Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 14, 2020 15:24

Angus MacBagpipe
treaclefingers
Canada's first lady, Sophie Trudeau tests positive. Prime Minister is in isolation:

[ca.news.yahoo.com]

Sorry to be picky, but in Canada the wife of Canada’s Prime Minister is NEVER called the “First Lady”. She’s called the wife of the Prime Minister, just like in Britain.

So glad you were able to pick up on that and post the correction on this thread. Not sure how a lot of us would have coped in the alternative. Carry on.

Date: March 14, 2020 15:26

FYI. Ticketmaster in some cases not giving refunds for some rescheduled concerts. Changed their policy a few days ago. Not sure how they can change it after you already purchased tickets under the old policy. But I cannot get a refund at this time. And it is BS

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 14, 2020 15:32

jumpontopofmebaby
FYI. Ticketmaster in some cases not giving refunds for some rescheduled concerts. Changed their policy a few days ago. Not sure how they can change it after you already purchased tickets under the old policy. But I cannot get a refund at this time. And it is BS

How noble of them.

Nate

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 14, 2020 15:33

bv
German and Italy are ramping up production of medical ventilators to meet expected peak epidemic demand. They cost $17,000 each.

German government also told all the hospitals to prepare for lots of intensive care patients.

In Germany all schools will be closed next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 15:35 by MAF.

Date: March 14, 2020 15:37

bv
keithsman
Am i missing something here, 12,000 people die from flue in the UK every year, 80 people die in Britain every day from flue and pneumonia. Flue always dies when the weather pics up, why cancel the whole calendar for 2020 at this stage, this virus will probably return and mutate every winter like flue and influenza. Seems like China have it contained, are people over reacting a bit with this. Sorry i don't watch the news much so maybe miss out on the political and media frenzy.

Yes. You are missing something very important here.

China have contained the virus - as it seems - after four - 4 - months of extreme measures. They got the virus in Nov 2019, then they kept it secret for 45 days, then they reported about it late Dec 2019, then they closed down entire cities of 60 mill people. Then it took two months until numbers started to go down. Every person in Shanghai and Beijing and so on have to use an app with red, yellow, green every time they want to enter a place, the app knows everything about every person, who you were close on the metro, who you met, a system not even George Orwell could invent in his book 1984. UK, USA and Europe have got the virus since early January, i.e. for two months. If we did it the Chinese way, we should have closed Seattle, New York, Milano, Tyrol and many other places a month ago. But nothing is happening. This week-end there are 200,000 people in UK enjoying a horseride event, and crowds gather all over USA still, including USA, wher there is a major outbreak (virus cluster) just 20 miles north of Manhattan.

The denial excuse about the flu is so stupid. It is like believing the earth is flat, because it looks like it, or to believe in Santa Clause, because it feels so safe. There is a vaccine for the annual flu, and 30% to 70% of the older population age 65 above take it. The flu start late oct/nov and last for 3 months or so. As soon as it is getting warmer, and drier, the fly dies out and the older population and the respirator capacity is getting back to normal. The fatality rate of the flu is 0.1% i.e. one og 1,000.

The corona virus is like a car coming towards you at 100 miles per hour. If you are young you may get away and no worries. But if you are old there is absolutely NO protection. The fatality rate is 1% and in countries were many smoke and have bad longues with KOLS / COPD then the fatality rate is more like 2% or above.

Do the maths.

The flu : 0.1% of the 66 million population in UK means 66,000 dead people, but as many take the flu shot in UK, and also many old people stay at elderly homes and keep away from influaza sick people, it is "just" 12,000 people dead, if your number is correct.

The corona Virus is 10 times more fatal. In a population like UK, of 66,000 people, this means 660,000 i.e. more than HALF A MILLION people in UK will die from the corona virus, unless dramatic measures are taken now, not next week.

The graph below says it all. It is taken from a report in the Norwegian paper VG, with references to doctors now working in overload in Italy. Their message in Italy is simply:

Italian doctor : It is like a war. Every day. Please be prepared!

So keithsman, do you still not understand what the problem is? Are you happy with what Boris is doing in UK so far? Are you happy with 200,000 people close together at the Cheltenham horse race tomorrow? Do you have any friends or relatives age 80+, or with any kinds of diseases? Do you worry about them at all?

these numbers are misleading. you can't just say 660,000 people will die because of projections. a certain number of people have to get it and be at risk to die. for instance , just as an example, if a country has 66 million people but somehow only 300k over the age of 70 no way every person over 70 plus another 300k people die

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 14, 2020 15:55

Apparently Spain is about to announce a lockdown of the entire country.

