Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: RG ()
Date: March 15, 2020 19:26

[dutchreview.com]

In my country an almost total lockdown. Everything is closed from now on. Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2020 19:34

cmc
Maybe the situation has turned the corner in Italy. ????

Alas no... 368 more deaths within the last 24hrs...

Date: March 15, 2020 19:54

daspyknows
jlowe
Meanwhile David Crosby is concerned that if his up coming tour is cancelled he may 'lose his home'.
Says he has no savings.
Surely income though from CSNY days?

All his CSNY proceeds went up his nose.

LOL. That’s prob very true

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 15, 2020 19:56

jumpontopofmebaby
daspyknows
jlowe
Meanwhile David Crosby is concerned that if his up coming tour is cancelled he may 'lose his home'.
Says he has no savings.
Surely income though from CSNY days?

All his CSNY proceeds went up his nose.

LOL. That’s prob very true
[www.celebritynetworth.com]
Its says here hes worth 40 million

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 15, 2020 19:58

cmc
Maybe the situation has turned the corner in Italy. ????

worldometers.info is a good site for pure numbers and shows deaths for Saturday dipped. Saturday was the fewest in four days. Only one day, but hopefully a good sign.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:04

As I've said before, this crisis and how it impacts each of us is totally dependent on how each of our governments handle it! In the USA, we are BEHIND by about 8 weeks in adequate preparation due to the GOVERNMENT denying the seriousness of coronavirus, thus we are all at great risk. No denying that if we had proper precautions and medical response put in place in January, we would be in far better shape....just a fact. now folks are beginning to panic, supermarkets are emptying out of essentials and the possibility of our hospitals being unable to care for the sick is real! Not fun right now and all because of those in power being more worried about the DOW Jones than caring for the citizens. And the really sad thing is that this was avoidable ...or at least the severity could have been far less than what we're facing now.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:11

I listened to this episode of the JRE podcast yesterday with guest Micheal Osterholm, an infectious disease expert. It was very informative. There's some sobering and scary stuff, but it's not without hope. Its a good, level-headed conversation:

[podcasts.joerogan.net]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 20:17 by ryanpow.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:26

mickschix
As I've said before, this crisis and how it impacts each of us is totally dependent on how each of our governments handle it! In the USA, we are BEHIND by about 8 weeks in adequate preparation due to the GOVERNMENT denying the seriousness of coronavirus, thus we are all at great risk. No denying that if we had proper precautions and medical response put in place in January, we would be in far better shape....just a fact. now folks are beginning to panic, supermarkets are emptying out of essentials and the possibility of our hospitals being unable to care for the sick is real! Not fun right now and all because of those in power being more worried about the DOW Jones than caring for the citizens. And the really sad thing is that this was avoidable ...or at least the severity could have been far less than what we're facing now.

100% correct

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:33

steffialicia
mickschix

100% correct

Yes it is

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:42

Cooltoplady
steffialicia
mickschix
And the really sad thing is that this was avoidable ...or at least the severity could have been far less than what we're facing now.

100% correct

Yes it is

Sad but true.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:46

Cooltoplady
steffialicia
mickschix

100% correct

Yes it is

Well it's a bit hard to sort things out here but it seems that all that can really be "controlled" is the speed at which the disease spreads and therefore the number of people needing emergency care at a given point in time. In the end a large part of the population is going to be infected anyway and then "herd immunity" will put an end to the virus. It wasn't really feasible to lock things down throughout the world at the end of January...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 22:33 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 15, 2020 20:54

SAS Airlines ( Scandinavian Airlines System ) is effectively closing down for the foreseeable future.Virtually all flights will be suspended from tomorrow,except for a skeleton service which will be used to get passengers home.

Nate

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 15, 2020 21:14

American Airlines cancelling most long-haul flights through May 6th except twice daily to London and 3 weekly flights to Tokyo...

“American Airlines said Saturday it plans to cut 75% of its international flights through May 6 and ground nearly all its widebody fleet, as airlines respond to the global collapse in travel demand due to the coronavirus pandemic.”

[www.cnbc.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 15, 2020 21:35

schwonek
Cooltoplady
steffialicia
mickschix
And the really sad thing is that this was avoidable ...or at least the severity could have been far less than what we're facing now.

100% correct

Yes it is

Sad but true.

Yes

Date: March 15, 2020 21:44

A local hospital close to where I live has had all its supplies of masks and sanitizer stolen.If caught then there should be extremely severe penalties for what is basically man slaughter at the very least.

Nate

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 15, 2020 21:52

Cooltoplady
steffialicia
mickschix

100% correct

Yes it is

It's not necessarily true. Shutting down a trillion-dollar economy is not an easy decision and it hurts the little guy also, not just Wall Street. Caring for your citizens means not putting a huge portion of them out of work with no paycheck to feed and shelter themselves and their children. It would appear that once the Italian model of a modern Western country being severely affected became a stark reality, then governments all around the world started to react.

