Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 5, 2020 16:55

Lockdown in Europe may have saved 120,000 lives so far.

Strong social distancing measures to slow and suppress the spread of COVID-19 across Europe are estimated to have averted thousands of deaths.

The findings come from a new analysis by researchers at Imperial College London, which estimates the potential impact of interventions in 11 European countries to counter the coronavirus pandemic – including school closures and national lockdowns.

According to the research, up to 120,000 deaths may have already been averted in 11 countries, including the UK, Italy and Spain. However, they add that the estimated proportion of people to have been infected with the virus may only be between 2 to 12% of the population (2.7% in the UK).

The team used real-time daily data from the European Centre of Disease Control (ECDC) on the number of deaths in 11 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Coronavirus measures may have already averted up to 120,000 deaths across Europe (Imperial College London UK - 30 March 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 5, 2020 17:02

grzegorz67
georgie48
grzegorz67
Nate
Yeah I understand that.I live in the U.K. so we don’t have guns here but I do agree with the right to defend your family if someone is entering your property then I do believe you should be within your rights to stop them.

Nate

In the U.K. you are very much within your legal rights to stop them by use of “reasonable force”, which obviously does not include use of guns. “Reasonable force” is an imprecise term though and there’s been a court case or 10 down the years.

A couple of years before he died, George Harrison was stabbed by a knife wielding intruder at his home. Wife Olivia smashed a lamp over said intruder’s head and clobbered him a couple of times before the Police came and arrested him. When there’s a genuine threat to human life then anything goes but still not guns. Not in the U.K. anyway.

The same in our country ... use of "reasonable force". But what is reasonable force? We had many cases where the rightful defender was seud by the unrightful criminal for the use of "unreasonable force" with sometimes rediculous outcome. So rediculous it makes you think that the defender should defend him/herself in such a way that the criminal is put in a state of not being able to sue anybody anymore at any time. In the USA that means ... pull the trigger. In Europe rightful defenders don't have triggers to pull ... Olivia was lucky that the police arrived at a given time, so she survived. The intruder by now is probably walking free again.

Neither is perfect for sure. The trouble is if you make guns available to householders then they’re available to intruders too. In the U.K. we have around 700 murder a year. In the US, it’s 16,000 with 5 times our population so around 4 times as many per capita. Our police still aren’t routinely armed here. It’s up to each country what they choose to do but I prefer our way any day of the week.

16,000 murders in the US per annum
8,000 Corona deaths in the US so far
Makes you pause for thought.

Date: April 5, 2020 17:07

Please do not discuss gun policy here.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 17:09

bv

Strong social distancing measures to slow and suppress the spread of COVID-19 across Europe are estimated to have averted thousands of deaths.

The findings come from a new analysis by researchers at Imperial College London, which estimates the potential impact of interventions in 11 European countries to counter the coronavirus pandemic – including school closures and national lockdowns.

According to the research, up to 120,000 deaths may have already been averted in 11 countries, including the UK, Italy and Spain. However, they add that the estimated proportion of people to have been infected with the virus may only be between 2 to 12% of the population (2.7% in the UK).

The team used real-time daily data from the European Centre of Disease Control (ECDC) on the number of deaths in 11 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Coronavirus measures may have already averted up to 120,000 deaths across Europe (Imperial College London UK - 30 March 2020)

don't forget masks....masks work....masks save lives.

Nothing is 100%, but masks REDUCE your chances of spreading and getting Corona (and the Regular Flu &/or Cold, I'll add)

our goal is to "flatten the curve"...so, if you must go out, WEAR A MASK!! (add goggles to increase your own protection...if nothing else, it keeps your fingers out of your eyes)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.usatoday.com]

ALWAYS IMMEDIATELY DISINFECT YOUR MASK/GOGGLES WHEN YOU GET HOME!!!

Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 5, 2020 17:34

Ny wife is Peruvian, -news from son, Peru News and Ecuador report worsening virus conditions- Son of my wife says Peruvian news sources are reporting that Ecuadorian women in cities such as Quito are holding big signs of S.O. S These friendly folks in S.America are getting hit hard as well - very bad news. They are dying on the streets .

[news.yahoo.com]

Link Corrected - My apology

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 5, 2020 17:40

Taylor1
Not true.China did not give the gene sequence to the rest of the world until January 13 .The world knew there was a virus but not its contagiousness.China in December muzzled the brave Chinese doctors from telling the world what they knew.Moreover the defense of China is specious.They didn’t tell the world it could be transferred from person to person until the end of January.China then kicked out all western journalists who were investigating the origin of the Coronavirus s in Wuhan .Did it come from the food market? From the Wuhan Lab.OXFORD RESEARCH said in a study that hadChina govt not delayed in letting the world know all abou the virus,95 percent of the world would not have been infected

Consider the time line: according to the Beeb [www.bbc.com] it was only on Dec 30 that Dr Li Wenliang sent out his warnings to fellow doctors:

On 30 December he sent a message to fellow doctors in a chat group warning them to wear protective clothing to avoid infection.
Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".
He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours" Local authorities later apologised to Dr Li.

That is, it took only two weeks from this first informal warning that there's something going on until the complete gene sequence was published. This is not really a long time. That the virus is contagious (also person-to-person) thus was clear more or less right from the start. Just how contagious it is and how quickly it spreads is something also the Chinese found out only in the course of January.

If the Chinese authorities knew about virus already long before Dr Li Wenliang's posting is something I don't know, and if that really was the case, we will possibly never find out anyway.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 17:45

Chris Fountain
Ny wife is Peruvian, -news from son, Peru News and Ecuador report worsening virus conditions- Son of my wife says Peruvian news sources are reporting that Ecuadorian women in cities such as Quito are holding big signs of S.O. S These friendly folks in S.America are getting hard as well - very bad news. They are dying on the streets .

[www.wsj.com]

I lived in Ecuador. Granted that was 20 years ago, but simply put - so-called 3rd World countries aren't equipped to handle a pandemic of this nature...at all....if the EU and US is struggling, I can only imagine what's going on down there.

Here's a way to help, if you're interested.

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

[www.charitynavigator.org]

Date: April 5, 2020 17:58

stickyfingers101
Chris Fountain
Ny wife is Peruvian, -news from son, Peru News and Ecuador report worsening virus conditions- Son of my wife says Peruvian news sources are reporting that Ecuadorian women in cities such as Quito are holding big signs of S.O. S These friendly folks in S.America are getting hard as well - very bad news. They are dying on the streets .

[www.wsj.com]

I lived in Ecuador. Granted that was 20 years ago, but simply put - so-called 3rd World countries aren't equipped to handle a pandemic of this nature...at all....if the EU and US is struggling, I can only imagine what's going on down there.

Here's a way to help, if you're interested.

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

[www.charitynavigator.org]

Thanks Sorry for the wrong link - the link was corrected above. I'll do what I can but Americans are priority especially the front line defenders Nurses, Doctors, EMT, Police, Sheriffs, all even Grocery workers, etc.. we won't forget them - USA never does!!!

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 18:04

Hey Chris, we have something in common too. My wife is Peruvian. She listens to the Peruvian President everyday.It seems like quarantine is working in Peru & the curve is starting to flatten. Don't get me wrong. It's still bad.

Date: April 5, 2020 18:09

Sockers56
Hey Chris, we have something in common too. My wife is Peruvian. She listens to the Peruvian President everyday.It seems like quarantine is working in Peru & the curve is starting to flatten. Don't get me wrong. It's still bad.

Yes - phone calls agree with your assessment - Thanks for response!! I'm not sure about Columbia, Chile, Brazil, Guyana, Argentina, etc...