Nate

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 14, 2020 15:59

Just read all your information BV, and also all the valuable comments from Treaclefingers etc, thank you so much for your knowledge and information concerning this Virus, i totally understand why such drastic measures are being implemented now. Good luck everyone.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:02

keefriffhard4life
bv
keithsman
Am i missing something here, 12,000 people die from flue in the UK every year, 80 people die in Britain every day from flue and pneumonia. Flue always dies when the weather pics up, why cancel the whole calendar for 2020 at this stage, this virus will probably return and mutate every winter like flue and influenza. Seems like China have it contained, are people over reacting a bit with this. Sorry i don't watch the news much so maybe miss out on the political and media frenzy.

China have contained the virus - as it seems - after four - 4 - months of extreme measures. They got the virus in Nov 2019, then they kept it secret for 45 days, then they reported about it late Dec 2019, then they closed down entire cities of 60 mill people. Then it took two months until numbers started to go down. Every person in Shanghai and Beijing and so on have to use an app with red, yellow, green every time they want to enter a place, the app knows everything about every person, who you were close on the metro, who you met, a system not even George Orwell could invent in his book 1984. UK, USA and Europe have got the virus since early January, i.e. for two months. If we did it the Chinese way, we should have closed Seattle, New York, Milano, Tyrol and many other places a month ago. But nothing is happening. This week-end there are 200,000 people in UK enjoying a horseride event, and crowds gather all over USA still, including USA, wher there is a major outbreak (virus cluster) just 20 miles north of Manhattan.

The denial excuse about the flu is so stupid. It is like believing the earth is flat, because it looks like it, or to believe in Santa Clause, because it feels so safe. There is a vaccine for the annual flu, and 30% to 70% of the older population age 65 above take it. The flu start late oct/nov and last for 3 months or so. As soon as it is getting warmer, and drier, the fly dies out and the older population and the respirator capacity is getting back to normal. The fatality rate of the flu is 0.1% i.e. one og 1,000.

The corona virus is like a car coming towards you at 100 miles per hour. If you are young you may get away and no worries. But if you are old there is absolutely NO protection. The fatality rate is 1% and in countries were many smoke and have bad longues with KOLS / COPD then the fatality rate is more like 2% or above.

Do the maths.

The flu : 0.1% of the 66 million population in UK means 66,000 dead people, but as many take the flu shot in UK, and also many old people stay at elderly homes and keep away from influaza sick people, it is "just" 12,000 people dead, if your number is correct.

The corona Virus is 10 times more fatal. In a population like UK, of 66,000 people, this means 660,000 i.e. more than HALF A MILLION people in UK will die from the corona virus, unless dramatic measures are taken now, not next week.

The graph below says it all. It is taken from a report in the Norwegian paper VG, with references to doctors now working in overload in Italy. Their message in Italy is simply:

So keithsman, do you still not understand what the problem is? Are you happy with what Boris is doing in UK so far? Are you happy with 200,000 people close together at the Cheltenham horse race tomorrow? Do you have any friends or relatives age 80+, or with any kinds of diseases? Do you worry about them at all?

these numbers are misleading. you can't just say 660,000 people will die because of projections. a certain number of people have to get it and be at risk to die. for instance , just as an example, if a country has 66 million people but somehow only 300k over the age of 70 no way every person over 70 plus another 300k people die

The U.K. has about 8 million over 70s, including my parents, who I haven’t seen for a fortnight as a result of COVID 19. They live less than a mile from me, but as I’m out working and mixing with people from all over, they’ve asked me to stay away for the time being. They’re worried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 16:04 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 14, 2020 16:04

grzegorz67
keefriffhard4life
bv
keithsman

Do the maths.

The U.K. has about 8 million over 70s, including my parents, who I haven’t seen for a fortnight as a result of COVID 19

I was giving an example. taking how many people die from the flu and multiplying it by 10 is not really an accurate way to gauge anything

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:09

bv
ohmercy61
I hate to say this but they really do need to cancel the tour unfortunately people are going to really need the money they would spend on the tour to take care of themselves and their families..it stinks I know...

