Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2020 16:34

DandelionPowderman
Three people at the office infected now.

One day left of the max incubation period. Fingers crossed smiling smiley

Hang on amigo! thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 25, 2020 16:37

stickyfingers101
MisterDDDD
An actual billionaire that understands science and facts.
He's estimating the length of shutdown needed at six to ten weeks, provided there's an increase of testing etc.

Bill Gates says the US missed its chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown and businesses should stay closed

“The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown,” Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online.
“We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown.”

“It’s January when everybody should’ve been on notice,” Gates added. The virus was first discovered in December in China."
[www.cnbc.com]

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....Talk is Cheap.

All I want to hear from the mega-rich is how much money they are giving to research, how many people they are financially supporting during the shut-down and/or how they are financing the production of more respirators, masks and other critical supplies.

Sean Penn was on the news saying how the military needs to intervene.

blah, blah, blah...What I need is do-nothing Hollywood ToolBags telling us what to do....give me a break.

Take a look at Haiti if you want to see a place that Sean Penn "helped"...

Dear Hollywood, Pro Sports, Rock Stars and MegaRich Corporate Hacks - Close your mouths until you open your wallets.

....if you can't handle the latter, then just do the former.

That being said....Doctors without Borders is an outstanding charity, if anyone is interested.

Read the articles.. [thehill.com]
He's donated $100 million already, Has a foundation that is acquiring testing.

On top of all his other philanthropic endeavors.. Educate yourself, in the time it took to type.. "blah blah blah etc" you could have had the facts.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 25, 2020 17:44

There seems to be some confusion over the Statistics, especially re the situation in Italy.
At today's date:
-Total cases = 69176
-Total deaths = 6820....so roughly 10% mortality rate.

Clearly not all Cases have been recorded. In addition there is obviously a lag between new cases recorded and deaths.
As horrendous as these figures are, if Italy has 'passed the peak'( which I personally am less confident about than some people), the final death toll may not be on the scale that was predicted a few weeks ago.
Down to the measures taken? Too pessimistic?
Who really knows.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 25, 2020 17:56

Nate
Probably some of these mega rich people have made financial donations but they don’t advertise it.

Nate

I think there's probably more than we realize doing so privately. Though the publicity hounds all over social media maybe not so much.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 25, 2020 18:02

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
MisterDDDD
An actual billionaire that understands science and facts.
He's estimating the length of shutdown needed at six to ten weeks, provided there's an increase of testing etc.

Bill Gates says the US missed its chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown and businesses should stay closed

“The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown,” Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online.
“We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown.”

“It’s January when everybody should’ve been on notice,” Gates added. The virus was first discovered in December in China."
[www.cnbc.com]

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.....Talk is Cheap.

All I want to hear from the mega-rich is how much money they are giving to research, how many people they are financially supporting during the shut-down and/or how they are financing the production of more respirators, masks and other critical supplies.

Sean Penn was on the news saying how the military needs to intervene.

blah, blah, blah...What I need is do-nothing Hollywood ToolBags telling us what to do....give me a break.

Take a look at Haiti if you want to see a place that Sean Penn "helped"...

Dear Hollywood, Pro Sports, Rock Stars and MegaRich Corporate Hacks - Close your mouths until you open your wallets.

....if you can't handle the latter, then just do the former.

That being said....Doctors without Borders is an outstanding charity, if anyone is interested.

Read the articles.. [thehill.com]
He's donated $100 million already, Has a foundation that is acquiring testing.

On top of all his other philanthropic endeavors.. Educate yourself, in the time it took to type.. "blah blah blah etc" you could have had the facts.

I read the article YOU (originally) posted, bud.

[www.cnbc.com]

it said nothing about this donation...

in the time it took you to insult me by implicitly calling me "uneducated" you could've just posted the follow-up article and said "he gave $100m according to this article" and skipped the insult...

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

With all Sincerity: $100m is a very nice donation. Thank you, Bill. Good start. Keep it up....exponentially, please.

