Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OPENING ACTS? Any Word?
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:35

Does anyone know if there will be opening acts for this leg of the tour? I was lucky enough to see Gary Clark Jr in Foxboro last July as their opening act...so far there has been no mention of opening bands. Show time is 8PM so it looks like the 8-8:45 slot is open. BV, do you have any info on this?

Re: OPENING ACTS? Any Word?
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:39

Last year it took a LONG time for the opening acts to be named so we probably wont know anything until early April or so. My guess is 15 different openers which has been the trend the last few tours.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:41

New Barbarians anyone? I guess they wouldn't be considered new anymore.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:59

TumblinDice76
Last year it took a LONG time for the opening acts to be named so we probably wont know anything until early April or so. My guess is 15 different openers which has been the trend the last few tours.

I thought they did a good job putting together a respectable lineup on fairly short notice considering the postponement.

Also, last year only had 16 out of 17 openers as Miami ended up with none.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 15, 2020 21:51

who cares who opens Im serious

Date: February 15, 2020 22:31

Cooltoplady

I imagine the person who started the thread cares. I responded so I guess I do, too.

I don't require an opening act that is good but I look at it as a nice bonus. Better to spend 45 minutes enjoying music than just waiting and waiting and waiting.

Thanks to the Stones I got to see Bryan Adams, No Doubt, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, etc. I'm thankful they try to give the ticket buyer some extra value in addition to them.

Date: February 15, 2020 22:36

St. Paul and the Broken Bones were very good as an opener in Chicago! I kind of like openers myself.

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: February 15, 2020 22:37

tonyc
Cooltoplady

I imagine the person who started the thread cares. I responded so I guess I do, too.

I don't require an opening act that is good but I look at it as a nice bonus. Better to spend 45 minutes enjoying music than just waiting and waiting and waiting.

Thanks to the Stones I got to see Bryan Adams, No Doubt, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, etc. I'm thankful they try to give the ticket buyer some extra value in addition to them.

I would agree with this. Thanks to the Stones I have seen these and other: Ryan Adams, Beck, The White Stripes and Alice Cooper.

Date: February 15, 2020 22:47

TumblinDice76
St. Paul and the Broken Bones were very good as an opener in Chicago! I kind of like openers myself.

Yes! I liked them so much when they opened in Atlanta in 2015 I saw them in Knoxville by themselves a couple of years later. I doubt I would have known to go if I had not already seen them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-15 22:49 by tonyc.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 15, 2020 23:09

Always enjoy a good opener... can help get the crowd amped and like to experience bands live that I wouldn't otherwise.
Great opportunity for some bands and typically they put a lot into it.

Saw Lucas Nelson and POTR in both NY and Seattle, and they were excellent. Wouldn't mind if they opened Austin, would also love to see Willie take the stage with the Stones for a number. Dead Flowers.. or Sweet Virginia on the B stage would bring the house down cool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 16, 2020 00:59

A little early yet?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:43

I usually don’t care for openers as well, but I really enjoyed Kaleo in Phoenix last year.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 16, 2020 01:49

Toots and the Maytals is almost certain to open at least one date

jb

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: February 16, 2020 02:13

I don't usually care about the openers, but I liked Cage the Elephant in Paris 2017.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 16, 2020 02:15

Like some of the posters above, I don’t care about opening acts (or guest appearances) - but agree with others about St Paul and the Broken Bones. They were a real eye-opener and I listened to all their albums after that (and still do). The only others I was really pleased to have seen over all the years were Richard Ashcroft snd Liam Gallagher.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 16, 2020 03:24

I believe Zac Brown Band was maybe the only opener announced prior to last year's postponement, slated for the Jacksonville gig... Folks, correct me if I'm wrong! They didn't end up getting a shot after the rescheduled dates came through.

Looking at their schedule for 2020, looks like there'd be a chance for them to get a reprise... Who knows?

