Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ernie Watts!
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: February 27, 2020 15:33

Listening to Hampton 81 on my commute and couldn't help think how cool his horn would sound in a stadium on this tour. Yes, the Stones music is not as loose as in '81 but I would still love to hear him live again. I really like Karl Denson as well.

If they can play with Taylor again then anything is possible.

Re: Ernie Watts!
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 27, 2020 17:51

"no relation to Charlie Watts"!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:33

His playing is Lovely. He is interplay is so good with the band on songs like Imagination. However, I think it's good that they mixed in enough songs without him so that it was still a Stones Show.

Also, Ernie just seems like a cool down to earth guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-27 21:33 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:37

I’m not musical at all, but to me I’d rather hear Bobby Keyes over both. There is someting on the sound of the 1981 concerts it seems to me it has something to do with the sax, I don’t like very much. I can’t explain it the good way. But that tour sounds different to every tour before or since. It’s not that I don’t like it at all, but it’s not as special to me as other tours.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:44

Ernie is a great sax player, used to play with Doc Severinson's band on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
On Hampton, I actually don't care for his solo on Waiting On A Friend, much prefer the original with Sonny Rollins.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 28, 2020 01:05

Ernie just played two house down with Corky Siegel (yeas, of Siegel Schwall) last Saturday. Quite a to do.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 12:38

IMO, by far the best sax player they've had on stage: he wrote his own parts melting with the songs lovely. Not just a blower like Bobby Keys who never dared to change a note, in 30 years. I appreciate Karl Denson, too but the group is not allowing the saxophonist any spot now. Bye, Luca

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2020 12:52

1963luca0
IMO, by far the best sax player they've had on stage: he wrote his own parts melting with the songs lovely.

Yes! In 1982 Gene Barge wasn't half as good as Ernie.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 15:54

DGA35
Ernie is a great sax player, used to play with Doc Severinson's band on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
On Hampton, I actually don't care for his solo on Waiting On A Friend, much prefer the original with Sonny Rollins.
Doc Severinson! That's a name I haven't thought about in a long time...he's still alive (92 years old).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home