However, just to put it in perspective:

a) this donation is from his Foundation...not his pocket...there's a difference (though he does fund about 1/2 to 2/3 of the Foundation)

b) Bill Gates is worth around $100 BILLION...which is more than 122 COUNTRIES are worth....it's the GDP of Slovakia

in other words, money is essentially NO object to him...

Perspective: if you spent $1 PER SECOND....it would take you 32 YEARS to spend ONE Billion.

As stated: It's a nice donation...thank you for educating me w/ the follow-up article.

I'm glad he gives...something is always better than nothing....but, it should be taken in perspective.

Simply put, Bill can (and should) do more. Full stop.

good luck to you. I hope you are healthy and safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-25 18:05 by stickyfingers101.

Date: March 25, 2020 18:03

Nate
Probably some of these mega rich people have made financial donations but they don’t advertise it.

Nate

maybe.

maybe not.

now is not the time for them to be quiet about their philanthropy...they should be screaming it far-and-wide and calling out their fellow mega-rich.

[knoema.com]

Date: March 25, 2020 18:21

Since I've been grumping about the mega-rich, I thought I would post this article about what they are doing:

[www.forbes.com]

all very nice...all very important...none of it very impressive, when taken in perspective though.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 25, 2020 18:49

jlowe
There seems to be some confusion over the Statistics, especially re the situation in Italy.
At today's date:
-Total cases = 69176

Clearly not all Cases have been recorded. In addition there is obviously a lag between new cases recorded and deaths.
As horrendous as these figures are, if Italy has 'passed the peak'( which I personally am less confident about than some people), the final death toll may not be on the scale that was predicted a few weeks ago.
Who really knows.

Italy do not have time to test, just those who arrive to hospitals, so making a calculation like this is totally wrong. They have no idea how many people do actually have the virus now. This goes for most countries, very few are able to test every person in their population, and may be 50% don't even show any symptoms, like seen where they test everyone.

Bjornulf

Date: March 25, 2020 18:53

bv
jlowe
At today's date:
-Total cases = 69176

Who really knows.

Italy do not have time to test, just those who arrive to hospitals, so making a calculation like this is totally wrong. They have no idea how many people do actually have the virus now. This goes for most countries, very few are able to test every person in their population, and may be 50% don't even show any symptoms, like seen where they test everyone.

And that is exactly why there is no way to accurately calculate the death rate.

And the percentage will eventually be less and less as more people get tested etc.

Not to mention all the people that have it and don't even know it. And will never get tested.

Date: March 25, 2020 18:59

stickyfingers101

[www.cnbc.com]

in the time it took you to insult me by implicitly calling me "uneducated" you could've just posted the follow-up article and said "he gave $100m according to this article" and skipped the insult...

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

With all Sincerity: $100m is a very nice donation. Thank you, Bill. Good start. Keep it up....exponentially, please.

a) this donation is from his Foundation...not his pocket...there's a difference (though he does fund about 1/2 to 2/3 of the Foundation)

b) Bill Gates is worth around $100 BILLION...which is more than 122 COUNTRIES are worth....it's the GDP of Slovakia

Perspective: if you spent $1 PER SECOND....it would take you 32 YEARS to spend ONE Billion.

As stated: It's a nice donation...thank you for educating me w/ the follow-up article.

I'm glad he gives...something is always better than nothing....but, it should be taken in perspective.

Posted both prior. His foundations work, his philanthropy, and his commitment to giving away the bulk of his wealth before he dies are well known. By most.
Glad you got caught up.. he's been actively funding and working on health issues for twenty years.

More here, in which he essentially predicted this.
[www.mercurynews.com]

"Although he began his career as a computer programmer, Gates, 64, has devoted much of the last 20 years to public health and medicine.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, based in Seattle, is run by three trustees: Bill and his wife Melinda Gates, and financier Warren Buffett. Since it was established 20 years ago, the foundation has contributed more than $6 billion to medical research and health care, focusing on treatment and prevention of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, measles and other diseases, particularly in Africa and some of the poorest parts of the world.

