Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 28, 2020 18:41

bv
The total of coronavirus sick in hospital in Norway is today down to 291, from the yesterday's high of 303.

Oversikt over innlagte pasienter med covid-19 per 28. mars (NHI = Norwegian Directorate of Health)

(English: Overview of hospitalized patients with covid-19 as of March 28)

Comment:
Lockdown have been in place since March 12, and it seems to work so far, as per the numbers above, among others.

Countries with so few cases should do massive testing and isolate anyone who's sick. The isolaion worked in France from January to the end of February but then there was a massive spread due to a religious gathering of 2000+ people where some people were infected then it got out of control. In Italy they didn't do any damage control and it got out of control right away. Now with the "The Hammer" approach the idea is to get back to a situation where it's manageable with sick people being put in isolation. Also it will help that many people will have acquired immunity...which won't be the case in countries where there have been few cases.

In case some here haven't read it here is "The Hammer and The Dance" very thorough analysis : [medium.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 28, 2020 20:45

My brother tells me he has heard of a scientific report which states that due to 'cleaner air' / less pollution at the current time, there may be less premature deaths. The number may even exceed the number of deaths from coronavirus.
Speculative, of course.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 28, 2020 23:27

Just to add evidence of Boris' actually saying that stuff about shaking hands (and not someone having hijacked his twitter...

Watch this... [www.youtube.com]

From the horse's mouth. (That's an old English saying, not a comment on Mr Johnson!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 29, 2020 01:04

Has no one learned the lesson from Boris and those of his colleagues so far affected by Covid-19? Today’s news footage shows both Trump and Putin standing or sitting right next to others.

And also - shockingly - a Russian doctor in a church saying that it’s impossible to be infected in a church because churches are holy places! An attitude reminiscent of denials by South African leaders about HIV/AIDS and their refusal to make antiretroviral treatment available, which led to many thousands of needless deaths.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 29, 2020 01:50

Beast
Has no one learned the lesson from Boris and those of his colleagues so far affected by Covid-19? Today’s news footage shows both Trump and Putin standing or sitting right next to others...

His comments about handshaking were just so arrogant and irresponsible. This asshat was given the best information and advice, before anyone else, and determinedly ignored it. I would really like to see someone he infected sue him into bankruptcy. Trump, sadly, has already done the bankruptcy thing and it didn’t seen to affect him.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 29, 2020 04:36

Sockers56
Another question: China currently has 81,394 cases with 74,391 recovered. The US has 104,192 cases but only 2,522 recovered. Why the disparity between so few recovered in the US?

It takes a few weeks. I will either end of dead or recovered. Still don't know which one.

There is so much stupidity about the virus on here from people who are lucky they haven't gotten it yet, I am sure their opinions would change if/when they get a good case of it,

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 29, 2020 04:41

Beast
Has no one learned the lesson from Boris and those of his colleagues so far affected by Covid-19? Today’s news footage shows both Trump and Putin standing or sitting right next to others.

And also - shockingly - a Russian doctor in a church saying that it’s impossible to be infected in a church because churches are holy places! An attitude reminiscent of denials by South African leaders about HIV/AIDS and their refusal to make antiretroviral treatment available, which led to many thousands of needless deaths.

Lots of dumbasses like that in America. Let them hold hands, pray and die.

[wgntv.com]

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: March 29, 2020 05:38

daspyknows
Beast

Totally uncalled for, wishing for people to die. Is it risky? Yeah, most likely but wishing for people to die is wrong.

[wgntv.com]

Date: March 29, 2020 06:56

StonedAsiaExile
daspyknows
Beast

Totally uncalled for, wishing for people to die. Is it risky? Yeah, most likely but wishing for people to die is wrong.

[wgntv.com]

In case anyone didn't spot the link in the above posting (strange formatting) here it is again...

[wgntv.com]

It's Boris level mind boggling.

Here's a taster...

Throughout the service parishioners could be seen touching each other and closely gathering, very few wearing masks or gloves.

Spell says if anyone in his congregation contracts covid-19 he will heal them through God.

“I’m going to address that by laying hands on them and praying for them and depending on God to heal their body,” Spell said.

Governor Edwards when asked addressed the controversial service with his same message from the beginning.

“I would urge that faith leaders and all faith leaders to heed this directive and not necessarily engage in mass gatherings where this coronavirus can spread,” Edwards said.

Not something I understand in the slightest.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 29, 2020 08:42

daspyknows
Beast

[wgntv.com]

As a religious person myself, I HATED the practice of shaking hands with your neighbors on a weekly basis so much I'd carry Purell with me or get up immediately mid-service and go to the bathroom and wash my hands.

I also subscribe to God gave us brains and scientists for a reason, not to ignore logic and assume we're protected.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 29, 2020 08:49

CaptainCorella

In case anyone didn't spot the link in the above posting (strange formatting) here it is again...

[wgntv.com]

It's Boris level mind boggling.

Here's a taster...

