Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Bill Wyman Archive Auction, Sept 12/13, 2020
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 24, 2020 19:36

Got any vintage reggae records in any of those shops?

jb

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 24, 2020 19:40

Hi Captain I would have guessed at 2000/2001 for that purchase.When I locate the diary I can give you an exact date.Here in Clutterville I am still trying to the full set of magazines,stored somewhere in a nice box.

Date: August 24, 2020 19:58

Cuba street in Wellington was also a good place for vinyl.I made purchases at Slow boar records and Groovey records.Sixteen years on they may well have folded.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 25, 2020 12:01

It's hotting up already... nice to see some of my predictions already coming true and there is still over two weeks to go!

Date: August 25, 2020 19:11

Some of the pictures are inaccurate.Take lot 969 .The blue stage jacket that Bill wears in the picture is not the jacket for sale.The stage jacket has studs and the item for sale has buttons on the shoulders.Yet they claim it’s the same jacket.Makes me wonder what other inaccuracies there are.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2020 19:45

stargroover
Some of the pictures are inaccurate.Take lot 969 .The blue stage jacket that Bill wears in the picture is not the jacket for sale.The stage jacket has studs and the item for sale has buttons on the shoulders.Yet they claim it’s the same jacket.Makes me wonder what other inaccuracies there are.

Good catch..
They do reference the jacket as having been used on the cover of "Stuff", where it looks more accurate.
They should have used the pic for that as it appears to be the same.

Date: August 25, 2020 22:04

Thanks for that MisterDDDD I got that Stuff recording in my collection somewhere with that cover will check it out again.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 25, 2020 23:19

stargroover
Plexi ,I just checked my diaries from 2004 and the record store was Waterloo Sunset records at Waterloo in Lower Hutt.The guy who ran it was called Colin ,who was actually a Telecom Engineer.He only opened the shop on Saturday.It was on Hardy street.Choker block with Stones vinyl from NZ but also from the rest of the world.Spent a considerable amount of cash there.I think Colin was in contact with Richard Fox,who I met up with when out there.The latter flogged me some vinyl and cd’s,and his gf made us a nice chicken dish.

Yes, I met up with foxy also when I was there. In fact, we had a mini-IORR gathering with him, me, Kahoosier and Midimannz. Foxy's collection is enormous and I know it has grown, probably substantially, in the last year.

There is also a record shop in Auckland named Groovy Records or something like that. Foxy, please correct me if I am wrong on that.

plexi

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: August 26, 2020 09:39

The 25% hammer fee in the small print is a killer. That $5000 poster just cost another $1250 plus fees plus taxes plus postage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2020 10:47

OUCH !!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 26, 2020 12:07

If you buy a pinnball machine or a large framed poster and you live in the middle of nowhere then shipping will cost a lot, and might exceed the cost of the item. I try to focus on items that take little space. There should be an indication on shipping cost, and grand total including all fees in any auction.

Bjornulf

Date: August 26, 2020 12:37

stargroover

I spotted at least 20 in under 5 minutes so lots... very typical of auction houses in general. They are put on a pedestal but they can’t know everything. No comment on the “signed” 7” other than it will be one Bill was given by a fan rather than collected himself.

Date: August 26, 2020 14:35

Talked with the auction house yesterday to try to get details on attending in person.. specifically how quickly one could retrieve the item(s) etc.
Not all items will be in the gallery, but those that are can be taken at the end of the auction. Many items are housed in their local warehouse which may take a couple days to retrieve.

Whether they will be able to host the in-person part of the auction is up in the air and dependent on the local coronavirus restrictions.. As of now.. with the numbers dropping in their county, they think they will likely be able to.. but no way of knowing.

Potentially bidding on a couple heavy and/or oversized items, which is primarily the reason for making the drive.
Haven't left the house much in 6 months, but with many precautions, still planning on driving down as of now..

Date: August 26, 2020 19:17

Wow.. knew this NZ poster would be sought after, but yikes.
At $3500 already multiplying the high estimate by many times over.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 26, 2020 19:35

Har har,

this one is great:

Date: August 26, 2020 19:42

I just hope they package stuff up well to send over seas.I bought a magazine from the US and they shipped it back to the UK.US customs had decided to Pearce the package ,presumably looking for drugs.When I opened it,the damage was right between Keef’s eyes.A beautiful recent cover pic of Keef mutialated.I almost choked on my cornflakes that morning.

Date: August 26, 2020 19:49

Matt you mentioned that 7 inch single given to Bill by a fan.Makes me curious as to Bill’s collection.I know he acquired some stuff from collectors.How can we be sure of the authenticity of some of the items?The autographed items for example?
Perhaps you can shed some light upon this?Thanks.

Date: August 26, 2020 20:16

Another item that has vastly exceeded the estimates .. already.

Can't really figure how with only three bids it has already jumped to $7k -ten times the opening bid confused smiley Impressive.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 26, 2020 21:54

I guess that if you can afford $7k (plus 25% overhead) on a t-shirt you can also afford to lose $7k. I would buy gold instead. Less volatile and easier to sell in return...