On Feb. 5, the foundation announced a $100 million donation to fund research and development of drugs and other treatments for COVID-19.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 25, 2020 19:18

The Bill Gates Foundation is also spending much money on research into immune system maladies such as RA, lupus & others. The goal is to eradicate them. Right now there is no cure for RA. It's like cancer in a lot of ways. Some lucky people go into remission but it doesn't go away. There are a lot of variations of RA. For some of us, its like the sword of Damocles dangling over our head. He & his wife Melinda do much good work with their fortune. I wish more of the mega rich had their attitude. The world would be a much better place.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 25, 2020 19:31

crholmstrom
The Bill Gates Foundation is also spending much money on research into immune system maladies such as RA, lupus & others. The goal is to eradicate them. Right now there is no cure for RA. It's like cancer in a lot of ways. Some lucky people go into remission but it doesn't go away. There are a lot of variations of RA. For some of us, its like the sword of Damocles dangling over our head. He & his wife Melinda do much good work with their fortune. I wish more of the mega rich had their attitude. The world would be a much better place.

Hey Mr. CR all is well?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2020 19:50

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.cnbc.com]

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

Posted both prior. His foundations work, his philanthropy, and his commitment to giving away the bulk of his wealth before he dies are well known. By most.
Glad you got caught up.. he's been actively funding and working on health issues for twenty years.

[www.mercurynews.com]

"Although he began his career as a computer programmer, Gates, 64, has devoted much of the last 20 years to public health and medicine.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, based in Seattle, is run by three trustees: Bill and his wife Melinda Gates, and financier Warren Buffett. Since it was established 20 years ago, the foundation has contributed more than $6 billion to medical research and health care, focusing on treatment and prevention of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, measles and other diseases, particularly in Africa and some of the poorest parts of the world.

On Feb. 5, the foundation announced a $100 million donation to fund research and development of drugs and other treatments for COVID-19.

There are people in the world that are never happy. Bill Gates isn't doing enough.

What a load of bullshit that is. And YOU are doing what, exactly? Staying inside?

Athletes, musicians and actors should keep their mouths shut? Perhaps just regular ol' people should, too. Seeing that athletes, musician and actors are people...

I know someone that's denying things about it, and supports an orange mop's denial and lies about it, that is 72 years old and considers it nothing worse than the flu and, really, nothing like the flu at all.

The willful ignorance and arrogance, typical American, of course, blows my mind.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 25, 2020 20:03

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.cnbc.com]

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

[www.mercurynews.com]

There are people in the world that are never happy. Bill Gates isn't doing enough.

What a load of bullshit that is. And YOU are doing what, exactly? Staying inside?

Athletes, musicians and actors should keep their mouths shut? Perhaps just regular ol' people should, too. Seeing that athletes, musician and actors are people...

I know someone that's denying things about it, and supports an orange mop's denial and lies about it, that is 72 years old and considers it nothing worse than the flu and, really, nothing like the flu at all.

The willful ignorance and arrogance, typical American, of course, blows my mind.

The orange one is ignorant and arrogant. I'm not fond of your stating those traits as those typical to all Americans. Be nice. Things are bad enough over here.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 25, 2020 20:48

* 20-50% infection rate across populations apparently inevitable no matter what we do, it's just when. Hospital overflow is the only thing to manage. It'll burn itself out at a certain infection rate.
* US mortality is almost certainly significantly less than .5% given all the undiagnosed cases - less than 1,000 deaths while potentially millions infected
* Germany at .41% mortality per *diagnosed* cases
* I believe Italy & NYC are outliers/unique for various reasons

Prediction: The Stones will roll this year

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 25, 2020 21:03

What a drag it is the shape I'm in
Well, I go out somewhere then I come home again
I light a cigarette 'cause I can't get no sleep
There's nothing on the TV, nothing on the radio
That means that much to me
All my life
Watching America
All my life
There's panic in America
Oh, there's trouble in America, oh

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 25, 2020 21:21

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jlowe
At today's date:
-Total cases = 69176

Who really knows.

And that is exactly why there is no way to accurately calculate the death rate.

And the percentage will eventually be less and less as more people get tested etc.

Not to mention all the people that have it and don't even know it. And will never get tested.

There are a few countries which have been testing a lot, so the fatality rate is published by WHO, see this thread some weeks ago. WHO says the fatality rate for the coronavirus is 1% -0.5%/+0.5% i.e. some 10 times more fatal than the annual flu.

