Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2020 05:52

Taylor1
I always found interesting Keith’s main home for 30 yearsis in Greenwich CT.I live about 10 miles from him , and if you don’t know Greenwich , it is a very upscale suburban community. But it is not exotic or historical.It does not have spectacular topography or beautiful countryside.Its about 30miles north of NYC,but it’s really bland suburbia.

I knew he lived in CT but never knew where. A couple years ago, I had to go to Fairfield CT for work for a week. And only after I was back home, did it hit me ... and I looked it up and realized I was probably 10-15 mins from his home. If I knew when I was there, I definitely would have taken a ride past his property. And if he was in yelling distance, I probably would have ripped into him for the lack of a Stones album!

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 1, 2020 07:16

What we still don't know - and it's all I care about in this context is this:

Has Giles Martin's remix cleared away the murk that spoiled the original album?

A clearer sharper GHS would be wonderful. And a better drum sound would be nice. On Silver Train the snare sounds like a chop stick hitting a wet paper bag. Can't wait for Friday.... and I hope I'm not disappointed....

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 1, 2020 07:45

I believe that murk is called "atmosphere" and I seriously doubt it will be cleared up to any substantial degree. The mix might be improved some but I think the murk was inherent to the recording. It was done in Jamaica after all.

jb

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 1, 2020 09:24

bakersfield
What we still don't know - and it's all I care about in this context is this:

Has Giles Martin's remix cleared away the murk that spoiled the original album?

A clearer sharper GHS would be wonderful. And a better drum sound would be nice. On Silver Train the snare sounds like a chop stick hitting a wet paper bag. Can't wait for Friday.... and I hope I'm not disappointed....

thumbs up

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 09:33

The question is what was his job. Was he engaged to improve the original mix or was it his job to do a completely new and modern mix? We will hear on Friday

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2020 09:38

Studio Kinda Cloudy .............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 1, 2020 10:42

Cloudy with a chance of clearing on Friday

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 1, 2020 10:46

I wonder how long will it take on Friday for a flip from 'Even better than I thought it was going to be!' to 'It sucks, a missed opportunity'. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 11:55 by ironbelly.

Date: September 1, 2020 11:21

Awwww yeah ironbelly it wont take long
before the misery gang escape from the
retirement village and ride down inta town .....hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 1, 2020 11:46

Well put, Rockieeeeeeee. HAHA.

Can´t wait for Friday.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 13:02

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
bye bye johnny
Keith doesn't live in Greenwich.
You are right,he lives in an adjacent town to Greenwichcalled Weston which is also bland suburbia.Located about an hours drive north of NYC. it’s even more boring than Greenwich.Its not on the Long Island Sound ,and it has nothing special in terms of topography.Nice upscale suburban community with no nightlifeNice little town,expensive.Pretty woods and foliage, but not like living on the Isle of Capri or the South of France

Bland suburbia...

Let's see. It's not far from Long Island Sound. Keith's home is surrounded by forests.
It's similar to where I live: across the lake from New Orleans, surrounded by trees and bayous and it's generally quiet.

Explain what's boring and bland and in comparison to what doesn't qualify as boring and bland for you.
Ive lived within 20 miles of Weston most of my life.It is not surrounded by forests.It has wooded areas but they are not forests.There is nothing that beautiful about the topography.No mountains,large lakes or ocean.It is not country living either as there is quite a lot of suburban development.Mostly upscale white people.No museums, nightclubs, or sports teams.The closest city is Stamford, about 10 miles away.And Stamford is a small city.Weston is great to raise kids or if you want a real upscale suburban existence, but it is boring.Its great like I said to raise your kids and wiz over to the local Starbucks, but not a wild place.Thinking of the guy throwing the tv out of the hotel room in CS Blues, I can’t picture him living there

So you're uptight and disappointed that Keith lives in the middle of nowhere.

I looked at it on Google Maps - tons of trees around. That's forest.

You have a skewed vision of what life is it seems. You describe what it doesn't have as if it's not the city.

How enlightening.

Gee, it's not a city.

Goddamn. Stop whining.
I think I’m more qualified than someone like you who has never been there to talk about what it’s like there.America has many spectacular places like the lands in Utah and California, beaches like the Big Sur, Floridaand Cape Cod . Great, exciting cities like NYC, Miami, SanFrancisco.Thats why international tourists flock to them.There are no tourists who flock to Weston or Fairfield County where it is located.There are no forests for hunters or tourists to look at beautiful mountains or lakes.Its bland upscale suburban living. Going to Starbucks or the ice cream shop is the big Saturday night event for most people.Again,a great place for families.Very wholesome.But if I had his money I’d live somewhere spectacularly beautiful like the Isle of Capri. You should really go to Weston and see for yourself ,before you judge my comments Im not upset he doesn’t live in the city. But it’s not a country estate really .Its pure upscale NYC suburbia.Which is great.It just strikes me as funny that the rock n roll King lives there.Next time you are in New York you and I will take a ride to Westonand hang out at the ice cream shop.Maybe Keith will be there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 13:10 by Taylor1.

