Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Atlanta, GA USA/CA 2020 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: Telly ()
Date: July 25, 2021 17:36

Got my Lucky Dips from last year and now a room at the Fairfield Inn a relatively short walk from Mercedes Benz Stadium so ready for what will be my 21st and likely last Stones show.

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: July 25, 2021 18:13

smiling smiley so it's just a highway?

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 25, 2021 19:24

wolundamo
Is it possible to get there by bicycle?

Depends on the type of acid you drop.[/quote]

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-25 19:25 by shattered.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 25, 2021 21:00

keefmick
For those familiar with Atlanta, is mass transit/Marta a viable option to and from the show so don't need hotel walking distance from the Stadium? I may make a weekend out of the trip to Atlanta and can't get a hotel within walking distance to the stadium at this time. Thanks!

Yes, Atlanta has a pretty good rail/subway system called MARTA. You can lodge near the airport and ride MARTA to the stadium.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 25, 2021 21:44

steffialicia
What kind of area is the Georgia Tech Hotel in? I was told it's a 2.3 mile walk each way. Is this a relatively safe area?

This would have been a great location for the 2015 show at Grant Field. I would say the area is relatively safe (except homeless wanting money). I would go with a group though. Just your usual urban canyons to walk through. Also, there may not be sidewalks all the way.

A better choice would be down around the Omni/CNN Center area, if possible. The airport area remains an option, too.

Maybe Mongoose could offer some suggestions.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 26, 2021 14:58

Elmo Lewis
steffialicia
What kind of area is the Georgia Tech Hotel in? I was told it's a 2.3 mile walk each way. Is this a relatively safe area?

This would have been a great location for the 2015 show at Grant Field. I would say the area is relatively safe (except homeless wanting money). I would go with a group though. Just your usual urban canyons to walk through. Also, there may not be sidewalks all the way.

A better choice would be down around the Omni/CNN Center area, if possible. The airport area remains an option, too.

Maybe Mongoose could offer some suggestions.

Thank you. I changed my hotel to one near the airport but to tell you the truth, I don't know how I feel about being indoors with so many even though I am double vaccinated. I may nix the whole deal. Sad.

Re: Atlanta, GA USA 2021 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 26, 2021 16:49

Thanks Elmo.

Date: July 26, 2021 16:52

Steffialicia--I am right there with you. Planning on Charlotte and Tampa. I am double vax for awhile now but with this surge of Delta I am thinking twice about it. Supposedly with vax pretty safe and I gotta believe this will be last time to see the boys in the USA so I am still leaning towards going but will definitely see how this all shakes out in next couple months. A lot can change in that time period, hopefully for the better.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 26, 2021 17:05

keefmick
Steffialicia--I am right there with you. Planning on Charlotte and Tampa. I am double vax for awhile now but with this surge of Delta I am thinking twice about it. Supposedly with vax pretty safe and I gotta believe this will be last time to see the boys in the USA so I am still leaning towards going but will definitely see how this all shakes out in next couple months. A lot can change in that time period, hopefully for the better.

I've got my Tampa ticket already. Since it's outdoors, I feel somewhat better although I'll be wearing a mask.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 26, 2021 17:58

Atlanta has a retractable roof. It could be possible they open it if the weather is perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-26 17:59 by tonyc.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: August 9, 2021 14:31

Is $144 per ticket reasonable for rear GA for Atlanta?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 9, 2021 15:09

Sockers56
Is $144 per ticket reasonable for rear GA for Atlanta?

It seems to be face value. Remember to only search for Standard Price/Standard Admission tickets, only that gives you the face value tickets.

Date: August 14, 2021 23:27

Hi. What I was wondering, since it's a good price, how do you think Rear GA are?

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 14, 2021 23:36

Sockers56- Way back in Feb '20 I was on the same boat for St. Louis tix. 1st, that is the same price for Rear GA as they were in Feb '20. I asked the same question then. The majority responce I got was to buy the section behind the Rear GA which actually has a seat for $10 bucks less and is row 1 of that section. Now fast fwd a year and 6 months and I kind of wish I would have gotten Rear GA. With COVID and all, I could have just chilled in the back for $10 more. Your call though. As an Alabama fan, I love that Dome winking smiley

Date: August 15, 2021 04:08

Is Rear GA standing room only?

