Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 26, 2020 21:25

panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar
I am a longtime Ozzy fan and gave a few available songs a listen. There might be something good in there, but the amount of effects used on the vocals makes it unlistenable for me.

did you feel the same about the album ozzmosis? "I just want you" and "ghost behind my eyes" just for starters have some notes that are digitally pitched to a really high to the point it sounds like a robotic computer voice

That isn't my favorite album of his either, but I do enjoy it. I always felt that the production on it was a bit too slick and that it would have benefited from a leaner approach. I don't think it sounds as over-processed as the new album. I also think the songwriter on it is a lot stronger, which can overcome other issues.

To be clear I wasn't trying to knock anyone, just sharing my own opinion. We all of our own unique tastes.

Ozzmosis (recorded before autotune was introduced) certainly is an excellent album, underrated, I'd say. It does have a wash of production effects and all, but they serve a purpose. It has an amazing drummer on it plus, of course, Geezer Butler on bass.
We all know how Ozzy can sing out of tune for an entire show, and mysteriously! not on the next show, or on his records. He's no Pavarotti (to paraphrase Bill Wyman). The guy is 71 btw, unlike Mick, men of his age lose their high register, to various degrees. On the other hand, one shouldn't forget the fact that Ozzy used to have a fairly high voice, listen to Never Say Die, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Diary Of A Madman for instance. So I'm not surprised that he manages to produce the occasional high note in the studio now and then, after all, he can try and retry and retry all he wants. If a little bit of studio trickery helps him, it's ok with me, although I really don't like the concept of autotune. We don't listen to Ozzy for his note-perfect singing.

Date: February 26, 2020 22:37

SomeGuy
panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar
I am a longtime Ozzy fan and gave a few available songs a listen. There might be something good in there, but the amount of effects used on the vocals makes it unlistenable for me.

did you feel the same about the album ozzmosis? "I just want you" and "ghost behind my eyes" just for starters have some notes that are digitally pitched to a really high to the point it sounds like a robotic computer voice

That isn't my favorite album of his either, but I do enjoy it. I always felt that the production on it was a bit too slick and that it would have benefited from a leaner approach. I don't think it sounds as over-processed as the new album. I also think the songwriter on it is a lot stronger, which can overcome other issues.

To be clear I wasn't trying to knock anyone, just sharing my own opinion. We all of our own unique tastes.

Ozzmosis (recorded before autotune was introduced) certainly is an excellent album, underrated, I'd say. It does have a wash of production effects and all, but they serve a purpose. It has an amazing drummer on it plus, of course, Geezer Butler on bass.
We all know how Ozzy can sing out of tune for an entire show, and mysteriously! not on the next show, or on his records. He's no Pavarotti (to paraphrase Bill Wyman). The guy is 71 btw, unlike Mick, men of his age lose their high register, to various degrees. On the other hand, one shouldn't forget the fact that Ozzy used to have a fairly high voice, listen to Never Say Die, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Diary Of A Madman for instance. So I'm not surprised that he manages to produce the occasional high note in the studio now and then, after all, he can try and retry and retry all he wants. If a little bit of studio trickery helps him, it's ok with me, although I really don't like the concept of autotune. We don't listen to Ozzy for his note-perfect singing.

sorry man if its not autotuned it's some studio trick and clearly not a natural voice. for instance best example on "I just want you". go listen to the last yeah at the end of this line.

I'm sick and tired of bein' sick and tired
I used to go to bed so high and wired, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah
I think I'll buy myself some plastic water
I guess I should have married Lennon's daughter, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah

if you tell me that's just a constant retake then i'm a millionaire.

also there is a long unproven rumor that the vocal on "sabbath bloody sabbath" is slightly sped up to make it higher

Date: February 26, 2020 23:18

keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar

sorry man if its not autotuned it's some studio trick and clearly not a natural voice. for instance best example on "I just want you". go listen to the last yeah at the end of this line.

also there is a long unproven rumor that the vocal on "sabbath bloody sabbath" is slightly sped up to make it higher

Of course that one note is a studio trick, no doubt about it, but why is that a problem (I believe the same thing happens on Dancing With Mr. D. but in reverse order). The ending of War Pigs is sped up too, no one believes that they were playing faster and faster before stopping the song (ok that comparison is a bit of a stretch smiling smiley.
The album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has more songs than just the title song that features high vocals. But check out some 70s Black Sabbath bootlegs (1975 for instance) and you'll hear what I mean. But again, he is no Pavarotti (tg!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-26 23:26 by SomeGuy.

Date: February 26, 2020 23:25

SomeGuy
keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar

Of course that one note is a studio trick, no doubt about it, but why is that a problem. The ending of War Pigs is sped up too, no one believes that they were playing faster and faster before stopping the song (ok that comparison is a bit of a stretch smiling smiley.
The album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath has more songs than just the title song that features high vocals. But check out some 70s Black Sabbath bootlegs (1975 for instance) and you'll hear what I mean. But again, he is no Pavarotti (tg!).

I was just pointing out that ozzy has had studio tricks for years, maybe since sabbath, yet panthercougar says this new album is unlistenable because ozzy has vocal tricks. my point was does that mean its always unlistenable or does this person have a problem now because they don't like the quality of the songs

Date: February 26, 2020 23:28

keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar

Of course that one note is a studio trick, no doubt about it, but why is that a problem. The ending of War Pigs is sped up too, no one believes that they were playing faster and faster before stopping the song (ok that comparison is a bit of a stretch smiling smiley.

I was just pointing out that ozzy has had studio tricks for years, maybe since sabbath, yet panthercougar says this new album is unlistenable because ozzy has vocal tricks. my point was does that mean its always unlistenable or does this person have a problem now because they don't like the quality of the songs

Agreed.

Posted by: panthercougar ()
Date: February 27, 2020 00:04

keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
keefriffhard4life
SomeGuy
panthercougar
keefriffhard4life
panthercougar

Oh I definitely don’t deny that he has always used studio tricks, especially in his solo career. I think he has always multi-tracked his vocals to a greater degree than most and I don’t think there has ever been an attempt to hide it. I just mean on this specific album it is too much for me and gets in the way of the music. The way auto tune is so obviously used it sounds robotic and is unlistenable to me. It might not be to you and that is cool, just sharing my own opinion. We like what we like. As far as the quality of the songs, I have a hard time even judging them simply because the production is so off putting to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-27 00:08 by panthercougar.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 14:29

Ozzy Osbourne feat. Elton John - Ordinary Man (video)

Wow, what an amazing video. This one really got me, especially Ozzy's reaction to the footage of him and Randy Rhoads.

Emotionally manipulative? Sure, but it's extremely well done.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: March 14, 2020 13:32

Cool video/footage...Best ballad since Dreamer.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home