Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:46

I have so many pressings of these records from that era that it is ridiculous; I mostly buy this stuff just to have it plus the bonus material. Its the Collector's Disease for sure, and thats what the Stones depend on to move this stuff.

GHS is an exception though; only have the original UK version I bought back then. Never liked the album enough to buy more of the same thing on this one.

jb

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 20, 2020 19:54

Aha, well it's different for me, as it was GHS that really got me into the band, and I still dig it

Yes, the bonus material is what's interesting, not any "new remaster". But I don't feel I need these new "vault releases" on vinyl, as they are not like an ancient part of history like them original LPs. And they sound just like the CD releases. They are also "collectors items" allready when being put to the market and that makes them only "purchaseable items" in my book. So I only care about the music itself when it comes to retrospective releases, not the "item thingy".....meaning that CDs will do the trick for me

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 12:42 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2020 20:55

jbwelda
I don't think the vinyl versions are "brickwalled" as you describe it, at least they do not sound so to me. I believe I read they mastered the vinyl versions from the original tapes, not the CD master. Don't know if thats true or not but the vinyl editions have sounded as good or better than my original UK vinyl versions, but then again those have 30 or 40 years wear on them. I only buy CDs if they are cheap; I prefer to drop money on vinyl. Thats why 20$ sound good for the SD CD set. I really only want them for ease of play and ease of ripping to mp3 for listening in the car.

jb

Ehhhh I shoulda said CD. Of course, there is a way to brickwall vinyl - in most cases vinyl LPs are cut from a digital master. I'm not saying this has happened because if it has I'm not aware of it because I don't buy vinyl LPs, I only buy CD LPs, but there could be a brickwalled master vinyl pressing...

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 20, 2020 21:30

It should be very cool to hear Goats ahead Soup in 5.1. Which song will sound the best in 5.1; 100 Years Ago, Can You Hear the Music? Heartbreaker!

Date: July 20, 2020 21:32

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2020 21:46

Doc
Delivery 4 months post release, seems a fair price for the patient fans.

Indeed, and when one of these sales hits the USA (of at least 50% off or more), I'll think about shelling out the money.
As it is, $110 (or more) seems a bit pricey for three plastic disks and a few mini-posters rolled up and crammed in to a small box set.

For those patient fans who were able to pre-order the special deal via Amazon.nl, hoping it all works out, and seeing that it's still listed at €18,99, seems they would have changed it by now if it was a mistake.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2020 22:11

Hairball
Doc

Indeed, and when one of these sales hits the USA (of at least 50% off or more), I'll think about shelling out the money.
As it is, $110 (or more) seems a bit pricey for three plastic disks and a few mini-posters rolled up and crammed in to a small box set.

For those patient fans who were able to pre-order the special deal via Amazon.nl, hoping it all works out, and seeing that it's still listed at €18,99, seems they would have changed it by now if it was a mistake.

LOL that has been the new way to get people to buy this crap again. I'll admit I'm a sucker for unreleased material - I bought the Zep reissues only for the extra material (and the packaging) and it is indeed the last time I do that (fortunately they didn't have very many LPs), although I can't remember if I got CODA.

Fortunately my days of getting everything possible are long over. The odd hard copy of something, otherwise, downloading is just fine or simply listening on Spotify etc like with ON THE AIR - I'm just not interested enough. I don't need more STUFF to collect dust.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 20, 2020 23:43

Yeah, exactly GLS. I don't care about all these formats, and pressings etc.

Just give me the unreleased tracks, and give me lots of them!

It is a weird mania that grips middle-aged men in wanting to have every varient of the same darn song. I guess it's the boomers' trainspotting.

I'm happy to listen to streaming of a bunch of unreleased/unheard tracks - and can't wait to hear all of Scarlet.

Date: July 21, 2020 00:38

>It is a weird mania that grips middle-aged men

Well thank you for the compliment, young man.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2020 01:47

Hairball
Doc

But.. putting it on vinyl and including a "watch" made the Brussels box a huge "mistake" deal at $150 down from $500?? Not being snarky, but as this includes Brussels, for those of us who've never purchased a physical copy,
I would say this makes either of these vinyl or cd box sets a fantastic deal at just north of $100- particularly with the Blu-ray thrown in.

