Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Vancouver B.C. Canada USA/CA 2020 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: Kerryann ()
Date: February 9, 2020 01:03

Never been to Vancouver or in fact Canada before, and will be there for 4 days, so can locals please give us some tips on which areas have the best nightlife, restaurants, any live blues music venues, things to see etc.
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 9, 2020 01:49

Kerryann
Never been to Vancouver or in fact Canada before, and will be there for 4 days, so can locals please give us some tips on which areas have the best nightlife, restaurants, any live blues music venues, things to see etc.
I'm not a local but just found this:
Tourism Vancouver

Inside Vancouver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 01:52 by MAF.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 9, 2020 02:18

Couple things I would recommend off the top of my head are biking Stanley Park (can rent) or walking.. great scenic fun ride or walk..
I also really like the West End neighborhood.. great beach, restaurants, etc. Granville Island (as opposed to Granville Mall) is a great place to visit, farmers market, good food, crafts, theatre etc. Can take a water taxi to it from a few places around town, one being Yaletown, which is also a popular club restaurant neighborhood. Walking Robson Street shopping district (downtown) is always fun.. Also, Gastown is another great area to spend some time.. lots of souvenir shops etc.cool smiley

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: February 9, 2020 02:26

Kerryann

The hop-on hop-off bus is a good way to get around the city. Here’s the route map:

[westcoastsightseeing.com]

Tours and deals:

[westcoastsightseeing.com]

The city, specifically from Gastown west, is very walkable. Heading towards Stanley Park, Davie and Denman Streets are both excellent for many restaurants with various ethnic foods.

Other areas to explore for eateries are Gastown and Chinatown.

Small ferries along the north side of False Creek can take you on a very short ride to Granville Island, which is well worth the visit:

[www.google.ca]

The Stanley Park seawall is a great walk:

[www.google.ca]

On a clear weather day a trip to Grouse Mountain on the North Shore is worthwhile:

[www.grousemountain.com]

If you have the time a day trip to Whistler will offer spectacular scenery there and back. Several companies offer bus trips to & from Whistler. Again, make sure that the skies are clear!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 9, 2020 05:34

Vancouver's music scene is pretty dismal. Many live club venues have either closed permanently (Media Club, Dover Arms) or have closed then reopened as lame shadows of themselves (Yale, Railway Club) or are on the imminent chopping block (Fairview, Arts Club). All that's left are mostly dive bars near skid row (Pub 340, Ivanhoe, LanaLou's).

There ARE some smaller former movie theatre type venues that host many out of town bands like The Imperial, The Rickshaw, The Fox, and (my fave) The Rio in East Van, but for local bands, it's slim pickings.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 9, 2020 05:48

I can’t believe there’s finally a show thread for Vancouver smileys with beer
With the skytrain in the city, it’s easy to move around. Hope the opening act is worth an early entry.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 9, 2020 21:23

Seems like there is no Pit or GA for the Vancouver show.
Looks like all reserved seats on the floor.
Strange?
Maybe TM has posted the wrong seat diagram?

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Posted by: JessForte ()
Date: February 9, 2020 21:31

I honestly think the most fun you can have in Vancouver is doing a brewery tour. We have awesome breweries. Our music scene is pretty dismal, I'm a musician, I've played just about every venue, and in the 11 years I've been of age, I have seen the best venues either close or get bought out by chains and turned into a shell of its former self.

But if you're into blues, nowadays The Fairview is probably your best bet. There's still the saturday afternoon blues jam at The Railway.

Vancouver is at its strongest for outdoor activities, though. As others already stated, a trip to Grouse Mountain or Stanley Park. Also if you're going to Grouse Mountain, you have to stop by the Capilano Suspension Bridges!

And as someone who went to University of Victoria, if you can spare it, a day or overnight trip to Victoria is well worth it. I like Victoria better than Vancouver and would have stayed there if there were job opportunities for public school music teachers when I graduated. If you need suggestions there, that's my jam. It's known as the most English town in Canada, which might put you in a good Stones mood. So english that's where Harry and Meghan are moving!

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: February 9, 2020 21:35

spikenyc
Strange?

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

That’s what I thought initially too, but then see the disclaimer at the bottom of the seat map.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 21:35 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: February 9, 2020 23:21

Grab a coffee and sit in the new Amsterdam cafe... smoking smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 10, 2020 02:56

If anyone from L.A. is flying in on the day, one-way seats on a pair of Air Canada flights are now US$66. They were between $75 and $130-odd last week.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2020 03:00

mosthigh
Vancouver's music scene is pretty dismal. Many live club venues have either closed permanently (Media Club, Dover Arms) or have closed then reopened as lame shadows of themselves (Yale, Railway Club) or are on the imminent chopping block (Fairview, Arts Club). All that's left are mostly dive bars near skid row (Pub 340, Ivanhoe, LanaLou's).

