Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Bill Wyman Archive Auction, Sept 12/13, 2020
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 21, 2020 18:28

stargroover
Matt have you actually examined that poster?

Only the image which too small to be conclusive, but Bill did admit to me he didn't get any posters at the time so circumstantially it would appear very unlikely to be the original given he has never wanted to spend money on them. My suspicions are also elevated by the very modest estimate compare with the other 60 poster or indeed the handbills. It's estimated very much inline with the copy handbill. If it was real I would gladly bid $10k. I am saving my pennies for other lots.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 21, 2020 23:58

Yes I follow your reasoning on the modest estimate .
The hand bills also make me curious.A bit sceptical as to their authenticity.Why would he be in possession of those when they are signed by Brian Jones?

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: August 22, 2020 10:16

Matt Lee I’m hoping you aren’t bidding on the NZ poster. I lost out to you years ago on an auction here in NZ. I’ve always wanted that poster due to it personally being so important. I’m hoping your happy with the number of posters of that particular poster you have and will let me have a fair shot at it. I can’t compete with the level some people will pay. I’ve spent 30 plus years just trying to get 1 poster to display at home. It will be something I keep always and pass onto my children.

Cheers Brendon from NZ

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 22, 2020 13:50

My guess is that almost everything will be overpriced at this auction. A couple of experts may do a good deal. Most bidders won't. Wyman will be a winner though. And getting rid of a lot of junk at the same time...

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 22, 2020 14:41

masoudi
Matt Lee I’m hoping you aren’t bidding on the NZ poster. I lost out to you years ago on an auction here in NZ. I’ve always wanted that poster due to it personally being so important. I’m hoping your happy with the number of posters of that particular poster you have and will let me have a fair shot at it. I can’t compete with the level some people will pay. I’ve spent 30 plus years just trying to get 1 poster to display at home. It will be something I keep always and pass onto my children.

Cheers Brendon from NZ

If it's real, it's coming home. All of these "So Called" Originals need verification. I've seen THREE real one's in my day's as a New Zealand Collector since 1962, They are colour washed out, faded and aged. IMO none were framed around the time, some maybe later, but all look bleached

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 22, 2020 19:20

Nothing is "overpriced" if people are willing to pay the bid it takes to win the item. And if "Matt Lee" or whomever step aside on a certain item, there will be others to take his place and outbid you if you are not willing to pay the premium things will bring.

And I don't think Wyman is selling this stuff to benefit himself...isn't the money raised going to one cause or another? Bill Wyman don't need the money.

Most of this stuff isn't mere consumer junk, it is genuine Rolling Stones detritus, with built in provenance and few copies if any in existance. You are not going to buy the Mellotron Brian Jones played anywhere else, just for one example.

So, those with the gold are going to walk away with the best stuff. The best we mere mortals can hope to achieve is ownership of some fairly insignificant trinkets, but those trinkets will have the provenance and the rarity to make them worth having. I am speaking specifically of things like the acetate of Let It Rock. I want that bad and it will probably sell for a reasonable price. Maybe more than I will want to spend on it, but reasonable all the same.

You have to remember the company you are in: the Rolling Stones and their serious collectors have a lot of discretionary income to spread around.

jb

Date: August 22, 2020 20:57

Jbwelda: It's bound to be overpriced since it's a Stone selling it. But what settles that in the end is if you can sell the same item you bought without losing money a week after the auction.
Yes, Wyman is selling all this stuff to benefit himself. But since he's 83 I guess he is planning for his posterity. Hence the auction in the first place. Charity? I don't think Wyman is a charity guy.
He comes from the working class. He knows the value of money.But hopefully maybe some of the most priceless items will find its way into a museum of sorts some day?

Date: August 22, 2020 20:59

Some thoughts: Wyman seems to not only collect quality items but also quantity. Almost like a horder. Where did he keep all these items? Did he rent a garage?

Date: August 22, 2020 21:19

When I met him he told me he kept two copies of each item where possible.He stored it at Gedding Hall.