That is very true actually. Many people will loose 4-6 months of income this year. The governments will cover a lot, but we are the tax payers, and the government is us. This virus crisis will set us all back for one year economically.

Poor musicians and performers in the other end of the popularity scale vs The Stones do need the money, and many say we should not ask for refunds for already booked tickets to shown with low income performers now loosing all their income, but I am sure The Stones could manage well economically without this tour.

it's all the hourly-workers at stadiums who are going to be the most affected.

these people will lose their homes, have their electric/water turned off etc....most live "hand-to-mouth" as we say here in the states. Their pressure and stress must be immense.

Some NBA players are already donating money to help these workers.....the "big names" that are cancelling tours should consider doing the same, IMO.....

I don't know how it works in other places, but w/ all these school closings, lots of kids will be without 1-2 meals PER DAY if school systems don't have a plan (these are kids who qualify for what we call "free and reduced-cost lunch")

I'm off to distribute them on Monday (thankfully my school has a plan).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:10

jumpontopofmebaby
kovach
jumpontopofmebaby
My 401 K is now 200 1/2 k!!!

Ouch!!!

I lost ~$215k this month if it makes you feel better. eye popping smiley

Ouch for you also!!!

Seems to have bottomed out at -$342k. I was hoping to retire in 4 years...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-14 16:12 by kovach.

Date: March 14, 2020 16:18

grzegorz67
keefriffhard4life
bv
keithsman

Do the maths.

The U.K. has about 8 million over 70s, including my parents, who I haven’t seen for a fortnight as a result of COVID 19. They live less than a mile from me, but as I’m out working and mixing with people from all over, they’ve asked me to stay away for the time being. They’re worried.

Yes my Mum is 79 years old and she watches the news 24/7 she's afraid to go out, afraid to see any of her family or Grandchildren, i love and care for her very much if you must know. All I said was that this virus will mutate and come back every year, I'm suspicious of countries basically shutting down, that's why i asked people on here if we are over reacting. Judging by readers comments on here we are not over reacting, and i feel angry that China kept this quiet for 4 months.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:19

It says a lot that this thread has now overtaken the main tour thread in length. I hope that the Tour cancellation is made official soon so that people can get refunds soon because many people, depending on the job type they’re in are likely to take a huge income hit.

Morrisey is playing at Wembley Arena tonight and my friend and his son are goIng. There was no refund option. This and Cheltenham Races goIng ahead as normal is just daft. And what on Earth were Liverpool doIng on Wednesday night, allowing a crowd of 55,000 including 4,000 visitors from Madrid with pubs and restaurants around the stadium and city open as normal. Insane!

Meantime, 10 more dead in the U.K. Just announced.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:26

Good thing I bought ticket insurance on my expensive Stones tickets as well as our James Taylor tickets. Hopefully that will be honored if concerts are cancelled. I am willing to wait if the concerts are rescheduled.

Date: March 14, 2020 16:26

stickyfingers101
bv
ohmercy61
I hate to say this but they really do need to cancel the tour unfortunately people are going to really need the money they would spend on the tour to take care of themselves and their families..it stinks I know...

That is very true actually. Many people will loose 4-6 months of income this year. The governments will cover a lot, but we are the tax payers, and the government is us. This virus crisis will set us all back for one year economically.

Poor musicians and performers in the other end of the popularity scale vs The Stones do need the money, and many say we should not ask for refunds for already booked tickets to shown with low income performers now loosing all their income, but I am sure The Stones could manage well economically without this tour.

these people will lose their homes, have their electric/water turned off etc....most live "hand-to-mouth" as we say here in the states. Their pressure and stress must be immense.

Some NBA players are already donating money to help these workers.....the "big names" that are cancelling tours should consider doing the same, IMO.....

