Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Bill Wyman Archive Auction, Sept 12/13, 2020
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:29

When you are paying 2X market value, at least, it had better be as an investment.

Just sayin.

jb

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:35

I think it would be a bad investment also, Timbernardis. It's too bulky. Takes too much space. Especially if you don't intend to use it. And then the shipping on top of that.
Investors tend to stay away from objects like that. Unless they are "hot" on the market. Which I don't think they are. Although men building "man caves" tends to look for them...

Date: August 30, 2020 00:40

jbwelda
Now I might well bid on that catalogue if it were available. Thats gotta be pretty rare.

jb

Sure, jbwelda. The catalouge, sealed, in mint condition with Wyman's autograph on it. Won't cost you much or take any place. I'm sure that would be a good investment.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 30, 2020 02:23

Chris Fountain
Selling away legacy and heritage from future family generations is simply wrong IHO.

I can guarantee you that this is being done in complete consultation with his family.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 30, 2020 03:14

Stoneage
jbwelda
Now I might well bid on that catalogue if it were available. Thats gotta be pretty rare.

jb

Sure, jbwelda. The catalouge, sealed, in mint condition with Wyman's autograph on it. Won't cost you much or take any place. I'm sure that would be a good investment.

I wouldn't buy it as an investment; I would buy it to look at.

jb

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:25

jbwelda
Stoneage
jbwelda

jb

I wouldn't buy it as an investment; I would buy it to look at.

jb

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: August 30, 2020 06:08

Hadn't noticed before, he is selling off his record collection! Reasonable opening bids too. Has some great stuff too. He is going to regret selling these, on the other hand he has probably digitized it for his own listening.

jb

Date: August 30, 2020 10:03

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 10:44 by Stoneage.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:39

Chris Fountain
Selling away legacy and heritage from future family generations is simply wrong IHO.

Maybe Bill has a hunch it's a lot of garbage that'll be worthless in 10 years time? And it's really the right moment to get rid of it and make a nice load of money?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 30, 2020 11:02

Not sure if it will be garbage,but it will certainly be worth less.
Still think the Stones organisation will snap up historical stuff for future exhibitions and museums.Clothes and instruments for sure.A pointless task bidding against the Big guns.Anyhow let’s see what they are interested in.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 30, 2020 14:13

jbwelda

jb

I used to have about 5 or 6 of the brochure! That's a search for another day... I will still have a couple. I own one, technically two Stones pinball machines. I kindly collected and paid for one on behalf of a gentleman in Arizona who had bought it on eBay. I arranged for it to be crated and air freighted (all at my expense) and then he never paid me back! He was delighted with it at first then ignored me for years and then eventually said sorry, he knew he owed me. Most recently claimed that it wasn't the condition I had sold it to him in! What? He had bought it on eBay from a third party! I was just helping him out... oh well, what a piece of shit. It was half my savings at the time.

Date: August 30, 2020 19:32

No good deed goes unpunished, you should know that by now, Matt Lee.

By the way, thanks for sharing your experiences. You are obviously a very serious collector. Impressive.

jb

Date: August 31, 2020 00:36

I think it's a wise decision of Bill to sell as much as possible of his collection while he still can. It makes things easier for his family.
And I guess he will enjoy the round sum of money that will be the outcome of the auction.

Date: August 31, 2020 18:47

Just checked my garbage bin in the garden and found a big box from Julien’s.A nice box containing the 3 hardback books (catalogues) from the forthcoming auction.Great colour pictures of the items and the Stones and Bill.Tempted to bid for a few more items!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 31, 2020 18:53

stargroover
Just checked my garbage bin in the garden and found a big box from Julien’s.A nice box containing the 3 hardback books (catalogues) from the forthcoming auction.Great colour pictures of the items and the Stones and Bill.Tempted to bid for a few more items!

I agree the books are impressive and the presentation is excellent.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 31, 2020 19:32

dcba
Chris Fountain

Maybe Bill has a hunch it's a lot of garbage that'll be worthless in 10 years time? And it's really the right moment to get rid of it and make a nice load of money?

I don't know about "garbage that'll be worthless in 10 years time", but I think now is a good time to sell. The generation that has an abiding interest in memorabilia form the era has money, and isn't getting any younger. And the same items may well fetch more while Bill is around to vouch for them and answer any questions.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 1, 2020 03:00

Apologies if this has been posted already...

There's a huge (220mb) pdf of the catalogue at [www.juliensauctions.com]

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 4, 2020 08:52

Guess what... The description on the Northampton poster (Lot 125) has been updated to declare it’s a reprint, not that there was ever any doubt in my mind.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 4, 2020 10:20

CaptainCorella
Apologies if this has been posted already...