Date: July 21, 2020 02:25

MisterDDDD
Hairball
Doc

But.. putting it on vinyl and including a "watch" made the Brussels box a huge "mistake" deal at $150 down from $500?? Not being snarky, but as this includes Brussels, for those of us who've never purchased a physical copy,
I would say this makes either of these vinyl or cd box sets a fantastic deal at just north of $100- particularly with the Blu-ray thrown in.

Not sure what you're talking about "a huge "mistake" deal". I meant a mistake with the the Amazon.nl listing price of €18,99.that some thought might be a mistake, or the wrong image and description and meant to be for the two cd set, and orders will end up being canceled. Since it's still listed, doesn't seem to be a mistake on their part, and everyone who orders it will get the Super Deluxe as advertised.

As for the Brussels Box, I've since read the price was originally closer to $400 (depending on where purchased) more or less, but it included much more than a watch. Three vinyl records, 2 cd's, a large tabletop leather cover book w/three dimensional tongue design, repro poster, a red silk bag w/Rolling Stones emblazoned in gold all housed in a massive wooden box. While $400+ was a bit pricey, many people bought it at that price. But waiting patiently, some of us paid $150 which was a steal. Same situation here - $110+ seems a bit pricey considering whats included, but am more than willing to be patient and buy it when the price drops. If you're in a hurry to get it and think it's a great deal, more power to you. There were people who bought the Brussles Box immediately upon release at original price, and all were pleased with it. As for me, I'm in no hurry whatsoever, and considering there will be no shortage of this mass produced set (unlike the limited Brussles Box), sales will happen sooner rather than later - or eventually for sure. In fact they already have on Amazon.nl for an amazing low price of €18,99. Something tells me we'll see something similar to the Blue and Lonesome Deluxe set sale when it was marked down to about $10 (which is really all it's worth) from apprx. $45 original outrageous price, and just like that sale I'll probably buy multiple copies to give away as gifts.

EDIT: In case you missed it, here is Rockman's post with image of box set - clearly you can see it's much more than some vinyl and a watch, and the only thing missing from image is the the red silk bag.

Rockman

..... Da Brussell's box is so good
I grabbed two of 'em for me greedy self .....

You'd love the watch Tim .... can just see
you wearing it ... Hey guys anybody wanna know da time??? ... ...tiktok

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 02:36 by Hairball.

Date: July 21, 2020 03:18

Hairball

Not sure what you're talking about "a huge "mistake" deal". I meant a mistake with the the Amazon.nl listing price of €18,99.that some thought might be a mistake, or the wrong image and description and meant to be for the two cd set, and orders will end up being canceled. Since it's still listed, doesn't seem to be a mistake on their part, and everyone who orders it will get the Super Deluxe as advertised.

As for the Brussels Box, I've since read the price was originally closer to $400 (depending on where purchased) more or less, but it included much more than a watch. Three vinyl records, 2 cd's, a large tabletop leather cover book w/three dimensional tongue design, repro poster, a red silk bag w/Rolling Stones emblazoned in gold all housed in a massive wooden box. While $400+ was a bit pricey, many people bought it at that price. But waiting patiently, some of us paid $150 which was a steal. Same situation here - $110+ seems a bit pricey considering whats included, but am more than willing to be patient and buy it when the price drops. If you're in a hurry to get it and think it's a great deal, more power to you. There were people who bought the Brussles Box immediately upon release at original price, and all were pleased with it. As for me, I'm in no hurry whatsoever, and considering there will be no shortage of this mass produced set (unlike the limited Brussles Box), sales will happen sooner rather than later - or eventually for sure. In fact they already have on Amazon.nl for an amazing low price of €18,99. Something tells me we'll see something similar to the Blue and Lonesome Deluxe set sale when it was marked down to about $10 (which is really all it's worth) from apprx. $45 original outrageous price, and just like that sale I'll probably buy multiple copies to give away as gifts.