I don't know how it works in other places, but w/ all these school closings, lots of kids will be without 1-2 meals PER DAY if school systems don't have a plan (these are kids who qualify for what we call "free and reduced-cost lunch")

certainly doesn't apply as a blanket statement but people who "don't have money to feed their families" sometimes make bad decisions. last month I saw someone at a wawa put back a sausage biscuit for their child because you couldn't pay for it with food stamps. then they pulled out a $20 to pay for 3 packs of cigs and a 40 ounce beer

Date: March 14, 2020 16:41

If the powers that be wanted to rid the planet of 10% of its elderly population, the people that no longer contribute but cost governments, you couldn't invent a better virus. Just saying, it's not like economies can afford to go into lockdown year after year, and the young will soon get bored of not going to events and concerts. I'm sure at some point people will say children must be at school, education comes first and all that. Where does this end. I'm very ssuspicious, this is like some kind of drill.
You can't invent an antidote, Coronavirus has mutated 4 times already, this will happen every year just as various flue viruses return each year. Think about the big picture here, it's a perfect foil for draconian measures.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:42

keefriffhard4life
stickyfingers101
bv
ohmercy61

certainly doesn't apply as a blanket statement but people who "don't have money to feed their families" sometimes make bad decisions. last month I saw someone at a wawa put back a sausage biscuit for their child because you couldn't pay for it with food stamps. then they pulled out a $20 to pay for 3 packs of cigs and a 40 ounce beer

this is precisely the kid we need to help...

just wondering....where can you get 3 packs of cigs + beer for $20 anymore?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:47

jumpontopofmebaby

What show?

Date: March 14, 2020 16:51

stickyfingers101
keefriffhard4life
stickyfingers101
bv
ohmercy61

this is precisely the kid we need to help...

just wondering....where can you get 3 packs of cigs + beer for $20 anymore?

they bought some cheap cigs i'd never heard of that was barely over $4 a pack and then the 40 ounce or whatever it was the total was almost exactly $20. it was like $19.47 or something with tax.

I've also seen someone buy about $200 worth of steaks with food stamps and tell the kids "we eatin good the next few nights".

that's the issue I have in all this. you can't fix stupid. I have a child and make smart choices. I can't constantly help others simply because their parents/caregiver makes bad choices

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 14, 2020 16:53

An interesting (and heated) debate over lockdown vs. herd immunity in the first half of this Channel 4 report.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2020 17:05

franzk
An interesting (and heated) debate over lockdown vs. herd immunity in the first half of this Channel 4 report.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for this.

Date: March 14, 2020 17:13

Topi
jumpontopofmebaby

What show?

Was taking my girl friend to see Cher in Little Rock Arkansas tonight. But it got moved to September. I just wanted a refund and no go. For me it was like good news bad news !

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 14, 2020 17:23

keefriffhard4life
bv
keithsman

Do the maths.

These numbers are of course averages and statistical.

A country without old people will do much better, but there are many old people in my country, and in UK, and in USA etc. Also many are smoking and are overweight with more risk.

I think it is stupid to compare the annual flu with the coronavirus.

The coronavirus is 10x more fatal, but really 30x more fatal in a population, because we have no vaccine, and because there are not enough respirators. The flu last for 5 minths from nov-mar, and the bad cases spread out over months. The coronavirus are boosting extreme numbers, like we see in Italy. They are already denying respirators to many, and many are not even having hospital rooms, they are in hospital corridors.

Please do not try to make this serious situation into some sort of joke. People will die. Many people will die, but if the leaders act fast, and do the right actions, less people will die, and may be we can enjoy a beer at a bar in the sunshine with other people outside in 3-4 months time. For sure not before that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 14, 2020 17:37

The Rolling Stones will have to cancel/postpone the tour when they are unable to comply with their contract. There are a number of issues that may lead to this:

- UK closed from travel to USA during tour period (including rehearsals dates i.e. 3-4 weeks before May 8)
- Large crowds banned in USA from May 8 and on (may not happen until early April)
- Legal terms in the contract related to health

I expect the tour to be postponed or canceled within two weeks time, but it's all up to the legal people really.

The virus will be all over USA for months, that is the reality. No way there can be a tour this summer. We just have to wait for an announcement to come. It is sad, but they can not tour as it is now. Not now, not next month, not in the summer.

Bjornulf

Date: March 14, 2020 17:48

bv
keefriffhard4life
bv
keithsman

Do the maths.

These numbers are of course averages and statistical.

A country without old people will do much better, but there are many old people in my country, and in UK, and in USA etc. Also many are smoking and are overweight with more risk.

I think it is stupid to compare the annual flu with the coronavirus.

The coronavirus is 10x more fatal, but really 30x more fatal in a population, because we have no vaccine, and because there are not enough respirators. The flu last for 5 minths from nov-mar, and the bad cases spread out over months. The coronavirus are boosting extreme numbers, like we see in Italy. They are already denying respirators to many, and many are not even having hospital rooms, they are in hospital corridors.