There's a huge (220mb) pdf of the catalogue at [www.juliensauctions.com]

Ha ha, if I d known, I would never have bought the three large books! winking smiley
(At the time I thought that was the only way I got to see details about the lot...the pdf seems to be a low res of the print file.)

Good luck to everyone on the bidding -

Date: September 4, 2020 13:56

Remember celebrity ephemera is a volatile market. Some objects keeps value, most don't. And they aren't that easy to sell in return.
It's always easier to buy than to sell. And Bill Wyman isn't really an A-list celebrity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 14:05 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 10, 2020 21:02

Now live

[youtu.be]

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:16

$106k for the legendary white Vox AC30!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:12

And $704k for Brian Jones's '68 Gold Top Les Paul.

Date: September 12, 2020 12:26

The cream rises to the top... only got two items so far and nothing that essential. The really good stuff is doing well, missed my favourite item so far, it went for 4.5 times the estimate. Fabulous item, it's Beggars, it's an invite (relevant to the whole concept). This was always going to fly but went higher than even I thought it would. Oh well... the collecting continues

Beggars Banquet Invitation

Date: September 12, 2020 14:49

All fun and games at Bill’s Hollywood car boot sale.Cheap night out for those using the Rodeo Drive Cafes.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 12, 2020 18:50

Hey Mattleeuk! I know you're a very serious collector, wondered if I may have been bidding against you yesterday on any of the ticket stubs or brochures from the Brian Jones era? My pockets are not deep (right now) so couldn't compete -- But am writing you cuz if you ever have a small token (preferably a ticket stub) of that era you're willing to part with for a fee, it's all I really care about smiling smiley

Who knows, I may have something you'd like to trade for!

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 18:51 by snoopy2.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: September 12, 2020 23:32

SKILLS
masoudi
Matt Lee I’m hoping you aren’t bidding on the NZ poster. I lost out to you years ago on an auction here in NZ. I’ve always wanted that poster due to it personally being so important. I’m hoping your happy with the number of posters of that particular poster you have and will let me have a fair shot at it. I can’t compete with the level some people will pay. I’ve spent 30 plus years just trying to get 1 poster to display at home. It will be something I keep always and pass onto my children.

Cheers Brendon from NZ

If it's real, it's coming home. All of these "So Called" Originals need verification. I've seen THREE real one's in my day's as a New Zealand Collector since 1962, They are colour washed out, faded and aged. IMO none were framed around the time, some maybe later, but all look bleached

Hey - SKILLS, so is the Kiwi coming home? I sure hope you won it :-) (The price @ US$10K was as expected for such a rare and beautiful poster)

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 23:33 by rcfoxy.

Date: September 13, 2020 03:20

snoopy2
Hey Mattleeuk! I know you're a very serious collector, wondered if I may have been bidding against you yesterday on any of the ticket stubs or brochures from the Brian Jones era? My pockets are not deep (right now) so couldn't compete -- But am writing you cuz if you ever have a small token (preferably a ticket stub) of that era you're willing to part with for a fee, it's all I really care about smiling smiley

Who knows, I may have something you'd like to trade for!

Good luck

I am on 18 lots so far... nothing very major but some nice little bits... the highlight so far definitely being the Pink Towel and the Toilet Seat cover both mislabeled as 1975 items but are actually 1972. Sometimes you have to keep quiet about the mistakes... 1972 Tour is always worth much more. The ticket stubs were generally quite price with juice.

Date: September 13, 2020 03:25

Hi Skills,

I hope you got it too so it can go home to NZ. I was majorly slagged off when I bought the only other decent one to come up for sale which has been on loan to the Stones for 5 years now. It went for the minimum of my expectation ($12,800) but the 2,500 jumps at that level make it hard. You get bid up at 10,000 you have to come back in at 15,000! Ouch. I am please the Goat sweater went nuts ($28,125) as I already have it too.

rcfoxy
SKILLS
masoudi
Matt Lee I’m hoping you aren’t bidding on the NZ poster. I lost out to you years ago on an auction here in NZ. I’ve always wanted that poster due to it personally being so important. I’m hoping your happy with the number of posters of that particular poster you have and will let me have a fair shot at it. I can’t compete with the level some people will pay. I’ve spent 30 plus years just trying to get 1 poster to display at home. It will be something I keep always and pass onto my children.

Cheers Brendon from NZ

If it's real, it's coming home. All of these "So Called" Originals need verification. I've seen THREE real one's in my day's as a New Zealand Collector since 1962, They are colour washed out, faded and aged. IMO none were framed around the time, some maybe later, but all look bleached

Hey - SKILLS, so is the Kiwi coming home? I sure hope you won it :-) (The price @ US$10K was as expected for such a rare and beautiful poster)

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 13, 2020 04:11

Article and short interview with Bill about the auction:

[www.goldminemag.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home