Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 26, 2020 18:44

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

I read the article YOU (originally) posted, bud.

[www.cnbc.com]

it said nothing about this donation...

in the time it took you to insult me by implicitly calling me "uneducated" you could've just posted the follow-up article and said "he gave $100m according to this article" and skipped the insult...

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

With all Sincerity: $100m is a very nice donation. Thank you, Bill. Good start. Keep it up....exponentially, please.

However, just to put it in perspective:

a) this donation is from his Foundation...not his pocket...there's a difference (though he does fund about 1/2 to 2/3 of the Foundation)

b) Bill Gates is worth around $100 BILLION...which is more than 122 COUNTRIES are worth....it's the GDP of Slovakia

in other words, money is essentially NO object to him...

Perspective: if you spent $1 PER SECOND....it would take you 32 YEARS to spend ONE Billion.

As stated: It's a nice donation...thank you for educating me w/ the follow-up article.

I'm glad he gives...something is always better than nothing....but, it should be taken in perspective.

Simply put, Bill can (and should) do more. Full stop.

good luck to you. I hope you are healthy and safe.

Posted both prior. His foundations work, his philanthropy, and his commitment to giving away the bulk of his wealth before he dies are well known. By most.
Glad you got caught up.. he's been actively funding and working on health issues for twenty years.

More here, in which he essentially predicted this.
[www.mercurynews.com]

"Although he began his career as a computer programmer, Gates, 64, has devoted much of the last 20 years to public health and medicine.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, based in Seattle, is run by three trustees: Bill and his wife Melinda Gates, and financier Warren Buffett. Since it was established 20 years ago, the foundation has contributed more than $6 billion to medical research and health care, focusing on treatment and prevention of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, measles and other diseases, particularly in Africa and some of the poorest parts of the world.

On Feb. 5, the foundation announced a $100 million donation to fund research and development of drugs and other treatments for COVID-19.

There are people in the world that are never happy. Bill Gates isn't doing enough.

What a load of bullshit that is. And YOU are doing what, exactly? Staying inside?

Athletes, musicians and actors should keep their mouths shut? Perhaps just regular ol' people should, too. Seeing that athletes, musician and actors are people...

I know someone that's denying things about it, and supports an orange mop's denial and lies about it, that is 72 years old and considers it nothing worse than the flu and, really, nothing like the flu at all.

The willful ignorance and arrogance, typical American, of course, blows my mind.

ahh..the old "what are you doing?" message.

Thank you for asking....here's a list:

1) staying inside...yep....which is, of course, one of the most important things one can do....though, I do go to the grocery store for myself and my 90-year-old neighbor who lives alone

2) I gave blood last week....granted that was scheduled months ago.

3) I cashed out a CD about 10 days ago...it was worth 1% of my total net worth and I donated it to Doctors without Borders (Gates' donation is worth 0.01% of his net worth, by comparison...and money means nothing to him...I'm a school teacher...proportionality)

4) I give 5% of my pre-tax salary to charity every year

5) We're adopting a cat...shelters are inundated...so, the local shelter is dropping it off tomorrow (at the end of my driveway, per social-distancing)....to add to our 3 other shelter cats and 3 shelter dogs.

Bill Gates does a lot. Good for him. He can do more. Are you claiming that as false??

Are you fully content w/ what he is doing? If so, that's fine...but, then you must be content w/ the inequities of the world and the fact that one person is worth more than Slovakia...while billions go without.

As stated, he does a lot of good....but he also chooses to keep $100 billion for himself.

If you're cool w/ that, so be it. It's a semi-free country and you're entitled to your position...just as I am.

"Athletes et. al should keep their mouths shut....if they are not giving money"...you forgot the 2nd half of that....try not to intentionally misquote to prove a point.

and...yep, feel free to add "regular people" to that, if you wish...if you aren't doing anything to help, you should shut up...same w/ people that don't vote.

....that goes for grumping about Trump as well, FYI.

Bill Gates can/should do more. Everyone who is capable can/should do more...I'm fully aware that includes me. So, I'll think of something. I'm very, very, very lucky.

I'll keep you posted.

I have no idea if the "ignorant and arrogant" is aimed at me or Trump or some random 72-year-old...or all three, so I'll just let that part lay.

feel free to share your list of things you are doing.

In fact, everybody should....it would give us a sense of hope and great ideas moving forward....things we can all do.

