Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: March 20, 2020 20:29

bv
It takes approx four - 4 - weeks from lockdown until the number of deaths change, if the lockdown is late, like in Italy.

First lockdown. If the lockdown is 100% like in China, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, then all new tested cases will go to zero within 14 days, or some more time if the area is as large as they were in China, and also for North Italy, a large area.

Then all people who got the virus up to the point of the lockdown, will be sick and in intensive care during the next few weeks.

This is why it does not make sense to look into day-by-day numbers, unless you know all data, all dates, and you are skilled in statistics.

The weekly statistics will be the most accurate way of monitoring how a lockdown is working. I will update my own weekly statistics every Monday, like I did earlier this week.

There is no quick fix for this virus. People who say so are presenting lies, or they do not understand. We will not see any good numbers from Italy, France, Spain, UK, USA until April. The curve will flatten some four weeks after the complete lockdown is in place, if everyone do respect the lockdown.

Yes, and the other advantage of reviewing data weekly is that it cuts down on daily anxiety. We won't see daily shifts in numbers that signal change anyway.

And once again, I owe BV a few beers for bringing sanity to daily life. smileys with beer

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 20, 2020 20:32

liddas
keefriff99

I just don't understand what's going on in Italy...haven't they been locked down for a couple of weeks now? How could it still be spreading like this?

Because what you are reading is an aggregate figure.

The epidemy first started in the north of Italy and is now spreading to the rest of the peninsula.

Things will get worse, because thousands of southern Italians who worked / studied in the north, returned to their hometowns in the south when the lockdown decree was announced.

C
Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense...I guess I'm just looking for any signs of positive developments.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 20, 2020 20:39

UK are closing the pubs, restaurants etc. I see the same shopping queues we had eight days ago in Norway, when we had our shutdown, so it is good to see that UK finally take action.

Then I see this in the BBC news, so I just wonder if it is really a lockdown:

All the UK's nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been told to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

UK pubs and restaurants told to shut in virus fight (BBC News)

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2020 20:57

bv
The coronavirus numbers from Italy seems to be abbounced at 6pm every day. Yesterday I was an optimist, but as some commented, we do of course need a lot more sample points in order to see a trend going down.

The number of deaths from Italy today is +627, and the total is 4,032 deaths from the virus. The numbers are more and more scary the larger they are, because after all there are human beings and so many tragedies and family losses behind every single death.

Statistically the day-to-day growth is +18%. This number is the one that should go down, and it has been as high as 24% and 26% during the past seven days, see below, but we really really hope to see the curve flattening, and then going down.

Italy coronavirus deaths

Fri 20-mar = 4032 => +18% (+627)
Thu 19-mar = 3405 => +14% (+427)
Wed 18-mar = 2978 => +19% (+475)
Tue 17-mar = 2503 => +16% (+345)
Mon 16-mar = 2158 => +19% (+349)
Sun 15-mar = 1809 => +26% (+368)
Sat 14-mar = 1441 => +14% (+175)
Fri 13-mar = 1266 => +24% (+250)
Thu 12-mar = 1016

Corona virus statistics by Worldometers.com - WORLD / COUNTRIES / ITALY

another disturbing statistic that just keeps getting worse from this site, is the overall death rate, in terms of cases with outcomes.

Just from the website for the last 2 weeks, you've gone from an overall death rate of 6% of outcomes, to 11%. Horrific. Particularly if you consider that the Chinese rate of death amongst outcomes is only 4% and a bit (and that's really bad, worse than what WHO has stated at 3.4%). So the news for the ROW would be even worse, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I hope the numbers get better as more cases get resolved, but the trend itself is terrible.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 20, 2020 21:16

bv
UK are closing the pubs, restaurants etc. I see the same shopping queues we had eight days ago in Norway, when we had our shutdown, so it is good to see that UK finally take action.

All the UK's nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been told to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

"as soon as they reasonably can" means as much as "without obligation" ...
It's like walking around with a a solid bucket and one with holes in the bottom at the same time. You can't leave decisions in the hands of people who don't know what's really going on. Amazing!

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 20, 2020 21:17

Science The hope for antiviral medication against Covid-19 is increasing rapidly. On Tuesday, a French researcher reported encouraging results about a known and cheap malaria drug. “We are excited. But this is not to say that social measures can be loosened again, ”Belgian experts emphasize.

Science is frantically trying to overtake super sprinter SARS-CoV-2. We still have to wait a year and a half for a vaccine that protects us. But there is now increasing evidence that there is antiviral medication. In recent weeks, dozens of studies have been started, particularly in China and Italy, with known ingredients and medication for AIDS and Ebola, among others.
This is what happens in the nerve center of the corona battle: "A day sometimes lasts up to three hours at night"
Test results look better every day. “I expect soon, possibly next week, publications in a professional magazine. From then on, we could really start administering medication to the sick, ”says professor of epidemiology Anne-Mieke Vandamme (KU Leuven).

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 20, 2020 21:37

I read scary scary news about Italy today. They don't really have a lockdown, according to the Chinese Red Cross vice president.

