[www.seattletimes.com] The Bronx Zoo closed to the public 3weeks ago so the only humans who would have come into contact with the tigers are the zoo staff.Normally even when the zoo is open the Amur tigers are viewed by the public behind windows.If it was the Malayan tigers, they are in an exhibit called Wild Asia which is an open air exhibit which the public views from above on a mono - rail

Scary to think that this could be transmitted to some animals or vice versa.

Date: April 6, 2020 13:07

This is the week-by-week update on the corona virus status

Looking at the largest western countries, plus China and South Korea as references, this is the status on the 5th week of monitoring the fatality rates.

There have been three peaks of the virus so far in the world. First we had China in January. Then we had a second peak March-15 with Italy and Spain. The third peak was March 29, with USA.

The good news are now the fact that the total worldwide numbers are now down, as compared to last week.

USA is now the episenter of the virus in the world, but the multiplication factor is down from two weeks of 6x i.e. six times week-by-week, down to 4x last week, i.e. "just" four times vs the previous week. The total number of deaths in USA is for sure terrible, and the load on the NY health workers have been extreme, but the curve is now going more flat for USA, that is for sure.

UK and Canada have 4x numbers week-by week, probably due to late or not well functioning lockdown.

France, Italy, Spain and Germany are all experiencing a curve moving more flat, significant, this is great news, and it is a proof of the fact that the virus will be under control with a controlled lockdown.

South Korea had a problem with their curve going up two weeks ago, but the measures they took immediately are now bending the ramping curve down.

All in all, the western world have managed to take control over the pandemi, following lockdown since mid March. The next phase is now up to the advices from the experts, and how they are followed by the world leaders.

Explanation:

m-08, m-15, m22, .. a-05 etc are the multiplication factor of the number of deaths week-by-week, as measured on the week ending with March-08, March-15, ..., April-05 etc.

Reference numbers:

[www.worldometers.info]

WHO advices on how to avoid the virus:

1. Keep a physical distance of more than 2 m / 6 feet to people
2. Wash your hands properly and often
3. Limit the number of people you have contact with, max 2-5 people

Bjornulf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 13:13 by bv.

Date: April 6, 2020 13:36

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden was speaking to his nation yesterday evening on TV. He said something very important:

"We will all remember these days, and look back. Did I think of fellow human beings, or did I put myself first?"

Se hela talet från kung Carl XVI Gustaf till nationen (Expressen.se video - at 4:23)

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 14:29

Taylor1
Although no country can be totally prepared, in November 2019 ,the John Hopkins Center for Health Security said the United States of America was the best prepared of any nation in the world to fight a pandemic. When a nation has to fight a new virus like the Coronavirus, that spreads from one person to another at a speed never before seen,and there is no vaccine or antivirals for it, no amount of preparedness will stop it.That is why 151 nations are inflicted.Here in New York,8 million people live on top of each other .Mass transit is the main way of getting around.Mass means a lot of people.So that is why we have so many cases.

Best prepared? We did not even have testing in place. Trump does not have a clue. He keeps touting drugs that do not work. This hit Europe hard 2 weeks before it hit the US. Trump said in several speeches it was not going to hit the US. He lies about everything.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 6, 2020 15:03

Happy24
Somebody posted a comment that he founds funny the idea that the US president would do breafings in a mask. The post was deleted – I can see that it doesn’t really contribute to the topic –

That was me and I'd like to clarify... I thought the reference to the movie Mars Attacks! was funny... there is absolutely nothing funny at all about this virus. So wanted to apologize if anyone was offended if that came across different than intended.

Date: April 6, 2020 15:21

kovach
Happy24
Somebody posted a comment that he founds funny the idea that the US president would do breafings in a mask. The post was deleted – I can see that it doesn’t really contribute to the topic –

That was me and I'd like to clarify... I thought the reference to the movie Mars Attacks! was funny... there is absolutely nothing funny at all about this virus. So wanted to apologize if anyone was offended if that came across different than intended.

May be the post was harmless and funny, but if it was quoting another post being offending i.e. political, then that might be the reason why it was deleted. Also, whenever someone name the US president here, it takes an hour or so, and the next post will be highly political. Then in a few hours there is a war here, I don't want that to happen.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 6, 2020 15:26

According to link provided below, Sex is on decline due to COVID-19. Wife in article wants to spray Lysol on husband.

[www.usatoday.com]

Date: April 6, 2020 15:30

We do now know that lock down is working. If you limit crowds and their sizes, then the virus will not be multiplying out of control. If you look at the numbers from the Nordic countries, death rate multiplication rate from the past two weeks, you may actually have some input on what policy to apply next:

Finland: 1 - 11 - 28 ==> 2.5
Sweden: 21 - 110 - 401 ==> 3.6
Norway: 7 - 26 - 71 ==> 2.7
Denmark: 13 - 72 - 179 ==> 2.5
Iceland: 1 - 2 - 4 ==> 2.0

Iceland is a small island with single digit numbers, so they are not significant, but sure they do things the right way.