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2020 21:49

Nate

Nate

yeah, I think Gates is one billionaire that probably has a bit of credibility when it comes to philanthropy.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 25, 2020 21:51

I refer to Johns Hopkins corona Map. Waiting for the recovery number everywhere to increase while cases dcsrease

[coronavirus.jhu.edu]

Date: March 25, 2020 22:30

Interesting interactive map of the US that ranks the different states, counties, etc. on how they are doing when it comes to social distancing,
Washington scored a "B" as did the county I reside in. Not bad, but room for improvement.
Updated daily.

Social Distancing Scoreboard

[www.unacast.com]

Date: March 25, 2020 22:45

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

Hey Mr. CR all is well?

I'm still waiting on test results. Another nasty health issue has sprung up so i'm pretty much laid up. hope all is well with you.

Date: March 25, 2020 22:50

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.cnbc.com]

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

[www.mercurynews.com]

ahh..the old "what are you doing?" message.

Thank you for asking....here's a list:

1) staying inside...yep....which is, of course, one of the most important things one can do....though, I do go to the grocery store for myself and my 90-year-old neighbor who lives alone

2) I gave blood last week....granted that was scheduled months ago.

3) I cashed out a CD about 10 days ago...it was worth 1% of my total net worth and I donated it to Doctors without Borders (Gates' donation is worth 0.01% of his net worth, by comparison...and money means nothing to him...I'm a school teacher...proportionality)

4) I give 5% of my pre-tax salary to charity every year

5) We're adopting a cat...shelters are inundated...so, the local shelter is dropping it off tomorrow (at the end of my driveway, per social-distancing)....to add to our 3 other shelter cats and 3 shelter dogs.

Bill Gates does a lot. Good for him. He can do more. Are you claiming that as false??

Are you fully content w/ what he is doing? If so, that's fine...but, then you must be content w/ the inequities of the world and the fact that one person is worth more than Slovakia...while billions go without.

As stated, he does a lot of good....but he also chooses to keep $100 billion for himself.

If you're cool w/ that, so be it. It's a semi-free country and you're entitled to your position...just as I am.

"Athletes et. al should keep their mouths shut....if they are not giving money"...you forgot the 2nd half of that....try not to intentionally misquote to prove a point.

and...yep, feel free to add "regular people" to that, if you wish...if you aren't doing anything to help, you should shut up...same w/ people that don't vote.

....that goes for grumping about Trump as well, FYI.

Bill Gates can/should do more. Everyone who is capable can/should do more...I'm fully aware that includes me. So, I'll think of something. I'm very, very, very lucky.

I'll keep you posted.

I have no idea if the "ignorant and arrogant" is aimed at me or Trump or some random 72-year-old...or all three, so I'll just let that part lay.

feel free to share your list of things you are doing.

In fact, everybody should....it would give us a sense of hope and great ideas moving forward....things we can all do.

I hope you and yours are healthy and safe.

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

Date: March 25, 2020 23:02

GasLightStreet
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101

[www.cnbc.com]

whatever....

Follow up Comments:

[www.mercurynews.com]

I told you'd I'd think of something else to add to my list.

I just made a donation to Doctors w/o Borders in your honor.

Check your email...check the spam, if it ain't in yer Inbox...

[donate.doctorswithoutborders.org]

your turn...pay it forward.

hoping you are safe and healthy.

Posted by: Kerryann ()
Date: March 25, 2020 23:21

Here in New Zealand we have today gone to the level 4 alert. The highest level. This is to try and prevent community spread getting out of control. It means that everyone nationwide is in lockdown. Only those employed in essential services allowed to leave their house. We cannot visit parks, beaches, or drive anywhere except to the supermarket, Dr or pharmacy. We can go for walks near our home if we don't have contact with anyone else.

We are in lockdown for the next four weeks at least. I only hope everyone abides by these rules so that we can get back to some sort of normality sooner rather than later. We've been told our infection rate will increase significantly over the next 2 weeks as those already infected are tested and are confirmed. We have just over 200 cases and only have 6 people in hospital at this stage and no deaths. Really hope we have acted in time. Our authorities are enforcing the lockdown only moderately, not forcefully like China did, but with warning and then subsequent fines/forced quarantine.

