Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 12, 2020 23:55

That sounds like we're looking at a sort of chicken game where both the Stones and the promoters wait for the other to move

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:04

Nikkei
That sounds like we're looking at a sort of chicken game where both the Stones and the promoters wait for the other to move

In this case it has nothing to do with the promoters. They are not the ones in a position to make a final decision. If they postpone the tour before it begins there will be limited financial losses incurred on either side. It's a difficult dilemma to be facing having to postpone a major stadium tour without the ability to know when the dates can be rescheduled. Unlike what happened last summer, it's not possible to simply offer a new set of make-up dates without knowing what the situation will be like in 3 or 6 months. The most likely scenario is they will cancel the tour as it stands with new dates to be determined later, and offer refunds to those who wish and announce new dates when they are confident they can do so. This will be the same with other artists such as Pearl Jam and Billie Eilish who are also facing tour cancellations. I think we will have an announcement within a week or two so stay tuned.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 00:54 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:27

Next one Belgium: Belgium closes all cafés, restaurants and discos because of the coronavirus. Schools will stop teaching, all sports and cultural events will be cancelled.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:28

TornAndFried
Nikkei

In this case it has nothing to do with the promoters. They are not the ones in a position to make a final decision. This type of situation is covered by tour insurance so there will be limited financial losses incurred on either side. It's a difficult dilemma to be facing having to postpone a major stadium tour without the ability to know when the dates can be rescheduled. Unlike what happened last summer, it's not possible to simply offer a new set of make-up dates without knowing what the situation will be like in 3 or 6 months. The most likely scenario is they will cancel the tour as it stands with new dates to be determined later, and offer refunds to those who wish and announce new dates when they are confident they can do so. This will be the same with other artists such as Pearl Jam and Billie Eilish who are also facing tour cancellations. I think we will have an announcement within a week or two so stay tuned.

Disagree.
Live Nation (promoter) is instructing a lot of tours to prepare for a pause..
"Recognizing national concerns over the spread of the coronavirus, Live Nation is instructing its touring shows to prepare to return home, Billboard has learned. The announcement affects all Live Nation tours, domestically and internationally."
[www.billboard.com]

And this article also explains the potential difference between a band pulling the plug or the promoters and the unlikely possibility that a pandemic is covered by insurance.

"Of the two types of music insurance available — promoters’ insurance and artists’ insurance — the former typically does not include pandemics in the first place, and the latter is also usually too restrictive to cover disease-related scheduling changes that don’t come from an artist’s personal health issues, sources say. To stem any doubt, many insurers also wrote a specific coronavirus exclusion into new policies as the coronavirus outbreak began to spread globally earlier this year.
[www.rollingstone.com]

If a city bans events, perhaps that opens a new avenue for insurance claims, but I would guess that would be just for that city. And with no one really able to tell what's going to be going on ban wise in May and June, I'm sure it gets complicated.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:33

Monsoon Ragoon
There will be no North American Tour in 2020 I'm pretty sure. At least not starting in May. With a little luck it will run from July to September and the last announced dates will be the first. Remember 2019?

Maybe, but the reasons behind the likely postponement of this tour are much
different than the situation last year. At this point July seems overly
optimistic and unpredictable.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:47

San Diego County Just issued a prohibition of all gatherings of more than 250 people through the end of March. Www.coronavirus-SD.com

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:47

Just seen on the BBC news that manager of U.K. Premier League team Arsenal has tested positive for Coronavirus and that will put the rest of the U.K. top flight league playing or not playing for the rest of the season.

On a more personal note, I went to visit my dear old 93 year old Mum at her Care Home in Epsom she is in ,this afternoon.
Only able to speak to reception on intercom and could only visit for essential reasons,so basically till further notice all the 75 residents are isolated from their family and friends.
They are told they have had visitors but it must be hard to understand when you have dementia and look forward to visitors.

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 13, 2020 00:58

Here's what I'm thinking. There will be no announcement on Stones tour until April. If things get better,tour goes on.If things get worse, then you get cancelation. I think the next 2 weeks are going to show what's going on with the virus..