Oh, I get the concept, I got in on the B&L sets, gave as gifts etc.
And saw the Brussels box descriptions and misc items, although your descriptions do them more justice,, I was never a buyer at the $400+ range,
but may have been at $150 (what I incorrectly referred to as the "mistake" price) but even then, likely not. I don't usually buy any of the box sets etc at all, unless a deal.

GHS deluxe as a whole has my interest much more than others... loved the album, era, etc. Brings back great memories. That said, I guess what is more important to me, is that along with the new tracks and Blu-ray etc etc., did the Brussels box set have any different tracks or alt versions than what will be included in this set?
Should already know this and am sure the answer is in this thread, but for me, getting the Brussels recording that I've never purchased along with everything else, seems like a much bigger "bargain" (musically) than the Brussels box set even at $150. I'm sure I'm likely missing something though, and if they have a huge discount on GHS deluxe down the road, I will be giving more Stones gifts to friends and family for certain cool smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2020 03:20

As for a 7" single in the Brussels Deluxe Box, according to the Discogs link posted above by Irix:

"In October 2013 a single signed by Mick Taylor was included - Dancing with Mr. D/Heartbreaker. The single was limited to 100 copies".

HELL!!!!! ..... I've never opened me second
Brussels box ....maybe its got the signed single with it ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 21, 2020 04:22

Maybe. I would check it out.

But I have to add something about the original Brussels box (which I really wish I knew was going on at the time), the watch seems like a chintzy little trinket, but note it is a Seiko watch. In my time that was a pretty OK watch, it wasn't a Rolex but was far from a Timex. Used to be the standard dive watch when I was doing that a lot. So, its not just a little POS, its kind of a really cool bonus thing that has nothing I can tell with the actual product except that someone decided it was something to throw in.

Generally speaking, I am in it for the music, but I get tempted with a great package like this (the original Brussels I mean). If I knew about it at the time, and if I felt I had the extra cash, I certainly would have gone for one at full boat. Might have even gone for the autographed version just to fill out my autograph collection (I am not one to ask for autographs in person).

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 04:27 by jbwelda.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 21, 2020 04:48

jbwelda
>I'm fine with it.

I'm fine with it too, just thought I would offer since it appears you were freaking out already about having all of twenty euros wrapped up in something that may not work out for months or ever.

jb

not freaking out. As stated, I'm fine with it.

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 21, 2020 05:08

what the hell does brickwalled mean, anyway?

plexi

Date: July 21, 2020 05:51

MisterDDDD
Hairball

And saw the Brussels box descriptions and misc items, although your descriptions do them more justice,, I was never a buyer at the $400+ range,
but may have been at $150 (what I incorrectly referred to as the "mistake" price) but even then, likely not. I don't usually buy any of the box sets etc at all, unless a deal.

GHS deluxe as a whole has my interest much more than others... loved the album, era, etc. Brings back great memories. That said, I guess what is more important to me, is that along with the new tracks and Blu-ray etc etc., did the Brussels box set have any different tracks or alt versions than what will be included in this set?
Should already know this and am sure the answer is in this thread, but for me, getting the Brussels recording that I've never purchased along with everything else, seems like a much bigger "bargain" (musically) than the Brussels box set even at $150. I'm sure I'm likely missing something though, and if they have a huge discount on GHS deluxe down the road, I will be giving more Stones gifts to friends and family for certain cool smiley

The Brussels Box was officially released way back in 2012 as a limited edition, and it's always sort of been considered a Holy Grail, so it was a big deal for most Stones fans at the time to have it get an official release. Throw in a bunch of snazzy bells and whistles, and it was/is a supreme package. Considering the prices of it now as seen on the secondary markets, it's clear it's a unique release that many would practically kill for. I've had various Brussel Affair bootlegs for decades (cd and vinyl), but to hear it on official vinyl was truly something to behold. But now, eight years later, they finally decide to add it to GHS Deluxe with a few extra "rarities", when really they should have just released it on it's own as a standalone release. But no, they know how to plunder and pillage the fans who now have to splurge on an overpriced (imo) deluxe set that will eventually be found in the clearance bins. For the record, I'm referring to the CD/BluRay Deluxe as being a bit too pricey as the vinyl seems a somewhat more reasonable purchase (and physically much more worthy and attractive) even without the rolled up mini replica posters, but I've always liked vinyl over cd's anyways - the sound is a thousand times better, but to each his own.