Norway, Finland and Denmark started lock down mid March, and have now control of the virus, i.e. the curve is moving into a flatter phase.

Sweden is still not in lockdown, people meet up in bars and restaurant, and have limits on 50 people meeting up. The curve is going up with a factor 4x per week.

Then to the big question of ethics and policy. Should we allow this virus to destroy our economy through lock down? Should we do like Sweden, take the toll and let the virus spread out more widely? This is the question we will discuss during the coming weeks.

Bjornulf

Date: April 6, 2020 15:41

Chris Fountain
According to link provided below, Sex is on decline due to COVID-19. Wife in article wants to spray Lysol on husband.

[www.usatoday.com]

I’ve also read from various sources that there has been a rise in domestic violence incidents. As we know many of these incidents also go unreported.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:26

kovach
Happy24

Oh, no need to apologize or clarify, kovach. It just inspired me to write what is going on in our country, since what people in most of the World find (absolutely rightfully) unimaginable, already works in other countries.

And I think it is essential to point out that while we are trying to slow down the spread of the virus, many other things actually do spread rapidly. It is a perfect situation for many politicaians and they take way bigger advantage of the situation than we could ever imagine. We have to be aware and while this situation lasts, we still have to think about what will be after this is over and actively work on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 16:27 by Happy24.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:48

MisterDDDD

[www.seattletimes.com]

Scary to think that this could be transmitted to some animals or vice versa.[/quote

yet another reason to close zoos forever....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 6, 2020 16:57

Rocknroll1969
Taylor1
Although no country can be totally prepared, in November 2019 ,the John Hopkins Center for Health Security said the United States of America was the best prepared of any nation in the world to fight a pandemic. When a nation has to fight a new virus like the Coronavirus, that spreads from one person to another at a speed never before seen,and there is no vaccine or antivirals for it, no amount of preparedness will stop it.That is why 151 nations are inflicted.Here in New York,8 million people live on top of each other .Mass transit is the main way of getting around.Mass means a lot of people.So that is why we have so many cases.

Best prepared? We did not even have testing in place. Trump does not have a clue. He keeps touting drugs that do not work. This hit Europe hard 2 weeks before it hit the US. Trump said in several speeches it was not going to hit the US. He lies about everything.

Here we go again. I don't care when this gets deleted, but nobody had a clue not even China who started this disaster. Lots of experts stated early on the US was not going to get affected like it is today. This was reported on every US news source one could possibly imagine. Trump speaks to the information provided by his medical experts, and if you still listen he has changed the narrative to reflect what he is given.

Let's stay strong, and stop blaming Trump

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 17:00

bv
Taylor1

Bats are carrying a bunch of virus including Ebola, Rabies, corona and so on. They have no problems with those virus, but due to how they live, the virus seems to stay there. Dogs may have rabies. If you are afraid of virus then you should never pet a dog and you should get rid of animals, it would be too extreme.

Eating meat is no problem, but if animals are industrial, and they do not live in their natural environment, then they may get diseases, we all know about the mad cow disease, diseases among fish breed too close and so on.

Human industrial food production is not in balance with nature, but that is another discussion, not really related to the virus.

As long as you do not eat bats, or other wild animals, carrying virus, you should be fine, but nothing wrong about being vegetarian.

I don't know if I tell something "new", but, just like animals, human bodies are also home to quite a number of viruses. They are essentially harmless to humans, but ... depending on circumstances they may turn into nasty buggers.
29 years ago I, after intense diagnosis, was classified with the disease sarcoidosis (Besnier-Buck). Something triggered a peaceful virus inside me (apparently inside my lungs) and it messed me up badly. All in all I was declared cured after nine months. At 42 I was physically strong, so when the doctors gave me the option to let my body heal itself or get strong medication, I chose the former. I never regretted it. The fast majority of people have that virus from birth to death and never know about it. Virusses.... weird creatures!confused smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 6, 2020 17:58

I personally had personal protective supplies on order for my family before Mar 12, when the first bulk purchase order was placed by the administration for PPE supplies.
Not about blaming. It's about knowing the facts, acting on them so that we can try to correct mistakes and get the testing and PPE supplies needed as quickly as possible to save lives.

U.S. 'wasted' months before preparing for virus pandemic

WASHINGTON (AP) — After the first alarms sounded in early January that an outbreak of a novel coronavirus in China might ignite a global pandemic, the Trump administration squandered nearly two months that could have been used to bolster the federal stockpile of critically needed medical supplies and equipment.