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:01

JadedFaded
San Diego County Just issued a prohibition of all gatherings of more than 250 people through the end of March. Www.coronavirus-SD.com

BC just did the same.. 7 tests came back positive for the virus today.
The news came just twenty minutes after they had a news conference stating public events would continue. [twitter.com]

There goes my hopes for the Vancouver gig turning into a pay-per-view.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:11

crawdaddy
Just seen on the BBC news that manager of U.K. Premier League team Arsenal has tested positive for Coronavirus and that will put the rest of the U.K. top flight league playing or not playing for the rest of the season.

On a more personal note, I went to visit my dear old 93 year old Mum at her Care Home in Epsom she is in ,this afternoon.
Only able to speak to reception on intercom and could only visit for essential reasons,so basically till further notice all the 75 residents are isolated from their family and friends.
They are told they have had visitors but it must be hard to understand when you have dementia and look forward to visitors.

- Would imagine whole squad would need to isolate, knock on effect on fixtures and season therefore large, suspension rather than closed door games
- that's a sad story re your mum, let's hope it works and keeps her and her co-residents safe, but that's a tough one for you and the other families - take care

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:23

Play your Stones cd's/ records/ and downloads. That's the only way you will be able to listen to them for some time. Here in Toronto all bedlam broke loose with schools being cancelled in the whole province of Ontario for next 3 weeks. Line ups to grocery stores as I write this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:29

ABC news ... 9am -- 13 March 2020 ……

No spectators at Melbourne Gran-Prix at this stage ….
Meetings in place to decide if Grand Prix will be cancelled

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:39

Also in San Diego County: “Additionally, the public health officer issued a directive to implement aggressive visitor restrictions for the following: hospitals providing acute, in-patient care; long-term care facilities; skilled nursing facilities; and other residential facilities.“. These restrictions along with the prohibition against gatherings of 250 people or more “will remain in effect at least through the end of March.“ www.cornonavirus-SD.com

Date: March 13, 2020 01:45

James Blunt played in Hamburg in the Elbphilharmonie - the venue was empty because of the coronavirus. Fans could watch it on the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 01:48 by MAF.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:45

AEG (Stones North American Promoter since 2013) is following Live Nation as expected, thus far this appears to be all events through the end of March only. No specific word on the Stones tour.

Pollstar
12 March 2020
[www.pollstar.com]

Live Nation, AEG, Major Agencies Form Task Force, Recommend Suspending Large Events
By: Francisco Rendon

Update
As expected, Billie Eilish, Lynyrd Skynyrd and many others have postponed full legs of their March tours. Numerous reports indicate all Live Nation and AEG arena dates in March will be suspended.

Previously
The titans of North America’s live music industry are aligning to figure out how to tackle the numerous challenges arising as the world tries to combat the spread of COVID-19.

A task force has been formed to “drive strategic support and unified direction ensuring precautionary efforts and ongoing protocol are in the best interest of artists, fans, staff, and the global community,” according to an announcement March 12.

The task force’s membership is as follows: Michael Rapino (CEO and President, Live Nation Entertainment), Dan Beckerman (President and CEO, AEG & Board Member, ASM Global), Jay Marciano (Chairman and CEO, AEG Presents), Rob Light (Managing Partner and Head of the Music Division, CAA), Marc Geiger (Partner and Head of Music, WME), Sam Gores (Chairman, Paradigm), Marty Diamond (Head of Global Music, Paradigm), and David Zedeck (Global Head Of Music, UTA).

The announcement, provided by Live Nation, said “At this time, we collectively recommend large scale events through the end of March be postponed. We continue to support that small scale events follow guidance set by their local government officials. We feel fortunate to have the flexibility to reschedule concerts, festivals, and live events as needed, and look forward to connecting fans with all their favorite artists and live entertainment soon.”

This news follows an article published by Billboard citing an internal Live Nation communication informing employees all arena tours would be suspended until the end of March. That article also says Live Nation informed staff it will not have any layoffs and employees were asked to work from home.

According to the New York Times, AEG will also be suspending arena tours. Pollstar has reached out AEG to understand whether the company will be postponing all arena tours.