CDC has a "Sick Map" , which DrudgeReport . com reports and is suppose to be the official tally-

Take Care Brother - Stuart, Martin County, Florida.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 18:18

Although no country can be totally prepared, in November 2019 ,the John Hopkins Center for Health Security said the United States of America was the best prepared of any nation in the world to fight a pandemic. When a nation has to fight a new virus like the Coronavirus, that spreads from one person to another at a speed never before seen,and there is no vaccine or antivirals for it, no amount of preparedness will stop it.That is why 151 nations are inflicted.Here in New York,8 million people live on top of each other .Mass transit is the main way of getting around.Mass means a lot of people.So that is why we have so many cases.

Date: April 5, 2020 19:28

As some nations scramble to find protective gear to fight the coronavirus pandemic, Finland is sitting on an enviable stockpile of personal protective equipment like surgical masks, putting it ahead of less-prepared Nordic neighbors.

The stockpile, considered one of Europe’s best and built up over years, includes not only medical supplies, but also oil, grains, agricultural tools and raw materials to make ammunition. Norway, Sweden and Denmark had also amassed large stockpiles of medical and military equipment, fuel and food during the Cold War era. Later, most all but abandoned those stockpiles.

But not Finland. Its preparedness has cast a spotlight on national stockpiles and exposed the vulnerability of other Nordic nations.

“It’s in the Finnish people’s DNA to be prepared,” Mr. Lounema said, referring to his country’s proximity to Russia, its eastern neighbor. (Finland fought off a Soviet invasion in 1939.)

Finland, ‘Prepper Nation of the Nordics,’ Isn’t Worried About Masks (New York Times - April 5, 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 5, 2020 19:50

Bill Gates predicted things won’t “go back to truly normal until we have a vaccine that we’ve gotten out to basically the entire world.”

[www.cnbc.com]

The Big Question for Sports: When Will You Feel Safe Around 20,000 Strangers Again?
[www.wsj.com]

Date: April 5, 2020 19:57

artedm
Bill Gates predicted things won’t “go back to truly normal until we have a vaccine that we’ve gotten out to basically the entire world.”

[www.cnbc.com]

The Big Question for Sports: When Will You Feel Safe Around 20,000 Strangers Again?
[www.wsj.com]

When there is a vaccine i.e. mid/late 2021.

Bjornulf

Date: April 5, 2020 20:25

Finland may be held in a different light with stats involved- see source below:

[www.nationmaster.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 5, 2020 21:15

Je me souviens.

[toronto.citynews.ca]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 5, 2020 21:22

bv
artedm

[www.cnbc.com]

[www.wsj.com]

He's currently building factories to produce the vaccines before they're developed.
Awesome.

Bill Gates is funding new factories for 7 potential coronavirus vaccines, even though it will waste billions of dollars

"Gates said he was picking the top seven vaccine candidates and building manufacturing capacity for them. “Even though we’ll end up picking at most two of them, we’re going to fund factories for all seven, just so that we don’t waste time in serially saying, ‘OK, which vaccine works?’ and then building the factory,” he said."
[www.businessinsider.com.au]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 5, 2020 21:56

(Trying to be optimistic) I wonder, if when a Corona vaccine is found....will attention turn to find an all embracing one that will deal with seasonal flu, which as we all know kills tens of thousands of people each year.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 5, 2020 22:21

MisterDDDD
bv
artedm

[www.cnbc.com]

[www.wsj.com]

He's currently building factories to produce the vaccines before they're developed.
Awesome.

Bill Gates is funding new factories for 7 potential coronavirus vaccines, even though it will waste billions of dollars

"Gates said he was picking the top seven vaccine candidates and building manufacturing capacity for them. “Even though we’ll end up picking at most two of them, we’re going to fund factories for all seven, just so that we don’t waste time in serially saying, ‘OK, which vaccine works?’ and then building the factory,” he said."
[www.businessinsider.com.au]

Now that’s smart thinking.

