Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: March 28, 2020 00:39

umakmehrd
Big Al
Boris is most certainly not stupid or unintelligent. He’s probably one of the most articulate and intellectual Prime Minister’s this nation has seen post-Winston Churchill. Thatcher had the prowess; Johnson is credible, too. There is joviality and silliness, but it’s his charm. I’d certainly rather he than some limp-wristed, woke hypocrite like Justin Trudea.

I'm from Canada and agree with you whole-heartedly...

Are you kidding me? Trudeau...calm, cool,...no self-promoting. Most Canadians are finding him trustworthy. Much better leader than south of the border....Big Al...we don't need your opinion of our Prime Minister. Would you like to know what we think of...BJ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 00:51 by ThePaleRider.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 28, 2020 01:11

gotdablouse
I know why you're looking at percentages but near to 1000 deaths (not sure where you guys are getting 969, they have 919 here [www.worldometers.info] - it could be a typo of course) ....

Not a typo, rather depends on at what time data are fed into which data base and at what time the updates are published.

Local newspapers here also had 919 whereas Italian papers had 969: [www.ilmessaggero.it]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2020 01:17

ThePaleRider

Are you kidding me? Trudeau...calm, cool,...no self-promoting. Most Canadians are finding him trustworthy. Much better leader than south of the border....Big Al...we don't need your opinion of our Prime Minister. Would you like to know what we think of...BJ?

My estranged wife is a Canadian citizen and I’m an ex-resident of Toronto. I love Canada. Let’s not start an argument winking smiley

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 28, 2020 01:46

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 02:51

Sici
bv
The numbers in Italy are terrible, because there is a person behind every single death.

BV,
I don't think all these reported dead are because of the virus.
It is difficult at this moment to understand if you die of viruses or pre-existing complications.
They do not perform autopsies in the hospital, free beds are needed and the dead are immediately taken away and most cremated.
Sici

Well, maybe they die because of stress... Do you think doctors are stupid?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 28, 2020 03:06

UW model suggests mid-April peak for coronavirus in Washington state with scores more deaths
"New models released by the University of Washington”s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation on Friday offer projections through the current coronavirus season, along with estimated peaks and death tolls for each state and the nation as a whole.

Researchers caution this is an ever-changing event, and estimates continue to change as more data are gathered.
[www.bellinghamherald.com]

Hopeful this study is close to accurate.
[covid19.healthdata.org]

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 03:18

Ok, I'm not the best at Math. My wife is from Peru. The population is about 30,000,000. They have about 650 confirmed cases. What % is that & what is the formula? Thanks!

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: March 28, 2020 03:42

Boris has tested positive to coronavirus.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 04:05

Another question: China currently has 81,394 cases with 74,391 recovered. The US has 104,192 cases but only 2,522 recovered. Why the disparity between so few recovered in the US?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 04:16

Sockers56
Another question: China currently has 81,394 cases with 74,391 recovered. The US has 104,192 cases but only 2,522 recovered. Why the disparity between so few recovered in the US?

Give it time, the number of infected in the US will rise but then the number who have recovered will, too. Takes 14 days to recover supposedly.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 28, 2020 04:48

I think if you are 50 or older you should be justifiably concerned and scared about what's happening.

The US just passed 100K cases, so there are no illusions now, we are talking about community spread and social distancing will likely only put a damper on the spread but not really lower the expected penetration level into the population.

I also think that China is lying. The number of infected cased has been static for quite a while now and that doesn't make sense to me. I also don't believe the Iranian numbers. And unfortunately, this is a natural event, something that has been happening for hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 28, 2020 04:53

spain73
Sici
bv
The numbers in Italy are terrible, because there is a person behind every single death.

BV,
I don't think all these reported dead are because of the virus.
It is difficult at this moment to understand if you die of viruses or pre-existing complications.
They do not perform autopsies in the hospital, free beds are needed and the dead are immediately taken away and most cremated.
Sici

Well, maybe they die because of stress... Do you think doctors are stupid?

They do "perform autopsies" (means: test dead bodies for the virus), but only if there are reasons to assume the person was infected. Here's who counts as a Corona death victim in Europe (repeated from above):

Judith Aberle from the Centre for Virology at MedUni Vienna says that who counts as a coronavirus death victim is treated uniformly in Europe. On the one hand, this includes deceased persons who are known to be infected, and in the case of deaths with relevant symptoms such as severe pneumonia or high fever, the virus is tested, Aberle tells the "Wiener Zeitung". … "A deceased person without a corona history will only be tested if there is an indication of a possible infection." [www.wienerzeitung.at]

It is clear that pre-existing complications make things worse for Corona patients. Nowadays I guess chances are pretty slim that a Corona infection is not detected in a hospitalized patient with relevant symptoms. It might remain undetected if you're in hospital because of a broken leg and never show any symptoms - but in that case you don't die. If an undiagnosed, symptom-free yet infected person dies in a car crash, that person will most likely not enter the statistics as a Corona death.