If Live Nation and AEG are suspending large gatherings, this would mean most large shows outside of independent festivals would be canceled for the month of March.

Deadspin also reported that CAA employees have been told to work from home.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 01:48 by mnewman505.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:48

Our boys should cancel it all asap . Things are not getting better. IMHO.-
So sorry for the fans...confused smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 13, 2020 01:59

MAF
James Blunt played in Hamburg in the Elbphilharmonie - the venue was empty because of the coronavirus. Fans could watch it on the internet.

Do we really believe that’s why it was empty >grinning smiley<

Nate

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:02

… Maybe all Blunt's fans had to attend primary school …

ROCKMAN

Date: March 13, 2020 02:03

Mikel Arteta: Arsenal manager tests positive for coronavirus. The next game had been called off. (source: BBC)
Soccer matches cancelled: Major League Soccer (US), Spain, Italy, Netherlands.
Real Madrid under quarantine.

Another continent, another event has been cancelled: The Australian Grand Prix has been called off after teams and drivers forced the hand of Formula 1's bosses.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 02:18 by MAF.

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:06

here in chicago, our mayor and governor are strongly discouraging any events of 250 people or more from being held for at least the next 30 days. as bad as i feel over the probability of the tour being cancelled or postponed, and though i sympathize with all the sports fans who will not have their entertainment, i really feel for all those who have had large weddings planned for a year or more who will have to rethink their special day. bummer!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:09

The National Basketball Association has cancelled their season. The National Hockey League has suspended play. Major League Baseball has cancelled spring training and delayed Opening Day for at least two weeks. College basketball has cancelled some games and plan to play others without an audience in attendance. NASCAR will race without an audience. Disneyland and Universal Studios theme parks in California are closing for two weeks. Broadway will be closing for a month. Some daytime TV talk shows have begun airing episodes without a live audience, and apparently the late night talk shows will follow suit next week.

The National Football League has not announced any cancellations or delays yet that I am aware of. Saturday Night Live has the week off this week but I expect they will follow suit of other TV shows with audiences and go audience-free or end the season prematurely.

A lot of additional people will be hurting apart from the direct health threat the virus poses. Many people are going to lose their jobs and their places to live. I know many actors are barely getting by and a month without work in a place like New York City might as well be a year. People who work as custodians, vendors, security, ect. at concerts and sporting events will also be hurting badly without the work they were counting on.

I don't think the American people were reassured by the recent address from a prominent American politician that all will be well. The fact that a national state of emergency has not been declared is complicating things on an insurance level, yet these very high-profile events are still being cancelled, delayed, or going on without audiences.

As things currently stand and the pace it is apparently accelerating, I personally can't see any scenario where the Stones 2020 summer tour continues as currently planned.

I hope I'm wrong and that things will level out and get better soon.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:13

Nikkei

Yes. Ultimately, what may force a decision are state laws/edicts against large gatherings.

Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:28

In my opinion the band will do what is best for fans, crew, venue workers and themselves. This will probably be a bittersweet decision but an easy one. Too much to risk so just move on.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:34

message from Patterson Hood of Drive-by Truckers to the fans:

Y’all,

It pains us greatly (more than you can imagine) to have to postpone shows we’ve all been looking forward to for literal months.

Due to the unprecedented situation we all find ourselves in right now, it would be irresponsible and possibly detrimental to everyone’s health and happiness to proceed as planned and DBT will be postponing all dates from March 12th-April 4th. We will work on rescheduling as many as humanly possible for as soon as this shit is over so hang on to your tickets. We will have more information on rescheduled dates and on the run from April 16th-May 2nd in the coming days.

Thank you to all of our beloved Heathens as well as our amazing crew and the unbelievable hard work of management and our agent and all the people who make the wheels on the bus go round and round.

We historically almost never postpone shows but the thought of inadvertently hurting anyone is unacceptable. We will make it up the best we can.

In the meantime, stay home as much as possible, love your people and wash your hands.

