Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 4, 2020 18:12

Nate
In the Philippines the President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military and the police to shoot and kill anyone caught breaking the Coronavirus lockdown rules.

Nate

He's not known for his light touch lol

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 4, 2020 18:18

The solidarity, law and order between nations found in normal times seems to be under pressure. No wonder private people think about protecting themselves, their families and belongings these days.

US hijacking mask shipments in rush for coronavirus protection (Guardian 03-Apr-2020)

Berlin accuses US of ‘piracy’ over face masks (Politico 03-Apr-2020)

FRANCE FORCED TO RETURN FACE MASKS IT CONFISCATED FROM SPAIN A FEW WEEKS AGO AFTER PRESSURE FROM THE SWEDISH GOVERNMENT (The Olive Press Spain 03-Apr-2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2020 18:36

Chris Fountain
Nate
How is a gun going to help you defeat a virus?

Nate

Hi Nate -

(w /no offense)

Of course not. Why people are rapidly buying guns?, Because the Unemployment rate is now nearly 5%. We're talking about millions that may be displaced or broke. desperation looms , which makes folks commit crimes out of their norm

This makes people nervous about their property or well being.

I'm not exactly sure the timing of when the unemployment rate is calculated, but based on the unemployment claims in the last 2 weeks of close to 10 million in the US, the actual unemployment rate is closer to 13%, which will show up in next month's Nonfarms Payroll report. Problem is, by that time you're going to see a heckuva lot more job loss.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 4, 2020 18:56

It’s as bad as, or worse than you describe Bjornulf. 3M in the US has long manufactured and supplied much of the PPE used in Canadian hospitals, but has just been ordered not to ship to Canada (and other countries). This kind of isolationism might be an understandable urge, but in practice it will have huge consequences well beyond this situation. For instance, the pulp (raw material) used in the manufacture of masks and gowns by 3M comes from Canada - should we keep it all here ‘cause we’ll need it for ourselves? A lot of medical staff in border cities like Detroit live in Canada - should we keep them here ‘cause we’re gonna need them for ourselves? And while we’re at it, we better resume manufacturing all this stuff ourselves for ever, because we can’t trust our neighbour to respect the long-established supply chain, so let’s keep the product, the jobs, and the profits here, right?

Two months of denial, followed by pants-wetting panic. Trying to buy the German company that might have a lead on a vaccine, barring Philips (a Dutch company) from selling ventilators to long-standing customers outside the US, hijacking a supply of masks in Bangkok intended for for German police officers... all these actions are chewing up a lot of the goodwill that has been built up in past years... Irresponsible, short-sighted, potentially catastrophic.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2020 20:07

Couldn't agree more STG.

This response from 3M's to the proposed directives was excellent. I bet we'll see a reversal of this sooner rather than later. Insane proposals like this and stationing military at the Canadian border (like they would want to come here??) typically change after the outrage and facts are presented.

"The Administration also requested that 3M cease exporting respirators that we currently manufacture in the United States to the Canadian and Latin American markets. There are, however, significant humanitarian implications of ceasing respirator supplies to healthcare workers in Canada and Latin America, where we are a critical supplier of respirators. In addition, ceasing all export of respirators produced in the United States would likely cause other countries to retaliate and do the same, as some have already done. If that were to occur, the net number of respirators being made available to the United States would actually decrease. That is the opposite of what we and the Administration, on behalf of the American people, both seek."
[news.3m.com]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 4, 2020 20:29

exhpart
Nate
In the Philippines the President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military and the police to shoot and kill anyone caught breaking the Coronavirus lockdown rules.

Nate

He's not known for his light touch lol

Yes before he became president he was mayor of a town where he would take local criminals for helicopter rides and the helicopter would land with less people than it took up.

Nate

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 4, 2020 20:32

Thanks !!!! for the informative post: please forward to your local Rep

and we will help the cause by sending additional info of your rep or address to help your area! Thanks You always come through!!!!!!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 4, 2020 22:14

Hello,

I'm reading that Marianne F. has contracted C-19 and is being treated in a London hospital. If that is true, sending you all the best, Ma'am...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2020 22:15

SomeTorontoGirl
Irresponsible, short-sighted, potentially catastrophic.

In the race to the bottom France has just taken the lead : on top of the 1000's of deaths caused by Covid-19, lack of medical supplies and economic crisis we just had another terrorist attack.
A Sudanese refugee who couldn't continue living in a country of "disbelievers" stabbed 7 people in the street. 2 died.

Date: April 4, 2020 22:47

dcba
SomeTorontoGirl

In the race to the bottom France has just taken the lead : on top of the 1000's of deaths caused by Covid-19, lack of medical supplies and economic crisis we just had another terrorist attack.
A Sudanese refugee who couldn't continue living in a country of "disbelievers" stabbed 7 people in the street. 2 died.