A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies largely waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers.
[apnews.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2020 17:59

Maindefender
Rocknroll1969
Taylor1

Here we go again. I don't care when this gets deleted, but nobody had a clue not even China who started this disaster. Lots of experts stated early on the US was not going to get affected like it is today. This was reported on every US news source one could possibly imagine. Trump speaks to the information provided by his medical experts, and if you still listen he has changed the narrative to reflect what he is given.

You say "stop blaming Trump" but say something completely ignorant, your very own fake news, or what some would see as a lie, which is a mere echo. China didn't "start" it.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 18:19

Chris Fountain

[www.usatoday.com]

All the more reason to go bang your Significant Other ASAP

We can flatten this curve too.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 6, 2020 18:22

bv
We do now know that lock down is working. If you limit crowds and their sizes, then the virus will not be multiplying out of control. If you look at the numbers from the Nordic countries, death rate multiplication rate from the past two weeks, you may actually have some input on what policy to apply next:

Finland: 1 - 11 - 28 ==> 2.5
Sweden: 21 - 110 - 401 ==> 3.6
Norway: 7 - 26 - 71 ==> 2.7
Denmark: 13 - 72 - 179 ==> 2.5
Iceland: 1 - 2 - 4 ==> 2.0

Iceland is a small island with single digit numbers, so they are not significant, but sure they do things the right way.

Norway, Finland and Denmark started lock down mid March, and have now control of the virus, i.e. the curve is moving into a flatter phase.

Sweden is still not in lockdown, people meet up in bars and restaurant, and have limits on 50 people meeting up. The curve is going up with a factor 4x per week.

Then to the big question of ethics and policy. Should we allow this virus to destroy our economy through lock down? Should we do like Sweden, take the toll and let the virus spread out more widely? This is the question we will discuss during the coming weeks.

Yes, indeed the academics and chattering classes will be debating this for a long time, probably starting from a certain formed individual standpoint and then defending their position to the hilt. Meanwhile, the virus may well be rampant in Africa and probably then get very little coverage by the western media.

Economy v people lives? Well, I can remember the 'Thatcher revolution' in the UK in the 1980s which definitely put economic policy before social issues. In other words 3 million unemployed was 'a price worth paying.'

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 6, 2020 19:25

BV, In these times that we are going thru I really appreciate your no nonsense reporting of the facts pertaining to COVID-19 . BV , your reports I trust as being unbiased and accurate and for that I greatly appreciate your hard work and due diligence in keeping us informed .Thank You Kindly !!!!!!!!!! Please Stay Safe !

Posted by: 1badgator ()
Date: April 6, 2020 19:26

Trust financial advice from Donnie Bankruptcy, lose your retirement account. Trust medical advice from Dr Donnie, lose your life.

Date: April 6, 2020 19:28

GasLightStreet
Maindefender
Rocknroll1969
Taylor1

You say "stop blaming Trump" but say something completely ignorant, your very own fake news, or what some would see as a lie, which is a mere echo. China didn't "start" it.

OK. Please stop this pissing contest. Nobody will win this me vs you fight. I will delete any furter quotes here. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Date: April 6, 2020 19:35

I look at numbers in the Western World now. There are two reasons for that:

- The numbers are to be trusted
- This is where the virus is doing most damage now

Sure Africa, Latin America and Asia will have terrible challenges. If or when we get numbers, we will know. Still, there are some reasons why they do not have the same problems as we have in the western world:

- Poor people do not fly and travel a lot i.e. the virus will not spread so fast
- These countries are used to following rules, penalties are tough
- There are may be not so many age 80's and 90's (just my guess)
- The world economy is very much up to G7+, not poor countries

The world will have great challenges during the next 1-2 years, for sure. The rich western countries use lockdown to control the virus. The rest of the world may learn and follow.

Still, we need a lot of solidarity. Like the king in Sweden said: "There will be a time when you will ask yourself if you put yourself before others".

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 19:36 by bv.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 6, 2020 19:40

Would be interesting to know if the King of Sweden agrees with his Governments approach.
In the UK it would be very difficult (and probably pointless) to speculate.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 6, 2020 20:21

To support frontline healthcare workers & the WHO there will be a “One World: Together At Home” virtual global Music-Special - [www.GlobalCitizen.org] :

[Twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 20:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 6, 2020 20:24

This reminds me of MAD Magazine's classic Spy vs, Spy comic strip. Y'all may be too to remember.

Date: April 6, 2020 21:45

Denmark is banning all larger events until the end of August. Still, they will open kindergarten and schools up to 5th grade after Easter, as they do now have a certain control of the spread of the virus, through the current lockdown.

[ekstrabladet.dk]

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home