Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 21, 2020 17:54

MisterDDDD
No other country has been this far into the pandemic and still had the number of cases growing at the rates the U.S. is seeing.

[www.ft.com]
Well, @#$%& me.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:17

I am in Gironde, about 35 minutes north of Bordeaux. It is the deep French countryside. The local hospital in Libourne has not had any cases yet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:20

Happy24
ThePaleRider
Happy24

How come 68.000 dead people in Italy during four flu seasons (25.000 in one year!) was no global problem and 4.000 dead people by the end of March this year stop the World turning?

This kind of talk infuriates me...Cornovirus is much more contagious than the common flu, mutates more rapidly than the common flu, has a much higher death rate than the common flu and it is an ANIMAL virus. It's the future consequences that has the world in a panic.

I didn't mean to infuriate anybody.

I posted a scientific article with data and numbers about flu in Italy. Which you deleted from the quote, so plese, if you want to quote me the next time, quote my whole message, not just the part that suits you. It is up to everybody what he/she makes out of the data. If anybody chooses to be infuriated, it is his/her choice.

I post the link to the article again, since that was the crucial part of my post, not the sentence that you took out of context.

[www.sciencedirect.com]

And about "much higher death rate" - there is this useful site that was already posted here before with actual numbers from different countries, which shows that the death rate is very different for different countries:

[www.worldometers.info]

One possible explanation of the very high death rate in Italy is in the article I originally posted. That was the purpose of my post. But feel free to be infuriated...

Well...you asked the question,

How come 68.000 dead people in Italy during four flu seasons (25.000 in one year!) was no global problem and 4.000 dead people by the end of March this year stop the World turning?

...and you received a concise, clear answer. Don't let it bother you the replier was frustrated by your question. Your question implied that this was all 'overblown' clearly showing that you are ignorant to the actual issue at hand. Your not alone, a lot of people are still ignorant to this.

I can only hope that more people will become educated to what is going on, at a faster rate than the virus is spreading.

I think that will benefit everyone.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:24

I saw a report on our national TV today where the US president got very upset when asked on live TV in USA last night about what he would say to the people in USA if the old malaria drug did not "fix the problem", and it got worse. Then the journalist was told: "I say that you are a terrible reporter"

Then our national channel reported that Fox News are now saying the same as the rest of the press, this virus is not at all like the flu.

This reminds me of the statement: "Houston, we have a problem"

The most important task now is to give people accurate and reliable information. Test, test, test, action, action, action, facts, facts, facts.

Trump viciously attacks NBC News reporter in extended rant after being asked for message to Americans worried about coronavirus by CNN

'We have a responsibility': Fox News declares coronavirus a crisis in abrupt U-turn by The Guardian

Tucker Carlson: The coronavirus will get worse -- our leaders need to stop lying about that by Fox News

Bjornulf

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:31

Happy24
ThePaleRider
Happy24

This kind of talk infuriates me...Cornovirus is much more contagious than the common flu, mutates more rapidly than the common flu, has a much higher death rate than the common flu and it is an ANIMAL virus. It's the future consequences that has the world in a panic.

I didn't mean to infuriate anybody.

I posted a scientific article with data and numbers about flu in Italy. Which you deleted from the quote, so plese, if you want to quote me the next time, quote my whole message, not just the part that suits you. It is up to everybody what he/she makes out of the data. If anybody chooses to be infuriated, it is his/her choice.

I post the link to the article again, since that was the crucial part of my post, not the sentence that you took out of context.

[www.sciencedirect.com]

And about "much higher death rate" - there is this useful site that was already posted here before with actual numbers from different countries, which shows that the death rate is very different for different countries:

[www.worldometers.info]

One possible explanation of the very high death rate in Italy is in the article I originally posted. That was the purpose of my post. But feel free to be infuriated...

Thanks Happy24!
The article was a tough cooky, even for me as a former scientist, but highly interesting. I was a bit surprised when I returned from a great, sunny holiday in the Emirates, when, after five days, I developed symptoms of either a flu or the COVID-19. Obviously, the big temperature difference (about 20 degrees C) between the UAE en home, had something to do with it. Luckily I am in good shape, and after three days with body temperatures in the low 38s, all in all I was "back on the road" after a total of six days. The reason why I mentioned COVID-19 as a possibility is that a received Anti-flu vaccin last year October, so couldn't imagine having the flu.
But, as the article shows, it's all very complex, so, being clean now for a month, it's hard to say.
Underestimating this COVID-19 creature would be a big mistake. But all could just as well be over by July/August. Time will learn.
Stay healthy Stoners!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:34

Happy24
I found an extremely interesting article about flu epidemics in Italy in the past few years:

[www.sciencedirect.com]

The article is from November 2019

It says: "Italy showed a higher influenza attributable excess mortality compared to other European countries. especially in the elderly."