Throughout the service parishioners could be seen touching each other and closely gathering, very few wearing masks or gloves.

Spell says if anyone in his congregation contracts covid-19 he will heal them through God.

“I’m going to address that by laying hands on them and praying for them and depending on God to heal their body,” Spell said.

Governor Edwards when asked addressed the controversial service with his same message from the beginning.

“I would urge that faith leaders and all faith leaders to heed this directive and not necessarily engage in mass gatherings where this coronavirus can spread,” Edwards said.

Not something I understand in the slightest.

I live in Louisiana, and you can see what our governor is up against, try as he may. This is not an uncommon attitude here. I've had to cancel non-urgent medical appointments that the doctors in question should have been calling ME to cancel--if the medical profession aren't taking it seriously enough, no wonder these mega-churches don't feel they need to. (I guarantee that when parishioners start dying, they will acknowledge no correlation with incidents like this at all.)

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: March 29, 2020 09:06

All churches in Australia were ordered to close by the Federal Government last Monday. The USA would be wise to do the same thing. Things seem to be getting out of control in the USA and it is alarming to read the above stories relating to it.

Date: March 29, 2020 09:28

Aquamarine

I live in Louisiana, and you can see what our governor is up against, try as he may. This is not an uncommon attitude here. I've had to cancel non-urgent medical appointments that the doctors in question should have been calling ME to cancel--if the medical profession aren't taking it seriously enough, no wonder these mega-churches don't feel they need to. (I guarantee that when parishioners start dying, they will acknowledge no correlation with incidents like this at all.)

I live in Australia, and here we have DOCTORS doing this...
[www.theage.com.au]

And there's no excuse for that. Given that it's known who was on the inbound flight, I wonder if the Police will go after the unaccounted around the country. IMHO they ought to in order to make an example of them.

If senior medical professionals are not 'behaving' what chance getting the average member of the community to do the right thing?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 29, 2020 11:56

Beast

Proving the point once again that religion makes morally normal people do and say evil things.

Nate

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 29, 2020 12:13

Many politicians have said things they will regret in the past, like Erdogan in Turkey. When you look back, you wonder what went on in their minds.

Quotes from the below articles:

Even though the Turkish Health Minister initially denied that there were any coronavirus cases in Turkey, after widespread claims of the spread of the virus, Turkish authorities arrested the whistle blowers. Another 64 Turks were jailed after being accused of disseminating false and provocative information. Furthermore, members of the state-controlled Turkish press panel insisted that “Turkish genes rendered most Turkic people immune,” Rubin reported.

Another reason Rubin gives for Erdogan’s cover-up of the spread of the coronavirus in Turkey is his fear of the collapse of the tourism industry. “In 2018, the Turkish tourism industry accounted for nearly $30 billion dollars. Just a year ago, Erdogan promised that Turkey would host 50 million tourists, raising that figure by at least 20 percent.

Erdogan’s Denial of Coronavirus Crisis Risks the Lives of 80 Million Turks (Armenian Weekly March 24, 2020)

Erdogan says Turkey will overcome coronavirus in two-three weeks; school closures extended (Reuters, March 25, 2020)

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 29, 2020 12:47

Governor Inslee of Washington takes the high road in response to President Trump's war of words with him:

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: March 29, 2020 12:53

Stuck here in Turkey since no flights are going out or in. Had ticket with SAS to Oslo April 7, but it will be no air traffic confused smiley
Not allowed to go out of hotel since we're over 65 .... YCAGWYW......

All the Best!

Date: March 29, 2020 13:16

Heart for Stones
Stuck here in Turkey since no flights are going out or in. Had ticket with SAS to Oslo April 7, but it will be no air traffic confused smiley

All the Best!

Take a look at Qatar Airways they are still operating many flights.This would of course mean transferring through Doha airport so quite a roundabout way of getting back to Scandinavia but at least you could get home.
Soon there may not be any flights at all and you could end up getting stuck for months.

Good luck

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-29 13:16 by Nate.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 29, 2020 14:02

The coronavirus death toll in the U.S. has surpassed 2,000. More than 120,000 confirmed cases.

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline
The table below shows confirmed cases of coronavirus (officially known as SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, or 2019-nCoV) around the world. Each figure is verified by our team through local health departments or local media. You can find a distribution map and a timeline with a list of recent updates below the table.

[bnonews.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 29, 2020 14:33

kovach
daspyknows
Beast

[wgntv.com]

As a religious person myself, I HATED the practice of shaking hands with your neighbors on a weekly basis so much I'd carry Purell with me or get up immediately mid-service and go to the bathroom and wash my hands.

I also subscribe to God gave us brains and scientists for a reason, not to ignore logic and assume we're protected.

I agree with your last paragraph - the Devil tempted Jesus to jump off the roof of the Temple just to prove that God would save him, and Jesus quite rightly told him to - er - get behind him. What he actually told the Devil to do is lost in translation, but was probably much ruder.

I'm glad our church leaders have had the sense to close all UK churches: I am attending prayers and services via YouTube live. Chasing links for the Stones' live performances was good practice!

