Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 17, 2020 15:36

Chris Fountain
Hopefully, a scorching heat wave may damage the virus. Some Medical Professionals are suggesting this scenario. Again, only suggesting.

A worldwide heath wave lasting for two weeks would kill a lot more than just the virus.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 17, 2020 15:41

treaclefingers
Nate
Report just now on BBC radio here in the U.K.

Isis have advised all followers to avoid entering Europe for the purpose of attacks for fear of the Coronavirus.

Nate

that almost seems like a joke.

I saw the same report elsewhere.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 17, 2020 15:42

In Western Europe, Considering their wealth and relatively high percentage of regular travellers,The 4 Scandinavian countries plus Switzerland seem to be handling this well. Lots of cases but a relatively small number of deaths. Presumably much more testing than elsewhere, plus all 5 have World Class healthcare.

My friend in Poland says they've been in complete lockdown for days with only small food shops still open. Zero public transport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-17 15:44 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 17, 2020 15:42

(1) FIFA just announced the postponement of EURO 2020 into 2021.
(2) The Summer Olympics in Japan 2020 should be postponed into 2021.
(3) The Rolling Stones could postpone their tour for one year into 2021.

(1) is a fact
(2) makes sense, might happen today
(3) could happen, but is more like wishful thinking

I loved the Stones Tour 2020 plans, I wish they could postpone for a year, but I am not sure if they do want to do it that way.

Bjornulf

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:09

Reports of 50,000 masks having been stolen by thieves in Germany, intended for a hospital in Cologne.

How low can you go?

Date: March 17, 2020 16:19

If you want to understand the seriousness of the coronavirus, for your own country, then try digging out the following numbers related to your own country. Just replace the Norway numbers with your own, then you may understand how serious it is in your country, day by day, week by week, month by month.

NORWAY coronavirus numbers
Date/Time: 17-March-2010:14:00cet
----------------------------------
A: 5.4 million people population
B: 21,647 total tested people
C: 1,308 positive tested persons
D: 68 people in hospital with coronavirus
E: 11 people in emergency intensive care (respirator and full life saving support)
F: 3 deaths from the coronavirus
G: 600 hospital beds with intensive care normal care
H: 1,200 hospital beds with intensive care in crisis

F = deaths from the coronavirus
The most accurate and effective number for understanding the seriousness of the virus. Most countries do have this number exact. It should be sero, and day to day week to week it should move towards zero.

G = hospital beds with intensive care normal care
This is how many intensive care patients your country may handle at the same time. Remember a patient with life threatening respiration problems may stay in respirator for 1-2 weeks or more.

H = hospital beds with intensive care in crisis
This is the max number when all other activity is at halt, and the hospitals do only care about emergency related to the coronavirus. Routine operations are halted, and there is little room for treating accidents related to car crash, biking accidents etc.

E = people in emergency intensive care
This number is all about the "flatten the curv" talks. When this number is getting to (G) and worst case (H), the country is in a complete crisis, and the doctors have to decide on who to save, and who is not getting life saving treatment.

A = people population
This is the population of your country. Whenever you want to know how bad it is in your country, vs others, please do always use this number as a divisor, and the other number as a dividend.

B = total tested people
The head of the World Health Organization yesterday said "Test, Test, Test". The virus is invisible. If you do not test, then you know nothing, or just a little bit. The more tested vs total population, the better. Singapore and South Korea have been flattening the curve following extensive testing.

C = positive tested persons
Except for Singapore and South Korea, most countries do not have the capacity to test every person, or they have leaders who do not understand how important testing is. That is why this number is of low value, because it is highly inaccurate.

D = people in hospital with coronavirus
This is telling a bit about the load on the health system, but it is not an essential number. Still, the ratio E/D in percent may tell how bad it is, the lower the better.

--------

Then what to do with these numbers?

Turn them into a robust KPI - Key Performance Indicator

A KPI is a number used in business and performance management. There is a golden rule related to a KPI. It should not be possible to manipulate a KPI.

I have been working with web analytics. Everything online is invisible, until you measure the page traffic and the performance. How many ad displays, how many advertisement clicks, how many product views, how many orders, how many cancellations, how many real orders, and so on.

Hilton Hotels analytics manager said it very clearly when I was at a conference in San Francisco some years ago. It does not matter how many hotel rooms they have booked based on an ad campaign. Those room bookings may be cancelled. Only rooms actually paid for are true success.