It says that 68.000 people died in Italy because of flu between 2013-2017. 25.000 people died because of flu in Italy just in the season 2016-17.

Isn't the current situation pretty much what happens annualy in this part of the World?

I mean in our country we have 900 cases and 0 deaths. One starts to think, that it might be because of different level of health care. But that makes no sense. If we were to follow Italy, which our politicians keep on repeating, we would have to have 80 people dead. That amount of people is not even hospitalized. They are at home and they get no medical treatment whatsoever. There are 7 serious cases and the level of medical care will take part in whether they survive or not. But it has pretty much zero impact on the rest of the cases.

So...?

Come talk to us in 6 weeks with the deaths accelerating and let us know what you think.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:40

bv
I saw a report on our national TV today where the US president got very upset when asked on live TV in USA last night about what he would say to the people in USA if the old malaria drug did not "fix the problem", and it got worse. Then the journalist was told: "I say that you are a terrible reporter"

Then our national channel reported that Fox News are now saying the same as the rest of the press, this virus is not at all like the flu.

The most important task now is to give people accurate and reliable information. Test, test, test, action, action, action, facts, facts, facts.

Trump viciously attacks NBC News reporter in extended rant after being asked for message to Americans worried about coronavirus by CNN

'We have a responsibility': Fox News declares coronavirus a crisis in abrupt U-turn by The Guardian

Tucker Carlson: The coronavirus will get worse -- our leaders need to stop lying about that by Fox News

The reporter actually tossed the reporter a softball question. People are scared, what would you tell them. It was really a bad look. The person to listen to for facts is actually NY Governor Cuomo. Things are pretty bad in NY but he is providing leadership. The biggest issue is lack of personal protective gear for health care workers and lack of ventilators. That is making the situation dire.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:41

keefriff99
bv
keefriff99
Singapore is basically a police state with fancy malls. They have a compliant citizenry, which isn't possible in a country like America.

I'm not saying that we couldn't be doing MUCH more in America, but it's not a good comparison.

Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong and China are all doing extensive testing, and tracing back every positive person, their moving around, then contacting every person they have been near for quarantine procedures and protection of the rest of their population.

I think that is smart and important actions if you want to contain this virus, or any other diseases. To claim some of these countries might have a different political system vs your own preferences is a total side track at a time when thousands of people are infected and now dead, also in USA, UK, Europe and so on.
No, it's not about preferences, it's about governments getting their citizens to behave in a certain way.

It's very safe to say that citizens in Singapore are probably more used to following government edicts than in America. We all love our freedom here, but there's also a massive conspiratorial community here that thinks any government action is a sign of some coming martial law crackdown. People are being willfully stupid here just to show they're not following the herd.

The extreme steps taken in China couldn't be done in America without a full-blown crisis.

I think it may have to do with population size too, easier to get 6M people in Singapore to comply than 300M in the U.S.

China's a whole other matter...

Date: March 21, 2020 18:48

kovach
keefriff99
bv
keefriff99
Singapore is basically a police state with fancy malls. They have a compliant citizenry, which isn't possible in a country like America.

I'm not saying that we couldn't be doing MUCH more in America, but it's not a good comparison.

Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong and China are all doing extensive testing, and tracing back every positive person, their moving around, then contacting every person they have been near for quarantine procedures and protection of the rest of their population.

I think that is smart and important actions if you want to contain this virus, or any other diseases. To claim some of these countries might have a different political system vs your own preferences is a total side track at a time when thousands of people are infected and now dead, also in USA, UK, Europe and so on.
No, it's not about preferences, it's about governments getting their citizens to behave in a certain way.

It's very safe to say that citizens in Singapore are probably more used to following government edicts than in America. We all love our freedom here, but there's also a massive conspiratorial community here that thinks any government action is a sign of some coming martial law crackdown. People are being willfully stupid here just to show they're not following the herd.

The extreme steps taken in China couldn't be done in America without a full-blown crisis.