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 15, 2021 04:31

Yes

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: September 23, 2021 19:56

Zac Brown Band-[twitter.com]

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 23, 2021 22:12

artedm
Zac Brown Band-[twitter.com]

Interesting…I’ve never seen them live but think ZBB consists of some pretty good musicians.

Atlanta - PIT Tickets
Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: September 30, 2021 17:06

Dear all !

Finally we were able to book flights to Atlanta from Europe !

I was surprised that I couldn't find PIT Tickets for this show for the last days.
Everything else is wide open.

Has anyone of you seen any official Pit on ticketmaster lately ?

Cheers ! Josef

Date: October 6, 2021 00:05

Hi team--can anyone recommend a nice hotel walking distance to the stadium? I am taking my 2 adult(ish) daughters and want to be able to walk to and from the show and stay somewhere nice. I am thinking of either the Westin Peachtree or the Marriott Marquis but am certainly open to other suggestions. Unfortunately the Glenn Autograph is sold out. Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Telly ()
Date: October 6, 2021 00:58

Not sure it qualifies as nice but my & brother are staying at Fairfield Inn on Peachtree St. About a mile walk but a lot of it is stadium parking lots so assume there should be bunch of people making the journey at same time so hopefully a safer walk.

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: October 21, 2021 19:34

The below Pit tic is SOLD.

An IORRer bought it and Stubhub didn't get to gouge anybody on this one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Last night I put my Atlanta Keith Side Pit (2) tic on Stubhub for $552 (to me), $650 listed price, but, ouch, $809 is what Stubhub will charge a buyer with all the fees.

I'll take it down and sell it for $550 if an IORRer wants it.

Post is over in Ticket Trader

[iorr.org]

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-22 00:43 by TheBluesHadaBaby.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 24, 2021 22:09

Less than 3 weeks now till Atlanta concert, hoping to see some reduced price tickets from ticketmaster. Has anybody been able to pick up tickets outside the site for any Rolling Stones concerts this go round?

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: November 2, 2021 16:11

There should be an article about Chuck Leavell 'Georgia's own Rolling Stone' at the Benz in the Atlanta Journal which is not available in most European countries.

Can someone from the US post it here? Thanks in advance!

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 2, 2021 16:41

Chuck Leavell, Georgia’s own Rolling Stone, at the Benz, with the Lads

By Bo Emerson, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tree farmer and rock ‘n’ roller joins historic tour, the first without Charlie Watts.

“Charlie Watts would never want to be the reason this band would stop, I can tell you that.”

Chuck Leavell is sitting in front of the windows at his Charlane Plantation home outside Macon as the dogs bark to be let in and out.

He is on a brief furlough from the No Filter Tour, which began its last leg in October after the sudden death of drummer Charlie Watts, the dapper, driving wheel behind the World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band. The tour arrives at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium Nov. 11.

As the de facto music director of the band during the last 40 years of touring, Leavell not only handled keyboard duties, he frequently took charge of the music on stage, as a sort of conductor.

In performance he kept in eye contact with Charlie, since any signal by the music director has to be telegraphed by the drummer. They had a unique relationship and the loss hits him hard. After getting the news, he said, “I had to hide my face several times at the airport.”

But the show goes on, with long-time collaborator Steve Jordan on drums. Jordan, who played on Keith Richards’ solo projects, had already been tapped for this leg of the tour, because of concerns about Watts’ health.

During a Zoom interview from his Twiggs County home, Leavell took time to talk about life after Charlie, about auditioning for the Stones and growing trees in middle Georgia.

About Charlie Watts:

“We all are still pining and sad over the loss of Charlie. We knew that he was ill; we knew that he was not going to be able to make this tour, and he had already given Steve Jordan his blessing to do that. Actually we all expected a full recovery over time. So when the news came, I was in a car halfway to the airport to start rehearsals. I saw the email and it was just devastating. I had to hide my face several times in the airport, thinking of him and getting emotional. We miss him very much.”