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 26, 2020 23:04

timbernardis
stargroover
Plexi ,I just checked my diaries from 2004 and the record store was Waterloo Sunset records at Waterloo in Lower Hutt.The guy who ran it was called Colin ,who was actually a Telecom Engineer.He only opened the shop on Saturday.It was on Hardy street.Choker block with Stones vinyl from NZ but also from the rest of the world.Spent a considerable amount of cash there.I think Colin was in contact with Richard Fox,who I met up with when out there.The latter flogged me some vinyl and cd’s,and his gf made us a nice chicken dish.

Yes, I met up with foxy also when I was there. In fact, we had a mini-IORR gathering with him, me, Kahoosier and Midimannz. Foxy's collection is enormous and I know it has grown, probably substantially, in the last year.

There is also a record shop in Auckland named Groovy Records or something like that. Foxy, please correct me if I am wrong on that.

plexi

Real Groovy Records in upper Queen Street is still there. It’s a smaller store these days

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: August 26, 2020 23:12

I have bought items from Juliens in the past, including Ronnie’s lyrics for Take a Look at the Guy. Shipping takes a couple weeks, and it comes from some art packing partner, so you can expect it to cost a bit more than you think it should. I didn’t consider the shipping prices obscene though.

Date: August 27, 2020 00:16

stargroover
Matt you mentioned that 7 inch single given to Bill by a fan.Makes me curious as to Bill’s collection.I know he acquired some stuff from collectors.How can we be sure of the authenticity of some of the items?The autographed items for example?
Perhaps you can shed some light upon this?Thanks.

You can't be sure... but people will believe because it is Bill's then it must be real. Just look at the Charlie autograph on the She Was Hot or the Ronnie one! the Ronnie one is flat bottomed, no shape. My comment was that this kind of stuff will have been given to Bill by fans as he was know as "The Collector". I gave him both lots 14 and 15 for example (I know because I commissioned the whole edition of 125). There are some amazing items that only he could have but precious little great Rolling Stones, non Bill stuff. Overall I find the auction very disappointing, it's great it you want some of Bill's clothes, equipment or awards though. My predictions on the hot items are already coming true and we still have two weeks to go!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 27, 2020 06:25

midimannz
timbernardis
stargroover

plexi

Real Groovy Records in upper Queen Street is still there. It’s a smaller store these days

Yes, I remember that they had moved there so recently that the address I got was for the old location and I had to find the new location. I did buy some stuff there as well.

plexi

Date: August 27, 2020 10:15

Thanks for your insight there Matt.

Date: August 27, 2020 10:20

I was hoping for some Charlie Watts art amongst the items for sale.Can’t spot any.Is there much of a market for Charlie’s art?Is it sought after by collectors?

Date: August 27, 2020 11:55

stargroover
I was hoping for some Charlie Watts art amongst the items for sale.Can’t spot any.Is there much of a market for Charlie’s art?Is it sought after by collectors?

Charlie has been approached many times to do books etc... with his art but has remained very private about so precious little is available. There were two designs of the Boogie For Stu concert poster one featuring a beautiful Charlie drawing of Stu. I have one of these signed by every performer including Charlie, Ronnie, Bill and Mick T. I do have one original Charlie drawing and in all my years of collecting it's the only piece I would regard as a proper piece of art I have ever seen for sale (not counting doodles etc...). I originally bought it on behalf of an American collector completely unseen, I was called from the live auction by a friend who lives near to Charlie saying you have to get this... it had been given by Charlie to a local charity for their auction. Fearing it would go too high I called in the heavy artillery agreeing should it go over my budget he would step in. The local paper reported it had been bought by an agent in London for a collector in America! When the collector thought it was time to sell being a man of class he sold it back to me. It's one of my favourite pieces.

Date: August 27, 2020 13:22

Hi Matt,that drawing of Stu must be quite a nice piece to have !
Rather curious as to the original Charlie drawing you have.What’s that of?
Charlie seems to have donated a few items of art to charity over the years.I have an original piece he did for David Bellamy and his charity.It’s a drawing of three butterflies and a hand done in black ink.Signed by him and dated 2007.

As regards the Ronnie signature on the She was hot item,it does look rather suspect.However I have a personally signed copy of 1234 and it’s not the best of signatures.Signed when he was rather loaded after the Irish solo gig in Dublin.

Date: August 27, 2020 14:18

The Charlie drawing I have is of a drum kit. I love the way he signs CR Watts - (Drummer The Rolling Stones). See below:

Would love to see the butterflies one!

There are rushed signatures and there are dodgy ones... the autograph has a completely flat bottom like it is signed on an invisible line. As for the Charlie, that really is just a scribble on this one.

Now here are some of the more rushed Ronnie autographs I have (all got in person). All have far more shape and character.

Here is what I would regard as a great example:

Date: August 27, 2020 14:53

To be fair Ronnie has been flatter in the past and I prefer this one which is also flat... The others are great... look at the Charlie, his actual scribble! It's the Charlie on that She Was Hot that I can't get my head past.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 27, 2020 15:52

That drawing by Charlie...what a treasure Matt! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home