Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:06

Nate
Chris Fountain
In my honest opinion, this is nothing more than overblown case of media induced paranoia. The Flu has subsided in China and South Korea. On and on. When they show 20,000 deaths versus 5 billion folks on earth then I have to question as with the population explosion a number like 20k doesn't frightened me from a statistical standpoint.

YES it is Sad folks die every day but there is no reason for us not to go on with our Normal Lives.

Even the news sources ARE questioning themselves how this crisis started and whom? What a media circus.

Well my 3 month old niece was rushed into hospital today with breathing difficulties.The doctors say it’s probably the Coronavirus but won’t test for it as she’s now been sent home and my sister was told to keep an eye on her and take her back to the emergency department if needed.

So no this is not paranoia and it’s not the flu.

Nate

Why the unwillingness to test? Is it the age ?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:09

Nate
Chris Fountain
In my honest opinion, this is nothing more than overblown case of media induced paranoia. The Flu has subsided in China and South Korea. On and on. When they show 20,000 deaths versus 5 billion folks on earth then I have to question as with the population explosion a number like 20k doesn't frightened me from a statistical standpoint.

YES it is Sad folks die every day but there is no reason for us not to go on with our Normal Lives.

Even the news sources ARE questioning themselves how this crisis started and whom? What a media circus.

Well my 3 month old niece was rushed into hospital today with breathing difficulties.The doctors say it’s probably the Coronavirus but won’t test for it as she’s now been sent home and my sister was told to keep an eye on her and take her back to the emergency department if needed.

Nate

Oh man so sorry...I hope all works out ok. You're all probably understandably quite freaked right now. All the best to you and your family.

It's not going to be a lot more time before even Chris Fountain understands, as the exponential rate of growth in the US means that within a couple of weeks with doubling every 3 days (on average right now) it will be everywhere.

Here in Canada, we're a week or two behind the US, but sadly on the same timeline. Social distancing being practiced, but this is just slowing it down a the moment so quadrupling every week, instead of doubling every 3 days.

We need a complete lockdown.

EDIT: Just heard Trump on TV advocate for "packed churches" on Easter, as it's important to him and he thinks they'll be through it by then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 23:10 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:17

Yes it is very frightening when someone you love is sick especially when they are so young and can’t express what they are feeling.
My niece is back home and recovering so hopefully she will be completely over it very soon.My sister was told they only test if admitted to a hospital ward.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

Nate

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:18

Fingers crossed for your niece Nate - and for her family.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:19

jlowe
Nate
Chris Fountain

Nate

Why the unwillingness to test? Is it the age ?

it's the fact that she's not a movie star or professional athlete....plain and simple.

it is total BS the way the tests are being distributed....this whole pandemic is demonstrative of how f'd up our priorities are...the entire NBA gets tested for no reason whatsoever, while those in dire need are sent home w/ a couple of tylenol (if that) and told there's no tests.

it's pissing me off in the extreme.

Good luck, Nate....I'll tell my wife to say a prayer for your niece tonight. I can't imagine your distress...good luck. Hang in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 23:20 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:33

Thank you I’m sure my niece will be fine and we all feel much better now she’s back at home.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:36

Nate
Thank you I’m sure my niece will be fine and we all feel much better now she’s back at home.

Nate
Very scary during these times. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:49

All the best to you and family Nate

Rod

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 25, 2020 00:03

Here's top news from the States (from the Swiss newspaper "Blick"):

She thought it was soap.

American woman washes her hands with cheese for days.

Quite dangerous in times of the coronavirus pandemic: An American woman washed her hands for several days with a piece of cheese - and was surprised that it simply did not foam.

[www.blick.ch]

Honestly, I'm wondering if the story isn't just made up. Almost sounds too crazy to be true. But who knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-25 00:04 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2020 00:19

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 25 March 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 25, 2020 00:44

doitywoik

She thought it was soap.

Quite dangerous in times of the coronavirus pandemic: An American woman washed her hands for several days with a piece of cheese - and was surprised that it simply did not foam.

[www.blick.ch]

Honestly, I'm wondering if the story isn't just made up. Almost sounds too crazy to be true. But who knows.

First of all don't believe nothing you read.............if things are thru you will hear it or see

Date: March 25, 2020 00:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 25, 2020 01:17

NICOS
doitywoik

She thought it was soap.

