Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 18, 2020 21:12

Back to work today, the work I do is related to the construction industry, which is considered essential. I'm in a small office and we're maintaining the 6 ft. distance rule. We don't have remote capabilities, (at least not yet). I feel lucky to be able to still do my job.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 21:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 18, 2020 21:21

SomeTorontoGirl
EddieByword
Well, so long as it wasn't the lead singer, I can live with that.............>grinning smiley<

Eddie, you’re gonna get us both lynched! winking smiley

Good grief, if we’re getting punchy after just a few days in lockdown, wonder what kind of shape we’re going to be in as the weeks pass. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Ahhh, you are funny Toronto......smileys with beer .....

I've found Tai Chi has helped staying in the moment and not getting too stir crazy

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: March 18, 2020 21:29

Back on page 48 of this thread, BV listed stats to track to understand what's going on. I just discovered a very interesting website that gives some of that info, country by country... I don't know anything about this, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems pretty consistent with the reporting I'm seeing.

[www.worldometers.info]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 18, 2020 21:45

vibrolux
Back on page 48 of this thread, BV listed stats to track to understand what's going on. I just discovered a very interesting website that gives some of that info, country by country... I don't know anything about this, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but it seems pretty consistent with the reporting I'm seeing.

[www.worldometers.info]

Yes, this seems to be a very good website. I assume the figures have been validated and are reliable, with the usual caveats.
The figures in the far right column are interesting in that they show a very wide range, even across countries in the same continent (Euurope).
A lot of attention has been placed on Italy, quite naturally, but not mentioned anywhere in the UK media is the position in Switzerland which has a very high incidence rate.
Ironically the two countries which have come in for perhaps the most criticism re policy are the US and UK.. From a purely statistical perspective they are doing "better" than other countries. Again, no doubt many caveats....the picture isnt quite so straightforward.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:01

jlowe
vibrolux

[www.worldometers.info]

Yes, this seems to be a very good website. I assume the figures have been validated and are reliable, with the usual caveats.
The figures in the far right column are interesting in that they show a very wide range, even across countries in the same continent (Euurope).
A lot of attention has been placed on Italy, quite naturally, but not mentioned anywhere in the UK media is the position in Switzerland which has a very high incidence rate.
Ironically the two countries which have come in for perhaps the most criticism re policy are the US and UK.. From a purely statistical perspective they are doing "better" than other countries. Again, no doubt many caveats....the picture isnt quite so straightforward.

I’ve been using the Worldometer website for a week or 2. It’s very useful.

As for the US & U.K. statistics, you are right, many caveats. The very biggest caveat is the number of COVID 19 tests performed. It’s low in the U.K. - about 60,000 and absolutely pitifully low in the US.

In fact that Worldometer website, good as it is, could do with an extra column for No of Tests performed.

I am very sceptical about the figures for China, Iran and Russia. China appears to have a recovery rate of around 85%, way off the scale compared with everyone else.

There is widespread belief that Iran and Russia’s figures are hugely understated, with satellite photos appearing to show mass graves being dug in Iran.

These are tough old times in the Western World and quite possibly the biggest crisis since World War 2 and we came through that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 22:26 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:08

Yes agreed, this maybe the biggest crisis since WW2.
I have always thought the Vietnam War was the biggest crisis. In terms of casualties....3 million plus. Dreadful. Could have been avoided? Maybe.
But this crisis is or will go worldwide. Somehow, for many people in the UK, Vietnam seemed very a distant problem.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:27

This is world war three it’s just an invisible enemy.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:29

jlowe
I have always thought the Vietnam War was the biggest crisis. In terms of casualties....3 million plus. Dreadful. Could have been avoided? Maybe.
But this crisis is or will go worldwide. Somehow, for many people in the UK, Vietnam seemed very a distant problem.

Before my time but well worthy of mention. Depending on how this crisis plays out, Vietnam might take that unwanted title.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:36

grzegorz67
jlowe
vibrolux

[www.worldometers.info]

I’ve been using the Worldometer website for a week or 2. It’s very useful.

As for the US & U.K. statistics, you are right, many caveats. The very biggest caveat is the number of COVID 19 tests performed. It’s low in the U.K. - about 60,000 and absolutely pitifully low in the US.

In fact that Worldometer website, good as it is, could do with an extra column for No of Tests performed.

I am very sceptical about the figures for China, Iran and Russia. China appears to have a recovery rate of around 85%, way off the scale compared with everyone else.

There is widespread belief that Iran and Russia’s figures are hugely understated, with satellite photos appearing to show mass graves being dug in Iran.

These are tough old times in the Western World and quite possibly the biggest crisis since World War 2 and we came through that.

