Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 1, 2020 21:11

exhpart
So weird how symptoms vary. In the UK today we had a report of someone who only had the loss of taste symptom - nothing else. Must say those of you still talking about a couple of weeks and all will be well are going to be sadly disappointed. We have just heard Edinburgh Festival cancelled today (Aug/Sept)

I had a meal in a restaurant in Soho London a few weeks ago.I had a Dover sole with shrimp and weirdly I would eat a shrimp and it tasted great then a few seconds later eat another shrimp and it tasted of absolutely nothing.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 1, 2020 21:43

Nate
exhpart
So weird how symptoms vary. In the UK today we had a report of someone who only had the loss of taste symptom - nothing else. Must say those of you still talking about a couple of weeks and all will be well are going to be sadly disappointed. We have just heard Edinburgh Festival cancelled today (Aug/Sept)

I had a meal in a restaurant in Soho London a few weeks ago.I had a Dover sole with shrimp and weirdly I would eat a shrimp and it tasted great then a few seconds later eat another shrimp and it tasted of absolutely nothing.

Nate

My first thought was.. nah that's just London seafood. My whole life, I've heard how good fish n chips are in London. Known worldwide for it etc. I go there for the Stones tour, and tried..many. All great reviewed places. Come away convinced that the reason they put so much vinegar on it is to add taste, as it has none. Never been so glad to get back to Seattle
for real fish tasting fish n chips cool smiley They do make good breading though.

Date: April 1, 2020 23:45

This was at a restaurant callled Randall and Aubin a very high quality seafood restaurant in Soho.I have eaten there many times and it’s always great I highly recommend it for anyone visiting London they have a website for anyone that’s interested.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 23:46 by Nate.

Date: April 2, 2020 00:19

Nate
This was at a restaurant callled Randall and Aubin a very high quality seafood restaurant in Soho.I have eaten there many times and it’s always great I highly recommend it for anyone visiting London they have a website for anyone that’s interested.

Nate

I kid..I kid.. (kinda). Ate at the finest to the neighborhood take outs, all over the UK. Just an opinion cool smiley

Date: April 2, 2020 00:24

MisterDDDD
Nate

Nate

I kid..I kid.. (kinda). Ate at the finest to the neighborhood take outs, all over the UK. Just an opinion cool smiley

No worries I wasn’t referring to your comments regarding fish and chips which indeed can be lousy or very good.I was just reiterating that I doubt it was the quality of the food that I had in that restaurant that meant some of the shrimps had no taste.Of course I have no way of knowing if I’ve had the virus as no one gets tested here unless admitted to hospital but I think there is a decent chance I have had this virus as other people around me have had similar and worse symptoms.

Nate

Date: April 2, 2020 00:37

The government here in the U.K. keeps promising to get testing up to 25,000 tests a day but even at that rate it would take around 8 years to get everyone in the country tested.Of course not everyone in the country may need to be tested but it would certainly be smart to introduce much wider testing and also introduce a legacy test to know if people have had it and are now clear so we can get the economy moving in the right direction again.The current policy just proves how stupidly shortsighted the people in power are.

Nate

Posted by: curt ()
Date: April 2, 2020 01:12

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: April 2, 2020 13:06

Nate
The government here in the U.K. keeps promising to get testing up to 25,000 tests a day but even at that rate it would take around 8 years to get everyone in the country tested.Of course not everyone in the country may need to be tested but it would certainly be smart to introduce much wider testing and also introduce a legacy test to know if people have had it and are now clear so we can get the economy moving in the right direction again.The current policy just proves how stupidly shortsighted the people in power are.

Nate

I work nationally in the NHS on communications and the polticial will has changed in the last 24 hours (rightly or wrongly the media coverage is linked to this) plan is now 100k tests per day with 3.5m test kits ordered. HOWEVER it's cripplingly slow progress so far. I'd anticipate a lot more positive figures over next 10 days or so - it's very difficult to manage what you can't measure.
as an aside Andorra is testing its entire population (but that's only 77k people)

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 2, 2020 13:34

This may seem like a silly question but suppose I had a test and the results showed that all is well, how soon would I have to re-test.
I assume they are only accurate for the day in question.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 2, 2020 13:47

jlowe
This may seem like a silly question but suppose I had a test and the results showed that all is well, how soon would I have to re-test.
I assume they are only accurate for the day in question.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2020 14:06

About testing:

The coronavirus test is valid for the day you take the test only. You may be negative one day, then positive the next day. Or the other way around. What they test for, is the presence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the COVID-19 disease.

The antibody test would be more important in finding out if you did have the covid-19 infection/disease.

Coronavirus testing is ramping up. Here are the new tests and how they work.

How antibody tests work and could help fight the coronavirus

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 14:07 by bv.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 2, 2020 14:11

I have wondered about this too. You could do a test (and be negative) stroll out of the testing centre and get infected that instant.