Date: September 1, 2020 13:05

Keith has lived thru some crazy times....
Maybe he and Patti enjoy the serenity together...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 1, 2020 13:25

Taylor1

But if I had his money I’d live somewhere spectacularly beautiful like the Isle of Capri.

Rockman

Maybe he and Patti enjoy the serenity together...

Yeah - and not to forget the seclusion of where Charlie lives ....

Date: September 1, 2020 13:27

<There are no tourists who flock to Weston or Fairfield County where it is located>

Wouldn't you seek some peace and quiet in an area like that, if you were a superstar, barely able to walk the streets before people flock around you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 18:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 1, 2020 15:10

I’d live in the Tuscany Valley, countryside of France, parts of California,Fisher Islandand other places where there is plenty of privacybefore I’d live in Fairfield County.It isn’t even that quiet.There are lot of people around.Its just very nice upscale suburbia.If you come to visit you will know what I mean.In fact several people have said they see him at a local Italian restaurant eating out in the public with other patrons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 15:19 by Taylor1.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: September 1, 2020 15:46

Sounds like a place where he can blend into the background and live a "Normal" life and not be in a gated community. He has other properties to mix things up and change the vibe and scenery.

Date: September 1, 2020 16:01

Taylor1
I’d live in the Tuscany Valley, countryside of France, parts of California,Fisher Islandand other places where there is plenty of privacybefore I’d live in Fairfield County.It isn’t even that quiet. There are lot of people around.Its just very nice upscale suburbia.If you come to visit you will know what I mean.In fact several people have said they see him at a local Italian restaurant eating out in the public with other patrons

But Keith also lives in the Turks & Caicos, in Jamaica etc. He already has those properties to go to if he wants to.

I've been there. Only passed through, though.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 16:28

Why the hell are we talking about where the lads live on this thread? Just because of a picture of Keith holding a phone? Good grief, this thread has taken a ridiculous turn. I hope with the actual release of the various iterations of this record we’ll get it back on track. I’ll be back Friday.

Rod

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 1, 2020 17:25

bitusa2012
Why the hell are we talking about where the lads live on this thread? Just because of a picture of Keith holding a phone? Good grief, this thread has taken a ridiculous turn. I hope with the actual release of the various iterations of this record we’ll get it back on track. I’ll be back Friday.
You are wrong. It is better to stay away from this thread on Friday winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 1, 2020 18:17

bitusa2012

I've asked more than once about Glyn Johns's role with this album. Hopefully the liner notes shed some light on his involvement because until this deluxe release it's been zero.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2020 18:27

hockenheim95
The question is what was his job. Was he engaged to improve the original mix or was it his job to do a completely new and modern mix? We will hear on Friday

A new mix is a new mix. There's no way to improve the original mix. That would require a board with memory and to my knowledge that didn't exist in 1973.

It wouldn't be surprising if there is a little more clarity with Giles' mix.

Date: September 1, 2020 18:32

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
bye bye johnny
Keith doesn't live in Greenwich.
You are right,he lives in an adjacent town to Greenwichcalled Weston which is also bland suburbia.Located about an hours drive north of NYC. it’s even more boring than Greenwich.Its not on the Long Island Sound ,and it has nothing special in terms of topography.Nice upscale suburban community with no nightlifeNice little town,expensive.Pretty woods and foliage, but not like living on the Isle of Capri or the South of France

Bland suburbia...

Let's see. It's not far from Long Island Sound. Keith's home is surrounded by forests.
It's similar to where I live: across the lake from New Orleans, surrounded by trees and bayous and it's generally quiet.

Explain what's boring and bland and in comparison to what doesn't qualify as boring and bland for you.
Ive lived within 20 miles of Weston most of my life.It is not surrounded by forests.It has wooded areas but they are not forests.There is nothing that beautiful about the topography.No mountains,large lakes or ocean.It is not country living either as there is quite a lot of suburban development.Mostly upscale white people.No museums, nightclubs, or sports teams.The closest city is Stamford, about 10 miles away.And Stamford is a small city.Weston is great to raise kids or if you want a real upscale suburban existence, but it is boring.Its great like I said to raise your kids and wiz over to the local Starbucks, but not a wild place.Thinking of the guy throwing the tv out of the hotel room in CS Blues, I can’t picture him living there

So you're uptight and disappointed that Keith lives in the middle of nowhere.

I looked at it on Google Maps - tons of trees around. That's forest.

