Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lana Del Rey
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 21:02

Lana Del Rey - Norman f... Rockwell

Hi, any LDR fans here? I liked her songs from the first album (Video games, Blue Jeans, Born to Die), but not more than that. After that I lost her a bit out of sight. Until last week, when I bought her latest album (Norman F... Roswell!). I wanted to know what the fuss was all about, her album topped a lot of 'best of 2019' lists. I was blown away by it. Not the first 2 spins, but after that it grew on me. Usually not my type of music, but the concept of her songs / style really fascinates me. Dark melancholic lyrics and melodies, references to classic rock bands, places. the Hollywood / glamorous 50's and 60's style of her songs. She has a mysterious glow on her, which wants you to discover about who she is. Probably this all is one big marketing gimmick, but somehow it works. For me the best album of 2019.
Any thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-20 15:16 by bv.

Re: OT: Lana Del Rey - Norman @#$%& Roswell
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 19, 2020 21:09

What's her beef with Norman Rockwell?

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: February 19, 2020 21:48

I'm a fan. Her albums are always worth checking out. She has good taste, and the ingenue persona is clever. She sometimes looks and sounds like a Hamptons residing, wife of a stockbroker on Wall Street. Or a "gangster Nancy Sinatra," I think she said...

jackflash, I'd recommend Ultraviolence if you missed it, especially the first track "Cruel World": [www.youtube.com]

I saw her in concert a couple of years ago and was surprised to see so many young people---middle and high school age. I'm glad she's introducing them to the musicians in her lyrics---Springsteen, Elvis, Lou Reed, etc... She's actively singing to them on tracks like "Love," and the adulation these kids were sending her way proves it's a good rapport they enjoy.

Date: February 19, 2020 21:50

loog droog
What's her beef with Norman Rockwell?

Haha, it's laudatory.

Re: OT: Lana Del Rey - Norman @#$%& Rockwell
Date: February 19, 2020 22:29

cyclist
jackflash, I'd recommend Ultraviolence if you missed it, especially the first track "Cruel World": [www.youtube.com]

Thanks, yeah I listened to that album as well. Very cool sound. This one's produced by Dan Auerbach, I really like the way he handled her songs.
NFR! though, is a different league in my opinion. Not like anything she had done before. She really hit the jackpot with this one.

Was hoping to see her here in Amsterdam this Friday, but unfortunately I'm not in the country. Hope I can see her on one of the European festivals this summer.
How is she live? I checked some YouTube live video's, but not impressed with her voice on stage. Youtube videos are not always representative however...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-19 22:30 by jackflash27.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 22:42

Only familiar with a couple of her songs. She started her summer tour last year in Vancouver. I first saw her on Youtube, I love her song Pepsi Cola!!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 20, 2020 12:00

big fan since Born To Die
planning to see her at the London o2 next week.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 20, 2020 12:27

...scrub that.
Just heard her European / UK tour has been cancelled due to a 'mystery illness'

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 20, 2020 13:35

I like her "Doing Time" (porgy&Bess summertime)). The video reminds me of the Stones "Love is Strong".

She has a great voice and she uses sounds that are intriguing and that fit her moody state of mind. Great.
Rockandroll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Re: OT: Lana Del Rey
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 20, 2020 15:32

UK/European tour is postponed due to unspecified illness. [www.bbc.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-20 19:31 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: admorgan ()
Date: February 20, 2020 15:37

TornAndFried
Her European tour is postponed due to unspecified illness. [www.bbc.com]

"Lost voice"

Date: February 20, 2020 19:23

admorgan
TornAndFried

"Lost voice"

Mmmmm, sounds familiair winking smiley
Anyway, gives me a chance to see her later in the year (hopefullY)

Date: February 20, 2020 19:45

jackflash27
Hope I can see her on one of the European festivals this summer.
How is she live? I checked some YouTube live video's, but not impressed with her voice on stage. Youtube videos are not always representative however...

Can't say I was awed---she doesn't exactly translate live---but if you're at a festival on a sunny day and can catch her with others, it could be a lovely time.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 21, 2020 06:34

admorgan
TornAndFried

"Lost voice"

That's why tours have insurance. Not just bands with older dudes postpone tours.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 21, 2020 07:07

My only exposure has been the horrible appearance on Saturday Night Live. I need to check out some stuff since then.

Date: February 21, 2020 13:32

crholmstrom
My only exposure has been the horrible appearance on Saturday Night Live. I need to check out some stuff since then.

Check the last album... it's a masterpiece (in my opinion). You'll probably need 2 or 3 spins before it kicks in.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 21, 2020 15:34

jackflash27
crholmstrom

Check the last album... it's a masterpiece (in my opinion). You'll probably need 2 or 3 spins before it kicks in.

thanks, will do

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 21, 2020 22:19

Didn’t care for her until I heard the title track of her latest album.
Been spinning the album since then.
It’s a near masterpiece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home