So the KPI for the coronavirus fight should be a number politicians can not manipulate. By calculating the week-by-week relative growth rate, you have a number which is success with the number of zero, it is status quo with the number 1x, and it is total crazy when the number is 5x or 10x.

I would not measure day by day, simply because it takes two weeks from you touch the virus until you are really sick, then it might take another two weeks if the virus is getting life threatening, so the cyclus is may be four - 4 - weeks. In measurement fundamentals there is something called the "sampling theorem". In short, if you wish to measure something, then you need to have a measurement accuracy with at least the double accuracy. If you want to measure a month, you need to measure every two weeks. So sampling every week is highly accurate. Sampling every day is over-sampling, no need to do it, and you may end up with variations which are insignificant.

I will post about measurement accuracy separately soon.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:22

bv

(1) is a fact

I loved the Stones Tour 2020 plans, I wish they could postpone for a year, but I am not sure if they do want to do it that way.
Bjornulf, why do you feel the Stones are so opposed to a tour postponement?

Date: March 17, 2020 16:22

grzegorz67
Reports of 50,000 masks having been stolen by thieves in Germany, intended for a hospital in Cologne.

How low can you go?
Absolutely repulsive.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:24

bv

(1) is a fact

I am living in Tokyo and thinking Olympics should be CANCELLED.
And hope postponement of the Stones tour for 1 year. Definitely I will go to the USA 2021.

Meanwhile Fuji Rock Festival, biggest rock fes in Asia revealed its 1st lineup today. haha.

https://en.fujirockfestival.com/

Since the Stones last show in Japan 2014, I was wishing to see them at Fuji Rock the first time outdoor show in Japan. But it won't happen....

Date: March 17, 2020 16:32

Measurement accuracy:

To explain a bit more detailed about measurement accuracy:

Any measurement is having deviation. If you measure the temperature, like I do in my own home inside temperature right now, I have four - 4 - thermometers (yes, I am a measurement freak) saying:

30.8 C = 87 F
26.9 C = 80 F
26.3 C = 79 F
23.4 C = 76 F

It is 3:30pm in the afternoon, the sun is shining, and these four temperatures are taken inside front, back, close to window, in the room and so on. All numbers are right for their own position, but in short, the right number is 26 C = 79 F.

So all numbers are having a certain level of inaccuracy. A number of 12 may be 10 or 14, so that is why you really need three digit numbers i.e. above 100 in order to do an accuracy on the level of 1%. If you have two digit numbers then the accuracy is 10% i.e. the number 45 might be 45 +/-5.

If you transfer this into the coronavirus numbers, do not worry about day to day numbers, they do have a too fast sampling for a four weeks cyclus, and do not worry about single digit numbers. If the death number goes from 2 to 6 it might be bad and it might be 1x, which is status quo, but if it goes from 23 to 64 it is really 3x and of course bad.

This is why it is much more easy and accurate to work with large numbers, unfortunately. It is much harder for Iceland or Bahamas to follow their numbers, than USA, Spain and France.

Bjornulf

Date: March 17, 2020 16:38

keefriff99
bv

(1) is a fact

You might call an insurance company and tell them you have a band of four people age 75 or so, and you want to insure a tour with the revenue = risk of USD 10 million x 15 = USD 1,500 million, lasting for three months, starting twelve months from now, next summer. Ask them what their premium will be.

Of course The Rolling Stones might say they want to tour next year, without any commitments, and with no insurance, but then they would have to refund all tickets now.

Bjornulf

Date: March 17, 2020 16:40

bv
keefriff99
bv

(1) is a fact

You might call an insurance company and tell them you have a band of four people age 75 or so, and you want to insure a tour with the revenue = risk of USD 10 million x 15 = USD 1,500 million, lasting for three months, starting twelve months from now, next summer. Ask them what their premium will be.

Of course The Rolling Stones might say they want to tour next year, without any commitments, and with no insurance, but then they would have to refund all tickets now.
Makes sense...thank you for the explanation.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:54

Four U of Florida - Gainesville infected .

Another death in Broward County ( Ft Laud) Elderly person Senior Asst Living

Source - Governor DeSantis news conference.

