Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 13, 2020 15:04

Sipuncula
JadedFaded
It is vital that everyone take precautions now. ...

... I am a physician currently and a molecular biology scientist in a prior career.
... This thing will blow over ... within a month.

I don't really care if you are a professor or president or physician or molecular expert. You must be a denial expert if you think this will be old news next month.

Please STOP posting here about the annual flu, or other diseases. It is completely irrelevant, and any such posts will be deleted, and those who post such misleading irrelevant items here will be blocked.

If there is a story in CNN, NYTIMES, BBC or similar news sites of international acceptance saying this will blow over in a month, then please post that link (it does not exist). Otherwise just join in on a denial thread on Facebook, as IORR is NOT the place where denial of facts do exist.

This is serious now.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 15:05 by bv.

Date: March 13, 2020 15:20

This graph says it all:

The top of the pink curve (without protection measures) is estimated to be in JUNE. By taking extreme protective measures like they have done in Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan, we may push the peak down and get the grey curve.

How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart by VOX

Bjornulf

Posted by: thistrain9900 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 15:20

Well said Bjornulf! Thank you for being a voice of reason.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: March 13, 2020 15:38

after reading the last few pages of this very large thread, i have decided to distance myself from all media. scare tactic panic is not good for your immune system. yes, the covid19 is real, but just sitting on the internet, tv and watching your phone screen for the latest news or someones comments is a horrible way to spend your day. i love everything about this site, bv is the best around, see ya in 3-4 weeks. im buying a plane ticket to bahamas, stones on the headphones and drinks in hand seems like a nice way to spend some days, maybe i will get stuck down there. plane tickets are mega cheap right now. i purchased $59 round trip to nola in may just last night, peace and love to all things in the world...

Date: March 13, 2020 15:48

1985jayer
after reading the last few pages of this very large thread, i have decided to distance myself from all media. scare tactic panic is not good for your immune system. yes, the covid19 is real, but just sitting on the internet, tv and watching your phone screen for the latest news or someones comments is a horrible way to spend your day. i love everything about this site, bv is the best around, see ya in 3-4 weeks. im buying a plane ticket to bahamas, stones on the headphones and drinks in hand seems like a nice way to spend some days, maybe i will get stuck down there. plane tickets are mega cheap right now. i purchased $59 round trip to nola in may just last night, peace and love to all things in the world...

Good luck...

[ewnews.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 13, 2020 15:51

MisterDDDD
How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart

[www.vox.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:01

[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases
As of 9am on 12 March 2020, 29,764 people have been tested in the UK, of which 29,174 were confirmed negative and 590 were confirmed as positive. Eight patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

- This is for a population of 65million people. Keep your heads screwed on tight.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:13

Today in the U.K.is the last of four days of horse racing they call The Cheltenham Festival which attracts 60,000 + spectators each day.

On the TV and everyone looks as though they are really enjoying it in these tough times.

On this day when all league matches in U.K. have been postponed and many more sport and entertainment activities, it's just nice to know that there is something going on in Europe that is considered to be as safe as humanely possible.

I know Coronavirus is not going to go away just like that, but gotta think positive and know we will eventually get through it. smileys with beer

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:26

The Masters golf tournament (April 9-12) in Augusta Georgia has now been postponed with no definite make-up date yet. In the US all major sports have been cancelled or postponed with the exception of NASCAR (race with no spectators) & WWE Wrestlemania. That's supposed to be in Florida this year. I don't think that one will end up happening & would be surprised if NASCAR continues with their current plan.

[www.espn.com]

Date: March 13, 2020 16:31

& now Record Store Day has been moved to June.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:34

I would never say that media are lying, but they're definitely talking out of their ass at this point. Keeping the calm is vital. No one can say for sure how it will look two months from now. What meaningful measure can you take other than stocking up on household supplies in a civilized manner and avoiding unneccessary crowds? That's right, not visit your granny for the time being. Don't actively search for news, the important part will get to you on it's own merit.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:38

swimtothemoon
Monsoon Ragoon
There will be no North American Tour in 2020 I'm pretty sure. At least not starting in May. With a little luck it will run from July to September and the last announced dates will be the first. Remember 2019?

Maybe, but the reasons behind the likely postponement of this tour are much
different than the situation last year. At this point July seems overly
optimistic and unpredictable.

Of course you are 100% right. The postponements 2019/20 are not comparable. To be honest I was too "optimistic" even yesterday. But, by the way, I think it's pretty strange that the 2020 Stones Tour is officially still "on". You can still purchase tickets although everybody knows that the tour will not happen.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 13, 2020 16:58

Father Ted
[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases
As of 9am on 12 March 2020, 29,764 people have been tested in the UK, of which 29,174 were confirmed negative and 590 were confirmed as positive. Eight patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

- This is for a population of 65million people. Keep your heads screwed on tight.
conservative estimate 10k infected in UK (chief medical officer). Point been made many times above, you can't measure what hasn't been tested yet

Date: March 13, 2020 17:05

Nobody can say how this will look like in two months from now, but we can for sure learn from history. There are still no countries being "free of the corona virus" yet.