The Chinese Red Cross vice president, Sun Shuopeng, urged tougher measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

"The situation "is similar to what we experienced two months ago in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of Covid-19," he said Thursday at a news conference in Milan, Italy.

"In the city of Wuhan after one month since the adoption of the lockdown policy, we see a decreasing trend from the peak of the disease," Sun Shuopeng said. "Here in Milan, the hardest-hit area by Covid-19, there isn't a very strict lockdown: public transportation is still working and people are still moving around, you're still having dinners and parties in the hotels and you're not wearing masks."

"I don't know what everyone is thinking."

He advised Italians to stop all "economic activities and cut the mobility of people," calling on everyone to just stay at home. "We need every citizen to be involved in the fight of Covid-19 and follow this policy."

Italy calls in military to enforce coronavirus lockdown as 627 people die in 24 hours - 'I don't know what everyone is thinking' (CNN)

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:11

The statistics and news about Italy are frightening.

Some experts here in the US, have been saying we are on the same curve, only ten days or so behind them. Hopefully we are changing that trajectory,
but tough to say until we start mass testing etc.

Registered our first death in my community yesterday.
A guy exactly my age (gulp).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:17

A "Health Weather Map" using data from smart thermometers shows an "unusually higher rate" of "atypical illnesses" along the U.S. East Coast.
Florida looks particularly hard hit. Won't know until more testing is available, but concerning for sure.

[www.androidcentral.com]

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:17

I was called last night at 2200 by our company nurse...

I was in close proximity to a co-worker on Monday, 3-16, who is presumptive positive...

I am off work, with full pay, until 4-3. Asked to self-monitor for symptoms and take my temperature twice daily.

This now hits home, folks!

Everyone take care of yourselves and each other!

Date: March 20, 2020 22:25

TKinOH

I was in close proximity to a co-worker on Monday, 3-16, who is presumptive positive...

I am off work, with full pay, until 4-3. Asked to self-monitor for symptoms and take my temperature twice daily.

Where do you live

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:32

liddas
bv
Singapore is the proof of the pudding.

If you take immediate action, test, test, test, investigate, contain every case, and do take the coronavirus completely seriously from day one, it will go away.

Total cases coronavirus positives = 345
Total deaths from coronavirus = 0
Population of Singapore = 5.6 million

Forbes:

Coronavirus Containment—What We Can Learn From Relative Calm In Singapore And Hong Kong

Widespread testing also took fold in Singapore which was quick to ensure that the city knew who was infected and forced isolation to prevent the virus spread.

Although there are still current restrictions in Hong Kong and Singapore, neither place has had to implement a forced lockdown, and life has largely continued in a sensibly cautious way.

Recovery numbers in Hong Kong and Singapore are on par or even outstripping new daily cases of COVID-19 now. Although it is too early to claim the spread of the virus has been defeated here, it has certainly been contained.

Many in Europe and the U.S. can look to the positivity in Hong Kong and Singapore. The difference, however, was the quick, early and sensible measures taken in these Asian cities right at the start, to ensure that wider lockdowns were not imposed.

Currently, for everyone around the world, the more positive outlook in Hong Kong and Singapore represent paramount hope moving forward.

We will soon see what happens here in Italy.

Two days and it will be 2 full weeks of lockdown.

Despite what you read on the newspapers / see on TV, people have complied with the restrictions: streets in Milan ARE empty

Of course, even the we adopted the most strict measures and we were the most disciplined people of the world, a total isolation is impossible: large families who live in small apartments is huge buildings are the norm here.

C

Well the US is doomed! We are not testing and there are no medical supplies for the doctors and nurses!!!!

Date: March 20, 2020 22:36

Singapore is basically a police state with fancy malls. They have a compliant citizenry, which isn't possible in a country like America.

I'm not saying that we couldn't be doing MUCH more in America, but it's not a good comparison.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:43

jumpontopofmebaby
TKinOH

Where do you live

I'm in west central Ohio, just north of Dayton...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:50

I expect states will be mobilizing the National Guard to assist in managing curfews and administering humanitarian aid within a week.

Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 20, 2020 22:59

treaclefingers
virgil
The experts have said people can have the virus and show no symptoms. So does this mean some of these people could test negative and still actually have the virus?

No, if you have the virus you generally test positive. Mayor of Miami is on CNN right now saying he tested positive...he showed no symptoms but had himself tested because he was in proximity with someone that was.

NewsHub New Zealand, has a story that you can actually have the Virus and test negative with a list of reasons why this could happen.

Date: March 20, 2020 23:01

TKinOH
jumpontopofmebaby
TKinOH

Ok...good luck.

I live in Southwest MO but work in a small town in SE Kansas ...very small town...they had their first case here yesterday. Preacher at a small church so hitting home and getting real here also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-20 23:02 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 20, 2020 23:19

bv

What he actually said was that they should "close tonight, as soon as they reasonably can, and not open tomorrow."

