Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 4, 2020 00:51

georgie48
EddieByword
Anybody heard anything about getting an infection twice?

A friend of mine was ill about a month ago. She recovered and went back to work. Then last week her husband got it and she also got sick again.............

The Health Secretary for the UK, Matt Hancock said on the BBC, last night, that the science on whether people were immune after recovering was "unclear"............

Anyone else have any personal experience or experience of someone you know of getting sick twice?

One can be infected more than once where it comes to virusses. A typical example is the "ordinary" flu. Over the decades I have experienced it several times. At first I was surprised, but indeed virusses can make modifications within themselves. It's not a scientific proof from my part, but the second infection was dealt with more effectively by the body every time (aparently anti bodies also have a kind of intelligence). What I also noticed was that after such a "double" infection I didn't catch the flu for many (6 to 8) years.
Anyone have had similar experiences?

There are many many different strains of flu. So surely each one is unique in it's own way, as is Corona. Not sure if when you 'get flu' you know which strain it is?

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: April 4, 2020 01:18

jlowe
georgie48
EddieByword
Anybody heard anything about getting an infection twice?

A friend of mine was ill about a month ago. She recovered and went back to work. Then last week her husband got it and she also got sick again.............

The Health Secretary for the UK, Matt Hancock said on the BBC, last night, that the science on whether people were immune after recovering was "unclear"............

Anyone else have any personal experience or experience of someone you know of getting sick twice?

One can be infected more than once where it comes to virusses. A typical example is the "ordinary" flu. Over the decades I have experienced it several times. At first I was surprised, but indeed virusses can make modifications within themselves. It's not a scientific proof from my part, but the second infection was dealt with more effectively by the body every time (aparently anti bodies also have a kind of intelligence). What I also noticed was that after such a "double" infection I didn't catch the flu for many (6 to 8) years.
Anyone have had similar experiences?

There are many many different strains of flu. So surely each one is unique in it's own way, as is Corona. Not sure if when you 'get flu' you know which strain it is?

A lab test can determine which strain specifically but that takes time and money. I have been tested for Flu and Strep throat before. Luckily it was not the flu but I was told the clinic test determines if it is or is not flu and not which strain. That an is additional test.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 4, 2020 02:27

In the Philippines the President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military and the police to shoot and kill anyone caught breaking the Coronavirus lockdown rules.

Nate

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 03:50

DGA35
In Canada, I think the federal and provincial governments have done a decent job. Not sure about other countries right now, but in BC we get daily updates from the federal and provincial governments. Everyone is supposed to stay home unless absolutely necessary. In Canada as of today, there have been officially 9005 people who have contracted the virus, 105 have passed and 1253 have recovered. In BC, 1000 have contracted the virus and 24 have passed. On a positive note, 507 have recovered so some good news! Hopefully everyone follows the government orders and stays home and maintains the 2 meter distance when they're out, and wash your hands a lot!
What was the opportunity to get ahead of this crisis? The WHO said on February 2,there was no need to shut down borders.Thank God America stopped people from China coming into America.Feb3.The world wasn’t even told till the end of January the virus could be contacted from human to human.This virus most likely came from people eating unsanitary wild animals.Go vegan ,go impossible burger.Where I live in New York Citywe have one of the lowest icu hospital bed per person in America.We need to study countries like Sweden and Norway as to how to run a medical sys

Date: April 4, 2020 04:28

I have a Q re. stats.
Take some number's from DGA's post just for an example. It will say 9005 contracted; 105 passed; 1253 recovered. What is the deal with the ca. other 7700?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 07:59

Palace Revolution 2000
I have a Q re. stats.
Take some number's from DGA's post just for an example. It will say 9005 contracted; 105 passed; 1253 recovered. What is the deal with the ca. other 7700?