I hope you and yours are healthy and safe.

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

For one thing, I vote and I know voting for POTUS is the only vote that does not count. So that whole 'if you don't vote shut your mouth' thing is bunk, an antiquated, archaic mentality based in belief, or fiction, or perhaps a bit more pointed, flag waving.

It wasn't a point at you but it was a reminder, a good example of society, in how people go on about, in this case, Bill Gates, and that what they do is a lot but, forget all that, he'll never do enough anyway.

Here's one thing: you don't know what he's doing except for what is mentioned in whatever media and seem to think that his total value would make a difference. Have you ever seen something go away because of an amount of money that was involved? You think if Gates just wishes his total value to help the issues will go away? Here's an example:

Jimmy Buffett has done a lot of fundraiser shows for various things over the decades. He does shows for food banks. That's public.

What isn't public is his continuing funding of a feed the homeless program in New Orleans. There's certainly more that he does without anyone publicly knowing about it. He started Last Mango Boatworks and is involved with the Freedom Fighters Outdoors for veterans (Wounded Warriors, etc) to go fishing.

The bit about athletes etc was not an intentional misquote - that's something that is thrown around with entitled abandon by a lot of people that don't know what they (athletes etc) are doing - it's assumptive.

The ignorant and arrogant quip is about Americans. True enough, that does sound like all of them. It's not. I know plenty of Americans (an arrogant term, actually, Amercians - which America? It's casually meant for US citizens but there are 3 Americas so...) that are not entitled or arrogant. What's funny, at least in the last few years, is how social media has become the center of rant and rage... for a lot of people that apparently don't have jobs and rage on about inequality, "standing in solidarity" with people they have zero in common with or are actually with... etc.

So, point is, it was indirectly at you - you were the source for what I hear a lot, you just happened to be a bit more detailed about it. Yeah yeah, everyone has their own opinion... but opinions can be wrong.

COVID-19 has a lot of opinion going on... and a lot of it isn't based in facts but what's, ha ha, spread around on social media and people believing things without, imagine this - READING beyond the headline.

We may not be on the same page but I think we're in the same book. It was more of a 'Oh really?' as opposed to 'YOU'RE WRONG'.

It's very simple. No matter how much you or anyone does, it's never enough and you could always do more. I'm just pleased that so many people do something rather than nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-26 18:48 by Green Lady.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 18:54

GasLight -

Post read and appreciated.

I didn't understand all of it, but no worries.

Jimmy Buffett is a tool....hahaha!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 26, 2020 19:13

stickyfingers101
GasLight -

Why do you say that? He helps people all the time

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 26, 2020 19:29

New numbers are in for Italy and unfortunately they're on the rise again, it does not appear that a peak has been hit as could be thought a few days ago. They've been in lockdown since March 10th (March 8th for the North)

Last 7 days :
New Cases 5322 5986 6557 5560 4789 5249 5210 6153
New Deaths 427 627 793 651 601 743 683 662

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: March 26, 2020 19:46

With regard to scheduling events in the next few months the Indianapolis has been postponed until August. The race is usually the last weekend of May.

It will now be on August 23. The Indy Car Grand Prix will now be on July 4th.

[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:00

From and on behalf of George Harrison's Estate

The Material World Foundation, created by George Harrison in 1973, is today donating $500,000 to the MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund, Save the Children, and Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) charities, which are providing much needed aid and care during this COVID-19 pandemic.

For every person that shares their own"Inner Light"moment on social media using the #innerlight2020 hashtag, the Material World Foundation will give another $1 (up to $100,000) to help those affected by the virus

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:05

FlyoverStones
With regard to scheduling events in the next few months the Indianapolis has been postponed until August. The race is usually the last weekend of May.

It will now be on August 23. The Indy Car Grand Prix will now be on July 4th.

[www.usatoday.com]

These dates seem exceedingly optimistic, especially the Grand Prix, but time will tell...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:20

ukcal
From and on behalf of George Harrison's Estate

The Material World Foundation, created by George Harrison in 1973, is today donating $500,000 to the MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund, Save the Children, and Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) charities, which are providing much needed aid and care during this COVID-19 pandemic.

