Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which releases should I buy again as bluray?
Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: February 15, 2020 17:58

Hi, I have finally acquired a bluray player. I had only DVD so far, so I have bought all the recent releases as CD+DVD combo so far. Now my question is: Which releases (e.g. From The Vault series, Totally Stripped, Havana Moon, Sweet Summer Sun, Voodoo Lounge Uncut & In Japan, Bridges To Bremen & Buenos Aires, etc.) are worth to be bought again as bluray because they are really in HD and not only SD (which would not make much difference to a DVD)?

Re: Which releases should I buy again as bluray?
Posted by: britstones ()
Date: February 15, 2020 18:47

Sweet Summer Sun and Havana Moon were both recorded in HD. They will give you the best visual upgrade.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 15, 2020 19:25

IMAX is quite nice too.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:38

Stick w/ the DVD - they look great enough as it is. Buy Blu Ray for future releases, but I am reasonable certain you won't notice much of a difference.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 15, 2020 22:26

You can also get these as Blu ray audio.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 15, 2020 22:50

Deltics
You can also get these as Blu ray audio.

It's a shame there aren't more.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 15, 2020 23:12

Rock and Roll Circus is a definite upgrade but still kind of grainy. And, as has been pointed out, Brian is inaudible for the most part (No Expectations aside - I think). The Blu-ray audio referred to above are all stellar. It also depends on your equipment. Enjoy!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 15, 2020 23:25

what exactly is so stellar about blu ray?

Are they mixed and mastered different to have more dynamic range than the "brickwalled" cds (and I assume DVDs)?

I bought a blu ray player specifically to play XTC's Drums and Wires and I didn't really notice any great difference in sound quality, patching it into the same preamp as I do the rest of the components in my main system. I was expecting some jump-out-of-the-speakers experience, but didn't happen. Sounded rather ordinary.

Haven't ripped them and examined them in an audio editor, but expect I will see the same big black square of dynamic range so often confronted with typical CD releases.

Are they really better and worthwhile to buy (the audio only blu-rays I mean) over the normal audio editions?

thanks
jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 16, 2020 04:46

Two questions:

can one assume that a Blu Ray video always includes Blu Ray audio?

More important, how does Blu Ray audio compare to SACD sound like, for instance, the Abkco 2002 releases of the 60s catalog?

plexi

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 16, 2020 05:24

I have a (ripped) copy of the Japanese Bluray of 'Let's Spend The Night Together' and it looks and sounds fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home