Wall Street wants people to work and live out their lives and prosper. Like it or not, Wall Street is you and you are Wall Street. The interests of Wall Street and your interests are more often than not in direct alignment.

Is it really worth it to quibble over +/- X days? I think not. The measures have been put in place and millions of people are going to suffer economically in order to prevent millions of people from having a premature death. That is just and as it should me.
Making the right decision at the right time is a delicate balancing act. We are where we are right now, and let's hope we pull though relatively unscathed. I am just not a fan of the 20-20 hindsight crowd. Nor does anyone have a crystal ball to know what the future will bring.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 15, 2020 23:16

MileHigh
I am just not a fan of the 20-20 hindsight crowd. Nor does anyone have a crystal ball to know what the future will bring.

We didn't need 20-20 hindsight, we already had the examples of China and South Korea and how they responded to the virus. We don't need a crystal ball, we already have the example of Italy (and how slow it was to respond) to know how things will go.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 15, 2020 23:26

mickschix

some truth here....

our gov't reaction hasn't been great (but also hasn't been horrible either, IMO)....as MileHigh pointed out, there are a lot of complexities in the decisions being made, whether we like them or not.

however, WE are very much to blame....a rapid spread IS avoidable, but only if people take warnings seriously (which they very much are NOT).

as an example - I saw on the news that the bars in Boston were packed last night w/ young people wanting to party for the St. Patrick's Day Parade (which was cancelled)..."shoulder to shoulder" and "lines around the block".

As another example - I am a teacher and had 3 students (and 1 teacher) come in with "cold-like symptoms" just last Thursday....one of them even had a fever....this is despite 4 billion warnings and letters and statements to STAY HOME if you have ANY symptoms....especially fever.

how this illness impacts us is very much up to US...people are not heeding warnings or taking them seriously....that is on us, not the gov't.

we need to stop looking to gov't to "solve" everything, stop playing Monday Morning Quarterback and start doing what we already KNOW is right and WILL work.

here goes (again):

socially isolate other than necessity, wash your hands, try not to touch your face, stay home if you are sick, cover your cough.....

.....and don't go to the hospital unless directed to do so by a medical professional.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 15, 2020 23:31

Aquamarine
MileHigh
I am just not a fan of the 20-20 hindsight crowd. Nor does anyone have a crystal ball to know what the future will bring.

We didn't need 20-20 hindsight, we already had the examples of China and South Korea and how they responded to the virus. We don't need a crystal ball, we already have the example of Italy (and how slow it was to respond) to know how things will go.

yep...yet people are still going out to bars, going to work w/ "cold/flu-like" symptoms.....etc. etc. etc.

gov't response is one problem, agreed.....citizen response is another.

the warnings and recommendations are quite clear....many Americans refuse to heed them, no matter what gov't says.

so, I guess that leaves gov't one option - full lockdown

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 16, 2020 00:06

Ohio to close bars and restaurants (BBC)

Slovakia and Serbia declare a state of emergency

Date: March 16, 2020 00:15

Wow my mother just found out someone she knew in Sicily has died of the virus.
Also in Italy they are apparently seeing increasing numbers of younger patients being admitted to hospitals with more serious symptoms of the virus.

Nate

Date: March 16, 2020 00:51

It is a little alarming how here in the UK the government seems to be not taking appropriate measures to try to get in front before it’s too late.The head of the WHO stated some days ago now that they have rung the alarm bells loud and clear and were calling on all governments to take immediate and aggressive actions to combat the spread of the virus.
I find it concerning how our European neighbors are taking these actions but the UK seems to be alone in being much slower in this part of the world.
Apparently 200 scientists here in the UK have signed a joint letter to the government raising these concerns.I fear we may be in a drastic situation in the very near future as our health service is already greatly stretched.

Nate

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: March 16, 2020 00:54

gotdablouse
Cooltoplady
steffialicia
mickschix

100% correct

Yes it is

Well it's a bit hard to sort things out here but it seems that all that can really be "controlled" is the speed at which the disease spreads and therefore the number of people needing emergency care at a given point in time. In the end a large part of the population is going to be infected anyway and then "herd immunity" will put an end to the virus. It wasn't really feasible to lock things down throughout the world at the end of January...

In the end a large part of the population is going to be infected anyway and then "herd immunity" will put an end to the virus
What a foolish argument!!