Date: March 29, 2020 14:35

This report was written by WHO Sept 2019:

A WORLD AT RISK
Annual report on global preparedness for health emergencies
Global Preparedness Monitoring Board
September 2019

H.E. Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland
Co-Chair
Former Prime Minister of Norway and former WHO Director-General

Mr Elhadj As Sy
Co-Chair
Secretary-General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies

The world is not prepared for a fast-moving, virulent respiratory pathogen
pandemic. The 1918 global influenza pandemic sickened one third of the world
population and killed as many as 50 million people - 2.8% of the total population.

If a similar contagion occurred today with a population four times larger and travel times anywhere in the world less than 36 hours, 50 - 80 million people could perish. In addition to tragic levels of mortality, such a pandemic could cause panic, destabilize national security and seriously impact the global economy and trade.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-29 14:36 by bv.

Date: March 29, 2020 15:30

It is a great shame that the people who have the responsibility to act on such reports are no where near as smart as the people who write them.

Nate

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: March 29, 2020 15:37

Nate
Heart for Stones

All the Best!

Take a look at Qatar Airways they are still operating many flights.This would of course mean transferring through Doha airport so quite a roundabout way of getting back to Scandinavia but at least you could get home.
Soon there may not be any flights at all and you could end up getting stuck for months.

Good luck

Nate

Thanks for your tips, but to get to a Qatar Airways flight we must get to Istanbul first and that's not possible, since no flight from south Turkey to Istanbul.

All the Best!

Date: March 29, 2020 15:51

This is my weekly report from my shopping expedition in Norway.

Last Saturday it was a nervous experience, and I hardly slept the night before I went shopping at 7am Saturday morning. Yesterday, I was not that nervous, but sure it was not a fun moment.

I had prepared a detailed list, so that I could follow the list as I passed through the shop. Now I was at the main store in Asker, 3 km i.e. 2 miles away. It is an the large shopping center, which opens at 9am on Saturday. I was there 9:05am. More space, more selections, they even had lots of toilet paper. No panic, but everyone looking nervous, keeping a distance of 2-3 m i.e 10 feet. I use the self service check-out, because then nobody is touching my goods. For some strange reason everyone else want to have service for the check-out, so I am alone at the 6-8 self service machines.

Next is the farmacy. There are 7 or so people queuing outside, limits inside the store, so I just walk on, I don't really need anything special now.

The bakery is empty, and no cakes in sight. Everything is packed in paper. I get my Danish and I am happy, she use gloves and do not touch anything I get.

I wanted to get some wine, so I headed for the Vinmonopolet, the state monopoly liquor store. A massive unorganized queue of people outside the entrance, hardly more than 1-2 feet apart. I return home, don't really need anything, don't want to be in a packed queue.

Outside very few people are out. The shopping center was mostly closed down, just the grocery, liquor store and flower shop was open. May be some others, I did not like it there, so I rushed in and out through the fastest entrances.

I hate shopping normally. Shopping in virus days is even worse, but I have no worries. It is just in your mind, with all the news about dead people and virus, there is an enemy out there, and you don't know where it is.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-29 15:53 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 29, 2020 16:22

One plus here in Washington is the special "senior hours" put in place at most larger stores. Hitting sixty this year has it's advantages cool smiley.

Costco has an hour twice a week for 60+, easy in and out. My local large grocery store has an early hour every weekday.
Went to Trader Joes yesterday and a huge 6 ft apart line was formed, and the manager pointed out to me the senior line as I went to queue up,
(which both bummed and pleased me) which only had two people in it. Aisles were wide open, with them letting only a dozen people in at a time.

Many places offering "no contact" pick ups (curbside) and deliveries.
Have got my weekly shopping down to one fairly easy outing with a couple stops.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 29, 2020 16:31

daspyknows

It seems the majority of churches are closed and have been for several weeks. While holding hands and the like is terribly irresponsible and potentially dangerous; calling people dumbasses and saying let them die is certainly an interesting response. Let's hope John Lennon was wrong about Instant Karma.

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: March 29, 2020 17:28

Thank you so much Bjornulf for adding this thread to an already great site. You report everything in such a clear measured way. I especially value your shopping trip reports which are quite similar to our experience in the UK. We've been in lockdown here in North Wales for nearly 2 weeks with months to go yet and my daily visits to IORR are helping so much. It's been the first site I go to everyday for many years and never dreamt we'd go down a rocky road like this together one day. Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 18:05

daspyknows
Beast

[wgntv.com]

What an asinine comment!! Jerk!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 29, 2020 18:15

Just found this written in the news: Dr. Anthony Fauci (NIAID) told CNN "State of the Union":

Millions of Americans will be infected with the coronavirus and 100,000 to 200,000 will die.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 29, 2020 18:36

What Covid does to your lungs :

[www.youtube.com]

The yellow/green parts are the damaged parts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-29 19:50 by dcba.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182...LastNext
Current Page: 77 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home