Date: August 23, 2020 00:25

masoudi

Cheers Brendon from NZ

This isn’t down to me... one of the grossly under estimated items in the auction. Message me, although you did just admit you bid against me ;-) Assuming it’s real, not stuck or trimmed it will fetch a solid price. I do have a spare for trade but I have no clue when I am getting mine back from its loan to the Stones. It’s a genuinely rare poster, it’s the Goats Head Soup display of posters. Genuinely impossible to find, I have only ever owned three real ones. To put that into context I have had over 50 original Knebworth posters, over 25 promotional albums, this isn’t my first rodeo as they say.

Date: August 23, 2020 01:32

I was slagged off on Kiwi television and widely among kiwi fans but have had it out on loan for public display for over five years and at least another three for everyone to enjoy. I am so evil...

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: August 23, 2020 02:36

Sent you an email Matt. Cheers

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 23, 2020 04:19

SKILLS

I've seen THREE real one's in my day's as a New Zealand Collector since 1962,

Impressive. What attracted your attention to The Rolling Stones in 1962 from far away New Zealand?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 23, 2020 04:25

Stoneage
Hence the auction in the first place. Charity? I don't think Wyman is a charity guy.

That's actually a fairly offensive remark.

I've known Bill personally for nearly 40 years now and there's always been an undercurrent of Charity stuff going on. Not high vis like (eg) Bog Geldof, but nevertheless it's there. For years and years he did a Charity cricket thing (along with Eric Clapton) - and there's some sort of strange cricket record that he's very proud of.

Post your opinions by all means, but fact check first please.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 23, 2020 05:01

I agree Capt, I thought it was a pretty rude remark and I am almost sure I had seen somewhere proceeds from the auction go to some trust or society or something, but I could well have been wrong and haven't had the interest to check into it more closely.

I may well be confusing with Ron Wood's recent works, but at any rate that remark wasn't necessary and is probably not true at all. Just because a guy doesn't jump all around and draw attention to himself doesn't mean he is not donating heavily to one or more pet projects somewhere behind the scenes.

Kinda like, well, you know, the bass player for the Rolling Stones.

jb

Date: August 23, 2020 05:04

Oh and the more I look at the auction site, the more really kool stuff I see, and for not outrageous opening bids on some items. Nothing great mind you, haven't got the cash for that, but little stuff like road cases or label design notes or telegrams from Brian Jones are going for reasonable opening bids. Course, we are a ways off from actual auction day and I am assuming it will probably go like the typical ebay auction: the real action is in the last few minutes.

jb

Date: August 23, 2020 05:42

When I have bought stuff in the past from Bill and his son Stephen they have always been very fair with price.I remember one of my first purchases was the complete set of Stones fan club magazines.I was so desperate to get my hands on them I made a really high offer.Stephen immediately said I could have the magazines ,but at a much lower price.I was still a novice at valuations on such items ,and he stopped me from spending that amount.Explaining well actually that’s above what they are worth.That always amazed me !
And then of course after many more purchases of memorabilia I got the face to face interview with Bill down in Kings road.Some of you will have read the full interview in the legendary iorr magazine.
About time you brought back that great magazine Bjornulf!Great ,quality magazines and wonderful souvenirs.

Date: August 23, 2020 05:53

As regards the Kiwi fans when I was out in Auckland and various parts I met some lovely fellow Stones fans and collectors.Will have to name check the quaint record store I visited.But I remember they were quite happy to depart with original Decca pressings of Stones LP’s and singles from those very early days.They seemed quite happy for the vinyl to go to good old Blighty.

Date: August 23, 2020 06:29

You're right Captain Corella. An unnecessary comment by me. Thanks for your remark.

Date: August 23, 2020 07:00

Stoneage
You're right Captain Corella. An unnecessary comment by me. Thanks for your remark.