Folks in their twenties or Teens need to be careful not to spread the virus even if they have resistance to withstand any negative consequences.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:55

UK 30 day travel ban (all but essential travel) announced (BBC). Would expect this ridiculous situation of people being told not to go to pubs/restaurants but the establishments not being told to close to be ironed out today or tomorrow too. Most UK cinema chains now closed (Odeon, Vue, etc) voluntarily

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:55

should have mentioned that's UK citizens travelling abroad (anywhere)

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: March 17, 2020 16:59

No one has a crystal ball, this is uncharted waters and hopefully people are taking the social distancing and isolation seriously. This will help slow the spread of the virus and, in turn, save lives. The cancellation of the Rolling Stones tour is a minimal inconvenience in the larger scheme of things. A blip on the larger scheme of life.

Is it the end for them? I doubt it. They have defied logic by performing at an extremely high level through their late 70's. They won't let this stop them!

We will come out of this pandemic, we will find a vaccine, and the world will return to normal. This is a set back, not the end, and we will see the Rolling Stones perform again. I can't wait!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:01

TornAndFried
OneHourPhoto
KingmanBarstow
daspyknows
TornAndFried
The fact that the Rolling Stones have chosen to stay silent about the tour and have not made any kind of announcement yet shows how little they actually care about their fans. Even if they are unsure about what they are going to do at this point just say something FFS! They are the trendiest and most UN fan-friendly band on the planet.

Come on man. Don't you have anything else to worry about now. They will cancel it, we all know they will cancel it, they just haven't cancelled it yet. Other artists with tours starting in May haven't cancelled, same with festivals.

I don’t have time to look as you already know so can you name those artists and festivals.
The JazzFest to start in first of May is the most glaring yet to cancel/postpone. Though it is a given that they do and move it to October.

Jazz Fest is such a huge undertaking they need to take a lot of factors into consideration such as availability of hotel rooms, weather, artists schedules, etc. before they can announce a new date. But it's inevitable it will be postponed.

Beale Street Music Festival Has No Plans To Cancel

Date: March 17, 2020 17:03

Hi Bjornulf, I would just like to add my thanks to you for the top quality, reliable information you are providing here.

With regard the Stones tour and the postponement thereof, my thoughts are that we all know how lucky we are they are still on the road and their recent pattern of annual 15 or so date tours seems to work well and keeps them 'tour fit'. I just hope that being forced to leave a gap of another year (perhaps) doesn't prevent them from hitting the stage once again. They certainly would not want their touring career to end on such a downer.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:05

In answer to you wondering if we'd survive 4 more Trump years....the answer is NO, the WORLD won't survive that! Maybe this is a wake-up to all voters moving forward...THINK before you select a leader, the impact on our lives cannot be measured.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:07

yorkshirestone
UK 30 day travel ban (all but essential travel) announced (BBC). Would expect this ridiculous situation of people being told not to go to pubs/restaurants but the establishments not being told to close to be ironed out today or tomorrow too. Most UK cinema chains now closed (Odeon, Vue, etc) voluntarily

Yes it is completely ludicrous.I live in a small town on the outskirts of London and since the latest announcement of measures given by the government yesterday evening local businesses here have been posting on social media stating how they are still open for business as usual and I should add that this is a very affluent area and most of the small business owners here don’t need the income to survive.The social media posts that these businesses here have been putting up are mostly full of comments from people praising them for staying open.
Stupidity has no limits.

Nate

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:33

KingmanBarstow
daspyknows
TornAndFried
OneHourPhoto
KingmanBarstow
daspyknows
TornAndFried
The fact that the Rolling Stones have chosen to stay silent about the tour and have not made any kind of announcement yet shows how little they actually care about their fans. Even if they are unsure about what they are going to do at this point just say something FFS! They are the trendiest and most UN fan-friendly band on the planet.

Come on man. Don't you have anything else to worry about now. They will cancel it, we all know they will cancel it, they just haven't cancelled it yet. Other artists with tours starting in May haven't cancelled, same with festivals.

I don’t have time to look as you already know so can you name those artists and festivals.
The JazzFest to start in first of May is the most glaring yet to cancel/postpone. Though it is a given that they do and move it to October.

Jazz Fest is such a huge undertaking they need to take a lot of factors into consideration such as availability of hotel rooms, weather, artists schedules, etc. before they can announce a new date. But it's inevitable it will be postponed.

Everything through at least May will be cancelled or postponed. No urgency or benefit to cancel May dates yet but in next few weeks they will all happen.

I don’t get what you are saying. Meanwhile there are millions of $ sitting in Ticketmaster bank accounts in advance of a tour cancellation/postponement. No urgency or benefit to cancel? Why not? Ticket buyers are entitled to a refund. There can be no expectation of a reschedule due to the unexpected. This is BS. And I love The Stones but somewhere someone has to call it a day. And cancel this tour.