I think it may have to do with population size too, easier to get 6M people in Singapore to comply than 300M in the U.S.

China's a whole other matter...

Well this is just a test. We will take a hit, it will be bad, but most of us will survive. One day something as fatal as Ebola might start moving around, then we all need to do like Singapore. Not later but right away.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:50

daspyknows
bv

The reporter actually tossed the reporter a softball question. People are scared, what would you tell them. It was really a bad look. The person to listen to for facts is actually NY Governor Cuomo. Things are pretty bad in NY but he is providing leadership. The biggest issue is lack of personal protective gear for health care workers and lack of ventilators. That is making the situation dire.
Unfortunately, nothing shocks me about this very sick and sad excuse for a human being anymore. The best thing that could happen for all of us is for someone to cough in his face. Pence may be a hack, but he understands how to behave like a statesman.

Cuomo is doing an admirable job with his daily briefings, but NYC is unfortunately in the process of being overrun right now.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 21, 2020 18:52

daspyknows
Happy24
I found an extremely interesting article about flu epidemics in Italy in the past few years:

[www.sciencedirect.com]

The article is from November 2019

It says: "Italy showed a higher influenza attributable excess mortality compared to other European countries. especially in the elderly."

It says that 68.000 people died in Italy because of flu between 2013-2017. 25.000 people died because of flu in Italy just in the season 2016-17.

Isn't the current situation pretty much what happens annualy in this part of the World?

I mean in our country we have 900 cases and 0 deaths. One starts to think, that it might be because of different level of health care. But that makes no sense. If we were to follow Italy, which our politicians keep on repeating, we would have to have 80 people dead. That amount of people is not even hospitalized. They are at home and they get no medical treatment whatsoever. There are 7 serious cases and the level of medical care will take part in whether they survive or not. But it has pretty much zero impact on the rest of the cases.

So...?

Come talk to us in 6 weeks with the deaths accelerating and let us know what you think.

Of course I have no idea what will be in 6 weeks. Nobody does. In the past two weeks I got to learn that I have no idea what will be tomorrow. All I wanted to do was to post a scientific article with annual flu statistics in Italy, which I think is not generally known and looking at the current numbers in Italy, it shows similarities. I just posted that article. I am sorry I did. It obviously infuriates the majority. I have learned my lesson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-21 18:54 by Happy24.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:09

Side by side comparison of neighboring states Kentucky & Tennessee and the differences between the State Governments response.

Date: March 21, 2020 19:09

Italian report today about how the coronavirus is reacting on warm weather:

Coronavirus, il Covid-19 non tiene conto delle temperature esterne by la Repubblica
English : Coronavirus, Covid-19 does not account for outside temperatures

Climate study by several Italian universities: "No relationship between the development of contagion and degrees Celsius in the environment, it is unlikely that the virus will be swept by the arrival of the heat". The tests carried out in Wuhan China, and in Lombardy and Veneto Italy.

Bjornulf

Date: March 21, 2020 19:13

bv
Italian report today about how the coronavirus is reacting on warm weather:

Coronavirus, il Covid-19 non tiene conto delle temperature esterne by la Repubblica
English : Coronavirus, Covid-19 does not account for outside temperatures

Climate study by several Italian universities: "No relationship between the development of contagion and degrees Celsius in the environment, it is unlikely that the virus will be swept by the arrival of the heat". The tests carried out in Wuhan China, and in Lombardy and Veneto Italy.

That's too bad.

Date: March 21, 2020 19:16

daspyknows
bv

Yeah, he's very presidential-sounding,for whatever you think of his politics. Gives you a lot of confidence in the situation being handled.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:17

793 dead in Italy today.

Nate

Date: March 21, 2020 19:22

Seemingly the Corona COVID-19 virus can survive outside the body.

[www.livescience.com]

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:38

Roma - photo: Allesandra Tarantino/AP/dpa

Date: March 21, 2020 19:45

Nate
793 dead in Italy today.

Nate

That is a bad and sad number, up 20% from the accumulated number yesterday, unfortunately.

