Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 24, 2020 17:28

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 24, 2020 17:28

Koen
Go Ronnie!

[twitter.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 17:57

MisterDDDD
Koen
Go Ronnie!

[twitter.com]

thumbs up

Wonderful post by Ronnie

Rod

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 24, 2020 18:01

Norway Government Press Conference today at 6pm:

The lockdown implemented Thursday March 12 i.e. 12 days ago is working as expected, in slowing down the virus, and is now extended up to and including the Easter Holiday i.e. until April 13.

How was the situation before the lockdown:

Every coronavirus positive person transmitted to 2.4 other people, i.e. dangerously rapid

After the lockdown, the R = virus reproduction i.e. how many one sick person transmit to is now down from 2.4 into may be 1.3, and the goal is to get it down to 1.0, and below that.

If the virus is out of control, this will happen:

- Too many get sick too fast
- The health system will break down
- Other diseases and accidents will not get priority
- Even young coronasick people will die because of limited medical resources

This is in short from the press conference today.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 18:02 by bv.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 24, 2020 18:20

bv
Norway Government Press Conference today at 6pm

Straight and to the point!
By contrast the daily conference by our (=French) Minister of Health implied hospital personnel got the disease, not at work (due to a criminal lack of masks?), but on the way to/from home. moody smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 24, 2020 18:24

dcba
bv
Norway Government Press Conference today at 6pm

Straight and to the point!
By contrast the daily conference by our (=French) Minister of Health implied hospital personnel got the disease, not at work (due to a criminal lack of masks?), but on the way to/from home. moody smiley

Exactly what happened to Italy.

C

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 24, 2020 18:28

Now the virus has hit right next door to my work site in the adjoining building at our office complex . Unbelievable as our any of us safe and protected or is it inevitable ? God Help us and hear our pleas for Mercy !

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 24, 2020 18:47

I would suppose that the logic behind deeming cannabis stores “essential businesses” in Washington State is that cannabis was originally legalized here for those with a medical need, and that while it is now available to all adults as a recreational drug, for many, it still serves a medicinal component.

As a record store owner faced with shuttering my doors for the common good, I find this an unfair standard to apply to suppliers of music media and music equipment (i.e. instruments). Many studies have been done on the salubrious effects of music.

I like to smoke weed, but have taken a hiatus during this pandemic, as it seems to be particularly troublesome for those with lung issues and breathing difficulties. I have neither of those, but don’t find it worthwhile to tempt fate.

I understand the reasoning behind granting breweries, distilleries and liquor stores that serve food “essential” status. Take booze away from the public, and suddenly the already overburdened hospitals will be further stressed by cases of alcoholics suffering from the DT’s.

The order isn’t restricting cannabis shops to the sales of edibles and tinctures, however, it still allows for the smokeable flowers, which may hasten breathing and lung issues for some. Furthermore, no one goes through severe physical withdrawal when they stop using cannabis. Your dream state becomes much more active, and you need to find other coping mechanisms to manage psychological stress, but these are not insurmountable and don’t require hospitalization. No one ever mentions having “the weed shakes”.

Generally, Governor Inslee has been a calming presence in this crisis, but some of his decisions, like deciding what is and isn’t essential, and when to enforce a more strict shutdown, smack of the passive-aggressive tendencies that we Washingtonians are all too deservedly recognized for.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:09

bitusa2012
MisterDDDD
Koen
Go Ronnie!

[twitter.com]

thumbs up

Wonderful post by Ronnie

And another one

[twitter.com]

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:15

Meanwhile Trump is on Fox talking in circles. He is now at fault for the spread of this virus through America and around the world. He cannot answer a question without making excuses. Keeps blaming the democrats and talking about the economy. What a fool. If we are all sick or dead there won't be an economy anyway.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:17

I take your point on the value of music--it's a life saver.

However,folks can still access music without venturing into a physical store/ space. I would wager that most do, given the relative absence of stores that sell recorded music. It's a hard call but one that needs to be made.
Full disclosure: I work in the area of design thinking and innovation and would typically conduct workshops with 25-200 people.That's all gone for the time being, regardless of the value the work may bring.

Stay safe,

Camper

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:25

The rational for keeping weed stores open is more complex that a) wanting to keep people sedated or b) the health value of the product. The larger rationale is that users who are denied access to a product that was very recently an illegal substance may go back to using black market or "illegal" channels to acquire the product and resultantly put people at greater risk of infection with the virus by engaging with people in ways that don't promote safe social distancing.