Nate

Date: April 5, 2020 22:32

Most viruses seem to come from humans eating animals ,HIV, Swine Flu, , Ebola,SARS, Mers,probably Coronavirus .Maybe we should become vegans or at least only fish. I would like to try impossible burgers , but they have too much salt.And certainly your government has to have stringent regulations to prevent people eating infected animals.We at least in America have these requirements to insure people don’t eat contaminated meat or poultry.Hopefully that won’t change

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 5, 2020 23:04

Taylor1
Most viruses seem to come from humans eating animals ,HIV, Swine Flu, , Ebola,SARS, Mers,probably Coronavirus .Maybe we should become vegans or at least only fish. I would like to try impossible burgers , but they have too much salt.And certainly your government has to have stringent regulations to prevent people eating infected animals.We at least in America have these requirements to insure people don’t eat contaminated meat or poultry.Hopefully that won’t change

There is no viable reason to consume animals in the 21st century.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 5, 2020 23:18

Boris Johnson has now been admitted to hospital after self isolating in Downing Street for the last ten days.

Nate

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2020 01:15

Bastion
Taylor1

There is no viable reason to consume animals in the 21st century.

I think an infected bat in a wet market isn't a viable reason to say meat should no longer be consumed by people.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 6, 2020 01:20

bv

But it is very discouraging to see press conferences by world leaders where too often the main speakers are NOT following the guidelines.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2020 01:32

THE AGE --- 6 April 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: April 6, 2020 03:06

SomeTorontoGirl
Je me souviens.

[toronto.citynews.ca]

Thank you for posting the link, STG. Seems Gander's remarkable hospitality has been forgotten about.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 6, 2020 04:31

Rocknroll1969
The priority of the United States federal government should be to save lives. Trump is a jackass. He cares about the Dow Jones more then saving lives. The whole United State should be under lockdown.
He addressed this in his State of the Union speech, which Nancy Pelosi tore up in front of the world and declared it "all lies" and then she proceeded to encourage people to come out and patronize Chinese restaurants,in response to Trump's travel ban from China, which most definitely saved lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 04:32 by bleedingman.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 6, 2020 04:46

bleedingman
Rocknroll1969
The priority of the United States federal government should be to save lives. Trump is a jackass. He cares about the Dow Jones more then saving lives. The whole United State should be under lockdown.
He addressed this in his State of the Union speech, which Nancy Pelosi tore up in front of the world and declared it "all lies" and then she proceeded to encourage people to come out and patronize Chinese restaurants,in response to Trump's travel ban from China, which most definitely saved lives.

Any chance of a direct quote or source on what you're referring to in the SOTU?
You've brought up the speech a couple times and how it addressed something related to the virus without context, quotes, or link. Not saying it didn't happen, but other than being angry about the Speaker's iconic gesture, not sure what you're referring to.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: April 6, 2020 04:50

That was the one correct thing he did. It hit Europe hard 2 weeks before it hit the US. He did nothing else except fight with mayors and governors during this time frame. There is still no Federal lockdown after all this time. Does he read European news? How about learn from South Korea?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-06 04:51 by Rocknroll1969.

Date: April 6, 2020 04:50

Rocknroll1969
93 percent of America is in lockdown.And he may have his faults but he is hardly a jackass.He is coordinating quite well the federal government’s response to the virus.Does it bother you at all that China did not tell the world the virus could be transferred from human to human until January 20 even though they knew about it for a month? Does it bother you that while they hid this information they were buying up most of the worlds supplies of surgical masks and respirators? Does it bother you that Nancy Pelosi said Trump should not have closed the USborders to people coming from Chins on Feb3? Does it bother you that the WHO said it was okay to have open borders to international travel when the US did that?Does it bother you that according to Oxford Research 95 percent of the world would not have been infected if China had told the truth? Does it bother you that 181 countries now have the virus.Are their leaders jack asset too?There are some people who are worse than jackasses

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home