I'm assuming the other 7700 are either at home in self quarantine, or if they're really bad, in the hospital.
In BC, 1174 have now caught it, but 673 have now recovered, so that's an amazing 57%. 146 are currently in the hospital with 64 in ICU. 35 have now unfortunately passed away, almost all of those have been in long term care nursing homes. Read yesterday that the average age of those deceased is 85.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 08:08

Taylor1
DGA35
In Canada, I think the federal and provincial governments have done a decent job. Not sure about other countries right now, but in BC we get daily updates from the federal and provincial governments. Everyone is supposed to stay home unless absolutely necessary. In Canada as of today, there have been officially 9005 people who have contracted the virus, 105 have passed and 1253 have recovered. In BC, 1000 have contracted the virus and 24 have passed. On a positive note, 507 have recovered so some good news! Hopefully everyone follows the government orders and stays home and maintains the 2 meter distance when they're out, and wash your hands a lot!
What was the opportunity to get ahead of this crisis? The WHO said on February 2,there was no need to shut down borders.Thank God America stopped people from China coming into America.Feb3.The world wasn’t even told till the end of January the virus could be contacted from human to human.This virus most likely came from people eating unsanitary wild animals.Go vegan ,go impossible burger.Where I live in New York Citywe have one of the lowest icu hospital bed per person in America.We need to study countries like Sweden and Norway as to how to run a medical sys

One opportunity would have been for some governments to take action sooner, most important mandatory self isolating. Closing down bars/nightclubs and only allowing restaurants to have takeout. In Canada, pretty much the only things open now are grocery stores and pharmacies. All non essential retail outlets are closed, some voluntarily.
Florida just called for mandatory self isolation yesterday as did Alabama. Not sure what took them so long, just because they haven't seen the spread like New York doesn't mean it's not coming for them.
Man I hope things get better in New York City soon. Seeing Cuomo getting into disagreements with Trump over the need for medical supplies is ridiculous!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 4, 2020 09:27

Nate
In the Philippines the President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the military and the police to shoot and kill anyone caught breaking the Coronavirus lockdown rules.

Nate

... and in India I hear the police beat you with sticks if you go out of your house during the lockdown ...

Some people simply do not listen. May be it takes a stick or a bullet to understand.

Bjornulf

Date: April 4, 2020 11:24

This is a sad story really, but it is telling us all how important it is to stay at home, especially when you are sick.

Bus driver Jason Hargrove spoke to the people of Detroit on video March 21, trying to get them to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously.

He was upset that a woman had taken no measures to cover her coughing when she was on his bus.

"For us to get through this and get over this, y'all need to take this seriously," he said with an expletive thrown in. ... There's folks dying out here."

Four days later Hargrove, 50, got sick. He died Wednesday night. It isn't clear how he got Covid-19.

See the story and the video posted by bus driver Jason Hargrove:

Detroit bus driver dies from coronavirus days after making angry video about coughing passenger (CNN)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 11:29 by bv.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 4, 2020 11:39

Then there is Belarus, where people are getting arrested and beaten if they mention the word Coronavirus and their leader suggests the people drink vodka and visit saunas to keep strong. How do you think that is going to work out? Bunch of dead tough guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 11:43 by Javadave.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 4, 2020 12:42

bv
Nate

Nate

... and in India I hear the police beat you with sticks if you go out of your house during the lockdown ...

Some people simply do not listen. May be it takes a stick or a bullet to understand.

This is the most stupid thing you have ever written.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 4, 2020 12:50

bv

Here in Victoria (Australia) we're not in a 'formal' lockdown... unlesss...

If you have returned from overseas then you are obliged - OBLIGED - to quarantine yourself at home for 14 days. That means no - NO - going out. Full stop. If you need supplies, then arrange for someone to drop them off.

On Friday (our time) the local police made 391 checks that people were obeying the quarantine.... and 99 - NINETY NINE - were not home.

Unless they have a amazing excuse (and medical trips is not one of them), they'll be fined quite a lot. Personally I reckon that they should all be publicly named and shamed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:09

Maybe the short term solution to the economic devastation the virus has inflicted on the world economy is to get as many people tested for antibodies.If someone by this test is shown to have the antibody ,they could go back to work assuming they can’t catch the virus again.This would also apply to all the people who never showed signs of the illness.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:20

TooTough
bv
Nate

Nate

Chilling. Surreal how quickly the world went into lockdowm; the threats of naming and shaming, and a stick or a bullet to understand, more commonplace on various forums but never thought I would read it here.

Some other voices being heard, including here in Ireland. If tests on antibodies in the blood could be administeted, to determine the real deniminator in the Fatality Rate formula. In time yes, but resources we simply do not have right now. The Government initially proposed coccooning for the over 70 population, simply as the percetage of people both admitted to ICU and sadly passing away who were over 70 was 99%. The median age currently in this country 82. This was proposed to allow a majority to keep our economy going to avoid a lost decade if the economy, in virtual shut down, dies.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:23

A lot of companies, including national, in Florida think that COVID-19 will peak around April 15, Thus they are allowing most employees to return to work on May 1, including schools.