Yes and unfortunately it has to get to a situation like today’s before anything is done about it because if you criticise their belief system then it’s you that’s in trouble.
Unfortunately there are too many people in European governments who still believe it’s gardening time when it is very clearly hunting time.

Nate

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 4, 2020 23:23

Clearly the US and other Western countries are making strong and focused efforts at dealing with this crisis. The messages being delivered with respect to the mask issue are frustratingly infected with fake news disease, which is very disappointing. It's very likely that the West will come through this crisis somewhat hurt but on the road to recovery.

It will probably be much worse in non-Western countries. And the harsh medicine for those countries is to start to get it together and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Get it together, organize your societies and build up your own infrastructure.

Instead of another "USA for Africa" Africa needs an "Africa for Africa." That's the real solution.

Date: April 4, 2020 23:37

Taylor1
...No one knew the full extent of the dangers of this virus until late February because the information had no come out...The world wasn’t even told that the virus could be transferred from person to person until January 15...

Here ya go...

[mavenroundtable.io]

Date: April 4, 2020 23:42

dcba
SomeTorontoGirl

Really sorry to hear about this one.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 4, 2020 23:42

A country like Canada needs to reestablish local manufacturing of things like medical supplies. 3M is a US company and Trump wants their N95 mask production for the United States. That is understandable but I think that I heard yesterday that Trump softened his stance on that and would let 3M honor existing contacts for delivering masks to Canada and Latin America.

However, once those 3M orders are delivered don't be surprised if subsequent production is going to be for the US domestic market only.

In that case Canada just needs to buy some production machinery and license the 3M design and produce them locally for its own domestic market. I have to assume there is already a "3M Canada."

It shows that weaning yourself off of globalization is a rational thing to do. We need to find a new equilibrium between globalization and nurturing your own domestic production for your own market. Otherwise you can get caught with your pants down.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 00:09

grzegorz67
Nate
Yeah I understand that.I live in the U.K. so we don’t have guns here but I do agree with the right to defend your family if someone is entering your property then I do believe you should be within your rights to stop them.

Nate

In the U.K. you are very much within your legal rights to stop them by use of “reasonable force”, which obviously does not include use of guns. “Reasonable force” is an imprecise term though and there’s been a court case or 10 down the years.

A couple of years before he died, George Harrison was stabbed by a knife wielding intruder at his home. Wife Olivia smashed a lamp over said intruder’s head and clobbered him a couple of times before the Police came and arrested him. When there’s a genuine threat to human life then anything goes but still not guns. Not in the U.K. anyway.

The same in our country ... use of "reasonable force". But what is reasonable force? We had many cases where the rightful defender was seud by the unrightful criminal for the use of "unreasonable force" with sometimes rediculous outcome. So rediculous it makes you think that the defender should defend him/herself in such a way that the criminal is put in a state of not being able to sue anybody anymore at any time. In the USA that means ... pull the trigger. In Europe rightful defenders don't have triggers to pull ... Olivia was lucky that the police arrived at a given time, so she survived. The intruder by now is probably walking free again.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 00:37

georgie48
grzegorz67
Nate
Yeah I understand that.I live in the U.K. so we don’t have guns here but I do agree with the right to defend your family if someone is entering your property then I do believe you should be within your rights to stop them.

Nate

In the U.K. you are very much within your legal rights to stop them by use of “reasonable force”, which obviously does not include use of guns. “Reasonable force” is an imprecise term though and there’s been a court case or 10 down the years.

A couple of years before he died, George Harrison was stabbed by a knife wielding intruder at his home. Wife Olivia smashed a lamp over said intruder’s head and clobbered him a couple of times before the Police came and arrested him. When there’s a genuine threat to human life then anything goes but still not guns. Not in the U.K. anyway.

The same in our country ... use of "reasonable force". But what is reasonable force? We had many cases where the rightful defender was seud by the unrightful criminal for the use of "unreasonable force" with sometimes rediculous outcome. So rediculous it makes you think that the defender should defend him/herself in such a way that the criminal is put in a state of not being able to sue anybody anymore at any time. In the USA that means ... pull the trigger. In Europe rightful defenders don't have triggers to pull ... Olivia was lucky that the police arrived at a given time, so she survived. The intruder by now is probably walking free again.

Neither is perfect for sure. The trouble is if you make guns available to householders then they’re available to intruders too. In the U.K. we have around 700 murder a year. In the US, it’s 16,000 with 5 times our population so around 4 times as many per capita. Our police still aren’t routinely armed here. It’s up to each country what they choose to do but I prefer our way any day of the week.

Date: April 5, 2020 01:09

There are receipts.