China has got the virus since mid November 2019 i.e. for four - 4 - months so far, and are starting to see the curve slowing down after tough measures few other countries in the world are able to follow (including people under control of an app which gives you green, yellow, blue access based on your entire personal movement history).

Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan took immediate action within days, closed flights, tested every person, and have had the virus since early January. If all countries did like these do, we could see the virus slowing down after 2-3 months.

Iran, Italy have big problems because they did not take action in time. The virus multiplied out of control locally. Any other country will have similar numbers if they drag their feet in responding and closing down in a big way in time.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:07

DandelionPowderman
1985jayer
see ya in 3-4 weeks. im buying a plane ticket to bahamas, stones on the headphones and drinks in hand seems like a nice way to spend some days

Good luck...

[ewnews.com]

Being stuck on an island (from which you won't be able to get out of if tshtf) with hardly any health system doesn't seem like a good idea to me... tongue sticking out smiley

Date: March 13, 2020 17:20

dcba
DandelionPowderman
1985jayer
see ya in 3-4 weeks. im buying a plane ticket to bahamas, stones on the headphones and drinks in hand seems like a nice way to spend some days

Good luck...

[ewnews.com]

Being stuck on an island (from which you won't be able to get out of if tshtf) with hardly any health system doesn't seem like a good idea to me... tongue sticking out smiley

Exactly smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:23

yorkshirestone
Father Ted
[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases

conservative estimate 10k infected in UK (chief medical officer). Point been made many times above, you can't measure what hasn't been tested yet

I wonder how in the face of overwhelming evidence, you still get the crowd that will deny there is a problem? What finally, if anything, convinces them?

Maybe if something they know or care for gets sick?

I find it interesting that you get people, even on this thread that make it their mission to try to downplay something that has clearly already arrived.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:35

The number of new casesreported on Wednesday in China fell to 26 out of a1.4 billion people.That is down from a park of 15200 on February 12.Apple has also reopened all its stores.Diesnt sound like a pandemic in China

Date: March 13, 2020 17:36

yorkshirestone
Father Ted
[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases

And now the UK only test people who are already hospitalised, not people with mild symptoms or potentially at early stages. They could be virus bombs out there.

55.000 people at Anfield two days ago. The Athletico-fans straight from a town where it's really spreading.

What is Boris doing exactly?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 17:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:39

My son is in Italy and at 23, he is somewhat in denial, as many still are, especially the younger generation from what I see. As he was pondering the two options he had a few days ago of getting on a plane and risking getting sick or being quarantined or stuck in some random country versus staying put for who knows how long in Italy, his approach was to change the lyrics to "Should I Stay or Should I Go" and go to a recording studio and cut the song with his lyrics. Its somewhere a few pages back in this thread. He also decided to stay put as he is renting a room in a house and he is healthy and safe and has what he needs; food and his guitar.

A couple days prior to that the song would have probably been "Can't touch this"

Here in the US, I have a small software business with 20 people and we deployed half the staff to work from home starting today, the rest will follow by next week. Our clients are banks who deal in debt collections and some are fully engaged in the seriousness of the situation and how its affecting small business and as it relates to their customers and some are just flat unprepared and in denial I think.

Seeing South Korea doing 10K tests a day with drive through testing capabilities is promising when we see their survival rates increase with more realistic numbers based on a better understanding of how many people have been actually getting this specific virus.

Bottom line though is the only answer we all have right now, IMO, and based on the facts and actions were presented, is social distancing.

I've know BV for 20+ years and I've seen how he runs this site with the highest level of integrity and thanks BV for sharing your opinions as many of us also look to you for guidance and news, even when its not just Stones related. What you're seeing and sharing from outside our parts of the world is helpful and reassuring.

I believe this situation will have the larger impact on our US economy than 9/11 or the Great Recession we experienced in 2008, possibly in a much more impactful way than those two prior challenges we faced in business. We also ran a business in LA during the Rodney King trial aftermath and for a week or so that was a similar shutdown mode, but nothing like the manner this is seeming to be heading.

When you think about it... who wants to get in an uber that 10 people before you sat in, and who wants to open the door to a restaurant that 100 people just touched, as while it may not kill you if you get the virus, but if you live with your mom, or you come in contact with a person at risk if they get it, it could send them to a hospital that cant handle the volume of patients if this spreads quickly.

As a Stones fan, I'm bummed it will cancel the tour. I feel we've been living on borrowed time with all the shows they've been doing the past few years, so hopefully they move to their islands, stay isolated and healthy, and come back with a renewed passion and tour behind a new album. I also hope the insurance companies or the promoters or the Stones or a combination of all three will find a way to pay all their employees and contractors who either already were working on the tour or who would have started soon. Every company has to step up for their customers and their employees right now, as we're all in this together.

