Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:01

Erik_Snow

Yes, the bonus material is what's interesting, not any "new remaster". But I don't feel I need these new "vault releases" on vinyl, as they are not like an ancient part of history like them original LPs. And they sound just like the CD releases. They are also "collectors items" allready when being put to the market and that doesn't make them only "purchaseable items" in my book. So I only care about the music itself when it comes to retrospective releases, not the "item thingy".....meaning that CDs will do the trick for me

Exact same here! I barely need 'em on CD these days either, but prefer physical medium of really good or important releases. Sadly, the Stones' vault releases have been disappointing in terms of booklets, photos, essays, etc.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:04

spunky
Update on the Dutch Amazon Super Deluxe CD Box deal:

Price and release date changed to September 4th, €30,22
[www.amazon.nl]

Still a reasonable deal considering the official price is over twice that much.

So I would think those who paid €18,99 should have their orders honored as there usually is an Amazon locked-in price guarantee for pre-orders (at least there is for Amazon USA), but they'll have to wait an extra few months to receive it - unlesss the date for that has been moved up which would probably be the case. And those that pay the new discount price will receive it on Official release day.
For anyone who ordered at €18,99. curious to know if your pre-order is still valid, and/or were you sent any notification of a mistake or a price change, and what does it look like in your account under "orders"?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:07

exilestones
ironbelly
[www.instagram.com]

jimmypage

Scarlet by @therollingstones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on @bbcradio2 with @zoetheball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd. Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

Thanks!

Notice the date on the box.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!! So it's confirmed now it's not even a GOATS HEAD SOUP track tongue sticking out smiley Looks like it was done during mixing and overdubbing for IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL.

Can anyone make out the two producers names? I see Glimmers but can't really tell about the other one. Also, I'm guessing the only two Stones on "Scarlet" are Mick and Keith? Very much like "IORR" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 21, 2020 20:12

Looks like Glimmers and Others, but I could be wrong....

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 21, 2020 20:51

JordyLicks96
So it's confirmed now it's not even a GOATS HEAD SOUP track tongue sticking out smiley Looks like it was done during mixing and overdubbing for IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL.

I think they've been trying to find a way to release this since Don Was was (haha) talking about it ten years ago. It might just fit better with GHS than IORR?

I wonder if they considered this to be the original IORR b-side, but used Through the Lonely Nights instead? Maybe this lead to some of the confusion about Page erroneously being thought to play on Lonely Nights.

Despite this, I can still see a IORR deluxe reissue with a *much needed* remix. The lead single is a smash hit, plus they can augment it with Living in the Heart of Love, Drift Away (could be a modern hit), Fast Talking (curiously missing from the current GHS reissue), and even LA Friday as a bonus disk.

Looking through the Taylor-era outtakes, that would pretty much wrap up the songs with vocals, except Hillside Blues and Traveling Man (smileys with beer). So unless Jagger wants to write some lyrics for Potted Shrimp and Windmill, that might be it. sad smiley

Date: July 21, 2020 21:45

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 21, 2020 22:42

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 21, 2020 22:49

Saw this comment on Facebook regarding Amazon.nl:

"Amazon nl is new and has been messing up prices all the time. When they find out they cancel the order, same thing happened with upcoming McCartney deluxe edition."

Date: July 21, 2020 23:10

TravelinMan
JordyLicks96
So it's confirmed now it's not even a GOATS HEAD SOUP track tongue sticking out smiley Looks like it was done during mixing and overdubbing for IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL.

I think they've been trying to find a way to release this since Don Was was (haha) talking about it ten years ago. It might just fit better with GHS than IORR?

I wonder if they considered this to be the original IORR b-side, but used Through the Lonely Nights instead? Maybe this lead to some of the confusion about Page erroneously being thought to play on Lonely Nights.

Despite this, I can still see a IORR deluxe reissue with a *much needed* remix. The lead single is a smash hit, plus they can augment it with Living in the Heart of Love, Drift Away (could be a modern hit), Fast Talking (curiously missing from the current GHS reissue), and even LA Friday as a bonus disk.

Looking through the Taylor-era outtakes, that would pretty much wrap up the songs with vocals, except Hillside Blues and Traveling Man (smileys with beer). So unless Jagger wants to write some lyrics for Potted Shrimp and Windmill, that might be it. sad smiley

Actually looking at the other thread for "Scarlet" it reads as October 5, 1974 like it says on Nico's site. In that regard it wasn't really recorded for any specific album. Interestingly, they didn't seem to want to record it with the rest of the Stones. Mick did an unverified solo recording of the track in Brazil in January 1976. Unfortunately it was forgotten all these years until now. I can't believe we're all finally going to be hearing the song tomorrow in 2020!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 21, 2020 23:35

JordyLicks96

Actually looking at the other thread for "Scarlet" it reads as October 5, 1974 like it says on Nico's site.

