Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Bill Wyman Archive Auction, Sept 12/13, 2020
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 13, 2020 05:41

mosthigh
Article and short interview with Bill about the auction:

[www.goldminemag.com]

Thx! enjoyed reading that.. I tried on almost every vinyl lot today and didn't win one.. Some pockets are deeper than others

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: September 13, 2020 06:27

mattleeuk

I am on 18 lots so far... nothing very major but some nice little bits... the highlight so far definitely being the Pink Towel and the Toilet Seat cover both mislabeled as 1975 items but are actually 1972. Sometimes you have to keep quiet about the mistakes... 1972 Tour is always worth much more. The ticket stubs were generally quite price with juice.

Bill Graham always went above and beyond for artists..in exchange he got a higher percentage than most promoters. For us collectors though it's great that he did. As a result we got shirts, pillowcases, towels, and yes even toilet seat covers.

Stunned they mislabeled these, especially since Bill's own book states that they were from '72 and there are plenty of photos out there that show the towels backstage at all of the BG shows.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 13, 2020 06:37

xke38
$106k for the legendary white Vox AC30!

It that's the amp that got Bill the Stones gig, that should end up in a museum as it is a real part of the modern history of the world, not just the band. It would be sad if it just sat in someone's private residence.

plexi

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 13, 2020 10:03

xke38
And $704k for Brian Jones's '68 Gold Top Les Paul.

Who would you think bought it? I have some thoughts, but not worth mentioning.
I could afford to offer only a bit more, but then without the "k" grinning smiley

Date: September 13, 2020 13:36

georgie48
xke38

I could afford to offer only a bit more, but then without the "k" grinning smiley

Someone in Stones organization, some banking HQ to hang in their lobby, or Jack Nicholson.. That, Bill's amp, and the toilet seat cover all belong in the Smithsonian smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-13 13:38 by snoopy2.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: September 13, 2020 13:56

I bid on the amp but I didn’t win... just for the adrenaline kick of bidding. The toilet seat cover though will be on display in my museum for all to see and might even make it into the book too!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 13, 2020 14:41

I was hoping the amp would have ended up in the Matt Lee museum where it began its life and where we could all see it.

plexi

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: September 13, 2020 15:41

I really wanted one of the Brian Jones signed items, especially the check from the Indian restaurant - so Brian! But they went a lot higher than I was prepared to pay for such an item.

I hadn’t planned on buying anything but was watching when the fan (masked as a stage monitor) came up. I thought it was a bargain for something that probably traveled for at least an entire tour and was probably used by the whole band.

It was labeled as likely being 1975, but I wonder if this could be 1972 as well? Someday I’ll comb through some photos to see if I can find it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-13 15:43 by joshbg2k.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2020 17:10

RobberBride
CaptainCorella

There's a huge (220mb) pdf of the catalogue at [www.juliensauctions.com]

Ha ha, if I d known, I would never have bought the three large books! winking smiley
(At the time I thought that was the only way I got to see details about the lot...the pdf seems to be a low res of the print file.)

There're also large pictures (size: 1584x2050 pixels) available from the 3 online Flipping-Books: [iorr.org] .

Flipping-Book 1: [www.JuliensAuctions.com] ,

Flipping-Book 2: [www.JuliensAuctions.com] ,

Flipping-Book 3: [www.JuliensAuctions.com] .

Click/tap on the zoom-icon for the large pictures.

Update: List of the winning bids (PDF, with prices) + 1414 pictures of the lots (size: 1500x1500 pixels) from [www.JuliensLive.com] -- [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-14 21:45 by Irix.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: September 13, 2020 21:16

You would like to think that Brian Jones's family would get something out of the sale of his personal items.....

Satisfied since 1976

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-13 21:17 by chriseganstar.

Date: September 13, 2020 22:08

mattleeuk
I bid on the amp but I didn’t win... just for the adrenaline kick of bidding. The toilet seat cover though will be on display in my museum for all to see and might even make it into the book too!

Can't wait to see your museum.. Finally got a small item of Bill's today (from 70s).. Still want something small from the Jones era tho so I'll reach out later.. Have fun today!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2020 22:35

One man's trash another man's treasure...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2020 22:55

Stoneage

One man's trash another man's treasure...

Expensive trash then - results of the auction: [www.JuliensLive.com] .

Date: September 13, 2020 23:35

chriseganstar
You would like to think that Brian Jones's family would get something out of the sale of his personal items.....

The Stones still pay ...

Date: September 13, 2020 23:38

snoopy2
georgie48
xke38

Someone in Stones organization, some banking HQ to hang in their lobby, or Jack Nicholson.. That, Bill's amp, and the toilet seat cover all belong in the Smithsonian smiling smiley

I think that with one of your three options you may be very close winking smiley

Date: September 14, 2020 00:14

It mad how people go for what they know... things like the phone without a box at $3,840 yet some killer, killer rare gems like the 1972 towel ($448) I picked up hardly had any bids. Those prices should have been the other way around. Knowledge is everything...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 14, 2020 01:11

snoopy2

That, Bill's amp, and the toilet seat cover all belong in the Smithsonian smiling smiley

NONSENSE!

The Rolling Stones are a UK band, not a creation of the USA (in which case it would be a reasonable point).

The British Museum would (nay, should) be the place for this sort of stuff. I already holds things like the manuscript for some famous Beatles' songs.

Also acceptable would be the V&A in London (who have John Pashe's tongue artwork and a staggering Bowie collection and more).