For every person that shares their own"Inner Light"moment on social media using the #innerlight2020 hashtag, the Material World Foundation will give another $1 (up to $100,000) to help those affected by the virus

Hats off to Olivia Harrison and the other Trustees for making such a generous donation.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:21

Trying to do my part from the safety of my couch, I tried to make an appointment to donate blood but sadly am excluded as I have been outside Canada / US in the past 12 months (it’s been a while since I donated, that standard is one I have never seen before). Made a donation to Doctors Without Borders and am trying to come up with other ideas. I volunteer at a hospital but all volunteer services were cancelled over a week ago. Does anyone have any ideas about other useful things one can safely do to contribute?

In the meantime, there’s this:

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:31

Green Lady
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

I read the article YOU (originally) posted, bud.

[www.cnbc.com]

it said nothing about this donation...

in the time it took you to insult me by implicitly calling me "uneducated" you could've just posted the follow-up article and said "he gave $100m according to this article" and skipped the insult...

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

With all Sincerity: $100m is a very nice donation. Thank you, Bill. Good start. Keep it up....exponentially, please.

However, just to put it in perspective:

a) this donation is from his Foundation...not his pocket...there's a difference (though he does fund about 1/2 to 2/3 of the Foundation)

b) Bill Gates is worth around $100 BILLION...which is more than 122 COUNTRIES are worth....it's the GDP of Slovakia

in other words, money is essentially NO object to him...

Perspective: if you spent $1 PER SECOND....it would take you 32 YEARS to spend ONE Billion.

As stated: It's a nice donation...thank you for educating me w/ the follow-up article.

I'm glad he gives...something is always better than nothing....but, it should be taken in perspective.

Simply put, Bill can (and should) do more. Full stop.

good luck to you. I hope you are healthy and safe.

Posted both prior. His foundations work, his philanthropy, and his commitment to giving away the bulk of his wealth before he dies are well known. By most.
Glad you got caught up.. he's been actively funding and working on health issues for twenty years.

More here, in which he essentially predicted this.
[www.mercurynews.com]

"Although he began his career as a computer programmer, Gates, 64, has devoted much of the last 20 years to public health and medicine.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, based in Seattle, is run by three trustees: Bill and his wife Melinda Gates, and financier Warren Buffett. Since it was established 20 years ago, the foundation has contributed more than $6 billion to medical research and health care, focusing on treatment and prevention of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, measles and other diseases, particularly in Africa and some of the poorest parts of the world.

On Feb. 5, the foundation announced a $100 million donation to fund research and development of drugs and other treatments for COVID-19.

There are people in the world that are never happy. Bill Gates isn't doing enough.

What a load of bullshit that is. And YOU are doing what, exactly? Staying inside?

Athletes, musicians and actors should keep their mouths shut? Perhaps just regular ol' people should, too. Seeing that athletes, musician and actors are people...

I know someone that's denying things about it, and supports an orange mop's denial and lies about it, that is 72 years old and considers it nothing worse than the flu and, really, nothing like the flu at all.

The willful ignorance and arrogance, typical American, of course, blows my mind.

ahh..the old "what are you doing?" message.

Thank you for asking....here's a list:

1) staying inside...yep....which is, of course, one of the most important things one can do....though, I do go to the grocery store for myself and my 90-year-old neighbor who lives alone

2) I gave blood last week....granted that was scheduled months ago.

3) I cashed out a CD about 10 days ago...it was worth 1% of my total net worth and I donated it to Doctors without Borders (Gates' donation is worth 0.01% of his net worth, by comparison...and money means nothing to him...I'm a school teacher...proportionality)

4) I give 5% of my pre-tax salary to charity every year

5) We're adopting a cat...shelters are inundated...so, the local shelter is dropping it off tomorrow (at the end of my driveway, per social-distancing)....to add to our 3 other shelter cats and 3 shelter dogs.

Bill Gates does a lot. Good for him. He can do more. Are you claiming that as false??

Are you fully content w/ what he is doing? If so, that's fine...but, then you must be content w/ the inequities of the world and the fact that one person is worth more than Slovakia...while billions go without.

As stated, he does a lot of good....but he also chooses to keep $100 billion for himself.

If you're cool w/ that, so be it. It's a semi-free country and you're entitled to your position...just as I am.

"Athletes et. al should keep their mouths shut....if they are not giving money"...you forgot the 2nd half of that....try not to intentionally misquote to prove a point.

and...yep, feel free to add "regular people" to that, if you wish...if you aren't doing anything to help, you should shut up...same w/ people that don't vote.