I think there are quite a lot of potential cases that are never tested in the UK. Unless your symptoms are bad enough to land you in hospital, you won't be tested and won't be officially a Covid case, even if all the symptoms match.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:37

ryanpow
Back to work today, the work I do is related to the construction industry, which is considered essential. I'm in a small office and we're maintaining the 6 ft. distance rule. We don't have remote capabilities, (at least not yet). I feel lucky to be able to still do my job.

same here.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:56

test was unpleasant. done on the street with doctor in full surgical gown. should have results Monday or Tuesday.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 22:57

We live in the UK and my wife was sent home fron work today as she suffered angina over 15 years ago and was considered a heath risk worging in an office of25..
Today she received a p.m. phone call from her boss who stated that she is now to work from home and a company loaded computer will be delivered 1st thing Thursday to start up.
This appears to be backed by the Government and her employer.
I am 71 years of age with no pr-existing health conditions but fall in to the age category of becoming a person that can pass the virus on without showing or suffering any ill effects..
We have both been instructed if either of us develops a sore throat or cold then we have to stay alone in the house for the next ten days with no mixing with people who come to the door who might offer help in bringing us food to the front door.
Once the ten days are up then we will be declared as having passed the COVID incubation period and slowly allowed back in to society.
As I am stll a big Stones fan this should give me plenty time to play my Stones record collection from start to finish to help pass the monotenous.
Unfortunately my wife likes easy listened music and as she will be working I will have to take my place in priority which is no2.
We are all hoping that our world wide scientists find the formula that will finally beat this invisible enemy in to submission.
Britain is trying to create a 3 week slow down of Covid- 19 that invisible enemy that we are at war with
and are losing out for thr time being.
Good news for me is that I could slip out in to the garage and play the Stones on my cars 6 speaker system.

Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 18, 2020 23:12

CaptainCorella
jlowe
CaptainCorella
stones40

I live in the U.K. and most people think that it will be over in next 2/3 weeks.
That is absolute tripe as it has just killed another 14 people in the in the UK in the last 2 days.( total 71 )
It is due to start peaking in next 10/14 days and Government are saying that worse case scenario is 250.000 people being killed by this horrible virus in the UK..
The U.K. government has been saying and instigating by their actions and implemented plans which they cant guarantee will work
The UK streets are almost empty at present but come Friday/Saturday that is the ripe time for all the young guys and girls to get their Rocks Off.
For the UK not to instigate a total shutdown at the airports and docks smarts of either
not really knowing what they are doing or looking after their rich friends.

As you say, total tripe.

If you look at this BBC web page [www.bbc.com] and read it, and then if you want follow the link there to the original published scientific paper out of Imperial College London, you'll see that Boris' original policy was predicted to result in 250,000 deaths.

Which supports the statement in your final sentence.

I saw that (full) paper yesterday morning (I have a mate at IC) and I was absolutely horrified. I fail to understand why that 250,000 number - clearly on the BBC site with validation - has barely raised a stir.

Maybe because on the same day the Chief Scientific Officer in the UK was saying that '20,000 deaths would be a good outcome.'
So people and the media are very confused about what appears to be conflicting evidence and speculation. Rather like the economic predictions post Brexit.
So, people get sceptical and interpret as they think fit.
It doesnt seem down to the difference between do nothing strategies (which no country is following, I think) and a full scale shut down either.
Eventually we might be able to assess which strategy worked best (with various caveats applied). Also whose predictions were the most accurate.
Lessons for the next pandemic, perhaps?

The Imperial Paper (link in the BBC article) only mentions something like "thousands or tens of thousands" in the alternative (Supression) approach. Cold bloodedly that's a good outcome (yikes!) - but to me Boris is getting away with initially adopting a negligent policy. Like forgiving someone because in place of beating their partner with a spiked plank, they beat them with a soft leather belt. Makes no sense.

He has the credibility of Chamberlain in 1939 to 1940. He's had his "Peace in Our Time" delusional moment and he needs to be called out for the inadequate Churchill wannabe that he has turned out to be.

The UK needs a leader who understands Science, not one who brags (as he did) that he never studied sciences or maths because he spent all of his time studying Latin and Greek. That must have made (eg) the Imperial College paper easy for him to understand. Not!

Someone has reported that Mexico is doing nothing and even that the Catholic Church has organised large Masses. Handily close to the USA border of course! (A confirmation (pun not intended) of that would be good. A confirmation of the event & policy, not the report which I know several here would have seen.)

I'm going to WITHDRAW much of the above.

I've now found out that Boris was actually initially making policy based on early outcomes of preliminary use of the Imperial College modelling.

He acted in good faith, making evidence based policy.

The modelling was improved, the evidence changed (dramatically!), and so he's changed his policy accordingly.

And that's what is the RIGHT thing to do.

So, in this context I was wrong and withdraw.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: March 19, 2020 00:25

windmelody
Sici
I live in a small town near Turin, in the Susa Valley, 40 km from France.
The situation after 10 days at home is getting worse.
An ordinance from the mayor of today prohibits entering the parks, areas equipped for children, areas for dogs. The authorities also plan to close the food markets on alternate days to stop the infection.
They tell us that the contagion curve will only begin to change after 1 month of total closure at home

Good luck to you and the people around you!

Thanks Friend, no panic for my people, situation in under control

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 00:28

crholmstrom
After over 2 weeks of trying to do so, I'm finally getting tested this afternoon. I had to diplomatically put the hammer down. I pointed out that it would seem to be logical to test people who are at risk even if they don't quite have all of the symptoms, just some. It will take up to a week for results. The testing situation here in Seattle is still pretty dire.

