Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Bill Wyman Archive Auction, Sept 12/13, 2020
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2020 20:05

CaptainCorella
snoopy2

That, Bill's amp, and the toilet seat cover all belong in the Smithsonian smiling smiley

NONSENSE!

The Rolling Stones are a UK band, not a creation of the USA (in which case it would be a reasonable point).

The British Museum would (nay, should) be the place for this sort of stuff. I already holds things like the manuscript for some famous Beatles' songs.

Also acceptable would be the V&A in London (who have John Pashe's tongue artwork and a staggering Bowie collection and more).

Cultural appropriation is not acceptable.

Not sure cultural appropriation is the term I would use, but totally understand and agree with the sentiment. Historical items should be in their historical home country.

Similar to going to London and seeing the Jimi Hendrix museums and historical markings. As a Seattleite, I was a bit taken aback from that, but being born here doesn't necessarily have the significance as where he stayed and played in London where at the time he was much more respected and welcomed.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 14, 2020 20:13

Actually that is the real meaning of cultural appropriation starting with the famous Elgin marbles at the British museum etc.

In other words, actual appropriation, meaning taking something away from someone.

Today it is totally misused to apply to things like a woman's braided hair or a college serving Chinese food in the cafeteria.

Date: September 14, 2020 20:44

Wasn't sure as I stated, but am now. Very different usage as you say in todays world.
Thanks Rokyfan.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2020 21:50

If someone is interested in a list of the winning bids as well as 1406 large pictures of the lots, it's here: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 14, 2020 22:48

What happened with Lot 1023 ,Bill’s car?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 14, 2020 22:58

anyone on here get the joujouka pressing?

Date: September 15, 2020 16:47

Anybody who bought stuff in the auction have you decided upon shipping?Living in the UK I am toying with the idea of using their shipping services.Any thoughts ?Cheers.
My items are clothing .

Cheers

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: September 15, 2020 16:54

What other shipping option is there besides picking it up yourself?

Date: September 15, 2020 20:31

Bill Wyman's Rolling Stones toilet seat cover breaks world record
It's a thing of beauty

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman has obliterated the world record for the most expensive toilet seat cover ever sold at auction.

Over three days last weekend, the octogenarian rocker sold over 1,000 items from his extensive personal collection at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, California.
Among the smorgasbord of items up for sale at the 'Property from Bill Wyman and His Rolling Stones Archive' auction were guitars, musical instruments, amplifiers, stage worn ensembles, awards, personal items, memorabilia and ephemera.

One of the surprise standout successes at the auction was an acrylic plush yellow toilet seat cover emblazoned with the Rolling Stones’ iconic tongue logo.
Originating from The Rolling Stones’ 1975 American tour, the toilet seat cover sold for an impressive $1,152 (around £895), which, according to Julien’s Auctions, is the world record for the most expensive toilet seat cover ever sold at auction.

Bog seat cover aside, there were two further world records set at the auction.
Wyman’s historic 1962 VOX AC30 ‘Normal’ Model Amplifier sold for $106,250 (£82,400), setting a new record for most expensive amplifier at auction trumping the combined sale of two amps owned by David Gilmour that fetched $77,000 (£59,700) last year.

Additionally, a 1969 Fender Mustang Bass with a Competition Orange became the most expensive bass at auction ever selling for $384,000 (£298,000).
The most expensive item at the entire auction was a 1968 Gibson Les Paul Standard Model Gold Top guitar and case used by Brian Jones in The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus concert show and film in December 1968 and on other recordings. It sold for $704,000 (£546,000), three and a half times its estimate of $200,000.

A portion of the proceeds from Bill Wyman’s auction will benefit The Prince’s Trust, Macmillan Cancer Support and CCMI (Central Caribbean Marine Institute).
[planetradio.co.uk]

Date: September 15, 2020 20:48

Ship with Juliens or another shipping company was what I was meaning.Just wondered if anyone else was in the same position.Thanks in advance

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: September 15, 2020 21:09

stargroover
Ship with Juliens or another shipping company was what I was meaning.Just wondered if anyone else was in the same position.Thanks in advance

I would recommend getting a quote from Julien's shipping partner before doing anything. After spending the effort to find someone else to pack and ship and figuring in their cost, you might find Julien's shipping partner to be more convenient for the money.

Date: September 15, 2020 21:12

stargroover
Anybody who bought stuff in the auction have you decided upon shipping?Living in the UK I am toying with the idea of using their shipping services.Any thoughts ?Cheers.
My items are clothing .

Cheers

Not sure if you've received an invoice with their shipping and handling charges, but for shipping here on the same coast as them, it was more than triple what normal USPS (postal) shipping rates would be in my estimation. Think it may be the "handling" portion responsible, which could be the same on every order, not sure.
They've been very helpful the couple times I contacted them re attending etc.
Might be worth a call to see what options they offer.

Accounting & Shipping:
Araceli@juliensauctions.com
(310) 836-1818 ext 1026

Date: September 15, 2020 21:58

Thanks Mister DDDD

Date: September 15, 2020 22:10

MisterDDDD
stargroover
My items are clothing .

