Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT: Metallica v. Napster... What's left of it?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 17, 2020 20:12

20 years have passed since the Metallica v. Napster case..
I wonder what's left of it...
Napster went out of the business.. But do the artists still worry about file sharing, or has it turned into a promo scheme to boost the demand for their live performances?

Re: Semi OT: Metallica v. Napster... What's left of it?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 21:28

Yes, file sharing is a constant source of worry and concern among 0artists. The music industry has been forever changed by file sharing and the shift to streaming, which doesn't even come close to paying the same.

Lars Ulrich was proven 100% correct, but it was easier to make fun of him than consider what he was saying.

Date: February 17, 2020 21:58

keefriff99
Yes, file sharing is a constant source of worry and concern among 0artists. The music industry has been forever changed by file sharing and the shift to streaming, which doesn't even come close to paying the same.

Lars Ulrich was proven 100% correct, but it was easier to make fun of him than consider what he was saying.
i do not agree

the whole world is transitioning from owning to using things. Music and movies are very suitable for this transition. Of course it is cheaper now, but one could also argue it was way too expensive back in the days. Due to streaming the audience reach is so much wider. It just changed to business model from CD/LP to Streaming and Concerts. Metallica is also on Spotify (did take a long time though).

Also illegal pirating and legal streaming are two different things.

Date: February 17, 2020 22:25

PaintMonkeyManBlack
keefriff99

i do not agree

the whole world is transitioning from owning to using things. Music and movies are very suitable for this transition. Of course it is cheaper now, but one could also argue it was way too expensive back in the days. Due to streaming the audience reach is so much wider. It just changed to business model from CD/LP to Streaming and Concerts. Metallica is also on Spotify (did take a long time though).

Also illegal pirating and legal streaming are two different things.
No, I'm not talking about now. I'm saying that, AT THE TIME, the record industry did not adapt the way it should have.

Thinking something is too expensive doesn't give you the right to steal. Believe me, I did plenty of downloading in the past, but after reading more on the topic, the people who were vilified for being greedy ended up being correct in their predictions.

Date: February 17, 2020 22:55

Okay with this nuance i agree

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 17, 2020 22:57

I prefer to listen to Napster as Metallica has my speakers clipping

Date: February 17, 2020 23:09

PaintMonkeyManBlack
And I agree that we're moving on from the days of owning physical media, and that's fine with me. I don't think CDs should still be the primary means of consuming media...the technology has moved on.

I just wish the record industry had seen the writing on the wall and tried to adapt quicker than just attempting to squash it.

Date: February 17, 2020 23:12

keefriff99
PaintMonkeyManBlack
And I agree that we're moving on from the days of owning physical media, and that's fine with me. I don't think CDs should still be the primary means of consuming media...the technology has moved on.

I just wish the record industry had seen the writing on the wall and tried to adapt quicker than just attempting to squash it.

heck prince mentioned the internet and stuff in like 1996 and seemed to get laughed at for making any statement that things need to start adapting

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 18, 2020 10:23

The final ironic twist...

[www.metalsucks.net]

"The Black Album still sells 5,000 copies a week"...

Date: February 18, 2020 15:28

dcba

[www.metalsucks.net]

I know nobody is interested in defending Metallica, but their contention was always that file sharing was going to hurt new artists trying to make a living in the music industry, not the mega-selling behemoths who were already set for life.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 18, 2020 16:05

I am/was a fan!
Up till the end of the 1990's they were one of the best live acts on the market and despite their flaws the "Load"/"Reload" duet was a bold move to make after the massive success of the "Black Album". I mean they could have played it safe and record a "Black Album" pt.II with the same massive catchy sound.
s
The 00's were not to kind to Metallica and now they're a nostalgia act (imo).
Imo again Slayer aged more gracefully. The "papa Het" or the "you're part of the Metallica family" grate me.

Napster would have happened anyway : another idiot from another part of the world have thought of swapping music files with other fans. And what Itunes except Napster with money involved?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 18, 2020 16:08

keefriff99
dcba

[www.metalsucks.net]

I know nobody is interested in defending Metallica, but their contention was always that file sharing was going to hurt new artists trying to make a living in the music industry, not the mega-selling behemoths who were already set for life.

What release was it that Lars had said in the liner notes that they used to bootleg to cassette various recordings? I found them being upset about Napster quite hypocritical - it was essentially bootlegging without the cassettes.

Streaming, as convenient as it is, is the end of musicians making any kind of living from/off their art. Even 99 cents for a download doesn't really help with THOUSANDS of dollars of studio work.

Date: February 18, 2020 16:13

dcba
I am/was a fan!
Up till the end of the 1990's they were one of the best live acts on the market and despite their flaws the "Load"/"Reload" duet was a bold move to make after the massive success of the "Black Album". I mean they could have played it safe and record a "Black Album" pt.II with the same massive catchy sound.
s
The 00's were not to kind to Metallica and now they're a nostalgia act (imo).
Imo again Slayer aged more gracefully. The "papa Het" or the "you're part of the Metallica family" grate me.

Napster would have happened anyway : another idiot from another part of the world have thought of swapping music files with other fans. And what Itunes except Napster with money involved?
I wasn't talking specifically about you, but most people here aren't into metal.

I love Load/Reload...you could take the best songs from both albums and make an all-time classic. There's a fair amount of filler on both, but it was a fascinating stylistic detour for them.

I don't know about them aging more gracefully. I love Slayer and I saw them in November for the last time (I think?)...it was great but they're not dangerous anymore no matter how much Kerry King tries to come off as a sulky, angry 16 year old.

Metallica is basically a classic rock act now, which is weird to say, but their concerts are family-friendly now. How else could they really present themselves, being in their mid/late 50s and each worth well over $100 million?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home