Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 22:21

dcba
treaclefingers

Italy was definitely slow to react, but it appears that the US is acting in much the same way, if not worse. It is going to get really ugly unfortunately in the next 8-10 weeks.

Respiratory device + hospital bed per 1000 habitants :

- Europe 6
- Usa 2,8/2.8

Btw this is just stating facts, not playing a game of "my country is better than yours".

All the European nations have strong public health services... what about US?
Spain has just announced an official "National shut down status"-
The streets are empty right now (Saturday night in Spain !! 21.28 pm).
It scares me a little but it is time to be united, well informed and stand firm.
God bless you all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 22:28 by spain73.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 14, 2020 22:23

France and Spain announce partial lockdowns (BBC)

Lockdown in Berlin: pubs, clubs, cinemas, theatres to be closed, "stay at home".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 22:35 by MAF.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 14, 2020 22:59

All schools in Maryland, DC, and VA shut down for the next few weeks or longer. Home, wondering how I will my work done alone and when this will end. I'm grateful everyone I know and love is still healthy, but it's frightening how ill-prepared our government and health care system is to handle what's sure to come. Missing a Stones concert is the least of my worries.

Be well and stay safe, everyone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2020 23:02

ABC News --- 15 March 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2020 23:23

georgie48
Hairball
Now there's been mention of the possibility of domestic travel restrictions within the US....
Would that mean from state to state? Or county to county? Or city to city?
Or ultimately complete lockdown within your home?
Strange days.............

Strange days indeed, Hairball.
In the Netherlands people haven been "raping" supermarkets in the past days like mad. Watching Belgium TV the behavior there is similar. The Belgium prime minister insisted on showing warehouses on TV to prove to the people that they are filled to the top (only distribution takes two or three days longer, because normally the delivery pace is based on normal shopping behavior), but still people act like sheep, one following te other like a robot without conscious thinking. Toilet paper??? Ridiculous. It may happen in the USA too pretty soon.
Right now I enjoy listening to Aftermath with some typical human behavior kind of lyrics.
smileys with beer

It already has started here georgie48 - people stocking up/hoarding lots of stuff including toilet paper.
I drove by a Costco yesterday which is a warehouse type massive market to buy items in bulk, and there was literally a line that went as far as the eye could see with people standing with their carts outside in the rain waiting to get in.
Even some of the regular sized markets are being tested with shelves emptied....everything from toilet paper, water, rice, pasta. etc., etc., etc....it's near chaos.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 14, 2020 23:44

My brother works in private aviation he told me bookings are through the roof this week.

All the ladies of Washington scrambling to get out of town.

Nate

Date: March 14, 2020 23:47

Hairball
It already has started here georgie48 - people stocking up/hoarding lots of stuff including toilet paper.

Madness and panic. People should calm down and use their brain.
Stocking up/hoarding lots of stuff is nonsense.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 14, 2020 23:50

Rockman

ABC News --- 15 March 2020

An average Frenchman might object a cafe is an essential location! cool smiley
Apparently we were naughty/undisciplined so our gov decided to punish the nation of naughty kids... If it can save lives, I'm all for it!

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 23:55

Nate
My brother works in private aviation he told me bookings are through the roof this week.

All the ladies of Washington scrambling to get out of town.

Nate
Love the Dylan quote Nate...

Date: March 15, 2020 01:15

And the next one: lockdown in Lithuania.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 15, 2020 01:22

MAF
And the next one: lockdown in Lithuania.

And Latvia from Tuesday on.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 15, 2020 01:38

Western Civilization is massively powerful especially when mobilized. We don't hear much about Africa and India which is worrisome.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2020 01:48

…. and Indonesia is keeping its
Corona information very very secret ….
Bali is one of the last places you'd want to be right now

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2020 01:56

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 15, 2020 02:16

MileHigh
Western Civilization is massively powerful especially when mobilized. We don't hear much about Africa and India which is worrisome.

As of March 14, India reported 84 confirmed cases (67 Indian nationals and 17 foreigners), 2 deaths and 10 cured.
[www.pharmaceutical-technology.com]

Now the Indian health care system and infrastructure is not exactly great and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual numbers are somewhat higher.