We do not need to point out Boris Johnson adventurism. The very serious possibility that the health system and all state structures will collapse in the United Kingdom. The risk that deaths from other causes that cannot be treated in hospital may compete in number with the nightmarish harvesting of coronavirus. The plausible possibility that the coronavirus is swelling uncontrollably to mutate into something even more lethal.
Boris Johnson is said to be reconciled with natural selection. He forgets that the whole course - and the epoch - of man is a struggle against it. If we had given it up, medical science would not have even developed. Every sick person would depend solely on his body's ability to self-regulate.

Get a grip gotdablouse!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 16, 2020 00:57

I'm a bit of an analyst, so forgive me for doing some number crunching, using the stats from this website:
[www.worldometers.info].

OK, the death rate originally estimated at 2% was wrong when comparing deaths to the overall number infected, which WHO eventually then changed to 3.4%, (oh and by the way, that percentage is now 3.8%) which then was correct, for what it was calculating.

But I felt what it was calculating was still incorrect, as that denominator was growing faster than the numerator, ie you don't 'die' the day you get the disease, it takes time.

The correct denominator to use, I feel, is in the number of outcomes. When the pandemic is over, this is the ultimate number we will look at, as you don't have the disease your entire life. You either survive, or you don't.

So, using that, for the longest time I saw that the death rate calculated on the site was actually 6%. over twice as high as WHO states. Recent days have had this creep up to 8%. This is as per that link.

BUT, I wondered what the CHINA numbers were, compared to rest of the world, as today we surpassed both numbers that have the disease, and number that died outside of China.

For China, crunching the numbers, you get 70133 outcomes, this with 3199 deaths, and 66934 survived. If you divide deaths by outcomes, you get a death rate of 4.6%. Much higher than the WHO figure, but much less than the death rate the website is calculating for the overall rate.

This means that the death rate currently for the Rest of World has to be higher, and it is. Of the total ROW, 9684 have recovered, and 3297 have died. 12981 outcomes in total. The death rate for ROW therefore, is 25.4% currently.

I've no idea why this would be, and I'm not trying to stoke any panic, this is the numbers that are being published. I think if you did this 'by country', you might find an even larger skewing of the death rate for some countries. Korea, Germany and Norway for instance seem to have relatively low death rates. That means it has to be even higher for other countries.

Very disconcerting. Hopefully the outcomes will improve and this will change this stat. Again, this is just something that I noticed and if you can show me why I'm wrong, I'd love to be proven wrong.

PS, these exact numbers will change of course, but right at the moment they appear accurate. It may simply be a case that we've drastically underestimated the overall number of cases, which then bring all the rates down. But that also means we have a significantly larger of cases than is currently being estimated, by an order of magnitudes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-16 01:10 by treaclefingers.

Date: March 16, 2020 01:08

Am I correct in thinking that here in the UK we haven’t actually put a stop to accepting any foreign visitors at all through our borders?

Just this past week we had 3000 football fans from Spain attending a game in Liverpool and the fact that the Cheltenham horse racing festival that lasts four days with many international attendees and a total attendance of around a quarter of a million people over the four days was allowed to go ahead is just stunningly stupid.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-16 01:17 by Nate.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 16, 2020 01:29

The Prime Minister Legault of the province of Quebec just advised all the restaurants, bars and cinemas to close. He didn't ordered it but strongly advised it and most of them responded positively. Only remains our @#$%& Trudeau to move his ass and do something for the rest of Canada. His own wife is infected but he doesn't do anything. He's silent and absent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-16 01:30 by daniel t.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 16, 2020 01:40

Bars, breweries, wineries and nightclubs in California are now closed. Restaurants can now only seat at 50 % capacity.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: March 16, 2020 01:41

Locked up tight in The Czech Republic Tonight!!!!!!!!!!!! For one week...as it stands!!!!!! They have lived thru Nazi's.......Communism....and everything else!!!!! Good place to be ...........All the best out there where ever you are!!!!! We will get over this!!!! Be well brother's and Sister's....Peace..M

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 16, 2020 01:41

Appears like Trump was clandestinely trying to get exclusive access to a Corona vaccine …

(English: )
[www.theguardian.com], [www.politico.eu], [www.newsweek.com]

Here's an additional detail from the SZ:
The Company [CureVac] has several vaccine candidates and announced first clinical tests for June. The majority shareholder of CureVac, with a stake of more than 80 percent, is SAP co-founder Dietmar Hopp through his holding company Dievini. On Sunday, [Dievini] gave Trump a rejection that could not have been clearer. "We want to develop a vaccine for the whole world and not for individual countries", Dievini managing director Christof Hettich told the newspaper "Mannheimer Morgen." [www.sueddeutsche.de]

(German: )
[www.faz.net], [www.sueddeutsche.de], [www.merkur.de], [www.welt.de]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 16, 2020 01:47

CDC in US just recommended no gatherings of 50+ people (excluding school, etc) for 60 days. That goes beyond the start of the tour. Inching towards cancellaiton?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home