....that goes for grumping about Trump as well, FYI.

Bill Gates can/should do more. Everyone who is capable can/should do more...I'm fully aware that includes me. So, I'll think of something. I'm very, very, very lucky.

I'll keep you posted.

I have no idea if the "ignorant and arrogant" is aimed at me or Trump or some random 72-year-old...or all three, so I'll just let that part lay.

feel free to share your list of things you are doing.

In fact, everybody should....it would give us a sense of hope and great ideas moving forward....things we can all do.

I hope you and yours are healthy and safe.

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

For one thing, I vote and I know voting for POTUS is the only vote that does not count. So that whole 'if you don't vote shut your mouth' thing is bunk, an antiquated, archaic mentality based in belief, or fiction, or perhaps a bit more pointed, flag waving.

It wasn't a point at you but it was a reminder, a good example of society, in how people go on about, in this case, Bill Gates, and that what they do is a lot but, forget all that, he'll never do enough anyway.

Here's one thing: you don't know what he's doing except for what is mentioned in whatever media and seem to think that his total value would make a difference. Have you ever seen something go away because of an amount of money that was involved? You think if Gates just wishes his total value to help the issues will go away? Here's an example:

Jimmy Buffett has done a lot of fundraiser shows for various things over the decades. He does shows for food banks. That's public.

What isn't public is his continuing funding of a feed the homeless program in New Orleans. There's certainly more that he does without anyone publicly knowing about it. He started Last Mango Boatworks and is involved with the Freedom Fighters Outdoors for veterans (Wounded Warriors, etc) to go fishing.

The bit about athletes etc was not an intentional misquote - that's something that is thrown around with entitled abandon by a lot of people that don't know what they (athletes etc) are doing - it's assumptive.

The ignorant and arrogant quip is about Americans. True enough, that does sound like all of them. It's not. I know plenty of Americans (an arrogant term, actually, Amercians - which America? It's casually meant for US citizens but there are 3 Americas so...) that are not entitled or arrogant. What's funny, at least in the last few years, is how social media has become the center of rant and rage... for a lot of people that apparently don't have jobs and rage on about inequality, "standing in solidarity" with people they have zero in common with or are actually with... etc.

So, point is, it was indirectly at you - you were the source for what I hear a lot, you just happened to be a bit more detailed about it. Yeah yeah, everyone has their own opinion... but opinions can be wrong.

COVID-19 has a lot of opinion going on... and a lot of it isn't based in facts but what's, ha ha, spread around on social media and people believing things without, imagine this - READING beyond the headline.

We may not be on the same page but I think we're in the same book. It was more of a 'Oh really?' as opposed to 'YOU'RE WRONG'.

It's very simple. No matter how much you or anyone does, it's never enough and you could always do more. I'm just pleased that so many people do something rather than nothing.

I've been avoiding a lot of places but have seen some large gatherings here and there, as well as friends on FB sharing things of people in Chicago ignoring things. Not sure why it's so difficult to stay away...

Date: March 26, 2020 20:32

stickyfingers101
GasLight -

Cool. Sorry it felt like an attack... it wasn't.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 20:35

SomeTorontoGirl
Trying to do my part from the safety of my couch, I tried to make an appointment to donate blood but sadly am excluded as I have been outside Canada / US in the past 12 months (it’s been a while since I donated, that standard is one I have never seen before). Made a donation to Doctors Without Borders and am trying to come up with other ideas. I volunteer at a hospital but all volunteer services were cancelled over a week ago. Does anyone have any ideas about other useful things one can safely do to contribute?

In the meantime, there’s this:

It was never one of my favorite Queen songs, but STG, this is ....
M A G N I F I C E N T !!!!!!

Date: March 26, 2020 20:42

Cooltoplady
stickyfingers101
GasLight -

LOL! I do? That's quite kind, thanks.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 26, 2020 21:46

Day 1 of Seattle shut down. I had to go out to a lab to get some blood drawn & it was spooky. Very few cars or people out. Kind of like a 50s sci fi movie like Day the Earth Stood Still. The footage from NYC looks like something from a zombie movie. & its still early days. Gov Inslee of Washington said the state is talking directly to China to try & get medical supplies & equipment. Taking the federal government out of the loop. Probably a smart move given how this has gone to date.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:16

Thanks, SomeTorontoGirl, that was brilliant!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 22:32

This has been doing the rounds too:

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:16

crholmstrom
Finally got my test result after a week. Came back negative. I still need to be careful because of immune system issues but at least don't have to do full quarantine.