I have friends in Himachal Pradesh who I wanted to call anyway round these days, so I'll see what they tell me about the situation and preventive measures in their area. (Although I wouldn't know preventive meaasures beyond closing schools or so should be enforced in the mountains, or in rural areas in India altogether.)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 15, 2020 02:23

DO THE FIVE.
Help stop coronavirus

1 HANDS Wash them often
2 ELBOW Cough & Sneeze into it
3 FACE Don't touch it
4 SPACE Keep safe distance
5 FEEL SICK? Stay home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-21 02:09 by schillid.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 15, 2020 02:24

I've been banned (not by BV!) from work for 14 days with a bunch of us who went to Chicago Tues - Fri. I can work from home, but I am planning on doing as much home projects and sleeping as anything else.

In fact, I'm going to sleep right now. Good night.

plexi

Date: March 15, 2020 02:40

timbernardis
I've been banned (not by BV!) from work for 14 days with a bunch of us who went to Chicago Tues - Fri. I can work from home, but I am planning on doing as much home projects and sleeping as anything else.

In fact, I'm going to sleep right now. Good night.

plexi

For 2 stones pit tickets location of my choice I will not forward this post to your boss !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 02:41 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: Kerryann ()
Date: March 15, 2020 02:50

Can I suggest to anyone with refundable hotel deals to cancel and get your refunds asap. This virus is really hurting the travel and hospitality industries and there will be casualties. If your agent goes bust, there may not be refunds to be had.
Also just hoping that ticketmaster is solid, as I imagine they will be issuing mega amounts of refunds from cancelled events at the moment. Thats why I hope the stones cancel asap so that we can get our refunds back into our accounts. The longer they delay, the less the chance we will see our money again.

Date: March 15, 2020 02:58

Kerryann
Can I suggest to anyone with refundable hotel deals to cancel and get your refunds asap. This virus is really hurting the travel and hospitality industries and there will be casualties. If your agent goes bust, there may not be refunds to be had.
Also just hoping that ticketmaster is solid, as I imagine they will be issuing mega amounts of refunds from cancelled events at the moment. Thats why I hope the stones cancel asap so that we can get our refunds back into our accounts. The longer they delay, the less the chance we will see our money again.

At this time Ticketmaster is not refunding postponed and rescheduled events like they used to. They changed their policy a few days ago. I do not have the link but a few pages back there is one to a Ticketmaster blog.

Date: March 15, 2020 03:26

Shutdown in Israel

Syria: elections postponed because of coronavirus

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 03:59 by MAF.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 15, 2020 04:00

I live in the Bay Area and I expect there will be some kind of regional if not statewide by the end of the week given the non-existent testing response in the US.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 15, 2020 04:18

Excellent simulations and article about "flattening the curve".

These simulations show how to flatten the coronavirus growth curve from The Washington Post

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 15, 2020 05:43

MisterDDDD

These simulations show how to flatten the coronavirus growth curve from The Washington Post

[www.washingtonpost.com]

This is totally brilliant. Everyone should read this one! It's much cleverer than the graphics above will lead you to expect.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

MisterDDDD does it again! Well done.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 15, 2020 06:13

Finland is preparing to invoke emergency legislation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 06:21 by Topi.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 15, 2020 07:09

CaptainCorella
MisterDDDD

[www.washingtonpost.com]

This is totally brilliant. Everyone should read this one! It's much cleverer than the graphics above will lead you to expect.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

MisterDDDD does it again! Well done.

The key thing about the exponential function is that the rate of increase is proportional the instantaneous value of the variable you are looking at. Say 1000 people will infect 100 people. Later on, 10000 people will infect 1000 people and so on. It just keeps on going up and up faster and faster. As the simulations show, eventually you run out of new people to infect and it slows down. The key takeaway is the notion that the virus can spread like wildfire because of the exponential increase.