How can we ever cope with that?

Date: April 2, 2020 14:21

peoplewitheyes
I have wondered about this too. You could do a test (and be negative) stroll out of the testing centre and get infected that instant.

How can we ever cope with that?

Yes. The test is simply stating if - or if not - you carry the virus right now. If you take the test, then take the bus, or took the bus yesterday, with sick people, then the test might be negative today, then positive tomorrow.

The test is important in order to know if you do carry the virus, i.e. positive test, but a negative test is just telling you are negative right now.

To be compared, if you almost got run over by a car, a "hit by car" test will be negative. Still, the next minute or next day, you may get run over by another car, and then the "hit by car" test will be positive.

Bjornulf

Date: April 2, 2020 15:08

In a sense then the test has less value than the MOT annual test carried out on vehicles 3plus years old. At least with those you get 'Advisory' comments which are telling the vehicle owner of potential problems which need sorting in the short term.
Though I accept that the value of a car cannot be compared to the value of someones life. Though a faulty car can kill, quite obviously.

Date: April 2, 2020 15:26

Masks may be recommended by WHO. Not because they protect that much from getting the virus, but rather because it is preventing the virus from spreading from people who do have the virus, but they have no symptoms.

Until now, the WHO has suggested that masks are mostly useful for protecting other people if you have symptoms such as coughs and sneezes that could spread droplets. But Heymann said the realisation that a lot of transmission of Covid-19 occurs before symptoms raises the possibility that masks could help stop the spread among people before symptoms emerge.

“One or two days before symptoms develop, it seems [people] may be shedding virus at that time and it may be that if they’re talking and spewing droplets around they may be spreading the virus,” he said.

WHO considers changing guidance on wearing face masks (The Guardian)

Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms

Bjornulf

Date: April 2, 2020 15:30

jlowe
In a sense then the test has less value than the MOT annual test carried out on vehicles 3plus years old. At least with those you get 'Advisory' comments which are telling the vehicle owner of potential problems which need sorting in the short term.
Though I accept that the value of a car cannot be compared to the value of someones life. Though a faulty car can kill, quite obviously.

I used the car crash analogy as an example. It was not supposed to be taken literally. Another example would be taking a HIV test. If you take it, you may be negative, but later on, you may of course be positive, for various reasons.

The corona virus is invisible. You take the test and may be you are negative. But as you go home from the test, you may get the virus same day or the day after, and then be positive.

Bjornulf

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 2, 2020 15:31

bv
I watched NY Gov Cuomo at the press conference from Albany NY today. He said NY state had ordered 17,000 ventilators at $25,000 each from China, but he will get just 2,500. He is competing with all of the other 49 states plus the federal, he said.

Then the US President said on Sunday he had instructed GM to manufacture hundreds of thousands of ventilators. So why does both the fed and the separate states compete on buying ventilators from China?

NEW YORK GOVERNOR CUOMO SAYS HAS ORDERED 17,000 VENTILATORS FROM CHINA, AT A PRICE OF ABOUT $25,000 EACH

BV,

I think it is mostly because the supplies are needed ASAP, and the auto plants are still in the process of converting their factories over to produce ventilators instead of cars, so it will be a little while before production actually starts seeing a finished product. And with the rate that our new cases are going up, we will soon be out of ventilators, especially in the NYC area. They are now saying that if you suffer a heart attack and the EMT's cannot revive you in house, they are going to leave you there because there is no room for you at the hospitals due to the # of patients with COVID there. There is no room for people suffering major health issues at the moment. So the ventilators are of immediate concern so that these make shift hospitals can be fully equipped I do believe.

Low level prisoners are now being released back into society due to the virus hitting prisons and so as to create the needed social distancing. I say leave them all in their cells, omit daily exercise, and bring the meals to them so as to limit the spread. With 1400 NYC police officers now out of work from the virus, is it really wise to release criminals back out into society? Hence the reason why people in upstate NY are now stock piling guns and ammo more than ever. They fear people from the City trying to move North until this all blows over.

VL13

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 19:00 by VoodooLounge13.

Date: April 2, 2020 15:53

CNN just reported that 39 out of 50 states in USA do now have stay-at-home orders. The remaining 11 are still "open for business" as it seems. The federal take on not doing a nationwide "stay-at-home" is because they do not "see" the virus in all states. That is what they said about NYC too a few weeks back.

Even if Americans follow mitigation measures closely, the US death toll could be at least 100,000, White House experts said this week. But without those measures in place, that number could be as high as 2.2 million, Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said.