Date: April 5, 2020 01:28

grzegorz67
georgie48
grzegorz67
Nate

Nate

Neither is perfect for sure. The trouble is if you make guns available to householders then they’re available to intruders too. In the U.K. we have around 700 murder a year. In the US, it’s 16,000 with 5 times our population so around 4 times as many per capita. Our police still aren’t routinely armed here. It’s up to each country what they choose to do but I prefer our way any day of the week.

Guns along with anything else that money can buy are readily available here in the U.K. of course 99% of the population here don’t own one and would not want one but if you have a desire to acquire one and you know the right people then you can have one within hours for less than the price of an iPhone.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-05 01:30 by Nate.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 5, 2020 01:32

grzegorz67
The trouble is if you make guns available to householders then they’re available to intruders too.

That's why I have pistols loaded in a lockboxes cabled to something that can't be moved to prevent theft, and quickly accessable only by fingerprint, PIN code, or key in convenient locations on each floor of my home. I hope I never have to use them. But I will to protect my family.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 5, 2020 01:44

bv
Dirty Harry is still one of my favorites, remember.

Clint Eastwood us a great actor and director.

Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite western and kind of a Civil War film. Hang 'Em High another where he's deputized to round up those who tried to hang him for a crime he didn't commit.

His latest, Richard Jewell, a true story about the Atlanta Olympics bombing, is a good one showing why so many don't trust our own government.

Date: April 5, 2020 02:31

430,000 People Have Traveled From China to U.S. Since Coronavirus Surfaced
There were 1,300 direct flights to 17 cities before President Trump’s travel restrictions. Since then, nearly 40,000 Americans and other authorized travelers have made the trip, some this past week and many with spotty screening.

"Since Chinese officials disclosed the outbreak of a mysterious pneumonialike illness to international health officials on New Year’s Eve, at least 430,000 people have arrived in the United States on direct flights from China, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after President Trump imposed restrictions on such travel, according to an analysis of data collected in both countries.

The bulk of the passengers, who were of multiple nationalities, arrived in January, at airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Newark and Detroit. Thousands of them flew directly from Wuhan, the center of the coronavirus outbreak, as American public health officials were only beginning to assess the risks to the United States."
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: April 5, 2020 02:45

Under Fire For Coronavirus Response, Trump Officials Defend Disbanding Pandemic Team

"Anticipating the likely investigation into their handling of the coronavirus outbreak, current and former Trump Administration officials are starting to push back on widespread allegations that the Administration’s cuts to critical global health staffing and funding may have hampered its response. Much of that attention has focused on the 2018 disbanding of a National Security Council unit focused on pandemic preparedness, which critics say left a leadership vacuum in global health security at the White House.

“We worked very well with that office,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Congress on March 11. “It would be nice if the office was still there.”
[time.com]

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 02:55

This looks promising. Neutralizing those corona (“crown”) spikes:

Immunologist says he has a possible cure for the coronavirus
By Victor Garcia | Fox News

Distributed Bio co-founder and CEO Jacob Glanville joined “Tucker Carlson Tonight”
Friday to talk about his company's laboratory engineering a therapeutic antibody to combat the coronavirus.

"So what we have done is we've engineered neutralizing antibodies that go and block the virus. The coronavirus, if you were to zoom in on it, you would see a series, a ring of spikes, and it uses those spikes to invade human cells," Glanville said. "We've identified a series of super potent antibodies that block those spikes and therefore make the virus no longer infectious."

"This is the thing that turned the tide against Ebola. The Ebola used to be a death sentence, about 50 percent mortality rate," Glanville said. "And then once a good antibody neutralizing solution was made, then I think 94 percent of people can walk away."
"So that transformed Ebola from a dangerous crisis to a manageable treatment," Glanville added.

The doctor also spoke about the advantages of antibodies over vaccines.

"We've also got antibodies to treat rabies. We've got antibodies to treat RSV in babies. Antibodies are used to for anti-venom. So this is extremely well-established platform technology. It has the advantage," Glanville said. "You can produce antibodies much faster than you can make a vaccine. And as I'd heard you mentioned previously on all that modeling, every day counts. We're venting an incredible amount of money out of our economy and risking lives. And so you want to have a medicine as quickly as possible."

Glanville outlined the process, hoping to go toward human trial this summer.
"Our next move is we hand this off to the U.S. military, a consortium from the Gates Foundation and some private groups. And all of them are going to test the potency of neutralization of our therapeutic. We're also working with Charles River Laboratories that runs safety and talks to make sure the stuff safe to put into people," Glanville said. "And we're going to go into a scaled up manufacturer. So at that point, what you do as you do a phase one last two human trial, and that's we're aiming to do that towards the end of the summer around August."