Here too: S0534 Scarlet - 15,16 October 1974 Wick Studios; Island Studios, London, England - [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix - Session List).

In May 1974 it was: 'Through The Lonely Nights' (S0511, Olympic Studios, London, England).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 23:45 by Irix.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 21, 2020 23:39

thats exactly what it says on the box: 5:10:74...October 5 1974.

Or maybe thats not the point? Sorry if not.

Dont know whats up with that 15 & 16 October

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 23:41 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 22, 2020 01:09

JordyLicks96
exilestones
ironbelly
[www.instagram.com]

jimmypage

Scarlet by @therollingstones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on @bbcradio2 with @zoetheball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd. Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

Thanks!

Notice the date on the box.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!! So it's confirmed now it's not even a GOATS HEAD SOUP track tongue sticking out smiley Looks like it was done during mixing and overdubbing for IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL.

Can anyone make out the two producers names? I see Glimmers but can't really tell about the other one. Also, I'm guessing the only two Stones on "Scarlet" are Mick and Keith? Very much like "IORR" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It says 'Glimmers and Others' !

IORR album came out in mid-October 1974. The date on this reel is 5th October 1974 (not 10th May - its written UK style).

Its way after IORR was finished and just a few weeks before Black and Blue sessions started.

It strikes me as something similar to what happened to the song IORR - ie, one band member working on the song with somebody else to begin with - with the intention of the Stones doing something with it further down the line. (in the end, as we know, Bill and Charlie dont even play on the IORR single)

Interesting that the reel actually lists two tracks 'Stu, Jimmy & Keef' is a working song title and not a credit for 'Scarlet'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 01:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 22, 2020 02:08

jbwelda
"Brickwalled" means that when you examine the digital file comprising the music in a sound file editor, you do not see peaks and valleys you see one big black "wall" of signal. That means the dynamic range of the recording has been compressed, and then the volume (amplitude) of the signal has been raised near to or at the point of clipping. This makes for a very tiring listening experience and the human brain begins making adjustments for the sounds it is processing, literally giving the user a headache.

In contrast, the waveform of a properly mastered sound file will have peaks and valleys, at a certain level of magnification. These peaks and valleys represent the quietest passages versus the loudest passages, and all should be well below peak in the waveform. The peaks and valleys basically represent the dynamic range of the sound file, the difference between the levels of the quietest passages and the loudest.

The "brickwalling" generally takes place at the mastering stage, where the sound source is being finalized for production. These days, the "loudness wars" that began a few decades ago, have made brickwalling the default situation in the CD market. It increases the volume of the product and makes properly mastered CDs sound "weak" or "quiet" particularly by people with tin ears or poor reproduction equipment, and therefore "inferior" to the mass market. Hence. everyone does it, to the detriment of the music but also to protect the true original recordings from being available in pure, clean state.

jb

Gotcha! What about LPs, are they now brickwalled too? And if so, maybe it is best to stick with older or original pressings as opposed to modern "reprints" or "repressings" or "remixes"? And up to what year are you safe, that is "pre-brickwall"?

What about the 2002 Abkco SACD releases, were they brickwalled? What about these new CD "SHN" discs, which are supposed to be so godlike?

plexi

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 03:31 by timbernardis.

Date: July 22, 2020 02:10

I mentioned all three things above...what about "Subject: Cockroaches"? That's pretty interesting, is it a known pseudonym? Weren't they called something like that on a club marquee sometime?

jb

Date: July 22, 2020 03:09

MisterDDDD
Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

Not sure what you're talking about "a huge "mistake" deal". I meant a mistake with the the Amazon.nl listing price of €18,99.that some thought might be a mistake, or the wrong image and description and meant to be for the two cd set, and orders will end up being canceled. Since it's still listed, doesn't seem to be a mistake on their part, and everyone who orders it will get the Super Deluxe as advertised.