Is 10 or 15 days going to make that much of a difference? If you are that tight for cash maybe you shouldn't have bought tickets in the first place.

Note TM changed their refund policies so all they need to do is say tour is postponed and tickets will be for new date unless promoter and venues approve.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:39

Things are still a mess in Washington state (see link below). I was supposed to see 1 of my doctors today & was going to get set up for a test. They called yesterday & cancelled my appointment because I have some but not all of virus symptoms. So I asked about a test & was told I still can't get one because there aren't enough kits. I called my other doctor & got the same message & that it didn't sound like COVID 19. Given that the manifestations differ from person to person I'm not happy with this prognosis over the phone. Evidently the WHO message about test, test, test hasn't been received yet. I still do not feel well at all & am going to pursue some other avenues toward a test. A pharmacy chain has set up a drive up test station near where I live but no one knows what the criteria there is yet. My doctor did take me off the new chemo medicine. At this point, I haven't had effective RA therapy since late last fall & the RA is on the rampage. It is getting very hard to get around. As indicated in the article below, there is much confusion in the health care system here with opposing messages being put forth depending on who you talk to. The graph from Mr DDD above shows we are rapidly approaching 1000 cases in the state. I think that if the authorities ever get their act together & everyone who needs a test gets one, that number is going to increase greatly. I am still acting responsibly with isolation, etc & trying to get tested since I am high risk. It is depressing though. I should be seeing the rheumatologist if for no other reason than to have my blood tested to make sure the drug I just stopped hasn't caused another problem. It is dangerous stuff. Also, to figure out the next step. The current model clearly isn't working & the damage is accumulating rapidly.

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: RG ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:40

bv
keefriff99
bv

(1) is a fact

Mick is a businessman as we all know, maybe he is a good negotiator as well. We'll see. However it will be a postponement not a cancellation.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:45

Good Job BV in keeping it real and keeping us all informed for which I greatly appreciate your no nonsense tell it like it is style . Thank You and be Safe !

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:56

Suggesting that whoever might have an inside track to the Stones Organization to phone them/text them and express the displeasure and anxiety their delayed announcement is causing millions of fans who are desperate for some kind of answer about this tour! We don't NEED to be thinking about this and stressing over our refunds! This is a lot of money we've invested, money that should be spent on necessities...it needs to be freed up NOW!

Date: March 17, 2020 18:00

mickschix
Suggesting that whoever might have an inside track to the Stones Organization to phone them/text them and express the displeasure and anxiety their delayed announcement is causing millions of fans who are desperate for some kind of answer about this tour! We don't NEED to be thinking about this and stressing over our refunds! This is a lot of money we've invested, money that should be spent on necessities...it needs to be freed up NOW!

Please think.

Tour as planned will not happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-17 18:01 by PaintMonkeyManBlack.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 17, 2020 18:05

Big Al
So who else here is currently self-isolating?

I experienced - what I initially thought to be, anyway - flu-like symptoms this past Friday afternoon. It was almost an attack, actually. I’m feeling much better, but I cannot return to work for a week. I’m climbing the walls already.

I had the news today that a young man at our office is self-isolating at home with high fever and a nasty cough - I was last in contact with him last Tuesday, but I am planning to self-isolate until I am sure I have not caught anything. We don't know whether he has Covid-19 because they won't test him unless his symptoms become much more serious, but I'm not taking any chances: I have a lot of elderly friends.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 17, 2020 18:15

mickschix

If you spent money on tickets and stressing about the money for a week or two maybe you should not have bought tickets. Just be patient. Buying Rolling Stones tickets is not is not an investment.

Posted by: OneHourPhoto ()
Date: March 17, 2020 18:22

daspyknows
mickschix

If you spent money on tickets and stressing about the money for a week or two maybe you should not have bought tickets. Just be patient. Buying Rolling Stones tickets is not is not an investment.
Well said

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 17, 2020 18:26

daspyknows
mickschix

Keeping in mind that most major concert postponement/cancelations have been for the period ending about the time the Stones tour is scheduled to start. Ones that were to start earlier (Pearl Jam etc) cancelled as they were to be kicking off in March. Others that were currently under way postponed for about that same time frame mostly.
The Stones hands are likely tied at this point as promoters either wait for cities to extend their bans into May/June or other contractual issues in their battle with the insurance company over the potentially huge claim.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home