I always hope for some heavy, veteran Rock acts, but that never seems to happen. I guess I've been lucky to have seen such a variety of acts open for The Stones over the years, but the new Pop stuff does nothing for me.

I'd also think it'll be early April before we get the list of openers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 16, 2020 03:35

It's common knowledge that 9 out of 10 opening bands suck (IMO), and I can count the good ones I've seen over the years in single digits.
J.Geils Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Buddy Guy,The Hives, Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, Toots and the Maytalls, and Guns'N'Roses....and maybe I'm forgetting a couple others...
Of the four shows I saw last summer - Kaleo were pretty good opening in both Pasadena and Glendale, but don't remember the other two I saw at Chicago 2 and Santa Clara.

Date: February 16, 2020 04:54

Whiskey Myers was Chicago 2

Date: February 16, 2020 05:03

Yeah Whiskey Meyers, they were ok, but every song sounded almost the same...at least from where I was sitting. lol...

Date: February 16, 2020 05:18

I know Rascal Flatts is very popular, but man I don't get it. Almost anything is better than Rascal Flatts. It will be interesting to see if the speedway show gets 2 openers this year too.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 16, 2020 06:04

Thanks to The Stones I'm the only one in my circle of friends that can say they saw Taylor Swift live. Maybe Mick will get Billie Ellish this time.

Skip the opener and give us two more songs in the set instead!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 16, 2020 06:08

OhYesMeAgain
I don't usually care about the openers, but I liked Cage the Elephant in Paris 2017.

Sorry but I HATED them. All they were was incredibly, horribly LOUD.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: February 16, 2020 06:24

Don’t need. Would prefer the Stones add some more numbers.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 16, 2020 08:05

Not going to the show but would love to hear Delta Rae get the Charlotte gig. They are Carolina based, recently went idie after getting f'ed by their record label and they put on a hell of a show. Better than some of the recent openers zi have seen. Prasky Vyber Wombats and Vista Kicks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:24

mighty stork
Thanks to The Stones I'm the only one in my circle of friends that can say they saw Taylor Swift live. Maybe Mick will get Billie Ellish this time.

I would vote for Billie Eilish, only because then my kids would become incredibly jealous.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:37

The Stones used to have great opening acts like Stevie Wonder, Ike & Tina, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, The Meters, Bobby Womack, etc. These days they seem more interested in pandering to the youth market and making sure they don't get upstaged. Buddy Guy's opening set at Milwaukee's Marcus Amphitheatre on the Zip Code tour was the last opener I've seen that was at all memorable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 16:37 by Javadave.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:40

treaclefingers
mighty stork

I would vote for Billie Eilish, only because then my kids would become incredibly jealous.

My daughter was very jealous when I saw Katy Perry.
And with Rihanna.. at Desert Trip who sat right in front of me on the other side of the rail after her performance cool smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:48

Beast
Like some of the posters above, I don’t care about opening acts (or guest appearances) - but agree with others about St Paul and the Broken Bones. They were a real eye-opener and I listened to all their albums after that (and still do). The only others I was really pleased to have seen over all the years were Richard Ashcroft snd Liam Gallagher.

The very 3 I was going to mention. Especially Richard Ashcroft’s departing line: Allan Klein, I’m coming for you! Much cheering and laughter in the Pit. grinning smiley

Posted by: soundofblues ()
Date: February 16, 2020 19:51

Last year I really liked the Ghost Hounds in DC!

Date: February 16, 2020 20:09

mighty stork

Can't recall, but was Taylor Swift an actual opening act with a full set somewhere?
If we're talking special guests for individual songs, I've been "fortunate" to see Katy Perry, John Mayer, and Dave Grohl all guest on songs during 50 and Counting.
Fortunately at the second Staples Center Show (May20,'13), there were NO extra guests and instead had Mick Taylor play on four tunes instead of three that night - Sway, CYHMK, MR, and Satisfaction...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home