Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

semi - OT - interview with Sonny Rollins, some Stones content
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 26, 2020 13:32

[www.nytimes.com]

I enjoyed reading this, from one of the great musicians of our time. A lot of interesting comments from Sonny Rollins.

Re: semi - OT - interview with Sonny Rollins, some Stones content
Date: February 26, 2020 15:56

Yes Duke, that's a great interview from a very fascinating musician. These Jazz giants - their music runs so deep, and their message, that it is a given that they are also incredible personalities, who reel you in.
IMO, at least, there is no way that you could be so intense in your music, and not match it on all other levels.
He doesn't sound too impressed with the Stones, LOL. I love it when non-Stones fans equate Micky Jagga with the whole band. "Micky Jagga? Oh yeah, they pretty good, right?"

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: February 26, 2020 16:49

[Stones related part of Sonny Rollins interview]

This is slightly random, but I’ve never seen you talk in much detail about when you played on a Rolling Stones album.

Rollins played on the band’s 1981 album “Tattoo You,” including on the hit single “Waiting on a Friend.”
How was trying to fit into their music? Mick Jagger, I don’t think he understood what I was doing, and I didn’t understand what he was doing.
My wife Lucille and Sonny Rollins had been married 39 years at the time of her death in 2004. She had been his manager since 1971.
was the one that persuaded me to do that recording. I said: “Man, the Rolling Stones. I don’t want to do any record with the Rolling Stones.”
I’d considered them — and it’s faulty — not on the level of jazz. But my wife said, “No, no, you must do it.” So I said,
“OK, let me see if I can relate to what they are doing; let me see if I can make it sound as good as possible.”

Could you? Not really. I know they’re a very popular rock band, but they were derivative of a lot of black bands, right? Isn’t that what they do?

Well, yeah. Right. It might be wrong for me to feel that way because I do like a lot of white artists. I like the Beatles.
Paul McCartney is a good tunesmith. But the Rolling Stones, I didn’t relate to them because I thought they were just derivative of black blues.
I do remember once I was in the supermarket up in Hudson, New York, and they were playing Top 40 records. I heard this song and thought,
Who’s that guy? His playing struck a chord in me. Then I said, “Wait a minute, that’s me!” It was my playing on one of those Rolling Stones records.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: February 26, 2020 17:03

Thank you so much Sir Duke, excellent interview!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 26, 2020 18:33

That’s a great interview.

He really is on a different level than the Stones. He’s a rare transcendent figure in American music. Even his complimentary take on McCartney is kind of left-handed, a pat on the head: a “tunesmith.” Like what Michelangelo might say of a great woodworker.

Anyways, I’ve always loved his contributions on Tattoo You. My favorite might be the moment in “Neighbors” (2:09) where he briefly goes outside the key. He reels it back in, resolving the tension. Such a cool move, and, for him, probably effortless.

But it’s not a sound you often hear in rock or blues. Fusion guys like Scott Henderson do it all the time now. Best in small doses!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 26, 2020 20:37

Great interview, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 26, 2020 20:55

Sonny was good but Charlie Parker and Stan Getz are my fav's.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 26, 2020 21:55

McCartney is kind of left-handed

I see what you did there, Mel thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 27, 2020 00:43

Ridiculous comment,Stonesare derivative of black music”.Yes ,they have been strongly influenced by black music.But is Moonlight Mile,Dead Flowers ,Ruby Tuesday,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,HTW,and many others derivative of black music? And jazzis then by that logic derivative of European music,since the sax ,trumpet ,piano,bass,organ, guitar the scales ,and language of music were invented by Europeans.Music is universal.As Tim Rice said,Jagger /Richards are amongst the greatest composers of the 20th century.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: February 27, 2020 19:23

Bill Wyman has said often time it was the entire band that developed the songs and members did not receive credit. Jagger/Richards took the credit. Mick Taylor had those blues as well. Bill Wyman siad other bamds always do that not The Rolling Stones. So crediting them as thr greatest song writi g duo seems a strech. You mention3d Moon Light Mile that I habe reaf MT had a major influence in.. But its just what I have read. I'm a fsn tbat reads a lot!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 27, 2020 20:51

Taylor1
Ridiculous comment,Stonesare derivative of black music”.Yes ,they have been strongly influenced by black music.But is Moonlight Mile,Dead Flowers ,Ruby Tuesday,You Can’t Always Get What You Want,HTW,and many others derivative of black music? And jazzis then by that logic derivative of European music,since the sax ,trumpet ,piano,bass,organ, guitar the scales ,and language of music were invented by Europeans.Music is universal.As Tim Rice said,Jagger /Richards are amongst the greatest composers of the 20th century.

yeah Mr. Rollins seemed to realize it was unfair to characterize the Stones that way. I think a little of the resentment many jazz players have toward rich rock stars was getting in his comments there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home