Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 9, 2020 21:27

There are literally dozens of sporting events every day in the US with crowds of over 10,000, NHL, NBA, baseball spring training. I'm watching the Phillies play the Yankees in Clearwater on TV, with a sold out stadium, people sitting shoulder to shoulder, not a mask in sight. The baseball season is not going to be cancelled, a couple of hundred thousand people together at the games, eating, going to the restrooms, every night of the week. Life is not stopping, despite what you see on TV.

Mickschick, I got your irony about the media not stirring panic, I meant it was funny of >them< to claim otherwise, I knew you weren't.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 9, 2020 21:37

wonderboy
Please remember that if you sell your stocks today you are locking in your losses. Smart investors make money in these markets. Always think about who benefits from panic.

It might not be that simple...

"Problem with dip-buying in this kind of market (with these still-too-high levels of valuation) is the dip buyers eventually run out of cash to buy, the stocks they bought fall again (below their purchase prices) & then they too have to sell. And this time - there's no dip buyers" - Fred Hickey
[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-09 21:51 by dcba.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 9, 2020 21:58

^ Dude is it really impossible to discuss this without the political crap?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 9, 2020 22:00

Here's the origins of the "germ" quote:

Germs

Judge for yourselves and look at the date.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 9, 2020 22:08

wonderboy
Please remember that if you sell your stocks today you are locking in your losses. Smart investors make money in these markets. Always think about who benefits from panic.

The S&P500 is where it was last June. The NASDAQ is still higher than where it was for much of last year. After a record 11-year bull market, the bubble was due to burst at some point anyway. A 40-50% drop is not unlikely, so be careful of the dead-cat bounces (i.e. rallies).

Date: March 9, 2020 22:14

schwonek
TheflyingDutchman
This site shows a 5 minutes update regarding the Coronavirus COVID-19 statistics, worldwide.

[www.worldometers.info]

It says 1.191 cases in Germany and 18 recovered. I don't know where these number are from. But I personally know of a group of 27 people that recovered. These days there is a new statistic every five minutes.

I do not rely on statistics but rather on common sense: Wash your hands, watch our for the people with low immune system, stay at home when sick and only go to work when you are healthy!

[www.worldometers.info]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 9, 2020 22:24

DeanGoodman
wonderboy

The S&P500 is where it was last June. The NASDAQ is still higher than where it was for much of last year. After a record 11-year bull market, the bubble was due to burst at some point anyway. A 40-50% drop is not unlikely, so be careful of the dead-cat bounces (i.e. rallies).

Agreed the market was overvalued anyway. It was around 17k around 2016 and in 2009 it was 8k points circa 2009. We need to see what happens ithe next 3-4 weeks with respect to the Corona Virus and how it impacts the movement (supply chain) of goods. I got out of the market at 17k - the bulk of my stocks were in oil and other toxic stocks. i made money but not as much as I should.

Well, if this virus blows over then I will enter the market again. But it will have to be quickly because the market will jump up back to 26k and hold steady once consumer confidence returns and virus is nothing more than a virus and not a pandemic disrupting the economy.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 9, 2020 22:28

I followed the NYSE news at opening this morning, as they stopped trading for 15 minutes when they dropped below 7% down. Funny thing the CNN experts said 15% of all worldwide stock companies can't even afford to pay their interests. It is probably time for a little bit of shaking of the apple tree. As soon as Saudia Arabia and Russia start talking the oil price will be back up.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 9, 2020 23:07

bv
I followed the NYSE news at opening this morning, as they stopped trading for 15 minutes when they dropped below 7% down. Funny thing the CNN experts said 15% of all worldwide stock companies can't even afford to pay their interests. It is probably time for a little bit of shaking of the apple tree. As soon as Saudia Arabia and Russia start talking the oil price will be back up.

I might need to consider more funding of my own retirement than this Stones. confused smiley

Date: March 9, 2020 23:24

In Europe things are getting out of hand very quickly. This will be an event we will remember for a long time I am afraid. Never seen anything like this. In Europe the SARS, Zika, Swine Flu etc where all much different. I am getting scared to be honest.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 9, 2020 23:58

Italy lockdown to entire country...

[www.ft.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 9, 2020 23:59

PaintMonkeyManBlack
In Europe things are getting out of hand very quickly. This will be an event we will remember for a long time I am afraid. Never seen anything like this. In Europe the SARS, Zika, Swine Flu etc where all much different. I am getting scared to be honest.