Stay healthy everyone.

CHELSKEITH

Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:43

Corona.help

Not sure if anyone has posted this website but it seems to be pretty good for information.

Over 70k recovered. There’s some hope. So many undiagnosed is a major concern though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 17:45 by JDSAM1994.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 13, 2020 17:47

DandelionPowderman
yorkshirestone
Father Ted
[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases

And now the UK only test people who are already hospitalised, not people with mild symptoms or potentially at early stages. They could be virus bombs out there.

55.000 people at Anfield two days ago. The Athletico-fans straight from a town where it's really spreading.

A former Health Service boss, Professor John Ashton, in the UK, said today, although he didn't agree with the method, that the plan seemed to be to let the virus spread through the population and concentrate resources on looking after those that got seriously sick - letting the healthy heal and develope immunity themselves - I've got severe emphysema so I'm not sure I like that plan either - we'll see - glad I caught the Stones last year though..............confused smiley

Date: March 13, 2020 17:53

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman
yorkshirestone
Father Ted
[www.gov.uk]

Number of cases

A former Health Service boss, Professor John Ashton, in the UK, said today, although he didn't agree with the method, that the plan seemed to be to let the virus spread through the population and concentrate resources on looking after those that got seriously sick - letting the healthy heal and develope immunity themselves - I've got severe emphysema so I'm not sure I like that plan either - we'll see - glad I caught the Stones last year though..............confused smiley

Yeah, I saw that. Lay low and stay healthy, Eddie.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 13, 2020 18:15

Even with the strictest quarantine/ban measures this virus will not go away within a month or two. And if you want to get rid of it successfuly you need to quarantine every single person who is infected in the world. It's just impossible. Can you imagine worldwide strict quarantine for 2-3 years? Schools closed. Borders closed. Travel restrictions. Factories closed. Theatres and cinemas closed etc. I think at some point we will have to let it go and live with it. Sounds crazy, but there seems to be no other option.

Date: March 13, 2020 18:18

Taylor1
The number of new casesreported on Wednesday in China fell to 26 out of a1.4 billion people.That is down from a park of 15200 on February 12.Apple has also reopened all its stores.Diesnt sound like a pandemic in China

Although it is a blessing in this case, China can revert to draconian measures to enforce quarantine, etc. For all intents & purposes they live under martial law under normal circumstances. Although Italy has taken much needed measures, mostly the west won't be able to take the same steps. Some fairly drastic measures are being taken in Seattle where I live, it isn't enough. I suspect there are more to come if the current trend of infected numbers doubling every 2 days. More sacrifices will need to be made. We just need to make sure that most of them are temporary due to the situation. If it turns out that the Seattle area needs to be cutoff for awhile, so be it. It is probably too late to stop the spread entirely though. People continuing to bury their heads in the sand isn't going to do any good.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 13, 2020 18:25

Apple today announced that its Worldwide Developers Conference (June 2020) will be a digital-only event with no physical gathering. Apple normally holds WWDC at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California, but the area has seen multiple coronavirus cases and Apple is canceling the physical event as it is unknown if the infection will still be an issue in the summer months. -- [www.Apple.com] .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 13, 2020 18:44

Don't come to France!

Our officials are still kinda hush hush about it but apparently we're on the same (crashing) course as Italy. It seems we handled the epidemic just as "well" as our Italian neightbours... therefore the Corona is just about to break big here.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 13, 2020 18:56

May seem like a petty thing with of all that we're facing, but is it OK to go to the Gym? What I've read is that it's OK if you sanitize your hands after each time you use equipment and keep a safe distance form people, (Don't to go a work out class). Any opinions on this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 19:00 by ryanpow.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2020 19:00

franzk
Even with the strictest quarantine/ban measures this virus will not go away within a month or two. And if you want to get rid of it successfuly you need to quarantine every single person who is infected in the world. It's just impossible. Can you imagine worldwide strict quarantine for 2-3 years? Schools closed. Borders closed. Travel restrictions. Factories closed. Theatres and cinemas closed etc. I think at some point we will have to let it go and live with it. Sounds crazy, but there seems to be no other option.

Well, you're right to some degree. Mitigation and 'flattening the curve' as it's becoming fashionable to say, means that the best hope now is to not overwhelm the health systems of individual countries, as has been the Italian example.

And not to get negative, but I think the measures being taken place in Canada and the US, while a start, is vastly under-reacting to the problem.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 13, 2020 19:02

I'm still buying concerts tickets which shows could be cancelled, today I'm getting a ticket to Herman's Hermits September show and if it does get cancelled I've still got a hard copy ticket and promo poster to frame

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home