It also goes the other way. Think of a hole in the bottom of a glass of water. The rate that the water empties out of the glass is proportional to the height of the water in the glass. And when you think about that as a pure idealized thought experiment, the glass will never empty of water because it keeps on slowing down. It takes an infinite amount of time for the glass to empty.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 15, 2020 08:40

MileHigh

The coronavirus is the curse of international travel. Rich people travel. Business people travel. In Norway a lot of our people went to winter holidays in the alps and in Italy and of course in Gran Canary in thousands. Less people do so from Africa or a poor country. The more you travel, the more you change location, the more you spread the virus. If everyone stay at home for a month, the curve will flatten, but people are selfish, they just want to go to their holiday cabin, or just go to The Bahamas, or just a trip to Miami, or just a drive to the shopping mall. All this is wrong now. Do not travel. Do not mingle with others. Don't let your children play with others. Stay at home and follow the directions from the authorities.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 15, 2020 09:35

bv
MileHigh

The coronavirus is the curse of international travel. Rich people travel. Business people travel. In Norway a lot of our people went to winter holidays in the alps and in Italy and of course in Gran Canary in thousands. Less people do so from Africa or a poor country. The more you travel, the more you change location, the more you spread the virus. If everyone stay at home for a month, the curve will flatten, but people are selfish, they just want to go to their holiday cabin, or just go to The Bahamas, or just a trip to Miami, or just a drive to the shopping mall. All this is wrong now. Do not travel. Do not mingle with others. Don't let your children play with others. Stay at home and follow the directions from the authorities.

I post on some other forums (not as much as this one). Yesterday there was a woman on the NIN forum who was in a dilemma about whether to take her kids to a big birthday party. I advised her that it probably wasn't a good idea. I like kids but they do carry germs as part of the natural development of their immune system. Told her to send birthday wishes & maybe get her kids a treat of something they like & have their own party. Young kids are very resilient & they will forget missing the big party. Happily the woman took my advice & was grateful for the thought put into it. Some wisdom does come with age if we are lucky.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2020 12:41

Op-ed : "China Bought the West Time. The West Squandered It."
[www.nytimes.com]

(personal opinion : what if the widely-discussed shift of power between the West and China was just happening right now. They handled the disease we just can't. They prevailed, we are just entering epidemic Hell).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-15 12:44 by dcba.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 15, 2020 13:27

Austria banned crowds of more than five - 5 - people today, according to a news entry I just saw on TV.

Norway have the leader of the health authority, plus other health managers, in a 14 days home quarantine, because one of the leaders tested positive after coming home from Spain this week. They have met close together less than one meter this week. Also a number of the government are in 14 days home quarantine because of travel abroad.

Norway have approx 1,000 positive tests, of which 400 or so from St Anton Tyrol Austria, also Sweden have many cases from Tyrol, but Austria did not know about those cases. It turns out a person from UK was on travel in Singapore, then he took a few days of ski holiday in St Anton Austria, then he went home to UK. He is the source of A LOT of these cases, as it seems.

A young banking man age 29 visited the club Trumpete in Berlin Germany on Feb 29. Now it turns out seventeen - 17 - people was infected by him during his visit. He did not know he had the coronavirus, but when testing later on, sure he was.

Touching microphones, wood, plastic, buttons, shopping carts, newspapers, hands, shoulders, mail boxes, elevator buttons, shaking hands, ATM keyboards, anything, the virus will move, stick, then transfer to another person touching the same surface. The coronavirus do live and stay active on surfaces for days, may be a week or more, and move on to the next person touching that object.

In short, the coronavirus is moving much faster than the average flu. It is extreme in the way it is shifting from person to person, through any place other people touch. The only way to avoid the virus from moving around, according to WHO, is to stay apart at least one meter i.e. THREE FEET, and do NOT touch other people, or other objects touched by other people. Wash your hands, for twenty seconds, hot water, soap, or special high alcoholic liquids now sold out most places.

I watched the press conference at the White House on Friday, and I was surprised to see a dozen or so people - managing directors and leaders - standing less than a foot apart, touching the podium with both of their hands, at the very same spots, hand shakes with the president, hands on shoulders, at a time when everybody is told by WHO that one meter i.e. 3 feet apart is essential.

May be next week managers and presidents and all other people do respect the vital advice on NOT shaking hands, not touching other people, except for your children and partner, but until then, the virus will spread, because people do what they see their leaders do.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home