Don't matter where you are, ev'rybody, ev'rybody gonna
Need some kind of ventilator, some kind of ventilator.

Stay safe,

Camper

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:27

Politics Politics Politics ...

I don't really understand why or how any country or leader may use this coronavirus crisis in a partisan way. It is a shame, it is totally unacceptable, and those politicians who try to shine on they own, by saying "I", and not "we", should be sent into complete darkness.

Since the crisis were clear in my country, all partisan politics stopped. No pushing of separate politics. No "I am better than you" sort of talks. Emergency laws and packages for people and companies have been agreed upon without any partisan promotion. Sure there have been talks, but in crisis times, worst since World War Two, any normal person would see through cheap political points.

There are some very simple tasks to be done now, according to the experts:

1. Slow down the virus
2. Save the economy of people and companies
3. Take care of the well being of children, youths, adults, and elderly
4. Keep as much as possible of normal life running
5. All people to keep two meters distance i.e. seven feet apart

This will be a blimp in time, everything will be fine, and our economies will rise, for sure. In a year or so we will look back and talk about those leaders who saved us, and we will also know those who failed to lead in the critical moments of time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:39

Javadave
I would suppose that the logic behind deeming cannabis stores “essential businesses” in Washington State is that cannabis was originally legalized here for those with a medical need, and that while it is now available to all adults as a recreational drug, for many, it still serves a medicinal component.

As a record store owner faced with shuttering my doors for the common good, I find this an unfair standard to apply to suppliers of music media and music equipment (i.e. instruments). Many studies have been done on the salubrious effects of music.

I like to smoke weed, but have taken a hiatus during this pandemic, as it seems to be particularly troublesome for those with lung issues and breathing difficulties. I have neither of those, but don’t find it worthwhile to tempt fate.

I understand the reasoning behind granting breweries, distilleries and liquor stores that serve food “essential” status. Take booze away from the public, and suddenly the already overburdened hospitals will be further stressed by cases of alcoholics suffering from the DT’s.

The order isn’t restricting cannabis shops to the sales of edibles and tinctures, however, it still allows for the smokeable flowers, which may hasten breathing and lung issues for some. Furthermore, no one goes through severe physical withdrawal when they stop using cannabis. Your dream state becomes much more active, and you need to find other coping mechanisms to manage psychological stress, but these are not insurmountable and don’t require hospitalization. No one ever mentions having “the weed shakes”.

Generally, Governor Inslee has been a calming presence in this crisis, but some of his decisions, like deciding what is and isn’t essential, and when to enforce a more strict shutdown, smack of the passive-aggressive tendencies that we Washingtonians are all too deservedly recognized for.

I have severe RA & only do low dosage edibles, some with CDB. I've been fighting RA for about 10 years & am in pretty bad shape as I have a rare & aggressive version. The pot edibles help me from having to up the pain med dosages which are already pretty high. So, I'm not looking to get buzzed at all. Hence the low dosage edibles. Other states that have both medical & recreational pot are only allowing the medicinal to be sold. In Washington its all under the same umbrella. I don't see much harm in allowing it. Will keep a lot of people on the couch watching tv. Hope your record store can reopen. It is a rare breed now. Which one is it? I have breakfast at Easy Street in Seattle often when I have an appetite. They are doing take out & delivery during the crisis. Take care.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:43

Father Ted
bitusa2012
I read this tonight in a business magazine:

“Trump is growing anxious that the plummeting stock market could cost him his re-election bid, according to the Washington Post.

The president has long touted the economy as his main argument for reelection. The pandemic threatens to upend that dynamic.”

I reckon he’s more concerned with the value of everything he holds dear. Not people. His “wealth”.

Seriously, he wants to EASE restrictions????? He’s an individual, that’s for sure. Anyone seen his family through all this? Running the country, as they ARE on the Govt payroll, or in splendid isolation? He’s a sickening individual. Sorry, I just had to vent. I pity my US friends, some of whom likeD him, but even to them, he’s showing his true child like colours.

Money is all he knows. I can imagine he's under a lot of pressure to relax restrictions. To do that now would be massively counterproductive as the virus would spread more quickly, infect more people, cost more lives and, in the medium-term, do more damage to the economy.