Date: July 21, 2020 06:00

"Brickwalled" means that when you examine the digital file comprising the music in a sound file editor, you do not see peaks and valleys you see one big black "wall" of signal. That means the dynamic range of the recording has been compressed, and then the volume (amplitude) of the signal has been raised near to or at the point of clipping. This makes for a very tiring listening experience and the human brain begins making adjustments for the sounds it is processing, literally giving the user a headache.

In contrast, the waveform of a properly mastered sound file will have peaks and valleys, at a certain level of magnification. These peaks and valleys represent the quietest passages versus the loudest passages, and all should be well below peak in the waveform. The peaks and valleys basically represent the dynamic range of the sound file, the difference between the levels of the quietest passages and the loudest.

The "brickwalling" generally takes place at the mastering stage, where the sound source is being finalized for production. These days, the "loudness wars" that began a few decades ago, have made brickwalling the default situation in the CD market. It increases the volume of the product and makes properly mastered CDs sound "weak" or "quiet" particularly by people with tin ears or poor reproduction equipment, and therefore "inferior" to the mass market. Hence. everyone does it, to the detriment of the music but also to protect the true original recordings from being available in pure, clean state.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 06:10 by jbwelda.

Date: July 21, 2020 06:57

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

The Brussels Box was officially released way back in 2012 as a limited edition, and it's always sort of been considered a Holy Grail, so it was a big deal for most Stones fans at the time to have it get an official release. Throw in a bunch of snazzy bells and whistles, and it was/is a supreme package. Considering the prices of it now as seen on the secondary markets, it's clear it's a unique release that many would practically kill for. I've had various Brussel Affair bootlegs for decades (cd and vinyl), but to hear it on official vinyl was truly something to behold. But now, eight years later, they finally decide to add it to GHS Deluxe with a few extra "rarities", when really they should have just released it on it's own as a standalone release. But no, they know how to plunder and pillage the fans who now have to splurge on an overpriced (imo) deluxe set that will eventually be found in the clearance bins. For the record, I'm referring to the CD/BluRay Deluxe as being a bit too pricey as the vinyl seems a somewhat more reasonable purchase (and physically much more worthy and attractive) even without the rolled up mini replica posters, but I've always liked vinyl over cd's anyways - the sound is a thousand times better, but to each his own.

Yeah.. I guess I am aware of most of that and can definitely see the appeal of the Brussels Box then and now.
I have GHS original in my sparse vinyl collection which I play only at my beach place and love it, but vinyl
is not something I have re-embraced as many have.

Kinda glad now that I didn't grab one as I can see how this would now not be as appealing to pick up. If deep discounts happen as is likely, I would put snagging the vinyl set high on my list still, the cd/bluray set seemed musically to be a much better value.

Thanks for the additional insights into the Brussels Box.
Look forward at some later date kicking myself for not snagging one while I had the chance cool smiley

Date: July 21, 2020 07:30

Re-embrace the vinyl?
I've never un-embraced the vinyl. What was I gonna do...get rid of hundreds of precious albums I collected throughout my early years and exchange them all for some rinky dink plastic pieces of shit? lol...
Nope, I continued to enjoy the vinyl through the thick and thin while continuously adding to the collection, but of course I learned to accept and enjoy the "cd revolution" (they are very convenient), though I probably
caught on to it about 10 yrs. after the fact. And I still buy them for the convenience factor (I pre-ordered the 2LP vinyl AND the 2cd version of GHS), but I do have a preference for vinyl and everything about it.
Would love the 4LP Super Deluxe vinyl which I ws referring to above and which has the same tracklist as the cd/blu-ray deluxe, but maybe when the true sales kick in.