....unless you are rich and/or famous, of course....no symptoms? no problem.

[www.newsweek.com]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 19, 2020 01:48

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 19, 2020 02:44

grzegorz67
jlowe

Before my time but well worthy of mention. Depending on how this crisis plays out, Vietnam might take that unwanted title.

Not even close, it was the Korean War. Your accurate with with the 3.3 million (2 million civilians)that’s Vietnam’s official estimate released 1995.The war is considered to have lasted 20 years 1955-1975.

Korea in contrast lasted about three years , 5 million people died more than half about ten percent of Korea’s prewar population were civilians. The rate of civilian casualties was higher than WWII’s and the Vietnam wars.
What are the percentages?

5 million dead 3 years
3.3 million dead 20 years

Disgusting.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: March 19, 2020 03:02

I have a question:

Which, if any, major countries, or any countries for that matter, are uninfected, or unaffected by COViD-19?

Are there any places where life is going on totally 100% as normal?

Thanks.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: March 19, 2020 03:10

Mr Jimmy
I have a question:

Which, if any, major countries, or any countries for that matter, are uninfected, or unaffected by COViD-19?

Thanks.

There you go, it looks like a few places in Africa, a couple in Asia and East Timor and Venezuela ... [www.cdc.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 03:11 by EddieByword.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 19, 2020 03:12

With different national governments, states, and cities ordering lock-downs it would be wise to think about having bulk non-perishable foods on hand like rice, canned beans, etc.

Think of a serious lock-down situation where you work at home and are only permitted to shop for food. Well, if say 20% of the population are sick, then that means many will be sick at home because the medical system will not be able to handle them. And that means that sick people will also be going to shop for food.

In that context you are safer to simply not go out and draw from your food stores in order to ride out the worst of the pandemic in the safety of your home.

I almost can't believe that I am posting this.

Date: March 19, 2020 03:17

MileHigh
With different national governments, states, and cities ordering lock-downs it would be wise to think about having bulk non-perishable foods on hand like rice, canned beans, etc.

Think of a serious lock-down situation where you work at home and are only permitted to shop for food. Well, if say 20% of the population are sick, then that means many will be sick at home because the medical system will not be able to handle them. And that means that sick people will also be going to shop for food.

In that context you are safer to simply not go out and draw from your food stores in order to ride out the worst of the pandemic in the safety of your home.

I almost can't believe that I am posting this.

There's none left in the UK..............just kidding but you have to get to the store by midday or the shelves seriously are empty............angry smiley

As of today, supermarkets are opening their doors to the elderly for one hour before everyone else and rationing to 3 items per person..............

Date: March 19, 2020 03:30

Just saw on the news that I think in France they took 40 people infected with the corona virus. Gave them a drug that was used to treat malaria that has been around for like 50 years and each and everyone of them was cured.

Can someone else give better details

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 03:35 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 19, 2020 03:48

jumpontopofmebaby
Just saw on the news that I think in France they took 40 people infected with the corona virus. Gave them a drug that was used to treat malaria that has been around for like 50 years and each and everyone of them was cured.

Can someone else give better details

Detailed reports on Australian TV about combining a malaria drug and an anti HIV drug doing similar. Prof (in white lab coat ina lab) seeking funding to do big trial.

VERY GOOD though this news may be, it's a treatment and not a prevention.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 19, 2020 04:03

Mr Jimmy
I have a question:

Thanks.

I think Antarctica is all good.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 19, 2020 05:14

Mr Jimmy
I have a question:

Thanks.

Go here: [www.pharmaceutical-technology.com]
Right after the entry for Angola there is a "list of countries that have not reported any suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus". How life is going on there is a different question.

For those interested: according to that page, the State of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, to which also Mustique belongs, reported "its first case in a fe­male who had trav­elled to the UK".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 05:21 by doitywoik.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 19, 2020 05:45

Younger Adults Comprise Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.
Younger Adults Comprise Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.
New C.D.C. data showed that nearly 40 percent of patients sick enough to be hospitalized were aged 20 to 54. But the risk of dying was significantly higher in older people.

“I think everyone should be paying attention to this,” said Stephen S. Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.
“It’s not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy.”
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 19, 2020 10:52

CaptainCorella

Australian TV about combining a malaria drug and an anti HIV drug

I have got a weird feeling about this.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 19, 2020 10:53

schwonek
CaptainCorella

Australian TV about combining a malaria drug and an anti HIV drug

I have got a weird feeling about this.

how so?

Date: March 19, 2020 11:09

I'm in the high risk-group. I barely go out and I work from home these days.

As I'm sure is the case with many of you, it's driving me up the wall.

Today I have to go to the hospital to do blood tests. Many have been infected at that very hospital. In fact, they had to shut down a department because many doctors and health workers got the virus.

Wish me luck smiling smiley

Stay safe everyone!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 19, 2020 11:13

Today I have to go to the hospital to do blood tests. Many have been infected at that very hospital. In fact, they had to shut down a department because many doctors and health workers got the virus.

Wow -please be careful- wear every protective apparatus available!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758...LastNext
Current Page: 53 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home