Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Who owns Spotify
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 24, 2020 18:31

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Who owns Spotify
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2020 18:43

Speaking of industry incestuousness, I suggest you read more about Tencent’s 9.1 percent stakeholding in Spotify, which is awe-inspiring in its spider’s web of vested interests. The short version: Tencent Holdings is about to own 10 percent of Universal, which in turns owns around 3.5 percent in Spotify, which in turn owns around nine percent in Tencent Music Entertainment, which in turn is part-owned by Universal’s two main rivals (Warner and Sony), but remains majority owned by Tencent Holdings, which in turn owns 9.1 percent of Spotify. (And, yes, no kidding, that’s the short version.)

Do that many people pay money for Spotify for these figures, "$550 million (for 2.3 percent) and $1.75 billion (for 7.3 percent), based on a median annual Spotify market cap of $23.95 billion.", to be real?

That's absurd. People don't want to buy music anymore, they want to lease it, and apparently there is a ton of money in leasing music.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 19:19

GasLightStreet
Speaking of industry incestuousness, I suggest you read more about Tencent’s 9.1 percent stakeholding in Spotify, which is awe-inspiring in its spider’s web of vested interests. The short version: Tencent Holdings is about to own 10 percent of Universal, which in turns owns around 3.5 percent in Spotify, which in turn owns around nine percent in Tencent Music Entertainment, which in turn is part-owned by Universal’s two main rivals (Warner and Sony), but remains majority owned by Tencent Holdings, which in turn owns 9.1 percent of Spotify. (And, yes, no kidding, that’s the short version.)

Do that many people pay money for Spotify for these figures, "$550 million (for 2.3 percent) and $1.75 billion (for 7.3 percent), based on a median annual Spotify market cap of $23.95 billion.", to be real?

That's absurd. People don't want to buy music anymore, they want to lease it, and apparently there is a ton of money in leasing music.

89% of people listen to music through streaming.

It is convenient and people are able to listen to a wider variety of music. I like streaming although the amount paid to artists sucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-25 19:21 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 25, 2020 19:35

No interest in spotify. I can stream from my own cloud collection if I so desire.

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: February 25, 2020 21:34

I buy music and stream it. I have a large vinyl and CD collection.

There's no easier way to discover new music and/or try something out before you buy it.
One downfall may be that you don't give as much time to something that doesn't grab you right away but I've also listening to some things recommended to me that I didn't like and would never like so $$ saved.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: February 26, 2020 02:57

I prefer vinyl then CD. I still love the smell of old record jackets and designs, taking the record out and putting it on the turntable. Ah, the sound of those initial pops and crackles before the first tune starts brings back a flood of memories.

Analog over digital, baby.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: February 26, 2020 06:31

I love spotify I listen to music ever night at work its great.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 26, 2020 13:34

GasLightStreet
People don't want to buy music anymore, they want to lease it, and apparently there is a ton of money in leasing music.

Unfortunately not for the artists.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 26, 2020 14:59

WelshEdge1
GasLightStreet

89% of people listen to music through streaming.

It is convenient and people are able to listen to a wider variety of music. I like streaming although the amount paid to artists sucks.

Agree. I've discovered loads of new bands I would never have been able to hear if we still relied on physical shops and online retailers for all of our music.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 26, 2020 18:06

Here's another link regarding revenue from streaming. You just know the artists aren't sharing in all of this.

[www.musicbusinessworldwide.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 27, 2020 03:17

Koen
GasLightStreet
People don't want to buy music anymore, they want to lease it, and apparently there is a ton of money in leasing music.

Unfortunately not for the artists.

Right, the reference is only to... whoever, Wall Street.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home