Cheers

Not sure if you've received an invoice with their shipping and handling charges, but for shipping here on the same coast as them, it was more than triple what normal USPS (postal) shipping rates would be in my estimation. Think it may be the "handling" portion responsible, which could be the same on every order, not sure.
They've been very helpful the couple times I contacted them re attending etc.
Might be worth a call to see what options they offer.

Accounting & Shipping:
Araceli@juliensauctions.com
(310) 836-1818 ext 1026

Yes, shipping is more than triple what normally is via USPS (I ship daily). They said they're sending me a breakdown, which I imagine will be as MisterD says, due to handling..

FYI I was not given a chance to choose shipping, they billed my credit card immediately even though I had asked they let me see the invoice first, so you may want to contact them sooner rather than later.

Date: September 16, 2020 00:21

Hi snoopy2,thanks for the information.I checked my invoice and they also billed me for their shipping.Anyhow a weight off my mind.Cheers

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 16, 2020 03:20

I was after the Brian Jones signatures as well! Looks like we were in a bidding war against ourselves haha. Really liked the Indian or Italian restaurant tab. But not at $3,200. Oh well. Ended up with some cool, little pieces and overall satisfied! Fun to watch, even tho the announcers couldn't even pronounce the items correctly at times! The auctioneer looked at "Joujouka Test Pressing" and laughed, didn't even try.

Roll Tide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-16 03:21 by Ram.

Date: September 16, 2020 04:49

Ram
I was after the Brian Jones signatures as well! Looks like we were in a bidding war against ourselves haha. Really liked the Indian or Italian restaurant tab. But not at $3,200. Oh well. Ended up with some cool, little pieces and overall satisfied! Fun to watch, even tho the announcers couldn't even pronounce the items correctly at times! The auctioneer looked at "Joujouka Test Pressing" and laughed, didn't even try.

Roll Tide

You in Alabama? we could've gone in on Brian's Indian restaurant tab and taken turns putting it on our walls every other weekend lol

Date: September 16, 2020 04:50

stargroover
Hi snoopy2,thanks for the information.I checked my invoice and they also billed me for their shipping.Anyhow a weight off my mind.Cheers

you bet! fyi the breakdown came today and apparently my item is being sent FedEx, so there's a lot of the cost smiling smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 16, 2020 05:16

I think “Art Pack” is the packing company Julian’s uses. Then, I assume, you can
pick the carrier — FedEx etc.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 16, 2020 07:18

So how much did the auction raise all together?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 16, 2020 08:57

swimtothemoon
I think “Art Pack” is the packing company Julian’s uses. Then, I assume, you can
pick the carrier — FedEx etc.

Did you pick something up Tom?

Starting to experience remorse that I didn't at least try to pick up one or a few things. But maybe that's better than buyer's remorse.

plexi

Date: September 16, 2020 12:25

DGA35

So how much did the auction raise all together?

It can be calculated here - just sum up the winning bids: [www.JuliensLive.com] .

"Bill Wyman auctions off £3m of Rolling Stones memorabilia" - [www.DailyMail.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-16 12:45 by Irix.

Date: September 16, 2020 12:50

stargroover

"SOLD for $16,000! Bill Wyman's 1999 Mercedes-Benz S500L Saloon in Brilliant Silver Metallic." - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 16, 2020 13:38

Irix
stargroover

"SOLD for $16,000! Bill Wyman's 1999 Mercedes-Benz S500L Saloon in Brilliant Silver Metallic." - [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com] .

Overpriced. Depending on the mileage of course. Not a very practical car in London traffic. So I guess it's a low mileage car. Still overpriced.

Date: September 16, 2020 14:00

Stoneage

Overpriced. Depending on the mileage of course.

From the description of Lot 1023: "The odometer is correct at 19,059 miles." and: "The original sticker in October of 1999 was £75,995." Estimation was $15,000-20,000 - [www.JuliensAuctions.com] .

It's btw a right-hand drive car.

Date: September 16, 2020 21:46

Thanks for that Irix.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 16, 2020 21:58

Irix
Stoneage

Overpriced. Depending on the mileage of course.

From the description of Lot 1023: "The odometer is correct at 19,059 miles." and: "The original sticker in October of 1999 was £75,995." Estimation was $15,000-20,000 - [www.JuliensAuctions.com] .

Of course it would be! Surely they left it in situ and didn’t Transport it all the way to the auction site. The buyer was presumably based in the U.K., Ireland or another left side driving country.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 16, 2020 23:42

Following the Daily Mail article about the auction, nearly all the comments are negative, condemning Bill for his r'ship with 13 year old Mandy Smith.

Date: September 17, 2020 00:00

grzegorz67
Irix

Of course it would be!

What I meant is that therefore it would be less interesting for people e.g. from continental Europe or the United States. It's technically possible to change it to a left-hand drive car, but the costs would be too high for a 21-years old car. With only 19,000 miles driven this car would be interesting for people who need seldom a car. $16,000 for another 10 years (or more) and because it's from Bill Wyman would be ok for me. But I would not like to drive the car permanently on the "wrong" side.

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 21, 2020 17:46

Snoopy I’m in Florida but a UA alumni. We could’ve traded the Indian Bill back and forth during the football season. Do you want to be home games or away?! Lol

Roll Tide

snoopy2
Ram

Roll Tide

You in Alabama? we could've gone in on Brian's Indian restaurant tab and taken turns putting it on our walls every other weekend lol

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home