[www.blick.ch]

First of all don't believe nothing you read.............if things are thru you will hear it or see

I just saw that the story also made it through the English language media, e.g. [www.irishpost.com]
Anybody here from Vancouver to confirm or disconfirm the story?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 25, 2020 01:20

Chris Fountain
I just purchased 10k in Disney Stock and will be looking for deals tomorrow. This is just another media frenzied event that does not support anyone other than the reporter itself.

Go out run, exercise - we all go back to work in a week or two. Some bank stocks may be on the horizon

Dream on and get real - many people the world over already have no jobs to go back to. As a freelancer, all my jobs for the rest of this year have been either cancelled or postponed till who knows when. But I can fortunately muddle through one way or another, whereas some absolutely cannot do so any which way without substantial government support, which in some countries is non-existent to srart with.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 25, 2020 02:35

Chris Fountain
I just purchased 10k in Disney Stock and will be looking for deals tomorrow. This is just another media frenzied event that does not support anyone other than the reporter itself.

Go out run, exercise - we all go back to work in a week or two. Some bank stocks may be on the horizon

Go for it dude. I am home feeling absolutely miserable and can't even get tested. When I see comments like this I think the wrong people are getting this thing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2020 02:57

doitywoik
NICOS
doitywoik

She thought it was soap.

[www.blick.ch]

I just saw that the story also made it through the English language media, e.g. [www.irishpost.com]
Anybody here from Vancouver to confirm or disconfirm the story?

Top news from the States?

Whether it's true or not who really gives a crap, there's far more serious things going on here...

Date: March 25, 2020 03:27

Why Germany’s coronavirus death rate is so much lower than other countries’ rates

"In Italy, 9.5% of the people who have tested positive for the virus have succumbed to COVID-19, according to data compiled at the Johns Hopkins University. In France, the rate is 4.3%. But in Germany, it’s 0.4%.

The biggest reason for the difference, infectious disease experts say, is Germany’s work in the early days of its outbreak to track, test and contain infection clusters. That means Germany has a truer picture of the size of its outbreak than places that test only the obviously symptomatic, most seriously ill or highest-risk patients."
[www.seattletimes.com]

Date: March 25, 2020 03:37

This facility is three blocks from my house,
Been doing nothing but essentials for weeks now, but this is the time you start to worry about the gas pumps, grocery check outs, and mailboxes etc.

Five more positive tests at Bellingham nursing facility
Five more employees of Bellingham’s Shuksan Healthcare Center have tested positive for COVID-19 illness, the facility announced Tuesday.

That brings to 37 the number of residents and staff to test positive at the nursing facility in Bellingham’s York neighborhood. Twenty-six residents and 11 staff members have tested positive at the facility, which has 38 current residents.
[www.seattletimes.com]

Date: March 25, 2020 03:42

Be safe MisterDDDD!!!!

daspyknows
I am home feeling absolutely miserable and can't even get tested.

Damn - hope you start feeling better soon daspy.

Date: March 25, 2020 03:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 25, 2020 04:42

I think that I have mentioned Thunderf00t in the past. A real analytical science guy, one of the things he likes to do is bust fraudulent GoFundMe campaigns.

With all the measures already in place, if you assume an exponential spread anyway, it looks pretty grim with full virus coverage over the USA in 20 days.

video: [youtu.be]

Date: March 25, 2020 05:03

An actual billionaire that understands science and facts.
He's estimating the length of shutdown needed at six to ten weeks, provided there's an increase of testing etc.

Bill Gates says the US missed its chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown and businesses should stay closed

“The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown,” Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online.
“We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown.”

“It’s January when everybody should’ve been on notice,” Gates added. The virus was first discovered in December in China."
[www.cnbc.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 25, 2020 07:46

Oh hoorah eye rolling smiley, Louisiana is now leading the world in terms of new cases reported, mostly in the New Orleans area. Mardi Gras considered a leading culprit. I've actually got non-urgent doctor's appointments next week and am amazed they haven't called to cancel (if they don't, I will).

Best wishes going out to all those here--daspyknows and others--who may be affected. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 25, 2020 08:05

treaclefingers
OK, in a day of already bad news I'd like to point out a pretty negative trending stat of late, using [www.worldometers.info] as my source, which has been pretty good and usually quite uptodate.

[snip]

The rest of the world right now, aside from China, has 35000 that have recovered and 15610 deaths. So out of a total of just over 50000 outcomes, the death rate is 31%.
It’s astronomical and worse, it is getting higher every day.
Maybe there are explanations for that, like people that die, die sooner than people get completely resolved.
But I didn’t see that happening in China.