Since there was an influenza epidemic going on (as every winter) when Corona hit Europe (at least in some countries), I could imagine that in the very early days of the outbreak in Europe some patients who had been tested positive for flu were not tested for Corona but I haven't seen/read any official comments in this respect.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 28, 2020 09:13

MileHigh
I think if you are 50 or older you should be justifiably concerned and scared about what's happening.

The US just passed 100K cases, so there are no illusions now, we are talking about community spread and social distancing will likely only put a damper on the spread but not really lower the expected penetration level into the population.

I also think that China is lying. The number of infected cased has been static for quite a while now and that doesn't make sense to me. I also don't believe the Iranian numbers. And unfortunately, this is a natural event, something that has been happening for hundreds of thousands or millions of years.

In my opinion, the data China is reporting should not be taken as accurate until
proven to be accurate by trusted or outside sources.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 28, 2020 11:00

MisterDDDD
UW model suggests mid-April peak for coronavirus in Washington state with scores more deaths
"New models released by the University of Washington”s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation on Friday offer projections through the current coronavirus season, along with estimated peaks and death tolls for each state and the nation as a whole.

Researchers caution this is an ever-changing event, and estimates continue to change as more data are gathered.
[www.bellinghamherald.com]

Hopeful this study is close to accurate.
[covid19.healthdata.org]

Trump has set a date of 12 April when current restrictions begin to ease. The experts predict new cases will be peaking around that date but of course the pressure to deal with those severely affected continues for maybe at least six more weeks.
You can see where he is coming from (and putting economic damage first before health services) but none of the European leaders as far as I am aware are taking this approach.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 28, 2020 11:36

Sockers56
Ok, I'm not the best at Math. My wife is from Peru. The population is about 30,000,000. They have about 650 confirmed cases. What % is that & what is the formula? Thanks!

The worldometer site gives you the answer.

Cases: divide number by total population (note, the number of cases is almost certainly understated, by how much will vary from country to country).
So officially: 19 cases per 1 million. This seems very small. Either Peru is 'behind the curve', or severe under reporting is happening, or the country/ continent is not being affected as much as the rest of the world.

A combination of all of the above is possible. But certainly complacency would not be a good response to take at the moment.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 28, 2020 11:37

The US army is turning the events/convention center attached to the football stadium where the Stones played last summer into a large field hospital in Seattle. It will be use for non COVID-19 patients to take some pressure off the local hospitals.
I've been watching the daily briefing of the US task force with the president. It's quite a spectacle. I watched on CNN & as the president was throwing NY governor Cuomo under the bus there was screen crawl where Cuomo directly called the president a liar about ventilators being stored in a warehouse in NJ. There also seemed to be some discrepancies involving statements being made about General Motors.
The president seems to especially dislike my governor Inslee of Washington & mentioned him in a less than positive light several times. He said he won't call Inslee. Recently Inslee has taken a lot of proactive action to try & slow the spread of the virus. He has also taken the initiative to open negotiations directly with China to get much needed supplies & equipment.
Apparently the vice president is keeping communications open to everyone regardless of politics & rhetoric. I'm not a huge fan of vice president Pence but applaud his efforts to see the bigger picture & take action. The whole situation seems extremely dysfunctional on all sides. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone.
I think there is room for all parties to improve in the interest of actually working to slow the spread of the virus & save some lives. Now is not the time for partisan politics by anyone regardless of affiliation. I hope all aspects of all governments can work together for the common good of the entire world. Hopefully this can lead to a better world for everyone in the aftermath of the virus.
This was basically an editorial by myself based on observations after much reading & viewing of news. I hope I haven't offended anyone as it was not my aim to accuse anyone of anything. Benjamin Franklin, 1 of the founding fathers of the US, had an excellent quote that is as appropriate for these times as it was over 200 years ago: "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."
Again I want to thank everyone who was concerned about my well being while I was trying to get a test & eventually getting the test that showed I don't have the virus. I still have some serious health issues but now am able to work on getting them solved. These days not knowing whilst having some symptoms is almost akin to being a leper & rightly so. I hope everyone is safe & well. Take care, Chuck

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 11:50

bv
MisterDDDD
‘I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson
[twitter.com]

Is Boris just stupid, or is he simply following the path where UK is getting full immunity fast, and 240,000 deaths? Shaking hands is like swimming with 10 feet long sharks. Unless you are suicidal, you don't do that.