'What are you waiting for?' California governor appeals to 11 states that haven't ordered residents to stay home

Bjornulf

Date: April 2, 2020 16:08

Over in Marbella, Costa del sol, Spain, construction work on new mansions may have been put on hold.
But...dog walkers gardeners, security staff and maids in many areas are still seen out and about.
Essential work, eh?!
And Spain overall is having a very very tough time at the moment, second only to Italy I believe.

Date: April 2, 2020 16:11

Yesterday Trump was talking at the daily press conference from the White House dancing around the important questions as usual whilst grinning and telling everyone how fantastic it was that he was number one on Facebook.

I fear for America.

Nate

Date: April 2, 2020 16:33

bv
Masks may be recommended by WHO. Not because they protect that much from getting the virus, but rather because it is preventing the virus from spreading from people who do have the virus, but they have no symptoms.

Until now, the WHO has suggested that masks are mostly useful for protecting other people if you have symptoms such as coughs and sneezes that could spread droplets. But Heymann said the realisation that a lot of transmission of Covid-19 occurs before symptoms raises the possibility that masks could help stop the spread among people before symptoms emerge.

“One or two days before symptoms develop, it seems [people] may be shedding virus at that time and it may be that if they’re talking and spewing droplets around they may be spreading the virus,” he said.

WHO considers changing guidance on wearing face masks (The Guardian)

Iceland lab's testing suggests 50% of coronavirus cases have no symptoms

The Skagit Valley Choir incident (<30 mi from me) where many got the virus after a rehearsal where they practiced distancing measures etc., got a lot of peoples attention.
(2 dead, 45 sick) [www.cnn.com]

Masks are more common place here now out in public.
The Mayor of LA has recommended all residents wear masks now as well. [www.msn.com]

Many are making homemade masks, my wife is an emergency dispatcher and their center has received many homemade masks, of which one I will be wearing shopping today.
Relatively easy to make and doesn't deplete the supply for healthcare workers.
[www.vox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-02 16:47 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 2, 2020 16:40

Nate
Yesterday Trump was talking at the daily press conference from the White House dancing around the important questions as usual whilst grinning and telling everyone how fantastic it was that he was number one on Facebook.

I fear for America.

Nate

Same. Insult to injury, and unsurprisingly, the statement wasn't even true (Obama has millions more for ex).
These press conferences are designed now to replace the political rallies. Not even trying to distance themselves from each other, touching the mic, shaking hands. Disgraceful.
Major news stations are starting to not carry them live.
God help us.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 2, 2020 17:08

Nate

I fear for America.

Nate

Don't worry Nate we'll be fine despite the white noise.....how's old hand shakes doing?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 2, 2020 18:03

Nate

I fear for America.

Nate
That is how we feel in the States . Pretty scary !

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 2, 2020 19:37

Complicating things as far as symptoms go is allergy season is in full effect at least where I live. Of course, I have been wearing mask & gloves the few times I go out since all this started but people still stare if you cough from pollen. People are very afraid & rightly so. My doctor says fever is the key thing to watch. If that goes up for me it will be time to get another test.

Date: April 2, 2020 19:41

Maindefender
Nate

I fear for America.

Nate

Don't worry Nate we'll be fine despite the white noise.....how's old hand shakes doing?

Old Boris is probably enjoying the fact that the Coservatives are polling 54% with Labour next on 28%. That translates to a majority of 230, ie a landslide. Cannot remember the last time a sitting Government had such a commanding lead.

Date: April 2, 2020 19:53

Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences."
[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 2, 2020 20:15

MisterDDDD
Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences."
[www.cnn.com]

Yes, the "sp" and the "sh" sounds in English produce a spray, and one has to assume that includes atomized water droplets that are contaminated with the virus that can linger in the air for up to three hours. Just think of the dust you see in the air in a sunbeam.

So if you say "Spanish" you are producing a double spray.

That means if you live in an apartment building the hallways could be contaminated. Hence the need for an N95 mask to protect yourself.

I honestly think that some of these wishy-washy health leaders and politicians that first gave bad advice about masks, and now are in a befuddled debate about making a decision on masks, are candidates for criminal prosecution after this crisis is over.

Probably more than two-thirds of the information out there doesn't even make a distinction between surgical-type cloth masks and the N95-type mask. Just that in itself is gross misconduct.

Date: April 2, 2020 20:54

There is a reason why people are asked to keep more than 2 meter / 6 feet distance. Still some leaders run PR conferences with a bunch of people a whole lot closer. History will tell how smart that is.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2020 21:57

MileHigh
MisterDDDD

[www.cnn.com]

Yes, the "sp" and the "sh" sounds in English produce a spray, and one has to assume that includes atomized water droplets that are contaminated with the virus that can linger in the air for up to three hours. Just think of the dust you see in the air in a sunbeam.

So if you say "Spanish" you are producing a double spray.

It's a little late in life to switch to French as my native language. Better to just stay indoors!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home