Fair 'nuff. :-)

And
stargroover

When I have bought stuff in the past from Bill and his son Stephen they have always been very fair with price.
I wonder who advised Stephen Wyman on prices... I wonder... :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 23, 2020 11:50

CaptainCorella
Stoneage

Fair 'nuff. :-)

And
stargroover

When I have bought stuff in the past from Bill and his son Stephen they have always been very fair with price.
I wonder who advised Stephen Wyman on prices... I wonder... :-)

I wonder too :-) I certainly know where he was getting lots of them from ;-)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 23, 2020 12:17

stargroover
As regards the Kiwi fans when I was out in Auckland and various parts I met some lovely fellow Stones fans and collectors.Will have to name check the quaint record store I visited.But I remember they were quite happy to depart with original Decca pressings of Stones LP’s and singles from those very early days.They seemed quite happy for the vinyl to go to good old Blighty.

Was it Marbeck's in Auckland? I was there about a year ago and picked up some good stuff.

plexi

Date: August 23, 2020 13:12

Something about Bill Wyman, and others, and Cricket

[www.theaustralian.com.au]

If you know anything about Cricket, you'll understand that a named mention in Wisden (the book of record) is a really big deal.

" Trawl through the pages of cricket's bible, the Wisden annual, and you will find him in the 1991 edition. It says: "Bill Wyman, fielding at gully, caught the ex-England captain Brian Close, one-handed, with a cigarette in his other hand." "

and "Wyman became the first man to take a hat-trick in a televised match at the Oval."

There's also a quote somewhere about how he & Eric used to know where to stand when fielding by looking for the scatter of cigarette ends from a previous over.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 23, 2020 18:52

Plexi ,I just checked my diaries from 2004 and the record store was Waterloo Sunset records at Waterloo in Lower Hutt.The guy who ran it was called Colin ,who was actually a Telecom Engineer.He only opened the shop on Saturday.It was on Hardy street.Choker block with Stones vinyl from NZ but also from the rest of the world.Spent a considerable amount of cash there.I think Colin was in contact with Richard Fox,who I met up with when out there.The latter flogged me some vinyl and cd’s,and his gf made us a nice chicken dish.

Date: August 23, 2020 19:01

Bill told me he always tried to collect two copies of each piece of memorabilia where possible.He also said he bought numerous stuff from a variety of collectors over the years from all over the world.
Much of his collection was acquired by Bill himself at that particular moment in time.

Date: August 24, 2020 05:23

stargroover
When I have bought stuff in the past from Bill and his son Stephen they have always been very fair with price.I remember one of my first purchases was the complete set of Stones fan club magazines.I was so desperate to get my hands on them I made a really high offer.Stephen immediately said I could have the magazines ,but at a much lower price.I was still a novice at valuations on such items ,and he stopped me from spending that amount.Explaining well actually that’s above what they are worth.That always amazed me !

Was that in February 2001?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: August 24, 2020 05:56

stargroover
Plexi ,I just checked my diaries from 2004 and the record store was Waterloo Sunset records at Waterloo in Lower Hutt.The guy who ran it was called Colin ,who was actually a Telecom Engineer.He only opened the shop on Saturday.It was on Hardy street.Choker block with Stones vinyl from NZ but also from the rest of the world.Spent a considerable amount of cash there.I think Colin was in contact with Richard Fox,who I met up with when out there.The latter flogged me some vinyl and cd’s,and his gf made us a nice chicken dish.

Hi Simon :-)
2004...wow such along time ago. Voodoo Lounge collection has grown since then! Not sure if Waterloo Sunset still exists. I will be down in Wellington in a few weeks so will check it out.

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Date: August 24, 2020 10:19

Hi there Richard it would be interesting to know if that place is still there.
Glad your collection is still expanding,I was pretty amazed at the time with all your memorabilia in the Voodoo lounge.Cheers Simon

Posted by: exil ()
Date: August 24, 2020 10:37

There Was Another Record Shop IN Lower Hutt Called Wonder Land Which Had Lots To Look AT.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: August 24, 2020 12:09

exil
There Was Another Record Shop IN Lower Hutt Called Wonder Land Which Had Lots To Look AT.

They have moved over the hill to Wainuiomata. I got some good stuff from there back in the 90's. Will check out the store in a few weeks.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home