Cultural appropriation is not acceptable.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 14, 2020 02:56

Final scores on the doors... 43 lots won, a few lots I already wish I had gone harder on but overall happy and have some more great stuff for my museum (coming soon!)

Date: September 14, 2020 03:32

CaptainCorella
snoopy2

That, Bill's amp, and the toilet seat cover all belong in the Smithsonian smiling smiley

NONSENSE!

The Rolling Stones are a UK band, not a creation of the USA (in which case it would be a reasonable point).

The British Museum would (nay, should) be the place for this sort of stuff. I already holds things like the manuscript for some famous Beatles' songs.

Also acceptable would be the V&A in London (who have John Pashe's tongue artwork and a staggering Bowie collection and more).

Cultural appropriation is not acceptable.

sure, sure, fine, whatever, I simply meant for all to see.. try taking you're fingers off the caps, cap

Date: September 14, 2020 06:49

snoopy2

sure, sure, fine, whatever, I simply meant for all to see.. try taking you're fingers off the caps, cap

LOL! People in glass houses shouldn't throw spelling & grammar errors. No fee for the following corrections.

"Sure, sure, fine, whatever, I simply meant for all to see. Try taking your fingers off the caps, Cap."

I used a rare (for me) fully capitalised word to greatly emphasise my point. A valid reason, if used exceptionally. And cultural appropriation is exceptionally offensive.

Are you the same twerp who complained about the use of the word "Hell" in some postings recently? Maybe you are not, but are you by any chance related?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 14, 2020 07:32

CaptainCorella
snoopy2

LOL! People in glass houses shouldn't throw spelling & grammar errors. No fee for the following corrections.

"Sure, sure, fine, whatever, I simply meant for all to see. Try taking your fingers off the caps, Cap."

I used a rare (for me) fully capitalised word to greatly emphasise my point. A valid reason, if used exceptionally. And cultural appropriation is exceptionally offensive.

Are you the same twerp who complained about the use of the word "Hell" in some postings recently? Maybe you are not, but are you by any chance related?

Well if you find cultural influencing to be offensive then perhaps you should not listen to White Boy Blues.. No Clapton, No Zeppelin... No Stones.

So according to your rationale, Kathleen Battle isn't allowed to sing Opera because she isn't European... what a silly stmt imo

Date: September 14, 2020 09:15

SKILLS
CaptainCorella
snoopy2

Well if you find cultural influencing to be offensive then perhaps you should not listen to White Boy Blues.. No Clapton, No Zeppelin... No Stones.

So according to your rationale, Kathleen Battle isn't allowed to sing Opera because she isn't European... what a silly stmt imo

You misread what I wrote.

I did not comment on cultural influencing, but on cultural appropriation.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 14, 2020 13:50

Nah, I didn't misread it, I just rephrased your Stmt as too not be a bit socially exclusionary & culturally provocative for enclusive ears...

I'm Native American.

You possibly played "Cowboy's & Indian's" as a young child, i'm actually grateful of that..

You know who we are.

I love you spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 14, 2020 16:47

CaptainCorella
snoopy2

hey capt caps! guess yer not a fan of ee cummings (you'll probably correct it to e.e.)

aren't you a little old to use twerp? "hell" wasn't me tho, my posts -- with the exception of this one -- are 100% positive, always have been. you're def one of the grumpy ones tho smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2020 16:49

mattleeuk
It mad how people go for what they know... things like the phone without a box at $3,840 yet some killer, killer rare gems like the 1972 towel ($448) I picked up hardly had any bids. Those prices should have been the other way around. Knowledge is everything...

I love that phone tho! (no, I didn't buy it smiling smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 14, 2020 17:52

Bill Wyman Auction Breaks Records for Most Expensive Bass, Amplifier – Rolling Stone

[www.rollingstone.com

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 14, 2020 18:12

I was after the Brian Jones signatures as well.Also wanted the 75 green snakeskin stage outfit.Pleased to day I got the latter.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2020 19:19

Was a fun auction to participate in..

Funny to hear the auctioneer(s) stumble over some of the items.
If something had a Stones tongue on it.. he really got excited in trying to hype it.
Emotional Rescue items seemed to really throw him.
Cought him off guard every time that it wasn't just Emotional.. "And now this from the Emotional album"..a couple beats later he would add "Rescue" to the title.
Every single time.
Quite amusing..

Had the truck ready to go, and likely would have been driving home with the refurbished pinball machine, and a couple other oversized/heavy items, but had to cancel the trip due to the wildfires. And there was no way I was going to pay freight for those on top of the commission..
Glad they posted (and sent me via email) video of the newly refurbished machine though. They did a good job overall on auction I thought.. Although a die-hard stones fan/auctioneer may have done better cool smiley
Quite a bit more strategy involved in bidding than most auctions.. Being the last bidder before the bids mandatorily jumped (at 5k for ex., the bids changed to minimum 1k at a time, so being high bidder at 4500 etc., was a good place to be. Won a couple lots that way due to the large mandatory increases.

Congrats to Bill, at the end of the day, I think he did very well.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 14, 2020 19:30

How much did the pinball machine end on?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 14, 2020 19:55

Stoneage
How much did the pinball machine end on?

Final on it is now listed at $7,680 (after commission I believe). Not bad especially being newly refurbished and electrical switched to US etc.
If able to attend I likely would have been loading it up about now. Just as well I suppose, the wife wasn't exactly thrilled with the notion spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Also-
Any Londoners hit Sticky Fingers recently?
Must be a lot of blank spaces on the walls smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home