Date: April 5, 2020 02:57

People don’t watch roadrunner cartoons for reassurance and guidance in solving the worlds problems.
I’m not for banning anything and I despise censorship but when you are the leader of the free world you have a huge responsibility to convey the right messages when addressing people and he has given countless examples of why he is clearly inadequate at doing so.

Nate

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: April 5, 2020 03:04

Marianne Faithfull Hospitalized After Testing Positive for Coronavirus

Sad news.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-05 03:05 by Librarian.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: April 5, 2020 03:13

Adam Sandler

Quarentine Song

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 5, 2020 04:07

Whatever else, it is pretty irresponsible of a leader to go against the latest advice from his country's own experts (in this case, CDC) by saying that he's not going to wear a mask.

OK, that's up to him ("it's only a recommendation"), but does he really need to say out loud that he's not going to follow the recommendation? As already seen, there are people out there who lap up his words as gospel and act on them to their own detriment.

One of the reasons he gave was that he can't see himself wearing a mask when meeting and greeting the endless stream of presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings and queens who visit him at the White House. I hate to break it to him, but it seems highly unlikely in the coronavirus world of tight travel restrictions and social distancing that any foreign dignitary will be turning up there for a visit anytime soon!

Date: April 5, 2020 06:11

It's advancing technologies like this that will play a huge role in getting people out of their homes again.

An at-home fingerprick blood test may help detect your exposure to coronavirus
If approved, the blood test could show if your immune system has developed coronavirus antibodies. But a positive result isn't a license to return to work.

"Americans may soon be able to learn if they've ever been infected with COVID-19 with a prick of their finger and a smartphone — and without having to leave their homes.

A Los Angeles digital healthcare company called Scanwell Health is seeking U.S. government clearance for a kit that lets users submit a scanned image of a blood test to doctors via their phones. Within a few hours, according to the company, the user will learn whether the blood contains antibodies for coronavirus.

"The entire testing process happens at home," says Scanwell Chief Medical Officer Jack Jeng, "No specimen has to be shipped back."

A positive test result means a patient has been exposed to COVID-19 at some point in the past and has developed antibodies to fight it."
[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 5, 2020 11:27

I do sleep a few hours every day, so the fact that political posts do exist for a few hours does NOT mean they are allowed here. Then when I wake up I clean up and delete everything that is very political. I don't have all day so may be I delete one post too many, or one post too little.

Please do not take it personally, if I deleted your post, and please do not freak out if you see a post you do not agree on. I have a life and I don't read every word every statement, how political it is, if there is a hint of politics I did not see and so on. Thank you for your understanding.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 11:47

Somebody posted a comment that he founds funny the idea that the US president would do breafings in a mask. The post was deleted – I can see that it doesn’t really contribute to the topic – but it made me write a report about what is going on in our country. It is in fact a lot about politics and if bv deletes it, I understand it. But I sincerely believe it belongs here, since the development is really sinister and the less people are aware of it, the worse the consequencies will be. Here it is:

The whole country has been in a lock-down for 3 weeks now. Masks are compulsory for all people all the time outside the house, all government briefings are in masks. If you go into woods with your kids or you are alone in nature, you have to have a mask. I can see that masks might help quite a lot in a lot of situation, but the way it is implemented in our country has in many cases very little to do with the virus spread.

The masks are the smallest thing. Army and police is getting more and more power, the state is getting ready to take over big companies (or taking part in them, as it has been presented yesterday), there are peapers being prepared for the whole state power being put into the hands of the prime minister. In a couple of days the "smart quarantine" will be implemented - people's activities will be monitored via cell phones and credit cards all the time. If there would be a suspition (via the monitoring technologies) that somebody got close to anyone with coronavirus, he/she will be sent to an isolation (while the whole state quarantene lasts of course, though it is presented that this will actually help us to get out of the general quarantine. That is why it is "good" that people will be monitored all the time). Army is in charge of the whole project.

Do you think I am from China? No, I live in the Czech Republic – in the very heart of Europe. From the limited info I have I understand, that the situation in Hungary is even worse.

I think the consequencies and casualities at least in our country will be way worse than what the virus might ever cause. A nurse "suddenly died" this week after she has been all over the media because she got the virus and she was with her patients (not knowing she had it). She posted some desperate post on social media about the stress she was subjected to and died the next day. Sudden death is the official cause of her death. She was killed by the hunt of the media supported by the politicians.

I am sure if we counted all the people that will get cancer and other illnesses going, will drink themselves to death, commit suicides etc. because of the "war with virus," we would get an interesting picture of the whole thing. But we never will. And I am only talking about human lives, not about economy and the drastic changes in democracy and freedom as such that many countries will go through and that will most likely stay for years or decades, some will stay for good.

I sincerely wish you this would not happen in your country, wherever you live.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-05 12:25 by Happy24.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home