Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OPENING ACTS? Any Word?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 16, 2020 20:23

To save money I heard instead of an opening act Chuck is will be doing a slide show called "The Evolution of Modern Forestry Practices'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 20:24 by TornAndFried.

Date: February 16, 2020 21:41

MisterDDDD
Always enjoy a good opener... can help get the crowd amped and like to experience bands live that I wouldn't otherwise.
Great opportunity for some bands and typically they put a lot into it.

Saw Lucas Nelson and POTR in both NY and Seattle, and they were excellent. Wouldn't mind if they opened Austin, would also love to see Willie take the stage with the Stones for a number. Dead Flowers.. or Sweet Virginia on the B stage would bring the house down cool smiley

.[/quot

I love Lucas and was thinking the same thing about Willie. One of the reasons Austin a possible show on my list. Willie on the b stage doing a few country songs would be way cool

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 16, 2020 22:19

Speaking of guests...

Let's not forget Mr. Timberlake, who ran the twofer at Downsview Park in '03 and blessed us all with an opening set and a guest spot!

And I saw Ms. Swift in Chicago!

Maybe it's me?

I'd just love to see another great Rock'n'Roll band open some shows... plenty of 'em are still on the road these days.

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: February 17, 2020 00:29

steffialicia
OhYesMeAgain
I don't usually care about the openers, but I liked Cage the Elephant in Paris 2017.

Sorry but I HATED them. All they were was incredibly, horribly LOUD.

I did like them. But I have to admit they were really really loud.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 17, 2020 22:05

Yes, it's true, I DO CARE who opens and as many have pointed out, the Stones USED TO have awesome opening acts..I guess I'm holding out for a pleasant surprise...like maybe a Bonnie Raitt, or Buddy Guy, but I never want to see Kanye AGAIN, EVER..especially not at a Stones concert! GEEZ! I think it's true that they pander to the much younger crowd as a way to remain currant & attract a younger audience. The WORST opener was Ryan Adams and of course Kanye! So, maybe it's a bit early for openers to be announced. I enjoyed everyone's comments!smileys with beer

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 22:22

ive seen many great opener, santana , journey, beck, stone temple pilots, george thorogood, iggy pop

however had to sit through spin doctors, living color,no doubt, omg, that was awful

but I still look forward to seeing new bands that I may have not otherwise taken the chance to see

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 02:15

i dont care if the stones pander to the youth market so as not to be upstaged, does that not tell you something about how we perceive the youth market to be today that having a more mature opening act would mean a bigger chance of the stones being upstaged, dosent say much for younger bands, but does say a lot about a bunch of guys in their 70,s who still fear they can be upstaged.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 18, 2020 03:23

buttons67
i dont care if the stones pander to the youth market so as not to be upstaged, does that not tell you something about how we perceive the youth market to be today that having a more mature opening act would mean a bigger chance of the stones being upstaged, dosent say much for younger bands, but does say a lot about a bunch of guys in their 70,s who still fear they can be upstaged.

Meh.
The youth market may come because they like the opener and after being blown away they buy tix for the next Stones show or some albums regardless.

Part of what I love about 'em.. always building the fan base, regardless if 1962 or 2020.

Posted by: Brzezicki ()
Date: February 18, 2020 06:18

Elle King would be great to see in SD.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 18, 2020 07:17

Surely this youth market isn't going to pay Stones prices to go see a band they like, when they can see them headline someplace else for a fraction of the price?

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 18, 2020 09:10

In 2006 the opener in Vancouver was originally slated to be Van Morrison, but Mick got laryngitis and they moved the date back so it was Bonnie Raitt instead.

Having her sing on 'Shine A Light' was a treat, but I can only imagine if they'd done it with Van - or anything else for that matter.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 09:11

They could have Chuck Leavell and Matt Clifford using Garageband, playing us some samples of the past 15 years studio work

Rod

Posted by: blakeo82 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 12:18

TumblinDice76
I know Rascal Flatts is very popular, but man I don't get it. Almost anything is better than Rascal Flatts. It will be interesting to see if the speedway show gets 2 openers this year too.

What speedway show???

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 18, 2020 12:26

blakeo82
TumblinDice76
I know Rascal Flatts is very popular, but man I don't get it. Almost anything is better than Rascal Flatts. It will be interesting to see if the speedway show gets 2 openers this year too.

What speedway show???

Austin, Texas

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 18, 2020 12:26

Bring on TROMBONE SHORTY again! They were great in Warzaw!

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: February 18, 2020 14:52

MadMax

Oh yeah. It was awesome.

I hope Black Keys at Cleveland show. They are from Akron, Ohio.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 18, 2020 15:47

Brzezicki
Elle King would be great to see in SD.