Isn’t the first line of your comment a bit political? ;-)

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 11:50 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 28, 2020 12:47

It's getting worse (and yes it's a genuine info) :

"COVID-19 May Attack Testicles, Reduce Testosterone: Study"
[www.zerohedge.com]

"Previous studies have shown that coronavirus binds with the protein receptor cell, ACE2, a large number of which are found in the testicles"

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 28, 2020 13:08

dcba
It's getting worse (and yes it's a genuine info) :

"COVID-19 May Attack Testicles, Reduce Testosterone: Study"
[www.zerohedge.com]

"Previous studies have shown that coronavirus binds with the protein receptor cell, ACE2, a large number of which are found in the testicles"

Google is your friend.

Based on one report from one (self declared) SMALL study.

Exactly the sort of sensationalism that helps no-one. That's why it's in the Daily Mail.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 13:25 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 28, 2020 15:57

ThePaleRider
umakmehrd
Big Al
Boris is most certainly not stupid or unintelligent. He’s probably one of the most articulate and intellectual Prime Minister’s this nation has seen post-Winston Churchill. Thatcher had the prowess; Johnson is credible, too. There is joviality and silliness, but it’s his charm. I’d certainly rather he than some limp-wristed, woke hypocrite like Justin Trudea.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:06

ThePaleRider
umakmehrd
Big Al

All I will say is did you see the bill he tried to pass? among other items I will not go into detail this is not the forum for that. Be safe social distance and use common sense we will get through this....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:20

Sockers56

According to the Johns Hopkins CSSE Live data, Peru is recorded with these numbers:

635 coronavirus positives
11 deaths from the coronavirus

With a population of 32 million, those numbers are low. One third of the population i.e. some 10 million live in the Lima urban areas. The virus is spreading faster in urban areas as compared to more countryside places.

If the authorities of Peru close borders and ask people to stay at home, like other countries do now, then they should be ahead of time, as the number of deaths is really low, and the cases are also very low.

Just to compare, Norway, who have tested 83,000 people out of the 5 million population. Of these are 3845 coronapositive, and 20 dead. The Peru numbers are very very low, and Peru should have every chance of containing the virus, if they do the right things now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:26

MileHigh

I think that for most third world nations, the only accurate number, or at least the closest to accurate, will be the death toll because let's face it testing is just not going to happen.

As far as China is concerned, given history it's entirely possible they are hiding some of their numbers, but I think the question would be how does that serve their interests? I think they do have control over their situation at the moment, given their draconian response that shouldn't be a surprise.

Until their is treatment or a vaccine, I think the biggest question will be how do we control the spread and flatten the curve over the next 12 or so months, without decimating the world economy? If we have to more or less stay at home or close to, it's going to get ugly for the world economy. The most important thing is of course to minimize the death toll, but how to do that and not plunge a great segment of the population into poverty will be a challenge.

Date: March 28, 2020 16:34

bitusa2012
bv
MisterDDDD
‘I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson
[twitter.com]

Is Boris just stupid, or is he simply following the path where UK is getting full immunity fast, and 240,000 deaths? Shaking hands is like swimming with 10 feet long sharks. Unless you are suicidal, you don't do that.

Absolutely not. Shaking hands now is plain simple stupid,. not just stupid, but highly irresponsible. You pass on the virus from one hand to another, this is nothing about politics, it is about leadership.

Leaders are supposed to lead by example. Anyone shaking hands these days is plain stupid and irresponsible. Regardless of who they are, it might be the Pope, Mick Jagger, The Queen, anyone, if they kiss or shake hands then they are breaking all the laws of basic hygiene.
'
Just to repeat, these are the three basic rules of killing the virus spread:

1. Keep a distance of at least 2-3 meter (6-10 feet)
2. Wash your hands properly as often as needed
3. Limit the number of people you have close contact with

Boris was shaking hands with a lot of people at a coronavirus hospital. This is what he wrote on twitter:

"I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson"

May be you love Boris, but for sure it is impossible to love the above actions. Leading by example? I don't think so.

The virus has been around in Europe since early January, i.e. for three months. This thread was started by me one - 1 - month ago today. Now I am fed up of protecting stupid politicians. I can forgive any stupid actions in the past, but from this very day, any stupid action will be reported as such, and the higher up you are, the more seriously stupid is the action, because you lead by example.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 16:36 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 28, 2020 16:46

Near the beginning of this thread (and when the virus was becoming more wide spread) I brought up the topic of masks when contemplating getting some.
The collective wisdom then was that they could do more harm than good, touching your face more, won't protect from getting virus but from transmitting, droplets getting on them, leave them for the professionals who need them etc.

Still believe that, but am starting to re-think wearing one when necessary to be in public, grocery shopping etc. I still wouldn't want to buy some if it contributed to the shortage for medical professionals. Someone gave me a few N-95 masks and a homemade cotton mask that I am considering wearing for necessary outings. Realize it may not be very affective, but it also may be better than nothing.

This is an opinion piece in The NY Times, but good points are made in it.

Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired
To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy.