Please do not try to make this serious situation into some sort of joke. People will die. Many people will die, but if the leaders act fast, and do the right actions, less people will die, and may be we can enjoy a beer at a bar in the sunshine with other people outside in 3-4 months time. For sure not before that.

its 10X more fatal to people who were already at risk . these numbers also project every person getting the virus . they are not accurate

Date: March 14, 2020 18:30

bv
The Rolling Stones will have to cancel/postpone the tour when they are unable to comply with their contract. There are a number of issues that may lead to this:

- UK closed from travel to USA during tour period (including rehearsals dates i.e. 3-4 weeks before May 8)
- Large crowds banned in USA from May 8 and on (may not happen until early April)

I expect the tour to be postponed or canceled within two weeks time, but it's all up to the legal people really.

The virus will be all over USA for months, that is the reality. No way there can be a tour this summer. We just have to wait for an announcement to come. It is sad, but they can not tour as it is now. Not now, not next month, not in the summer.

I think Mick will sit this one out a little longer before cancelling the tour, in light of a programme just watched on channel 4 there is a view that isolating the virus doesn't stop it spreading again as soon as the lockdown gets released. Meaning there isn't an answer to this virus, lockdowns are futile long term. The chain of thought that when more people have the virus the virus gets defeated is probably a more realistic response long term. The economy of Europe and America etc can't afford to stay in lockdown.

Date: March 14, 2020 18:38

wonderboy
China to me is a worst case scenario. An aging population, overcrowded, poor hygiene and public cleanliness, a government that initially denied the problem, not the best health care system.
Let's not fool ourselves that dictatorships are effective in dealing with crisis. You need to have the people on board and you need ideas bubbling up from the people, like what seems to be happening here in the U.S.
And yes, Trump is an idiot, but he's not the president of Italy.

Italy was definitely slow to react, but it appears that the US is acting in much the same way, if not worse. It is going to get really ugly unfortunately in the next 8-10 weeks.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 14, 2020 18:38

jumpontopofmebaby

Information Regarding the Cancellation and Rescheduling of Live Events

[blog.ticketmaster.com]

How to get a ticket refund if your event was canceled due to coronavirus outbreak

Ticketmaster has a list of events that have been canceled or postponed. If you purchased tickets from Ticketmaster for an event that was canceled, you will automatically receive a refund to the same card you bought them with, minus UPS fees, within 7-10 business days, according to the company. You can also sign into your Ticketmaster account, select your order, select refund and choose the tickets you’d like refunded.

If an event was postponed, Ticketmaster will contact you by phone or email with the new event information as soon as it has it. If you can’t make the new date, you will see a refund button in your order if refunds are approved “by the artist, team, venue, or promoter.” More information here.

[www.usatoday.com]

Date: March 14, 2020 18:44

keithsman
bv

I think Mick will sit this one out a little longer before cancelling the tour, in light of a programme just watched on channel 4 there is a view that isolating the virus doesn't stop it spreading again as soon as the lockdown gets released. Meaning there isn't an answer to this virus, lockdowns are futile long term. The chain of thought that when more people have the virus the virus gets defeated is probably a more realistic response long term. The economy of Europe and America etc can't afford to stay in lockdown.

It's about slowing the spread, so that the health care system isn't overwhelmed. That way, fewer people die. I saw someone on CNBC yesterday talk about it being better for the market if we just let it happen, let it have a V-shaped peak as then it will be over sooner, and probably the same number of people will ultimately get it anyway; which is what I think what you are saying.

You're absolutely right.

BUT, if you don't try to slow it down, you'll have hospitals overwhelmed, more people being turned away, not enough respirators to accommodate everyone, and get a major culling of the population. That isn't acceptable and it made me a bit angry seeing this idiot championing 'just let it happen', probably because he himself wasn't in the most 'at risk' category, and was more worried about his portfolio.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 14, 2020 18:51

bv
ohmercy61

This is the real truth here. I am in NY and have many friends in the bar and restaurant business. Nights where they make $500 in tips are making $25. One friend closed his high end place. My friend in Nashville in the music business said the artists starting to panic, a non profit venue in my hometown is dark a d they asked tickets be used for something else or a tax deductible donation. We need to realize that we all need to work together on this to keep these artists a d venues viable on the flip side. That said, in a few months I will buy Live Nation stock at $20 and watch it go back to $75.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home