On another note, thought I read (maybe this thread?) that Blu-Ray have been sort of falling out of favor around the world...I wouldn't know as I don't own an actual player, though I do have a few that were included in various box sets such as this. Anybody have any insight about that? Are they going the way of VHS? lol

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 21, 2020 12:04

[www.instagram.com]

jimmypage

Scarlet by @therollingstones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on @bbcradio2 with @zoetheball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd. Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

Date: July 21, 2020 12:57

ironbelly
[www.instagram.com]

jimmypage

Scarlet by @therollingstones and featuring JP, is out tomorrow.

Listen to the exclusive first play plus a chat with Mick Jagger and Jimmy tomorrow on @bbcradio2 with @zoetheball – tune in from 08:30 BST Wednesday July 22nd. Out everywhere 09:00 BST.

Thanks!

Notice the date on the box.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 21, 2020 14:21

timbernardis
what the hell does brickwalled mean, anyway?

plexi
Here is visualization. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) is used.
From old-good CBS CD [CDCBS 450207 2] in Europe, [CK 40492] in the USA or [32DP602] in Japan. Mastered in 1986 by Vlado Meller.

Dynamic range 11.
The softest one from my point of view.

From 1994 Virgin remaster by Bob Ludwig

Dynamic range 11.

From Japanese only SHM-CD form 2013 [UICY-40021] This is so called flat transfer that is considered the best sounding one.

Dynamic range 11.
This one is between old CBS and Virgin.

Marcussen 2009 UM remaster (brickwall)

Dynamic range 6.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 15:57 by ironbelly.

Date: July 21, 2020 14:49

Looks like it'll be a "late" night winking smiley here on the West Coast.. 12:30 AM my time to listen to this.
Excited to hear it and the Mick and JP chat (too late for Keith??.. 3:30 AM his time)

"The Rolling Stones:
SCARLET FEATURING JIMMY PAGE COMING TOMORROW

Exclusive first play plus chat with Mick Jagger & Jimmy Page on BBCRadio2
with ZoeTheBall
, tune in from 8:30am BST July 22nd. Out everywhere 9am BST. experiencegoatsheadsoup

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 21, 2020 16:06

Would expect the interview(s) to be pre-recorded.

Date: July 21, 2020 16:12

Topi
Would expect the interview(s) to be pre-recorded.

I'm betting live.. "first play chat"... but pre-recorded would also make sense.
Keith would likely be in on it if it were, but we'll see cool smiley

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 21, 2020 18:32

Update on the Dutch Amazon Super Deluxe CD Box deal:

Price and release date changed to September 4th, €30,22
[www.amazon.nl]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 21, 2020 18:48

Erik_Snow
Aha, well it's different for me, as it was GHS that really got me into the band, and I still dig it

Yes, the bonus material is what's interesting, not any "new remaster". But I don't feel I need these new "vault releases" on vinyl, as they are not like an ancient part of history like them original LPs. And they sound just like the CD releases. They are also "collectors items" allready when being put to the market and that doesn't make them only "purchaseable items" in my book. So I only care about the music itself when it comes to retrospective releases, not the "item thingy".....meaning that CDs will do the trick for me

Erik, true to form. If I remember correctly, years ago you would say in conversations that you're not a completest. You do not have an insatiable need to have every release ever made. Just the high quality ones.

Date: July 21, 2020 19:30

Subject: Cockroaches (on the tape box) thats kind of odd. And I want to hear that "Stu Jimmy and Keef" cut, probably more than Scarlet itself.

Ironbelly your waveforms are not showing up but I am sure they illustrate what I said. That first one that is showing up is pretty decent dynamic range if you ask me and not clipped. A nice quiet mastering to my eyes.

And the Dutch deal is looking more realistic now, still a very decent price but the date now makes sense. I would go for it if I could.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-21 19:32 by jbwelda.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 21, 2020 19:52

I ordered the deluxe cd version. got my old revered vinyl copy of ghs from the eighties and if I have and will spend money on this I am.more interestes in a coffee table book than in a vinyl replica.
looking forward scarlet
love the band

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home