You have a skewed vision of what life is it seems. You describe what it doesn't have as if it's not the city.

How enlightening.

Gee, it's not a city.

Goddamn. Stop whining.
I think I’m more qualified than someone like you who has never been there to talk about what it’s like there.America has many spectacular places like the lands in Utah and California, beaches like the Big Sur, Floridaand Cape Cod . Great, exciting cities like NYC, Miami, SanFrancisco.Thats why international tourists flock to them.There are no tourists who flock to Weston or Fairfield County where it is located.There are no forests for hunters or tourists to look at beautiful mountains or lakes.Its bland upscale suburban living. Going to Starbucks or the ice cream shop is the big Saturday night event for most people.Again,a great place for families.Very wholesome.But if I had his money I’d live somewhere spectacularly beautiful like the Isle of Capri. You should really go to Weston and see for yourself ,before you judge my comments Im not upset he doesn’t live in the city. But it’s not a country estate really .Its pure upscale NYC suburbia.Which is great.It just strikes me as funny that the rock n roll King lives there.Next time you are in New York you and I will take a ride to Westonand hang out at the ice cream shop.Maybe Keith will be there

I've been all around New England and New York. I know enough, I've seen enough. I just don't understand why you're so disappointed. It's like your little hero has let you down. It makes zero sense. And you keep bringing up Starbucks etc, like that is some kind of barometer for culture - it's just a coffee place. For whatever reason you're using that as a gauge. It's fake.

If you had his money... you don't have his mindset or life experience. Money has nothing to do with it. There's probably very good reason for why it was decided to live there and it's clearly reason that you are not able to be cognizant of.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 1, 2020 18:36

GasLightStreet
There's probably very good reason for why it was decided to live there ...

Like because Patti's family is from nearby.

Date: September 1, 2020 18:37

ChrisL
GasLightStreet
There's probably very good reason for why it was decided to live there ...

Like because Patti's family is from nearby.

That's a pretty damn good reason then.

Date: September 1, 2020 18:44

Maindefender
bitusa2012

I've asked more than once about Glyn Johns's role with this album. Hopefully the liner notes shed some light on his involvement because until this deluxe release it's been zero.

It looks like he provided a mix that the band weren't too happy with. Either that, or he did it now.

Probably the former?

Date: September 1, 2020 18:46

bitusa2012

It was too stupid and judgmental not to comment on.

Date: September 1, 2020 18:52

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
bitusa2012

It looks like he provided a mix that the band weren't too happy with. Either that, or he did it now.

Probably the former?

Maybe it was just to get a different mix even though Andy Johns mixed the album. He's not credited anywhere on the album so it seems any involvement he had was after recording was finished.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 1, 2020 18:58

Isn’t it pretty well-known that Keith moved from New York City to Weston, CT. I’ve read it was due to being a safer environment for his children. He also has a residency in the Turks and Caicos (British Overseas Territory) and the rather famous Redlands, in West Wittering, West Sussex.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2020 19:54

ironbelly
I wonder how long will it take on Friday for a flip from 'Even better than I thought it was going to be!' to 'It sucks, a missed opportunity'. winking smiley

Seems many people (mostly old timer fans) already ranked the original studio album fairly low, i.e. a major letdown after Exile, uneven, Angie sucked as a first single, horrible overall sound, Mister D is a joke, etc., etc., etc.
I was only ten when it was originally released, so none of that stuff phased me - I loved hearing Angie on the radio, my older brother had the album, and I thought the cover was cool and creepy looking. It wasn't until several years later I bought the album myself, but by then already loved it for what it was. In fact I've always love almost everything about it (Star Star is a bit weak imo), and look forward to the new deluxe package (two cd and two vinyl versions). I have a feeling it will be some of the old timers who used to criticize and rank it low it who will be the most vicious critics, and we've already seen some of that before it's released - i.e., a missed opportunity, Giles Martin will ruin it, not enough bonus tracks, why this and not that, etc., etc., etc. Funny though how much attention this album is now getting from the fans, but wonder how much attention it will garner with the general public? It's nearly a 50 yer old album w/a few extras thrown on to it...will anybody outside of Stones fandom really care? In contrast, based on the general success of Ghost Town, I imagine a brand new album would make a massive impact, and if they put as much time and energy into promoting it as they have this GHS oldie deluxe, the skies the limit. Maybe some day we'll find out...hopefully.

Date: September 1, 2020 20:29

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
bitusa2012

Probably the former?

Maybe it was just to get a different mix even though Andy Johns mixed the album. He's not credited anywhere on the album so it seems any involvement he had was after recording was finished.
Could it be he mixed them in 1973 and the Stones rejected them or he did them recently for the deluxe album, instead of his brother since his brother passed

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home