His hand has been forced. He wanted people to stop going to them of their own accord, without a ban. Yesterday when he was asked about pub and restaurant closures, he gave a ridiculous reply, basically saying that they would remain open as long as people didn't frequent them!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 20, 2020 23:43

bv
I read scary scary news about Italy today. They don't really have a lockdown, according to the Chinese Red Cross vice president.

The Chinese Red Cross vice president, Sun Shuopeng, urged tougher measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

"The situation "is similar to what we experienced two months ago in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of Covid-19," he said Thursday at a news conference in Milan, Italy.

"In the city of Wuhan after one month since the adoption of the lockdown policy, we see a decreasing trend from the peak of the disease," Sun Shuopeng said. "Here in Milan, the hardest-hit area by Covid-19, there isn't a very strict lockdown: public transportation is still working and people are still moving around, you're still having dinners and parties in the hotels and you're not wearing masks."

He advised Italians to stop all "economic activities and cut the mobility of people," calling on everyone to just stay at home. "We need every citizen to be involved in the fight of Covid-19 and follow this policy."

Italy calls in military to enforce coronavirus lockdown as 627 people die in 24 hours - 'I don't know what everyone is thinking' (CNN)

Italy is a completely different situation.

We simply cannot stop all economic activities. As large as the red area was in China, there still was a huge part of the country that could supply what was needed.

Almost all the industries in Italy are located in the North. Most of them are already closed. Those which are operational, have to continue being so. There is no back up.

And the fact that we have soldiers helping enforcing the lockdown is quite normal, since they are already present in the streets of all major Italian towns to protect sensible sites from possible terrorist attacks.

Once again, I am convinced that Italy is doing all that can possibly be done in a democratic country to implement the lock down.

C

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 20, 2020 23:57

liddas
bv

We simply cannot stop all economic activities. As large as the red area was in China, there still was a huge part of the country that could supply what was needed.

Almost all the industries in Italy are located in the North. Most of them are already closed. Those which are operational, have to continue being so. There is no back up.

And the fact that we have soldiers helping enforcing the lockdown is quite normal, since they are already present in the streets of all major Italian towns to protect sensible sites from possible terrorist attacks.

Once again, I am convinced that Italy is doing all that can possibly be done in a democratic country to implement the lock down.

C

Italy deserves deepest respect. My prayers go to those who died in isolation, and to their families.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 20, 2020 23:59

Don’t forget that Italians are very tactile along with the Spanish this is probably one of the reasons why it began to spread heavily in both countries.

Nate

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 21, 2020 00:46

liddas
bv

C

That is a very good point. Here in the U.K., the most affected area is London, our capital city and the centre of most things. Sure we have other cities, but they are so much smaller and with much less economic output.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 21, 2020 00:56

Now's the best time to sit back and enjoy your music, video, book collections...whatever. Or like me, some time in the yard with the honey-doo list. If you have family around, they won't be around forever, keep them close and tell them you love them. Make positives of all the negatives. As long as we're alive, it's a good day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-21 00:59 by shadooby.

Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:00

virgil
treaclefingers
virgil
The experts have said people can have the virus and show no symptoms. So does this mean some of these people could test negative and still actually have the virus?

No, if you have the virus you generally test positive. Mayor of Miami is on CNN right now saying he tested positive...he showed no symptoms but had himself tested because he was in proximity with someone that was.

NewsHub New Zealand, has a story that you can actually have the Virus and test negative with a list of reasons why this could happen.

wow...I've heard of false positives before, but not false negatives

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:10

Here in Seattle, many (not all) restaurants are providing take out food. The city has created temporary no parking zones in front of the establishments where your order is delivered curbside. Seems to be working fairly well. Also, some of the more enlightened grocery stores have created times (usually an hour before official opening) where senior citizens & at risk people can shop without having to be in contact with the general population. Again, seems to be working fairly well. If I need to go to grocery store or pharmacy/chemist I wear a mask & gloves. Am keeping that to a minimum & those are the only times I'm going out. This is with doctor approval of the plan. Things may change when I get my test results early next week. We'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:27

It's not pleasant to think about the levels of psychological stress out there. It will surely be causing a lot of suffering for a lot of people. In most of North America we are not used to that happening on a mass scale. I think the next time I go shopping for food I will wear my mask, gloves, and protective goggles.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:39

bv
been told to close "as soon as they reasonably can".

(BBC News)

lol, that is so British.

Date: March 21, 2020 02:05

ryanpow
bv

(BBC News)

lol, that is so British.
Cheerio and all that rot.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 21, 2020 02:28

keefriff99
ryanpow
bv

(BBC News)

lol, that is so British.
Cheerio and all that rot.

What's all this fuss about then?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 21, 2020 02:38

So far only China, a few neighboring Asian countries, Western Europe and US have gotten attention. One this takes off in Africa it will make ebola look like a diaper rash. Don't forget the Syrian refugee camps, Venezuela, 3rd World mega cities like Manila, Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, Dhaka and Lagos. This is going to get really bad really fast.

[www.nbcnews.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home