The Italian example right now has a death rate of 45% of outcomes. It’s eye watering. Even if EVERY SINGLE OTHER CASE in Italy resolved with a positive outcome right now (highly unlikely) you’d have a death rate of 9.9%. That is best case scenario. That is the SARS death rate, 10%, only it didn’t spread as quickly.

These are the numbers, I’m just doing some simple division, and anyone can check this for themselves.

The only thing that could bring these death rates down, is maybe way way more people have it already and are just not being counted, and I mean in Italy for example, by 10 fold. So 690000 cases instead of 69000 officially showing, so a death rate of 4.5%

Anyway, I just needed to get that out. Most people are taking this seriously but it’s too bad we have a few just not quite able to get it.

This is just so wrong it hurts. It's alarming and irresponsible.

If you go to the John Hopkins University site [www.arcgis.com] and look at the figures presented there you can get a good idea of what's going on.

It's important to look at the numbers carefully.

If you look at China, you'll see that there's a small difference between the total number of cases reported (on the one hand) and the sum of the total deaths and total recovered (on the other hand). That's because the more recent 5,000 or so have not been sorted out. Working with the numbers there you get a death rate of about 4.2%. Dreadful, but not the dangerously misleading figures quoted above. But, it's a good estimate because the China-phase seems to be over.

But if you look at, say, the Australia figures you'll see that because of the 'early' (my term) stage of the epidemic there have only been 8 deaths so far and 119 reported recoveries. So the apparent death rate is very low indeed - 0.3%. And that's skewed because there are so many cases that are still 'active', so a sensible estimate cannot be made.

The figures for Italy do not bear out the 45% claim above. There have been 69,176 cases and so far 6,820 deaths. That's a dreadful 10% rate. Even if you assume that every single one of the cases listed as 'Serious/Critical' (3,393) on [www.worldometers.info] results in death, that would bring the casualty figure up to 14%.

It's worth pointing out that the Italian figures are going to be atypical due to the average age of the population, plus a very strong local cultural resistance to seeking medical help ... until it's almost too late.

Countries with good 21st century public health systems will fare far better than those with an essentially private health system.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 25, 2020 09:23

Date: March 25, 2020 09:59

Three people at the office infected now.

I'm still not feeling any symptoms, luckily. The chemo cure I did in october wiped away all the vaccines I've taken through life, so I'm waiting for a pneumonia vaccine. It helps a bit if I get pnemonia, but not for the coronavirus per se.

One day left of the max incubation period. Fingers crossed smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-25 10:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 25, 2020 10:01

MisterDDDD
An actual billionaire that understands science and facts.
He's estimating the length of shutdown needed at six to ten weeks, provided there's an increase of testing etc.

Bill Gates says the US missed its chance to avoid coronavirus shutdown and businesses should stay closed

“The U.S. is past this opportunity to control (COVID-19) without shutdown,” Gates said during a TED Connects program broadcast online.
“We did not act fast enough to have an ability to avoid the shutdown.”

“It’s January when everybody should’ve been on notice,” Gates added. The virus was first discovered in December in China."
[www.cnbc.com]

Spare me the celebrity rich guy ass-kissing. Bill Gates is a thief that stole the technology that made him rich.
As Steve Jobs said “ we both had a rich neighbor named Xerox and we broke into the house to steal the tv but you got there first”
Now he’s an expert on the world.
Of course he thinks everything should be shut down, he doesn’t lose his job, his home, his children’s college fund, his marriage and everything he owns.
You do realize when we shut the country down that also kills people, right?

Date: March 25, 2020 10:02

Stay safe Bard ….
we need your expertise here ….

Take special care ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 25, 2020 10:02

MisterDDDD
"In Italy, 9.5% of the people who have tested positive for the virus have succumbed to COVID-19,
The biggest reason for the difference, infectious disease experts say, is Germany’s work in the early days of its outbreak to track, test and contain infection clusters.

Right,
in Italy the test is only for those who arrive at the hospital, for that the percentage is high
Sici

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 25, 2020 10:09

latest chart for Seattle. As you can see, things are still climbing dramatically. I haven't got my test results. I had a long conversation with my primary doctor & he is angry about it & is putting pressure on the lab. He had been out of town until Monday. With my immune system issues he wants me to continue with what I have been doing for the past few weeks regardless of the test results. Said I have been smart about it. I've only left the house for food for me & my shut in landlord & prescriptions. Will continue to do so unless put into full quarantine. I've developed another serious unrelated health issue & wouldn't be going out anyway. Stay safe all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-25 11:54 by crholmstrom.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home