See you at the rescheduled Rock Show.
Much Love,
DBT

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:41

Sipuncula
JadedFaded
It is vital that everyone take precautions now. Most people are not taking even simple precautions. At the gym, I see few people washing their hands for 20 seconds. These simple precautions are needed before there are many known cases in an area. otherwise, we won’t “flatten the curve” and health systems will be overwhelmed. Everything Bjornulf has said is completely true.

Sorry, JadedFaded, I don't mean to single you out, but I feel I need to chime in just once. I don't have the time and energy to make a long post about it, but Will everybody please stop freaking out? This hysteria is ridiculous. Before I get accused of being a "science denier" or some other BS, for the record, I am a physician currently and a molecular biology scientist in a prior career. I see sick patients in the hospital and in the clinic on a daily basis. The economic impact of this journalistic and local government malpractice will be devastating and needs to stop. This thing will blow over and the news cycle will move on to the next "sky is falling" story within a month. If the Stones bow in and cancel the tour, I will be disappointed for sure, and that is an understatement. It may not be up to them, as local governments are doing stupid things and may prevent them from playing even if they wanted to. There is a systemic problem here, and it is not the Coronavirus.

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This is in the US alone.

Just use common sense, people. Because if we freaked out about the flu every year we wouldn't be able to leave the house from October to March. It would be funny how this isn't pointed out in the media if it wasn't so tragic for the thousands of people who will lose their jobs due to the economic devastation of hype and political nonsense.

I agree 100%, all this hype is getting out of control. US currently has around 1,300 cases, even if that number were to triple, or even increase tenfold, this is a country of 325,000,000+ inhabitants, please keep those numbers in perspective! If everyone uses common sense precautions chances of catching the virus are minimal at best here.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2020 03:01

Events with over 250 people now cancelled in BC...that would mean that the Stones show in Vancouver wouldn't go forward, unless it were lifted before then.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 13, 2020 03:03

Thru and Thru
Sipuncula
JadedFaded
It is vital that everyone take precautions now. Most people are not taking even simple precautions. At the gym, I see few people washing their hands for 20 seconds. These simple precautions are needed before there are many known cases in an area. otherwise, we won’t “flatten the curve” and health systems will be overwhelmed. Everything Bjornulf has said is completely true.

Sorry, JadedFaded, I don't mean to single you out, but I feel I need to chime in just once. I don't have the time and energy to make a long post about it, but Will everybody please stop freaking out? This hysteria is ridiculous. Before I get accused of being a "science denier" or some other BS, for the record, I am a physician currently and a molecular biology scientist in a prior career. I see sick patients in the hospital and in the clinic on a daily basis. The economic impact of this journalistic and local government malpractice will be devastating and needs to stop. This thing will blow over and the news cycle will move on to the next "sky is falling" story within a month. If the Stones bow in and cancel the tour, I will be disappointed for sure, and that is an understatement. It may not be up to them, as local governments are doing stupid things and may prevent them from playing even if they wanted to. There is a systemic problem here, and it is not the Coronavirus.

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This is in the US alone.

Just use common sense, people. Because if we freaked out about the flu every year we wouldn't be able to leave the house from October to March. It would be funny how this isn't pointed out in the media if it wasn't so tragic for the thousands of people who will lose their jobs due to the economic devastation of hype and political nonsense.

I agree 100%, all this hype is getting out of control. US currently has around 1,300 cases, even if that number were to triple, or even increase tenfold, this is a country of 325,000,000+ inhabitants, please keep those numbers in perspective! If everyone uses common sense precautions chances of catching the virus are minimal at best here.
In2010,60million Americansgotthe swine flu and eleven thousand nine hundred died,including 1100 children.Yet the United States stock market went straight up and nothing closed or shut down.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 13, 2020 03:04

Agreed @Sipuncula great post.

Seems like we are only allowed to go to work soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 03:06 by rebelhipi.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 13, 2020 03:05

MAF

I've never forgiven him for keeping ABB from being a number one album.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 13, 2020 03:06

This is serious. The members of the band, America, cancelled a show in Huntington, WV on March 12 for fear that the virus could spread from one person to another in the theatre. I wanted to see them but I think they did the right thing.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home