We have declared a National State of Emergency giving our government additional powers if needed.

Our borders are closed to foreigners, and those Kiwi's returning home will be placed in quarantine facilities if they have no plans regarding self isolation or if they have symptoms.

Big impact on jobs, businesses and those with young families and big mortgages, but very necessary to try and stem this bastard virus.

We are chilling out at home, trying to treat ourselves with some nice bottles of wine and of course listening to Stones and blues music.
We won't starve, we have a roof over our heads, we have alcohol and music, so we can get through what is basically house arrest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-25 23:23 by Kerryann.

Date: March 25, 2020 23:29

Yeah.. no doubt we all could do more sticky.
I'm gonna go ahead and cut him a break, based on the facts, he's doing better than most.

"In August 2010, 40 of America’s wealthiest people joined together in a commitment to give the majority of their wealth to address some of society’s most pressing problems. Created by Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett, the Giving Pledge came to life following a series of conversations with philanthropists around the world about how they could collectively set a new standard of generosity among the ultra-wealthy."-

"Founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett in 2010, the pledge has 204 signatories including Marc Benioff, MacKenzie Bezos, and Mark Zuckerberg — and it could be worth up to $600 billion by 2022, research firm Wealth-X found

[givingpledge.org]

I'm going to see myself out of the Gates conversation I brought up, and wish you well as well.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 25, 2020 23:42

jlowe
At today's date:
-Total cases = 69176

Who really knows.

It's a bit too early to attempt to calculate a somewhat accurate mortality rate as the pandemic is still in full progress. Also, we have no idea of the actual number of infected persons, the confirmed positives are only the persons tested positive so far and their number naturally does not include anyone not tested yet, and the estimates about the dark figure of symptom-free and therefore possibly never detected cases differ vastly (in what I read, ranging from 50-80% but I wouldn't bet on any figure here).

Who (or what) counts as a coronavirus death victim is uniform across Europe, thus the respective numbers can be compared:

Judith Aberle from the Centre for Virology at MedUni Vienna says that those who are counted as coronavirus death victims are treated uniformly in Europe. On the one hand, this includes those who are known to be infected, and on the other hand, in the case of deaths with relevant symptoms such as severe pneumonia or high fever, the virus is tested, Aberle tells the "Wiener Zeitung". … "A test of a deceased person without a corona history will only be carried out if there is an indication of a possible infection." [www.wienerzeitung.at]
(What I don't know is if "Europe" here refers only to the European Union or also includes European countries that are not members of the EU.)

But what are comparable numbers of deaths good for in determining the case fatality rate if we don't know in relation to what they have to be interpreted?

Date: March 25, 2020 23:45

MisterDDDD
Yeah.. no doubt we all could do more sticky.
I'm gonna go ahead and cut him a break, based on the facts, he's doing better than most.

"In August 2010, 40 of America’s wealthiest people joined together in a commitment to give the majority of their wealth to address some of society’s most pressing problems. Created by Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett, the Giving Pledge came to life following a series of conversations with philanthropists around the world about how they could collectively set a new standard of generosity among the ultra-wealthy."-

"Founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett in 2010, the pledge has 204 signatories including Marc Benioff, MacKenzie Bezos, and Mark Zuckerberg — and it could be worth up to $600 billion by 2022, research firm Wealth-X found

[givingpledge.org]

I'm going to see myself out of the Gates conversation I brought up, and wish you well as well.

agreed.

I imagine we agree on more than we disagree anyway...so...onward.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 26, 2020 02:18

About donation........................

Wisdom from the past.......

So when you give to the needy, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the ............ and on the streets, to be praised by men.

Date: March 26, 2020 02:49

Finally got my test result after a week. Came back negative. I still need to be careful because of immune system issues but at least don't have to do full quarantine.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 26, 2020 03:08

crholmstrom
Finally got my test result after a week. Came back negative. I still need to be careful because of immune system issues but at least don't have to do full quarantine.

Good news. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home