"It is of course true that masks don’t work perfectly, that they don’t replace hand-washing and social distancing, and that they work better if they fit properly. And of course, surgical masks (the disposable type that surgeons wear) don’t filter out small viral particles the way medical-grade respirator masks rated N95 and above do. However, even surgical masks protect a bit more than not wearing masks at all. We know from flu research that mask-wearing can help decrease transmission rates along with frequent hand-washing and social-distancing. Now that we are facing a respirator mask shortage, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending that surgical masks are “an acceptable alternative” for health care workers — again, obviously because some protection, even if imperfect, is better than none. In the face of this, publicly presenting an absolute answer — “You don’t need them” — for something that requires a qualified response just makes people trust authorities even less."
[www.nytimes.com]

This graph also got my attention, as did the Trevor Noah interview with Dr. Fauci where he talked about the airborne aspects of the virus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 17:03 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 28, 2020 17:14

bv
bitusa2012
bv
MisterDDDD
[twitter.com]

Absolutely not. Shaking hands now is plain simple stupid,. not just stupid, but highly irresponsible. You pass on the virus from one hand to another, this is nothing about politics, it is about leadership.

Leaders are supposed to lead by example. Anyone shaking hands these days is plain stupid and irresponsible. Regardless of who they are, it might be the Pope, Mick Jagger, The Queen, anyone, if they kiss or shake hands then they are breaking all the laws of basic hygiene.
'
Just to repeat, these are the three basic rules of killing the virus spread:

1. Keep a distance of at least 2-3 meter (6-10 feet)
2. Wash your hands properly as often as needed
3. Limit the number of people you have close contact with

Boris was shaking hands with a lot of people at a coronavirus hospital. This is what he wrote on twitter:

"I was at a hospital the other night where there were actually some covid patients and I shook hands with everybody. People can make up their own mind but I think it’s very important to keep shaking hands." – Boris Johnson"

May be you love Boris, but for sure it is impossible to love the above actions. Leading by example? I don't think so.

The virus has been around in Europe since early January, i.e. for three months. This thread was started by me one - 1 - month ago today. Now I am fed up of protecting stupid politicians. I can forgive any stupid actions in the past, but from this very day, any stupid action will be reported as such, and the higher up you are, the more seriously stupid is the action, because you lead by example.

Boris comes from a family/school/environment that 100 years ago would have regarded wartime PTSD/battlefield fatigue/shell shock as cowardice ....It takes a long time it seems to dislodge that type of mentality completely, even if it is currently diluted a bit.

I'm only surprised he didn't go in those hospitals and say "Come on old man, we'll have none of this, on your feet" ...............confused smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-28 18:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 28, 2020 17:43

Looks like Trump is now invoking the Defense Protection Act for the production of Ventilators.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2020 17:44

Aquamarine
MisterDDDD
GasLightStreet
Does anyone else find it odd that it's commonly referred to as Washington state and not just... Washington?

There's another one that's funny - upstate New York. I know Manhattan is awesome but it's at the bottom of the state and not everyone lives there so... no one says 'I'm going downstate' in Illinois because of Chicago.

New Orleans is about to melt. Still has 2 dead bodies hanging over Canal street.

Depends on context of course, but the majority of people think you're referring to Washington DC, if you don't specify state.

And if you just say New York, people think you're referring to New York City, not the state as a whole.

I guess I'm odd then. I say Manhattan, since New York City encompasses 2 islands and part of the mainland, and if I'm talking about the city I always say DC after Washington.

I still don't know anyone personally that has SARS-COV-2.

Date: March 28, 2020 18:09

The total of coronavirus sick in hospital in Norway is today down to 291, from the yesterday's high of 303.

Oversikt over innlagte pasienter med covid-19 per 28. mars (NHI = Norwegian Directorate of Health)

(English: Overview of hospitalized patients with covid-19 as of March 28)

Comment:
Lockdown have been in place since March 12, and it seems to work so far, as per the numbers above, among others.

Bjornulf

Date: March 28, 2020 18:21

About wearing masks, to protect yourself from getting the virus:

Virologists say people touch their face with their own hands more than 100-200 times every day. It's just a habit. Sure a mask will prevent direct drops from landing on your face, but your main enemy is not the drops, but your own hands. The mask will be a false security.

If you are able to brainwash yourself into never touching your face or mask, sure you may wear a mask. It is the same as for wearing gloves. Sooner or later, those gloves will end up in your face, in your mouth, nose, or eyes, then there is no difference with or without gloves. False security.

Having said that, if I was forced into a packed tube or train, for say half an hour or so, sure I would love to have a mask, then I would take it off as soon as I left the crowd.

About listening to the experts in general:

I did just listen to half an hour of Q&A on BBC World News, where they had Professor of Virology Mark Harris of Leeds University, and also a doctor working with the virus, it was one of the best Q&A's i have seen on the coronavirus subject. Well done BBC!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home