This strategy seems counterintuitive as news reports suggest that we are still in the early phase of this evil virus.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 4, 2020 14:37

bv
Nate

Nate

In India things are not so simple. Many families don't have a home and live in the streets. In what house should they stay? In rural areas houses often have only one room and no toilet and the latrine is somewhere a bit outside the village. I could well imagine that people there are not very fond of the idea of shitting in the corner of their room for the weeks to come. Also, how would food come to your house if there is no delivery service and everybody else has to stay at home? Many people are day labourers earning a handful of rupees each day to feed there families. They have the choice between going out trying to earn a few coins, possibly being beaten up and contracting the virus or starving to death in their shelter. You can't compare India with better-developed countries. Dealing with a highly contagious desease like the CoVid19 in countries like India is not a simple matter.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:15

bv
This is a sad story really, but it is telling us all how important it is to stay at home, especially when you are sick.

Bus driver Jason Hargrove spoke to the people of Detroit on video March 21, trying to get them to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously.

He was upset that a woman had taken no measures to cover her coughing when she was on his bus.

"For us to get through this and get over this, y'all need to take this seriously," he said with an expletive thrown in. ... There's folks dying out here."

Four days later Hargrove, 50, got sick. He died Wednesday night. It isn't clear how he got Covid-19.

See the story and the video posted by bus driver Jason Hargrove:

Detroit bus driver dies from coronavirus days after making angry video about coughing passenger (CNN)

So many ignorant self-centered people out there.
This was my first week wearing a (homemade) mask out in public (only twice for shopping).
Took me all of about five minutes to not care what it looked like, as I watched so many people standing too close, coughing sneezing etc in line. The masks help in a few ways. The obvious ones (protect from others coughing, sneezing etc, protects others if I am carrying the virus) but also helps in letting people know you are taking this seriously and they are more apt to giving you the required space.

I also wear disposable latex gloves, which help in a few ways as well. A constant reminder not to touch your face, and after groceries are loaded in the car, a quick way to insure if you did touch something with the virus on it, you are shedding it before you touch your car etc. Put on another pair when I get home, unload and wipe down groceries, then dispose.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:23

doitywoik
bv
Nate

Nate

In India things are not so simple. Many families don't have a home and live in the streets. In what house should they stay? In rural areas houses often have only one room and no toilet and the latrine is somewhere a bit outside the village. I could well imagine that people there are not very fond of the idea of shitting in the corner of their room for the weeks to come. Also, how would food come to your house if there is no delivery service and everybody else has to stay at home? Many people are day labourers earning a handful of rupees each day to feed there families. They have the choice between going out trying to earn a few coins, possibly being beaten up and contracting the virus or starving to death in their shelter. You can't compare India with better-developed countries. Dealing with a highly contagious desease like the CoVid19 in countries like India is not a simple matter.

You're right, even in some parts of the USA, like in Los Angeles there are neighborhoods of homeless people.
What do you say to these people? Only now do we realize them?

Date: April 4, 2020 15:51

This is a great report on how the virus may turn out more deadly with higher amounts:

These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous
As with any other poison, viruses are usually deadlier in larger amounts.
(New York Times)

The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.
High-risk sites for high-dose exposure, like stadiums and convention venues, should remain shuttered. Risky but essential services like public transportation should be allowed to operate — but people must follow safety measures such as wearing masks, maintaining physical spacing and never commuting with a fever.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 16:01 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:52

Testify
You're right, even in some parts of the USA, like in Los Angeles there are neighborhoods of homeless people.
What do you say to these people? Only now do we realize them?

In a city where tens of thousands of hotel rooms sit empty, this is what Las Vegas comes up with to help the homeless stay isolated etc. Shameful.
In Seattle and elsewhere, the city has rented some hotels to help house who need to be isolated.
Post pandemic, many things will change because of it, hopefully how we deal with homelessness will be one.

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-04 15:57 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 4, 2020 15:58

TooTough
bv
Nate

Nate

I say "may be" ...