Great news! Stay safe. Best wishes.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:35

Don't know if posted before:
Coronavirus symptoms: What are they and how do I protect myself? (BBC) including "How confirmed cases have spread outside of China" (scroll down)

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: March 26, 2020 23:42

Thanks for that, STG!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 27, 2020 00:00

Marmalade
Thanks for that, STG!

You’re welcome Lady Marmalade! Where in the world are you these days? Hope you’re safe and healthy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 27, 2020 00:16

ABC Morning News ------- 27 March 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 27, 2020 00:19

GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
stickyfingers101
GasLight -

LOL! I do? That's quite kind, thanks.

Um what?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 27, 2020 00:40

Topi
Jo Wood's brother Paul Karslake apparently died just a day after having been admitted to the hospital. The source is The Sun so take that with a grain of salt.

Jo tweeted two days ago about his death. He had pneumonia and shortness of breath.

She has now confirmed that it was Covid-19 that took him. Sad news indeed.

Date: March 27, 2020 00:56

THE AGE -- 27 March 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 27, 2020 01:00

Total cases in the US now 83144, so overtaking China.

Presumably this figure, as in most countries significantly understates the true situation.

Date: March 27, 2020 01:26

Rockman

THE AGE -- 27 March 2020

Yep. I realized when travelling a few weeks ago that it is just impossible to keep your hands completely germ-free for any length of time, whatever you do, unless you touch nothing zilch nada. You are out, you use hand sanitizer and then you have to close the bottle lid you infected when opening it and after that you put the bottle back in the bag or pocket you touched with your germ-ridden hands to take the bottle out in the first place. So no sooner have you sanitized your hands than they are full of germs again! Still, better than nothing...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 27, 2020 01:27

Up to 83,671 now...clearly skyrocketing, probably above 100k in a few hours.

[www.worldometers.info]

Experts seem to be saying that the "real" number to look at is the number of people in ICU as that's a "hard" number, as opposed to "new cases" or "new deaths" that vary greatly from one country to another.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 27, 2020 01:31

Yes Sara …
we should all share a thought for those trying so hard to save others …

ROCKMAN

Date: March 27, 2020 01:42

Rockman
Yes Sara …
we should all share a thought for those trying so hard to save others …

Absolutely - the stories here about the lack of personal protection equipment supplied to our health workers are appalling and, if true, a total shame on our country. At 8 pm this evening, the nation clapped and banged pots and pans in a gesture of thanks to those brave workers, who are thought to have a bigger viral load through repeated exposure to the virus. Sickening stories too about nurses being thrown out of their rented and/or shared accommodation because they are seen as posing a health risk to others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-27 01:58 by Beast.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 27, 2020 03:10

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
MisterDDDD
An actual billionaire that understands science and facts.
He's estimating the length of shutdown needed at six to ten weeks, provided there's an increase of testing etc.

Bill Gates says the US missed its chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown and businesses should stay closed

“The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown,” Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online.
“We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown.”

“It’s January when everybody should’ve been on notice,” Gates added. The virus was first discovered in December in China."
[www.cnbc.com]

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....Talk is Cheap.

All I want to hear from the mega-rich is how much money they are giving to research, how many people they are financially supporting during the shut-down and/or how they are financing the production of more respirators, masks and other critical supplies.

Sean Penn was on the news saying how the military needs to intervene.

blah, blah, blah...What I need is do-nothing Hollywood ToolBags telling us what to do....give me a break.

Take a look at Haiti if you want to see a place that Sean Penn "helped"...

Dear Hollywood, Pro Sports, Rock Stars and MegaRich Corporate Hacks - Close your mouths until you open your wallets.

....if you can't handle the latter, then just do the former.

That being said....Doctors without Borders is an outstanding charity, if anyone is interested.

Read the articles.. [thehill.com]
He's donated $100 million already, Has a foundation that is acquiring testing.

On top of all his other philanthropic endeavors.. Educate yourself, in the time it took to type.. "blah blah blah etc" you could have had the facts.

There is too much stupidity and lack of real information. Bill Gates has used more of his riches on world health than most. Asking some people on here to educate themselves is like asking POTUS to believe in basic science. This is getting worse because of incompetance and people are dying.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home