Money is all the super-rich care about....

It's sad that they are not being called-out for their selfishness. They are using up test-kits when they don't need to and they are (on the whole) giving nothing back

Ronnie's Tweets about books and rehab etc. are kind and thoughtful, for sure....but, how about some cash, Ron?

CEPI says there's a $2billion funding shortage for a vaccine....

Robert Kraft (owner of the NE Patriots) could pay that and still have $5 billion left over...he's spending his money thanking Tom Brady in Billboards

Speaking of the Super Rich:

[www.politico.com]

Thursday Night: "You may have been exposed to Corona at our HQ"

Friday AM: "you're fired"

What a joke.

Mark Cuban gave $500m...that's a drop in the bucket for him, but at least it is something.

Our society needs a serious examination and re-set of our priorities after this is over.

...unless Ronaldo comes up w/ a cure, of course.

whatever.

Here's an article I wrote that was published in my local paper, if you care to read it....

[www.capecodtimes.com]

Stay safe, everyone!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 19:46 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 24, 2020 19:46

Sad news for Jo Wood, whose brother died yesterday, one day after being admitted to hospital with pneumonia/breathing difficulties. Not clear if COVID-19 was involved, but it sounds as if it could be a possibility.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 24, 2020 20:53

Good point about the Black Market, Camper. That still exists anyway, but that’s one less thing for the authorities to be concerned with. Wonder if that rationale applies to gun dealers too? To be clear, I am in no way advocating for the closure of cannabis shops, I just find the definition of “essential” businesses uneven.

Thanks for the sentiments, to both you and Chris. I hope you both weather this storm for the better too. It’s bittersweet working today, knowing that by 5:30 p.m. tomorrow we will be closing for at least a fortnight, and who really knows? 15 years of doing this practically everyday. Suppose it’s high time to bow to popular trends and start dealing online. At that point, though, the necessity of running an urban brick and mortar store seems counterintuitive at best, and vanity at worst. Other than major holidays, we never closed. Ice storms that locked our city down for days, and I was open every day. Oh well, c’est la vie.

Out of respect for BV maintaining iorr as a non-commercial site, I won’t post my business name here. We are in the U-District in the basement of the largest music venue in the neighborhood. You should be able to figure it from there. If we’re still here when this is all over, drop in and say hi. Until then, good tidings to you all!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 24, 2020 21:33

Is this true? In Åre in Sweden the ski slopes remain open despite the corona virus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 21:37 by MAF.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 24, 2020 21:52

Weed stores were considered “essential” from the beginning of the lockdown in California.

After a week of rainy and/or dreary cloudy days, we had some sunny days in San Diego and many people went to the beaches and parks, SO MANY people went out and it was crowded and no 6 foot social distancing was happening, so San Diego’s mayor closed ALL beaches, parks and hiking trails.

Date: March 24, 2020 22:03

JadedFaded
Weed stores were considered “essential” from the beginning of the lockdown in California.

After a week of rainy and/or dreary cloudy days, we had some sunny days in San Diego and many people went to the beaches and parks, SO MANY people went out and it was crowded and no 6 foot social distancing was happening, so San Diego’s mayor closed ALL beaches, parks and hiking trails.

well, if you mean "medical marijuana" I agree they are "essential."

recreational marijuana is no more "essential" than liquor stores...IMO.

Date: March 24, 2020 22:09

MAF
Is this true? In Åre in Sweden the ski slopes remain open despite the corona virus.

Madness..

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:11

I just purchased 10k in Disney Stock and will be looking for deals tomorrow. This is just another media frenzied event that does not support anyone other than the reporter itself.

Go out run, exercise - we all go back to work in a week or two. Some bank stocks may be on the horizon

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:23

bitusa2012

“Trump is growing anxious that the plummeting stock market could cost him his re-election bid, according to the Washington Post.

The president has long touted the economy as his main argument for reelection. The pandemic threatens to upend that dynamic.”

I reckon he’s more concerned with the value of everything he holds dear. Not people. His “wealth”.

Seriously, he wants to EASE restrictions????? He’s an individual, that’s for sure. Anyone seen his family through all this? Running the country, as they ARE on the Govt payroll, or in splendid isolation? He’s a sickening individual. Sorry, I just had to vent. I pity my US friends, some of whom likeD him, but even to them, he’s showing his true child like colours.