Saw her last year and she would be a good one.

Posted by: panthercougar ()
Date: February 18, 2020 16:02

It's a long shot but I would really like to see Sturgill Simpson.

Date: February 18, 2020 16:05

TumblinDice76
St. Paul and the Broken Bones were very good as an opener in Chicago! I kind of like openers myself.

They opened several years ago in Atlanta I believe. The only opening band I've seen for the Stones since 1997 that actually got the audience's attention.
Wow are they good. Saw them in a small theatre type show a couple of years later and they melted the walls with the energy.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: February 18, 2020 17:19

How about Diesel Park West?drinking smiley

Better late than never, so they saywinking smiley

[iorr.org]

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 17:29

Opening acts last year were weak compared to 2018.

Posted by: soundofblues ()
Date: February 18, 2020 22:01

MadMax

Yes, they were awesome!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 18, 2020 22:25

Ed Sheeran in KC was pretty good.

Kind of poppy but a hell of a guitar player!

Unfortunately I've never been lucky enough to see an "A" list rock band open up for them like Pearl Jam, AC/DC, Metallica, Prince, or anyone of that caliber.

St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Beck, Blind Lemon, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Living Colour, Sheryl Crow, Jonny Lang, and The Rockets (a late replacement for Stanley Clarke & George Duke who canceled at the last minute for some reason) and a band called Soulive that was so uneventful I had to look up who it was.

Posted by: Telly ()
Date: February 18, 2020 22:43

I've seen them 19 times and had some decent openers but no A-list acts, imo. Living Colour, Blind Melon, No Doubt, Taj Mahal, Ryan Adams several times, Antigone Rising, Elvis Costello, Alice Cooper, Los Lonely Boys, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Whiskey Meyers & St Paul are the ones I remember. The Pretenders opened when I saw them at Comiskey in '03 but not sure I was in the door when they played unfortunately. Hopefully we get something good for St Louis & Atlanta this year.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: February 19, 2020 01:24

panthercougar
It's a long shot but I would really like to see Sturgill Simpson.

Yes! Going to see him in May in San Francisco.

I'm pulling for Eric Church in Nashville, he's brought Chuck out a few times at his shows recently.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 19, 2020 01:27

Telly, I saw the Pretenders that year and they were quite good...I also have seen the GOO GOO DOLLS, Alanis Morrisette, Stevie Wonder, The Outlaws, Bobby Womack, John Mayer, George Thoroughgood, Foreigner,The Corrs, Ryan Adams ( HE SUCKED!), Living Colour, Gary Clark Jr, Sheryl Crow, and the very worst was KAYNE WEST! HORRIFIC HOT MESS! There were so many more since 1972 but I can't remember at the moment.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 19, 2020 01:55

Javadave
The Stones used to have great opening acts like Stevie Wonder, Ike & Tina, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, The Meters, Bobby Womack, etc. These days they seem more interested in pandering to the youth market and making sure they don't get upstaged. Buddy Guy's opening set at Milwaukee's Marcus Amphitheatre on the Zip Code tour was the last opener I've seen that was at all memorable.

Yeah, back in the day they often showcased acts who were older than themselves. I guess it was a way of 'paying their dues' and introducing those artists to young, white audiences who wouldnt have otherwise been that familiar with them.

A bit hard to showcase anything BUT younger acts now when your average age is about 76..

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 19, 2020 02:26

mickschix
Telly, I saw the Pretenders that year and they were quite good...I also have seen the GOO GOO DOLLS, Alanis Morrisette, Stevie Wonder, The Outlaws, Bobby Womack, John Mayer, George Thoroughgood, Foreigner,The Corrs, Ryan Adams ( HE SUCKED!), Living Colour, Gary Clark Jr, Sheryl Crow, and the very worst was KAYNE WEST! HORRIFIC HOT MESS! There were so many more since 1972 but I can't remember at the moment.

I've seen Ryan Adams at a festival, quite liked him, what made him so bad opening for the Stones? Not defending him (especially after recent allegations), just curious.

Date: February 19, 2020 13:48

tonyc
TumblinDice76
St. Paul and the Broken Bones were very good as an opener in Chicago! I kind of like openers myself.

Yes! I liked them so much when they opened in Atlanta in 2015 I saw them in Knoxville by themselves a couple of years later. I doubt I would have known to go if I had not already seen them.

First time I saw them was on Jools Holland, and was floored.
I have to say: there have been countless acts that I got to know through the Jools Holland show. is that show still current?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 19, 2020 16:46

Best on I've seen was Van Halen. St. Paul was also good.

Worst was Blind Melon.

I've skipped a bunch of them.

Hoping Black Crowes for Atlanta.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home