As for the Brussels Box, I've since read the price was originally closer to $400 (depending on where purchased) more or less, but it included much more than a watch. Three vinyl records, 2 cd's, a large tabletop leather cover book w/three dimensional tongue design, repro poster, a red silk bag w/Rolling Stones emblazoned in gold all housed in a massive wooden box. While $400+ was a bit pricey, many people bought it at that price. But waiting patiently, some of us paid $150 which was a steal. Same situation here - $110+ seems a bit pricey considering whats included, but am more than willing to be patient and buy it when the price drops. If you're in a hurry to get it and think it's a great deal, more power to you. There were people who bought the Brussles Box immediately upon release at original price, and all were pleased with it. As for me, I'm in no hurry whatsoever, and considering there will be no shortage of this mass produced set (unlike the limited Brussles Box), sales will happen sooner rather than later - or eventually for sure. In fact they already have on Amazon.nl for an amazing low price of €18,99. Something tells me we'll see something similar to the Blue and Lonesome Deluxe set sale when it was marked down to about $10 (which is really all it's worth) from apprx. $45 original outrageous price, and just like that sale I'll probably buy multiple copies to give away as gifts.

Oh, I get the concept, I got in on the B&L sets, gave as gifts etc.
And saw the Brussels box descriptions and misc items, although your descriptions do them more justice,, I was never a buyer at the $400+ range,
but may have been at $150 (what I incorrectly referred to as the "mistake" price) but even then, likely not. I don't usually buy any of the box sets etc at all, unless a deal.

GHS deluxe as a whole has my interest much more than others... loved the album, era, etc. Brings back great memories. That said, I guess what is more important to me, is that along with the new tracks and Blu-ray etc etc., did the Brussels box set have any different tracks or alt versions than what will be included in this set?
Should already know this and am sure the answer is in this thread, but for me, getting the Brussels recording that I've never purchased along with everything else, seems like a much bigger "bargain" (musically) than the Brussels box set even at $150. I'm sure I'm likely missing something though, and if they have a huge discount on GHS deluxe down the road, I will be giving more Stones gifts to friends and family for certain cool smiley

The Brussels Box was officially released way back in 2012 as a limited edition, and it's always sort of been considered a Holy Grail, so it was a big deal for most Stones fans at the time to have it get an official release. Throw in a bunch of snazzy bells and whistles, and it was/is a supreme package. Considering the prices of it now as seen on the secondary markets, it's clear it's a unique release that many would practically kill for. I've had various Brussel Affair bootlegs for decades (cd and vinyl), but to hear it on official vinyl was truly something to behold. But now, eight years later, they finally decide to add it to GHS Deluxe with a few extra "rarities", when really they should have just released it on it's own as a standalone release. But no, they know how to plunder and pillage the fans who now have to splurge on an overpriced (imo) deluxe set that will eventually be found in the clearance bins. For the record, I'm referring to the CD/BluRay Deluxe as being a bit too pricey as the vinyl seems a somewhat more reasonable purchase (and physically much more worthy and attractive) even without the rolled up mini replica posters, but I've always liked vinyl over cd's anyways - the sound is a thousand times better, but to each his own.

Yeah.. I guess I am aware of most of that and can definitely see the appeal of the Brussels Box then and now.
I have GHS original in my sparse vinyl collection which I play only at my beach place and love it, but vinyl
is not something I have re-embraced as many have.

Kinda glad now that I didn't grab one as I can see how this would now not be as appealing to pick up. If deep discounts happen as is likely, I would put snagging the vinyl set high on my list still, the cd/bluray set seemed musically to be a much better value.

Thanks for the additional insights into the Brussels Box.
Look forward at some later date kicking myself for not snagging one while I had the chance cool smiley

Where's your beach place, DDDD? Can I stop by and visit you there sometime?

plexi

Date: July 22, 2020 03:36

Got this email from Amazon NL today, translated by Google Translate:

order-update@amazon.nl
Tue 7/21/2020 3:23 PM
Hello from Amazon.nl,

We would like to let you know that we can ship the item listed below earlier than expected:

Your new expected delivery date:
September 7, 2020 - September 8, 2020

Your old expected delivery date:
January 4, 2021 - January 5, 2021

The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (Ltd. Super Del.Ed.)

For more information, see your Account on our website:

[www.amazon.nl]....

Payment for this item has not yet been debited. We do not debit your payment card until just before your items have been shipped. On the shipping date we will send you a shipping confirmation by email.

Amazon.nl
[www.amazon.nl]

Guess all the fears of cancellation are kaput.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 03:56 by timbernardis.

Date: July 22, 2020 03:37

jbwelda
Subject: Cockroaches (on the tape box) thats kind of odd. And I want to hear that "Stu Jimmy and Keef" cut, probably more than Scarlet itself.

Ironbelly your waveforms are not showing up but I am sure they illustrate what I said. That first one that is showing up is pretty decent dynamic range if you ask me and not clipped. A nice quiet mastering to my eyes.