There ARE some smaller former movie theatre type venues that host many out of town bands like The Imperial, The Rickshaw, The Fox, and (my fave) The Rio in East Van, but for local bands, it's slim pickings.

I saw Andrew Loog Oldham introduce Charlie is My Darling, a bootleg of the movie (before it's official release) at the Rio. Very cool.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 10, 2020 03:03

spikenyc
Strange?

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

The diagram on the TM site is wrong. There will be both pits and GA section.

Date: February 10, 2020 09:12

TornAndFried
spikenyc
Strange?

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

The diagram on the TM site is wrong. There will be both pits and GA section.

Yes. The other day they had the layout for Jay-z/Beyonce with 2 runways and no GA.

It's funny because I emailed TM about the mistake and now they've replaced it with what looks like Paul McCartney's floor plan. Lol! confused smiley

Date: February 10, 2020 16:36

treaclefingers
mosthigh

I saw Andrew Loog Oldham introduce Charlie is My Darling, a bootleg of the movie (before it's official release) at the Rio. Very cool.

Dude I saw that too! Got him to sign one of my albums.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: February 10, 2020 19:18

DeanGoodman
If anyone from L.A. is flying in on the day, one-way seats on a pair of Air Canada flights are now US$66. They were between $75 and $130-odd last week.

Won't commit to airfare tickets until I know I have Pit tickets.

Date: February 11, 2020 03:49

JessForte
treaclefingers
mosthigh

I had a really bad cold, took a neo citran and went anyway. Glad I did! I shoulda got him to sign an album, never thought of that. Which album?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 11, 2020 06:25

2014Slayer
DeanGoodman

Won't commit to airfare tickets until I know I have Pit tickets.

The Air Canada sale is a Valentine's Day sale I believe, you have to book by Feb 14. So...get the Pit tix in the morning and the flights by midnight winking smiley

As far as committing...I think I just committed well over 1500+ USD to flights from Helsinki and back (and everything in-between) and obviously have zero tickets to the four shows I plan to attend.

Sometimes you need to be confident. And I wouldn't sweat over tickets anyway. These are big venues.

Date: February 11, 2020 08:11

Vancouver has its own song!

I see her on the highway
I see her on the SkyTrain
Yeah I need a Yellow Cab, hey
Help me get out of this rain, yeah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-11 08:12 by Topi.

Date: February 11, 2020 09:26

treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
mosthigh

I had a really bad cold, took a neo citran and went anyway. Glad I did! I shoulda got him to sign an album, never thought of that. Which album?

Got him to sign Out of Our Heads. M

On a totally different note, man I'm so excited, my partner's dad just phoned me a short while ago and told me to get the best possible tickets I could procure and gave me his Amex info. He said it's my birthday present. Damn not even my own parents like me this much. Hoping to score pit in the Amex presale.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: February 11, 2020 09:38

Topi
Vancouver has its own song!

I see her on the highway
I see her on the SkyTrain
Yeah I need a Yellow Cab, hey
Help me get out of this rain, yeah

I thought the SkyTrain referred to the low-cost transatlantic airline run by Freddie Laker. It opened in 1977 - when this song was recorded.

Date: February 11, 2020 10:07

Look, I was joking =)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:33

i wish i could go to this but due to some serious health issues & finances most likely won't be able to. maybe i'll be able to pull it off later but right now can't commit the cash. also, my immune system is not good so big crowds are out for me. i'm lucky i saw a fantastic show in seattle last year. still somewhat bummed but trying to be smart for a change. sad smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 11, 2020 22:13

crholmstrom
i wish i could go to this but due to some serious health issues & finances most likely won't be able to. maybe i'll be able to pull it off later but right now can't commit the cash. also, my immune system is not good so big crowds are out for me. i'm lucky i saw a fantastic show in seattle last year. still somewhat bummed but trying to be smart for a change. sad smiley

Glad you were able to make Seattle last year!
One of the best Seattle shows in recent memory imo.

Won't be from me winking smiley, but sure there will be plenty of live streams!

Posted by: britstones ()
Date: February 12, 2020 03:19

Ticketmaster is finally showing the proper stage layout.

Date: February 12, 2020 07:54

britstones

Except they won't be selling seats behind the stage.

Close enough, though.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 08:40

mosthigh
britstones

Except they won't be selling seats behind the stage.

Close enough, though.

Looking at the map, the cutoff for the lower bowl is probably sections 217 and 238.

Date: February 12, 2020 16:14

JessForte
treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
mosthigh

On a totally different note, man I'm so excited, my partner's dad just phoned me a short while ago and told me to get the best possible tickets I could procure and gave me his Amex info. He said it's my birthday present. Damn not even my own parents like me this much. Hoping to score pit in the Amex presale.

Good luck and happy birthday! My bday is today!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 12, 2020 16:19

treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
mosthigh

happy birthday fellow aquarian!

Date: February 12, 2020 16:22

crholmstrom
treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
JessForte
treaclefingers
mosthigh

happy birthday fellow aquarian!

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home