Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 21, 2020 20:08

[www.youtube.com]

Ozzy voice is amazing great lyrics about reflection the angel and the devil is he saying goodbye to all of us hope not and hope his recent health can be held under control.

So Mick and Keith take this as an inspiration and write some good lyrics and get the album done.

Re: OT: Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man
Date: February 21, 2020 20:13

I hope Mick and Keith won't use this amount of auto tune, though.

When that is said, I liked the album. Stronger songs than I expected.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: February 21, 2020 22:46

Of course, I like the song with Elton. It is kind of sad they are singing about "the end" and both currently canceling tour dates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-21 22:47 by tonyc.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: February 21, 2020 22:59

Holy shit that was awful.

Date: February 21, 2020 23:00

it's a really strong album

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 22, 2020 07:37

I'm hearing such mixed things. Can it really be good? I love Ozzy, but he hasn't put out a genuinely good album in forever. With the health problems surrounding him now, just seems insane he finally nailed it with everything he's going through. If he did, I'd really like to hear it though. I'm literally hearing "excellent" or "total trash".

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 22, 2020 14:52

After 5 songs I feel it's not very strong. A lot of standard sounds, but I guess some would want this. There are some exciting moments too. Maybe after hearing it through I will have a better opinion. Hope so.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 22, 2020 16:18

Accoridng to Wikipedia: "The album received mainly positive reviews, with many considering it Osbourne's best album in years and favorably comparing it to both his early solo work and Black Sabbath."

Certainly high praise. Again, forgive my hesitance in this being his best record since, any reasonable fan would say, No More Tears. Really am hoping to listen at some point this weekend, they've certainly piqued my interest.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2020 19:29

it's not bad. Ozzy is more than capable of putting out schlock & this isn't that way. helps he's got good musicians backing him. liked the song with Elton.

Date: February 22, 2020 19:49

I will go see Ozzie in July here in Portland at the Moda Center. For me his vocals are still amazing and his band is always top notch.

Date: February 22, 2020 20:04

OpenG
I will go see Ozzie in July here in Portland at the Moda Center. For me his vocals are still amazing and his band is always top notch.

I thought he cancelled the North American tour?

Date: February 22, 2020 20:48

It still is showing up on the site . I looked today maybe site not updated and it is canceled?

Date: February 22, 2020 21:10

OpenG
It still is showing up on the site . I looked today maybe site not updated and it is canceled?

[www.rollingstone.com]

sadly looks like it's a no go.

Date: February 22, 2020 21:34

Thanks that sucks the venue is 1/2 mile from my house. I guess I will wait and see maybe PJ this year, not seeing the stones closet show in CA. My wife tried to get BC tickets for the show in Portland for just Rich and Chris and got shut out the small venue all tickets were got by scalpers and they went from 50 to 300.

Date: February 23, 2020 04:21

OpenG
Thanks that sucks the venue is 1/2 mile from my house. I guess I will wait and see maybe PJ this year, not seeing the stones closet show in CA. My wife tried to get BC tickets for the show in Portland for just Rich and Chris and got shut out the small venue all tickets were got by scalpers and they went from 50 to 300.

I don't know if my health will allow it but I'm thinking about trying to come down there to see the Flaming Lips perform The Soft Bulletin with the Oregon Symphony. The Soft Bulletin is 1 of my all time favorite records. & it suits itself to the symphony treatment well. Steven Drodz is a phenomenal musician.

Posted by: panthercougar ()
Date: February 23, 2020 18:32

I am a longtime Ozzy fan and gave a few available songs a listen. There might be something good in there, but the amount of effects used on the vocals makes it unlistenable for me.

the sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 23, 2020 19:07

The North American tour has definitely been canceled. I received my refund this past week.

As far as Auto-tune...does anyone know what the technical limitations are of it? Can it take someone who has zero talent for singing and make them sound palatable, or do you need to be somewhere in the ballpark pitch/key wise and it just cleans up the margins?

Date: February 23, 2020 19:30

I think it was intended to disguise or correct off-key inaccuracies, I think you would need some talent?.

Date: February 23, 2020 19:39

Date: February 23, 2020 04:21

OpenG

I don't know if my health will allow it but I'm thinking about trying to come down there to see the Flaming Lips perform The Soft Bulletin with the Oregon Symphony. The Soft Bulletin is 1 of my all time favorite records. & it suits itself to the symphony treatment well. Steven Drodz is a phenomenal musician.

