Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith Richards quit smoking
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 10, 2020 09:11

Big Al
At his age, surely the damage - if there has been any, that is - is already done, though?

From the moment you stop smoking, your health will improve. This is valid at any age. Just waking up in the morning, may be while having a cold, I am sure it feels better.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 10, 2020 10:36

Quit smoking, eh? Is this like the one time he had "quit drinking",telling he only drank a bottle of Smirnoff a day? winking smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 10, 2020 10:38

Agree with BV about the fact that quitting itself does have health benefits but it's also true that the damage to one's lungs has already been made and is pretty much irreversible.

Not a doctor but I can take a look winking smiley J/K. In all seriousness, I used to take part in a smoking&health trial here in Finland. So I know a thing or two about the product despite having never been a smoker myself.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 10, 2020 14:06

There are two ways of looking at it, Keith might have been told by his doctor he really needs to stop for his heart and lungs, if that's the case he has nothing to lose by stopping, he will be fitter for it by tour time.
But if he is fine i would say it can be a mistake to stop, he's body will see it as a shock to the system after a lifetime smoking. My dad stopped age 70 and died three years later, he put on loads of weight after stopping and was stressed out without a cigarette. Before he gave up he was very active.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 10, 2020 15:10

keithsman
There are two ways of looking at it, Keith might have been told by his doctor he really needs to stop for his heart and lungs, if that's the case he has nothing to lose by stopping, he will be fitter for it by tour time.
But if he is fine i would say it can be a mistake to stop, he's body will see it as a shock to the system after a lifetime smoking. My dad stopped age 70 and died three years later, he put on loads of weight after stopping and was stressed out without a cigarette. Before he gave up he was very active.
Yeah, my Dad is 76 and has smoked since he was an early teen. He's cut back to a couple a day, but every time he tried quitting for good, he put on weight.

It's a horrible addiction and the temptation is everywhere.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: February 10, 2020 15:24

Cold Turkey???

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 10, 2020 19:17

24FPS
... but edibles is the way to go. Longer high, no quick come down.

If they take this advice all too literally, the Name Rolling Stones might get a whole new meaning ... LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-10 19:17 by doitywoik.

Re: Keith Quit Smoking?
Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: February 10, 2020 19:41

keithsman
Well done Keith, better late than never. Beggars the question why after all these years, looking forward to some nice clear vocals from Keith this tour.

Yeah I'm actually interested and curious to see if I will hear a difference, as well. I know that when he seriously curbed his drinking relatively recently (maybe not completely quit, but really dialed it back considerably) his guitar playing improved.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 10, 2020 19:58

keefriff99
doitywoik
As for Keith having quit smoking I wonder if this also includes weed (and not only cigarettes).
I seriously doubt it, and he doesn't need to quit. Weed smoke is less toxic...and he could always vape if he really wanted to preserve what are left of his lungs.

Vaping can be worse for your lungs. Amazingly worse actually.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 10, 2020 20:46

vaping is only bad if you are vaping material that has been laced with that vitamin E acetate oil...that stuff coagulates inside your lungs and can kill you. There is nothing dangerous about vaping clean material...but these days most bootleg cannabis cartridges have the Vitamin E oil in them, apparently. People vaped herb for a long time before this development came about. And I think there is very little if any danger from vaping legit nicotine cartridges. Although, you have NOT "stopped" smoking if you do those, you have merely switched the vehicles by which the nicotine is introduced to your system. No harm to the lungs from smoke, but you are still an addict.

By the way I was NOT speaking out my ass on my comment I posted earlier. It is way harder to overcome the emotional addiction of tobacco than it is the physical addiction.

And quitting does not kill you. That is foolishness that needs to stop being passed around.

Quit now, you will thank me in five years

jb

Date: February 10, 2020 21:10

TurningToGold2
keithsman
Well done Keith, better late than never. Beggars the question why after all these years, looking forward to some nice clear vocals from Keith this tour.

Yeah I'm actually interested and curious to see if I will hear a difference, as well. I know that when he seriously curbed his drinking relatively recently (maybe not completely quit, but really dialed it back considerably) his guitar playing improved.

Keith is funny really, he gives up things way too late, that article in the Mail where he says he's cutting back on his party lifestyle lol. I mean he's 76 and now he's decided to cut back hehe.
But yeah definitely this can only be more improvement to his energy on stage and his voice, as long as he holds back on the Shepards pie winking smiley

Date: February 10, 2020 21:18

floodonthepage
keefriff99
doitywoik
As for Keith having quit smoking I wonder if this also includes weed (and not only cigarettes).
I seriously doubt it, and he doesn't need to quit. Weed smoke is less toxic...and he could always vape if he really wanted to preserve what are left of his lungs.

Vaping can be worse for your lungs. Amazingly worse actually.
Yeah, I know...I'm not talking about the cheap contaminated vape cartridges that have been getting so much attention.