It's true though that it's a balancing act and eventually a decision will be made to get back to business and monitor the Coronavirus simultaneously. This can be done, early hot spots(like Washington State) will most likely get the okay to go back to work sooner than NY for example. Anyone who thinks the World was prepared for such an outbreak is kidding themselves. Say what you what but Trump is not pretending to be the Surgeon General or the head of FEMA. The assembled team is impressive and Trump admits to be learning more about this than he ever expected and the US will be better prepared. He does have a great business feel and knows the country could collapse economically very soon. And yes there will be more deaths related to a depression(health and mental) compared to this virus.

I'm just a working stiff doing my best to stay vigilant and keep my job. Am I being selfish, I don't think so. If I was in Trump's shoes I'd also be looking at starting the economic engines, we'd be crazy not to think every World leader isn't thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:23

bitusa2012

It's true though that it's a balancing act and eventually a decision will be made to get back to business and monitor the Coronavirus simultaneously. This can be done, early hot spots(like Washington State) will most likely get the okay to go back to work sooner than NY for example. Anyone who thinks the World was prepared for such an outbreak is kidding themselves. Say what you what but Trump is not pretending to be the Surgeon General or the head of FEMA. The assembled team is impressive and Trump admits to be learning more about this than he ever expected and the US will be better prepared. He does have a great business feel and knows the country could collapse economically very soon. And yes there will be more deaths related to a depression(health and mental) compared to this virus.

I'm just a working stiff doing my best to stay vigilant and keep my job. Am I being selfish, I don't think so. If I was in Trump's shoes I'd also be looking at starting the economic engines, we'd be crazy not to think every World leader isn't thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:26

Also here in Finland, all political parties are pretty much unanimous about the measures taken. Even the President (who is not as much the political leader of the country as a ceremonial one) was implicated in the discussions.

Finland will introduce some of the more stringent new measures tomorrow, subject to Parliament approval.

Date: March 24, 2020 22:36

Topi
Also here in Finland, all political parties are pretty much unanimous about the measures taken. Even the President (who is not as much the political leader of the country as a ceremonial one) was implicated in the discussions.

Finland will introduce some of the more stringent new measures tomorrow, subject to Parliament approval.

Good on ya...I was in Finland years ago (for the Stones, actually) and really liked your country (special shout-out to "what's her face" I met at "that bar"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

My country (USA) on the other hand, hasn't been "unanimous" about anything since voting to invade Iraq....or on the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution (Vietnam War).

those both worked out well....eye rolling smiley

go figure.

we're still a great country, but we are all over the place w/ this mess. And there's not a chance we'll have unity in the political climate we are in.

....so, my opinion is that individual Americans need to "do the right thing(s)" and stay the EFF home regardless of what the gov't says/does.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:39

In my honest opinion, this is nothing more than overblown case of media induced paranoia. The Flu has subsided in China and South Korea. On and on. When they show 20,000 deaths versus 5 billion folks on earth then I have to question as with the population explosion a number like 20k doesn't frightened me from a statistical standpoint.

YES it is Sad folks die every day but there is no reason for us not to go on with our Normal Lives.

Even the news sources ARE questioning themselves how this crisis started and whom? What a media circus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-24 22:44 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:48

Chris Fountain
In my honest opinion, this is nothing more than overblown case of media induced paranoia. The Flu has subsided in China and South Korea. On and on. When they show 20,000 deaths versus 5 billion folks on earth then I have to question as with the population explosion a number like 20k doesn't frightened me from a statistical standpoint.

YES it is Sad folks die every day but there is no reason for us not to go on with our Normal Lives.

Even the news sources ARE questioning themselves how this crisis started and whom? What a media circus.
And on the day WHO warns the US will be the epicentre before long. There's a lot that's wrong with this post but I'll politely decline to drive a bus through it, except to say the flu has not 'subsided' in china and south korea, however the peak has been managed through rigorous testing and well enforced measures to stop the spread, i.e. shut down and social distancing.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 24, 2020 22:59

Chris Fountain

Well my 3 month old niece was rushed into hospital today with breathing difficulties.The doctors say it’s probably the Coronavirus but won’t test for it as she’s now been sent home and my sister was told to keep an eye on her and take her back to the emergency department if needed.

So no this is not paranoia and it’s not the flu.

Nate

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 24, 2020 23:03

Chris Fountain

"It's not about you, it's about everybody else"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home