In USA people are now buying guns to protect themselves, not just toilet paper, according to reports. In Norway criminals spit into the face of the police while doing illegal acts, claiming they have the virus. They think the police will let them go. Last night the police in Norway had to close down a number of parties at night; we have a limit of five people to meet up, they broke the law.

If you bring on a deadly virus on purpose, during a lockdown, then I think it is perfectly fine for the police to use their sticks if you spit in their face and make a big laugh of them. I do not see any reason for protecting idiots who put other people's life at risk on purpose, just for the fun of it.

Dirty Harry is still one of my favorites, remember.

Bjornulf

Date: April 4, 2020 16:27

I was thinking that one place of easy transmission of this crazy virus is the self -service gasoline pumps.

You touch the payment touch dials
You grab the pump handle
If you clean windshield to touch the squeegie.

Toilet Paper is still in demand in S, Florida. Folks are still hoarding.

Gun sales are definitely up - there isa waiting period & background check so I don't know how long process would take; especially during these challenging times I do not own a gun but I started thinking about purchasing one because I don't think this evil virus is going away in a month- as most advisers are suggesting. Very naive thinking.

Just saw Clint Eastwood in a movie on ShowTime - The Mule. Great Movie.

Other movies to consider during this downtime -

Parasites & 1917

Date: April 4, 2020 16:36

How is a gun going to help you defeat a virus?

Nate

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 4, 2020 16:39

bv
TooTough
bv
Nate

Nate

I say "may be" ...

In USA people are now buying guns to protect themselves, not just toilet paper, according to reports. In Norway criminals spit into the face of the police while doing illegal acts, claiming they have the virus. They think the police will let them go. Last night the police in Norway had to close down a number of parties at night; we have a limit of five people to meet up, they broke the law.

If you bring on a deadly virus on purpose, during a lockdown, then I think it is perfectly fine for the police to use their sticks if you spit in their face and make a big laugh of them. I do not see any reason for protecting idiots who put other people's life at risk on purpose, just for the fun of it.

Dirty Harry is still one of my favorites, remember.

The countries that are willing to shoot people or beat them up with sticks are the same countries that were always willing to use those methods before the virus. Of course idiots have to be kept in line, and I suppose if they are used to violent enforcement, gentler methods are not going to work there. That doesn't mean that one solution fits all.

Date: April 4, 2020 16:46

Nate
How is a gun going to help you defeat a virus?

Nate

Hi Nate -

(w /no offense)

Of course not. Why people are rapidly buying guns?, Because the Unemployment rate is now nearly 5%. We're talking about millions that may be displaced or broke. desperation looms , which makes folks commit crimes out of their norm

This makes people nervous about their property or well being.

Date: April 4, 2020 16:58

Yeah I understand that.I live in the U.K. so we don’t have guns here but I do agree with the right to defend your family if someone is entering your property then I do believe you should be within your rights to stop them.

Nate

Date: April 4, 2020 17:12

Nate
Yeah I understand that.I live in the U.K. so we don’t have guns here but I do agree with the right to defend your family if someone is entering your property then I do believe you should be within your rights to stop them.

Nate

Crimes are already happening on a corporate level. 3M was selling face protectors to any customers who provided cash up front. At same time, Nurse and Doctors here in USA on the FRONT LINES were short of protective gear. They have yet to aploogize-

Another, scumbag was arrested for hoarding face protectors - he purchased 1000s of face masks and was selling to Doctors and Nurses at 700% markup - he was arrested . Our country is uptight.

Date: April 4, 2020 17:32

Report W-almart: Stuart Forida- Wife said everyone, like herself, in store were wearing, surgical face-masks, bandannas and even dish washing gloves that go up the arms. She said everybody.

For unknown reasons, Toilet Paper is still being hoarded.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 17:34

Nate

Nate

In the U.K. you are very much within your legal rights to stop them by use of “reasonable force”, which obviously does not include use of guns. “Reasonable force” is an imprecise term though and there’s been a court case or 10 down the years.

A couple of years before he died, George Harrison was stabbed by a knife wielding intruder at his home. Wife Olivia smashed a lamp over said intruder’s head and clobbered him a couple of times before the Police came and arrested him. When there’s a genuine threat to human life then anything goes but still not guns. Not in the U.K. anyway.

Date: April 4, 2020 17:52

Just Reported - NYC Burglaries up 75% by Wall Street Journal

Source:

[www.wsj.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50