Willie Nelson switched to an herbal vaporizer to protect his lungs.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 11, 2020 00:46

Hey, if anyone knows Keith and he needs support in his abstinence from cigarettes, I quit my heavy smoking of thirty years. I had a two-day live-in program to help me. I only quit once, since I never wanted to go through it again.

Call me, Keith. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 11, 2020 01:50

Good discussion.
But the story is just Keith polishing his image.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 11, 2020 05:06

both my parents were very heavy smokers, and both smoked in the house, i knew at an early age i would never start, and i never did, my mother died of cancer at only 64, but she looked a lot older, my father is 79, he gave up smoking for 18 months 4 years ago then started again, hes beat cancer twice, but still continues to smoke, and he drinks to much and every day, yet outlived my mother by 15 years and is still going. its a sad story, both started smoking when there was no warnings about health, but what baffles me is why young people today start smoking when they know all the health warnings and can see what it does to peoples health, i hope keith gets a few more years for his quitting, maybe the band will go on a bit longer with his new found health.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 11, 2020 05:46

Speaking from personal experience (and as a former substance abuse counselor), quitting smoking was THE best thing I could have done for myself. It made a huge difference as far as my quality of life. Before I quit smoking back in the 1990's, I was typically winded walking up a flight of stairs (and I was not overweight by any stretch).

Date: February 11, 2020 12:05

If Keith is in good shape and has just given up smoking to be that bit fitter onstage and continue touring with the Stones for a few more years this is great news. Keith's Dad Bert lived to 90 still smoking and drinking to the end, I wonder if it's possible for Keith to go in into his 90's now. Giving up heavy drinking and stopping smoking makes this possible, he's giving himself the opertunity, man what a survivor he is underneath , he's always had this desire to still be here, I think the reason keith is still with us is because he so badly wants to be here. To some extent i think it's all in the power of the mind and a strong will. In an interview a few years back Keith said that he thinks the biggest most dangerous disease today is hypochondria, I'd go along with that.

Date: February 11, 2020 15:27

keithsman
If Keith is in good shape and has just given up smoking to be that bit fitter onstage and continue touring with the Stones for a few more years this is great news. Keith's Dad Bert lived to 90 still smoking and drinking to the end, I wonder if it's possible for Keith to go in into his 90's now. Giving up heavy drinking and stopping smoking makes this possible, he's giving himself the opertunity, man what a survivor he is underneath , he's always had this desire to still be here, I think the reason keith is still with us is because he so badly wants to be here. To some extent i think it's all in the power of the mind and a strong will. In an interview a few years back Keith said that he thinks the biggest most dangerous disease today is hypochondria, I'd go along with that.
You're just perpetuating Keith's mythology with that talk.

Keith could have OD'd on heroin the same as any other casualty of drug use in the '60s and '70s...I don't buy the idea that he was a "careful" addict or that he took special precautions by "testing for purity" and all that. When you're in the throes of heroin addiction, all you care about is that next fix.

Keith obviously comes from very sturdy stock, but the simple fact is he's just very lucky he never asphixiated.

Date: February 11, 2020 15:46

keefriff99
keithsman

Keith could have OD'd on heroin the same as any other casualty of drug use in the '60s and '70s...I don't buy the idea that he was a "careful" addict or that he took special precautions by "testing for purity" and all that. When you're in the throes of heroin addiction, all you care about is that next fix.

Keith obviously comes from very sturdy stock, but the simple fact is he's just very lucky he never asphixiated.

I completely agree with you, it's more luck than judgement that he is here at all, i just meant seeing as he is still here and seems to have dealt with his demons he has a good chance of making very old bones, as you say he comes from good stock, Doris was 93 i think and Bert 89. The long life genes are there in his DNA , if Keith were me he would have probably killed my body many times lol.

I'll give him credit for something though, watch him in an interview, he's drinking but just takes a tiny sip or too, his not a binge drinker, that's down to him. Perhaps he was the same with drugs, like he didn't try to get higher than high.

Date: February 11, 2020 16:00

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman

I completely agree with you, it's more luck than judgement that he is here at all, i just meant seeing as he is still here and seems to have dealt with his demons he has a good chance of making very old bones, as you say he comes from good stock, Doris was 93 i think and Bert 89. The long life genes are there in his DNA , if Keith were me he would have probably killed my body many times lol.

I'll give him credit for something though, watch him in an interview, he's drinking but just takes a tiny sip or too, his not a binge drinker, that's down to him. Perhaps he was the same with drugs, like he didn't try to get higher than high.
Oh yeah, he's definitely not a binge drinker...a big difference between him and, say, Ronnie.

I mean, I *DO* think Keith is marginally more disciplined than the average addict, but that's not saying much. Sturdy stock and some REALLY good luck are bigger factors to his survival than whatever self-control he was able to exercise, IMO.

Date: February 11, 2020 16:22

Yep i think you nailed it there Keefriff99

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home