And the Dutch deal is looking more realistic now, still a very decent price but the date now makes sense. I would go for it if I could.

jb

I can help you if you want to order it. Email me. My address is not hidden.

plexi

Date: July 22, 2020 03:54

Great to know they're going to honour those original €18,99 orders (at least it appears that way)- you deserve it plexi, and as a bonus you'll get it on the official release date.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 03:55 by Hairball.

Date: July 22, 2020 03:57

Hairball
Great to know they're going to honour those original €18,99 orders (at least it appears that way)- you deserve it plexi, and as a bonus you'll get it on the official release date.thumbs up

Thanks Hairball, looks that way now that I got an official email.

plexi

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 22, 2020 04:03

timbernardis
Where's your beach place, DDDD? Can I stop by and visit you there sometime?

plexi

About 15 minutes southwest of the Canadian border..
Forty five minute drive to downtown Vancouver, and if by some remote chance they reschedule the Vancouver show, I will host a barbecue!! GHS will also be served cool smiley

Date: July 22, 2020 04:16

>Gotcha! What about LPs, are they now brickwalled too?

I used to think they just used the cd masters to master vinyl at most major labels but I think I was wrong about that or maybe it depends. These Stones releases have been touting the LPs are mastered from tapes specifically made for the vinyl master, and I have heard other record companies follow this rule at least when they can.

>And if so, maybe it is best to stick with older or original pressings as >opposed to modern "reprints" or "repressings" or "remixes"?

Thats always the best bet but of course now you have to look for clean older pressings. But if you already have them, many will tell you you have the best you can get. I always had problems with commercial pressings back then but at least they are not overdriven like these days (with digital media).

>And up to what year are you safe, that is "pre-brickwall"?

Well that really depends on a lot of things, some companies realized the error of their ways and have started trying to reduce the levels and compression on their releases. Its a case by case basis pretty much; others here can tell you way more about specific stuff than I probably could.

>What about the 2002 Abkco SACD releases, were they brickwalled? What about >these new CD "SHN" discs, which are supposed to be so godlike?

Good questions I will leave to the experts. I always get confused trying to keep that stuff straight.

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 22, 2020 05:13

jbwelda
Subject: Cockroaches (on the tape box) thats kind of odd.

An alias so nobody snatches their tapes!

Date: July 22, 2020 06:21

jbwelda
Subject: Cockroaches (on the tape box) thats kind of odd.
jb

The Stones would use that alias when they didn't want outside people to know their identity!! They used that name when they announced the El Mocambo gigs in '77 and for some theater shows in '78!!

[thumbs.worthpoint.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 22, 2020 11:00

[Music.Apple.com] , [www.Amazon.com] , [www.YouTube.com]

Official announcement: [Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 11:15 by Irix.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: July 22, 2020 11:39

Looks like they are going to sell a 7-inch of Scarlet but only with another version of the LP (alternate cover with black vinyl and 1 LP).

[uk.therollingstonesshop.com]

Crazy.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 22, 2020 13:17

Irix

[Music.Apple.com] , [www.Amazon.com] , [www.YouTube.com]

Official announcement: [Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com] .

Everlasting is my love v.0.9 pre-beta3 winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 22, 2020 14:55

ChrisL
Looks like they are going to sell a 7-inch of Scarlet but only with another version of the LP (alternate cover with black vinyl and 1 LP).

Crazy.

Ordered the deluxe cd box, but definitely will be picking up a vinyl copy at some point when the dust settles.. This one may be it. Like the alternative cover and unless they package the 7" with something else, this would work very nicely.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 22, 2020 15:00

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: July 22, 2020 15:18

MisterDDDD
ChrisL

Crazy.

Ordered the deluxe cd box, but definitely will be picking up a vinyl copy at some point when the dust settles.. This one may be it. Like the alternative cover and unless they package the 7" with something else, this would work very nicely.

I already ordered the CD and vinyl deluxe, plus the 2-LP alternate cover. I would get the 7-inch if it was sold on it's own, but I don't think I'll get it with yet another version of GHS. I already have about 5 GHS on vinyl and 4 on CD (before the above order).

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 22, 2020 15:36

Nice little spot there just now on CBS This Morning in the US...

Anthony Mason is a big music junkie and has interviewed The Glimmer Twins before...

My Sis just sent me a text from her break room at work so I could catch it! It's good to have family that knows about my obsession!

Looking forward to this release.

Stay healthy everyone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 15:36 by TKinOH.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home