The Italian numbers are quite shocking actually. Up another 1800 cases today the pace is accelerating while South Korea it's decreasing.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:09

treaclefingers
The Italian numbers are quite shocking actually. Up another 1800 cases today the pace is accelerating while South Korea it's decreasing.

I just hope that it means: once there is a peak, the pace will decrease.

Date: March 10, 2020 00:11

schwonek
treaclefingers

I just hope that it means: once there is a peak, the pace will decrease.

I believe the only reason it would decrease, is because aggressive measures are being taken. The virus doesn't just 'give up'. That's why northern Italy is in lockdown.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:12

Paris St-Germain's Champions League last-16 match against Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday will be played behind closed doors because of coronavirus.
BBC

The St Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin draws nearly 500,000 people and it is the latest in a series of large public events to be cancelled.
Irish Times

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-10 00:24 by MAF.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:29

Based on what I am experiencing here in Italy, I would be quite surprised if the tour happens

C

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:50

One very important reason why big events in any affected country might all have to be postponed or cancelled is all the volunteer medical staff that are required to be in attendance at these events will probably be giving their time to overstretched health systems.

Nate

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: March 10, 2020 00:52

Boston just cancelled their St. Patrick's Day parade..

Date: March 10, 2020 00:54

ah...now all of Italy is in lockdown:

[news.sky.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:01

Hate to say it but my guess is the Stones are looking at any options they may have to postpone or cancel the tour. Certainly they don’t want to go through rehearsals then begin the tour and have many of the dates cancelled by the local authorities.
Cancelling now would be to early but we should certainly see indicators by mid April if the tour is proceeding.

Mick is probably doing interviews to promote his new movie so maybe someone will
ask him?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:14

Just as a reminder, they are all in their mid seventies and two of the four are
cancer survivors. Just last year Mick had heart surgery. This would put them in a high risk group and there will not be a vaccine anytime soon.

When traveling they encounter many people and many hotels. There assistants and
staff interact with even more people. A couple of the band members bring their
families on tour as well.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:22

kv2915
Boston just cancelled their St. Patrick's Day parade..

San Francisco as well

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:47

I wonder if they could move those May dates to Aug and close before NFL preseason?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 10, 2020 02:03

IMHO the smartest thing for The Rolling Stones to do would be to postpone the Tour for one year.

It's being held in a country with even worse abilities to test the general population than even Iran, so there's no real way to prevent the epidemic spreading.

(Unlike South Korea where they have the ability to test huge numbers and act appropriately on the basis of informed decisions.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 10, 2020 02:19

kv2915
I wonder if they could move those May dates to Aug and close before NFL preseason?[/quote

Yes they can move it to late summer and fall no problem. They can schedule around football, baseball or anything else. Like they have e done now for 60 years.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 10, 2020 02:20

wonderboy

Been sitting in FDIC insured CDs for a year. When Dow hits 16,000 I will reconsider. The economic shockwaves just starting. Lowest 10 year rates EVER.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 10, 2020 02:48

3 new cases of CV reported in Southern California. The Coachella Festival will likely be cancelled/postponed until October. Followed by New Orleans Jazz Festival. The likelihood of the Stones tour going ahead is 50/50 at this point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-10 05:22 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 10, 2020 02:58

TornAndFried
3 new cases of CV reported in Southern California. The Coachella Festival will be cancelled next week. Followed by NO Jazz Festival

So this is you opinion or something you have heard from a reliable source?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 10, 2020 03:00

The school district that I teach in here in Georgia is going to be closed tomorrow because of this virus.

There's a Twitter thread going around right now that purports to be from someone working in the medical field in Italy, and it's sobering. I'm not linking it because it is from a Twitter user and not a verified and approved legitimate news source.

If the Twitter thread referenced above is real, I imagine a news organization will be reporting on it or something similar in the not-too-distant future. Suffice it to say that conditions in Italian hospitals is not sounding pleasant.

Date: March 10, 2020 03:14

daspyknows
wonderboy

Been sitting in FDIC insured CDs for a year. When Dow hits 16,000 I will reconsider. The economic shockwaves just starting. Lowest 10 year rates EVER.

I've had a short position for awhile now, and losing money. A bittersweet sigh of relief. Nice to finally be right, but not for this reason, I just presumed this aging bull was going to topple on its own.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home