“But you know Charlie Watts would never want to be the reason this band would stop, I can tell you that. We took a day or two to talk about Charlie and share some stories and grieve. And then carry on. And that’s what we’ve done. We honor Charlie, and celebrate him at every show.”

About Steve Jordan:

“He’s been part of the Stones family, so he was definitely the logical choice. You know Steve is a fantastic drummer. He has a slightly more aggressive style of drumming. We’re adjusting to him, and he’s adjusting to us, but it’s really, really working out well. He studied, and he studied hard.”

Taking the reins in 1989:

After a seven-year absence from the road, the Rolling Stones started practicing for the 1989 Steel Wheels tour.

“In 1982 every night was the same set. So I made the point: ‘Hey guys, you’ve got a deep well of material and we need to explore that. We need to bring some deep tracks into the set.’ And they all agreed, so I began taking these notes every time we would work up a song we hadn’t played in a long time, or the band hadn’t played in a long time. I would chart out the song by hand, make any notes if we changed the arrangement for any reason. Were there horns on it? What were the horn parts? Were there background vocals? What were they? And so forth. . . That has gone throughout my whole career, almost 40 years, with the band. So now I have these two encyclopedic notebooks with my handwritten notes in there. So we use that as a reference from time to time.”

Other band members rely on him during rehearsals: “Chuck knows the bridge? What was the key? Where’s the solo Chuck? I began to be the go-to guy for those issues. And then, it began to translate into the stage, especially when Charlie was alive.

“Hopefully I help to keep the train on the tracks. But look, this is the Rolling Stones, and you can expect a derailment every now and then.”

Giving up on a music career:

In 1981 his band Sea Level had ended, his trio wasn’t getting any traction and at the same time, Chuck’s wife Rose Lane had inherited land from her family that Chuck wanted to turn into a tree farm. He was turning 30 the next year and ready to call it quits.

“I came home one afternoon and I just wanted to vent to my wife Rose Lane. And I said ‘Rosie, you know I’m never going to stop music but the phone’s not ringing for sessions, this little trio‘s not going anywhere, and I’m really interested in the land and what we’re doing, so maybe I should just focus on that.’

“She listened very intently and patiently and finally she said ‘Well Chuck, guess what? The Rolling Stones called you today.’”

Down on the farm, risking his valuable fingers with a chain saw:

During this brief break in the tour Leavell repaired to his 4,000-acre tree farm, a setting that makes an appearance in the recent documentary, “Chuck Leavell: The Tree Man,” which is streaming on Hulu and Amazon Prime.

“It’s so great to be out in the country. I took a nice ride around on my four-wheeler yesterday to check out all the territory.”

People ask me, ‘does Lloyds of London insure your hands?’ No man! You know, common sense insures my hands. I love the physical work. I’m never going to give that up.

“Hauling around a chainsaw and cutting wood and stacking wood is fantastic exercise. I’m going to do it. But I’m going to do it very carefully.”

About his environmental work (and a certain immortal guitarist):

“I think it’s about time we all start thinking about what kind of world we’re going to leave for Keith Richards.
[www.ajc.com]

Date: November 2, 2021 18:35

I just read that the roof at Mercedes Stadium is sometimes open and sometimes closed. Is it likely to be closed for Stones given that it’s November and chilly?

Date: November 4, 2021 15:37

keefmick
I just read that the roof at Mercedes Stadium is sometimes open and sometimes closed. Is it likely to be closed for Stones given that it’s November and chilly?

I would think closed. The early forecast for next Thursday is Mostly Cloudy High 68 Low 53.

Date: November 4, 2021 15:40

My friend bought both tickets about three weeks ago in exchange for me doing the transportation. I'm surprised ticket prices have been increasing since then. If Ticketmaster is to be believed this could be close to a sellout.

I'm so looking forward to it. I hope the Stones stay healthy after having to perform in cold and wet Dallas.

Date: November 4, 2021 17:20

Thanks Tony

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: November 4, 2021 19:54

In STL on Opening Night I bought a Pit 2 (Keith) for $450 at box office around 7PM--that was $447 plus $3 facility fee--saved about $45 over TM price.

edit: This was in response to RSbestbandever inquiry re: buying outside the site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-04 20:03 by esqcjh.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home