One good news item still from Italy today, I just heard the number of people declared free of the virus after being positive tested, is now increasing.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:48

I agree that Andrew Cuomo, whom I have never been a fan of, has stepped up admirably. Regarding Trump's response to the reporter, Trump isn't eloquent to say the least, BUT part of the reason for the daily briefings, in which he has members of his team speak and answer question, and in which he himself fields a plethora of questions, is to keep the public informed and reassure them that work is being done to stop the spread. Trump had spoken of the new anti-malarial drugs that were being tested and said that he was remaining optimistic and had a "good feeling" about them. The reporter then asked Trump if he wasn't giving the American people "false hope" over something that might not work. This is typical of most of the press who remain antagonistic to Trump, as usual. That is when Trump responded with the "terrible reporter" response. Trump was attempting to be reassuring and the reporter tried to belittle what he had said. Context is everything.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-21 19:57 by Rokyfan.

Date: March 21, 2020 19:55

TheflyingDutchman
Seemingly the Corona COVID-19 virus can survive outside the body.

[www.livescience.com]

I have seen these numbers in other reports. Six hours or so on paper and cardboard, three days or so on plastic and steel.

I keep anything I am getting into my house in "quarantine" for a week, just to make sure that mail, packages, dry food packages etc are not having any virus anymore. And the warmer it is in that room, the better.

A furniture manufacturer in Norway have the procedure of stocking all items from China and Italy for 10 days before they go into production.

From the above link:

But how long can the new coronavirus linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the virus can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 72 hours. This study was originally published in the preprint database medRxiv on March 11, and now a revised version was published March 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 21, 2020 19:56

NJ Governor Murphy orders lockdown

[www.nj.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2020 20:03

Whilst people are reporting the problem of stocks at Supermarkets little attention in the media to the potential problem of food supplies in the medium term. Singapore, for example imports 93% of its requirements. Others maybe less high, but with travel restrictions how will supplies be delivered?
Quite naturally the focus is on the medical front of course. Just a thought though.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 21, 2020 20:03

bleedingman
I agree that Andrew Cuomo, whom I have never been a fan of, has stepped up admirably. Regarding Trump's response to the reporter, Trump isn't eloquent to say the least, BUT part of the reason for the daily briefings, in which he has members of his team speak and answer question, and in which he himself fields a plethora of questions, is to keep the public informed and reassure them that work is being done to stop the spread. Trump had spoken of the new anti-malarial drugs that were being tested and said that he was remaining optimistic and had a "good feeling" about them. The reporter then asked Trump if he wasn't giving the American people "false hope" over something that might not work. This is typical of most of the press who remain antagonistic to Trump, as usual. That is when Trump responded with the "terrible reporter" response. Trump was attempting to be reassuring and the reporter tried to belittle what he had said. Context is everything.

So is leadership and maturity. Reporters have always challenged presidents, go back and look at briefings from past administrations. If Trump can't handle a reporter doing his job, then he should leave the daily briefings to the experts.
The last thing the public needs right now is misinformation and demonizing the press. I worked in newsrooms for almost 2 decades, many of my old collegues are out in the field everyday right now risking their own health to make sure that the public is informed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 21, 2020 20:35

Interesting to see the "No Politics" rule being softened here on IORR, but at the same time shows why the rule was there in the first place.
And I say this as someone who is not a fan of Trump by any means....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 21, 2020 20:45

Hairball
Interesting to see the "No Politics" rule being softened here on IORR, but at the same time shows why the rule was there in the first place.

Yeah.. in some cases politics is clearly an integrate part of discussing the virus and the response.

I will say, Bjornulf has done a good job of coming in after and deleting over the top or offensive posts in that regard though (one of my responses included).
Trying not to make any political comments at all on this, but staying focused on the actual data and what different governments are doing/not doing,
including state by state, country by country and even county by county.

Date: March 21, 2020 20:57

Hairball

Ditto - not difficult to see the repeat offenders. Not sure why BV continues to tolerate it.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Date: March 21, 2020 21:13

jlowe
Whilst people are reporting the problem of stocks at Supermarkets little attention in the media to the potential problem of food supplies in the medium term. Singapore, for example imports 93% of its requirements. Others maybe less high, but with travel restrictions how will supplies be delivered?
Quite naturally the focus is on the medical front of course. Just a thought though.

Food and stock items travel without restrictions, it is people not being residents that are closed out at the borders.

When Norway went into lockdown 8 days ago everybody went berserk, sold out toilet paper, canned fishballs etc. Then the shops said they have stocks for 50 days. Then people stopped over-shopping, but toilet paper is still very popular, and almost sold out.

Bjornulf

Date: March 21, 2020 21:17

Hairball

Dirty Harry does not work at all hours, but sure between breaks there is action. There is not much room for political campaigns here. Everybody do know this.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home