Hope you are well enough to go and see show in April I think. That first record was great. I was a fan of indie rock way back loved the whole indie independent label that bands dived into in the late 90's. Steven is a great musician as you say and very unique.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: February 24, 2020 23:30

besides the last 2 tracks its a very good record

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 26, 2020 02:19

Got it in the mail only today. Having followed Ozzy's solo career from the very start, my first impression is that it isn't his worst, and not his best album either. This means that I think it is pretty good, effectively.
Having heard the g*dawful last two songs online beforehand, I was fearing the worst, like that horrible Black Rain record of his, where the guitars sound like someone is vacuumcleaning in the next room or so. Luckily there's only a couple of songs sounding like this (Tom Morello's contributions?), the rest sounds properly cranky and heavy (albeit moderately so, compared to most of his albums).
Funny, about that autotune remark: the only song that features this device very audibly, is the last one, and then only mr. Malone's vocals, not so much Ozzy's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-26 02:21 by SomeGuy.

Date: February 26, 2020 15:05

for those wondering the producer, co-songwriter and main guitar player on this album is Andrew watt who was in the band California breed with glenn hughes and Jason Bonham

Date: February 26, 2020 15:23

keefriffhard4life
for those wondering the producer, co-songwriter and main guitar player on this album is Andrew watt who was in the band California breed with glenn hughes and Jason Bonham
Yeah, I thought so. California Breed was very promising...too bad it fell apart after one album, although Hughes and Bonham usually have so many projects going that it was bound to be a side project.

I quite like Ordinary Man. Watt is one hell of a guitarist. He came up with some nice crunchy, Iommi-like riffs, and McKagan and Smith are a badass rhythm section.

Ozzy sounds surprisingly clear, although some of his singing is slurred pretty badly. I'm sure a lot of studio trickery was used to get his vocals in tune, but that's nothing new for him.

As far as the two Post Malone songs...I think Take What You Want is actually pretty damn catchy pop track. Not a huge fan of It's A Raid.

Date: February 26, 2020 15:24

SomeGuy
Got it in the mail only today. Having followed Ozzy's solo career from the very start, my first impression is that it isn't his worst, and not his best album either. This means that I think it is pretty good, effectively.
Having heard the g*dawful last two songs online beforehand, I was fearing the worst, like that horrible Black Rain record of his, where the guitars sound like someone is vacuumcleaning in the next room or so. Luckily there's only a couple of songs sounding like this (Tom Morello's contributions?), the rest sounds properly cranky and heavy (albeit moderately so, compared to most of his albums).
Funny, about that autotune remark: the only song that features this device very audibly, is the last one, and then only mr. Malone's vocals, not so much Ozzy's.

Not true.

Date: February 26, 2020 15:27

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

Not true.
Yeah, I'd say it's used very extensively throughout the album. Auto-Tune is not always super obvious depending on whether it's being used to pitch-correct or as a vocal effect.

Date: February 26, 2020 15:42

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

Not true.
Yeah, I'd say it's used very extensively throughout the album. Auto-Tune is not always super obvious depending on whether it's being used to pitch-correct or as a vocal effect.

Indeed.

Date: February 26, 2020 16:03

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Yeah, I thought so. California Breed was very promising...too bad it fell apart after one album, although Hughes and Bonham usually have so many projects going that it was bound to be a side project.

I quite like Ordinary Man. Watt is one hell of a guitarist. He came up with some nice crunchy, Iommi-like riffs, and McKagan and Smith are a badass rhythm section.

Ozzy sounds surprisingly clear, although some of his singing is slurred pretty badly. I'm sure a lot of studio trickery was used to get his vocals in tune, but that's nothing new for him.

As far as the two Post Malone songs...I think Take What You Want is actually pretty damn catchy pop track. Not a huge fan of It's A Raid.

Andrew watt is also post malones producer

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 26, 2020 19:38

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

Not true.

Indeed.

That's why I said "very audibly", to the point that a human voice cannot possibly produce a sound like that, like that song by Cher a number of years ago, the point of which seemed to be to show how a voice can be warped by autotune. I'm not claiming that Ozzy didn't use autotune, I just thought it was funny that someone mentioned Ozzy's supposedly extensive use of autotune, when in fact the one instance on the album where you get autotune thrown into your face, is obviously Malone's part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-26 19:47 by SomeGuy.

Date: February 26, 2020 20:01

panthercougar
I am a longtime Ozzy fan and gave a few available songs a listen. There might be something good in there, but the amount of effects used on the vocals makes it unlistenable for me.

did you feel the same about the album ozzmosis? "I just want you" and "ghost behind my eyes" just for starters have some notes that are digitally pitched to a really high to the point it sounds like a robotic computer voice

Posted by: panthercougar ()
Date: February 26, 2020 20:47

keefriffhard4life
panthercougar

did you feel the same about the album ozzmosis? "I just want you" and "ghost behind my eyes" just for starters have some notes that are digitally pitched to a really high to the point it sounds like a robotic computer voice

That isn't my favorite album of his either, but I do enjoy it. I always felt that the production on it was a bit too slick and that it would have benefited from a leaner approach. I don't think it sounds as over-processed as the new album. I also think the songwriter on it is a lot stronger, which can overcome other issues.

To be clear I wasn't trying to knock anyone, just sharing my own opinion. We all of our own unique tastes.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home