Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 15, 2020 03:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 04:51 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 15, 2020 03:54

Ummm, no. FFS.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 15, 2020 04:47

sdstonesguy
[www.youtube.com]

Scarlet - Full Song

Totally fake...

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 15, 2020 04:49

well that's good, it sounds terrible

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2020 05:13

Rokyfan
jbwelda
I have read Sanchez's scandal bag of a book but I must have missed this: Keith is a cyclist? As in rides a bicycle? Do tell...more info please and whats that got to do with a blood transfusion (that I doubt really happened at least not for the implied reason).

I have a hard time believing anything out of that guy's mouth, honestly.

jb
keith has said that a lot of what Sanchez wrote was true but the blood transfusion story is a myth

Someone asked me how I cleaned up, so I told them I went to Switzerland and had my blood completely changed. I was just fooling around. I opened my jacket and said, How do you like my blood change? That's all it was, a joke. I was @#$%& sick of answering that question. So I gave them a story...

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 15, 2020 06:37

That sounds like crap, that cannot be what is being released (the youtube link above, i mean). The guitars are clashing something terrible and that vocal...obvious why this has languished and again, if this is the best they can do...

Maybe its all a nightmare.

Naw, that can't be right.

How is that clip "fake"? You mean some third party just patched it together from the small clip that I understand is circulating?

jb

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 15, 2020 06:39

georgie48
Hairball
Rolling Stone cites a press release which I assume is from the Stones and/or Universal...

“The layered guitar textures of ‘Scarlet’ make for a track that’s as infectious and raunchy as anything the band cut in this hallowed era,” reads a press release.
“As well as Jimmy Page guesting alongside Mick and Keith on the track it also features on bass Rick Grech of Blind Faith fame…"

GHS - Scarlet

I never expected, after almost 57 years, to use that word ever in relation to a Rolling Stones related song, but if the version of Scarlet that I know will be on a bonus CD coming with GHS, I think it is total crap.
This to me is not Rolling Stones worthy.angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 09:42 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 15, 2020 07:24

Good old georgie must have heard the fake one posted by sdstonesguy which is clearly phony in every possible way.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 15, 2020 08:21

Hairball
Good old georgie must have heard the fake one posted by sdstonesguy which is clearly phony in every possible way.

Is that the one named "mark s" on YouTube?
I truly hope and believe you that I was mislead by a fake version, with a sneaky Mick like voice shouting "oh yeah" all the time, because , after all those years, it really hurt to use the word crap in connection with my all time favorite band.
Anyway, thanks Hairball, you have given me back the excitement to look forward to September 4 thumbs up
By the way, young JordyLicks96, after almost 6 decades, we, very oldies, can say whatever we feel about our band even (in)directly to Mick or Keith for that matter. Just ask yourself why suddenly "Parachute Woman" was added to the 2002 Orpheum Theatre set list, never played live before and after (not counting RnR Circus off course) cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 15, 2020 09:16

georgie48
Hairball

I truly hope and believe you that I was mislead by a fake version, with a sneaky Mick like voice shouting "oh yeah" all the time, because , after all those years, it really hurt to use the word crap in connection with my all time favorite band.
Anyway, thanks Hairball, you have given me back the excitement to look forward to September 4 thumbs up
By the way, young JordyLicks96, after almost 6 decades, we, very oldies, can say whatever we feel about our band even (in)directly to Mick or Keith for that matter. Just ask yourself why suddenly "Parachute Woman" was added to the 2002 Orpheum Theatre set list, never played live before and after (not counting RnR Circus off course) cool smiley

Yes georgie, that's the one
Ignore it as it's a nonsensical collage of clashing elements that really makes no sense whatsoever.
In other words, yes it's crap as you say, but definitely not the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 09:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 15, 2020 09:42

georgie48
Hairball

My apologies Georgie! I didn't know you were speaking of that fake version on YouTube!! smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 15, 2020 09:48

georgie48
Hairball

"Ah yeah" is a rather apparent sample from Sympathy For The Devil.

That aside, it sounds nothing like anything to do with the Stones.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 15, 2020 09:53

jbwelda
That sounds like crap, that cannot be what is being released (the youtube link above, i mean). The guitars are clashing something terrible and that vocal...obvious why this has languished and again, if this is the best they can do...

Maybe its all a nightmare.

Naw, that can't be right.

How is that clip "fake"? You mean some third party just patched it together from the small clip that I understand is circulating?

jb

No, they didn't even patch it together from the small clip that the Stones already released in the "unboxing" video. They patched it together from something else entirely. Even the "aww yeah" vocal sounds like it is taken from "Sympathy" (as GasLightStreet just posted above)

A 5-second snippet of the actual "Scarlet" can be heard here, from 0:31 onwards: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 09:56 by Topi.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 15, 2020 09:59

i am simply amazed when things like this pops up on youtube, and somebody here believes it or says with reservation "this doesn't sound like Stones to me"
I could understand it if somebody who hadn't heard anything of Rolling Stones before believed it, but *here* ?
Just like in that Beatles/Stones 1980 thread or that "Angel" song a year ago
If somebody shows you a photo of a flower and says; "that's a hoarse".... it really doesn't deserve any consideration or reply

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 10:36 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2020 10:07

ROCKMAN

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2020 10:07

Ok, question:

All I really want is the official Brussels on SHM as I've been told that on a decent system, the sound is superior to that of a regular CD. Plus, I've never owned the officially released Brussels. All I have is the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast which is the same as Bedspring Symphony which I also have on vinyl, but I understand that the official release is a different show. (side question -- has the King Biscuit/Bedspring show ever had an official release?)

It wouldn't mind having disc 2 with Criss Cross and the others. Don't care about the video nor the two bonus tracks on the Japanese Super Deluxe set.

So,

1) what are my options?

2) if I end up having to order from Japan, what is the cheapest edition for the set itself and shipping to the states, including all taxes and fees, paying a Japanese shipping company if necessary, and anything else?

plexi

Date: July 15, 2020 10:13

Go to CDJapan Tim ....
You'll have to go for 3CD Deluxe to get SHM & Brussels ...

You can go thru the ordering step by step and
calculate shipping before you purchase .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 15, 2020 10:15

Swayed1967
24FPS
Listened to Criss Cross the other night. It definitely sounds like it's from the time, but doesn't go anywhere. I get the feeling this isn't going to be on the same level as the Exile and Some Girls reissues.

It baffles the hell out of me that someone can be a member of this forum for over ten years, contribute several thousand posts, and only now be listening to Criss Cross for the first time…Anyways, I agree with you that the song becomes repetitive, not unpleasantly though and there was an easy remedy - get Keith to sing the ‘I think I need a blood transfusion’ line and then add a ‘yeah yeah woo woo’ outro a la Brown Sugar. And voila – it becomes a classic album opener (Mr. D could’ve been dumped in the bog where he belonged).

First off you have to have access to bootlegs to have heard a lot of the unreleased, alternative track Stones cuts. I have the Black Box. Criss Cross Man isn't on there. There simply isn't a way to hear every unreleased song, unless I want to pour over YouTube all day. Ever since it came out I've had mixed feelings about GHS. I remember a the time thinking Dancing With Mr. D was a bit of a joke, in a bad way. It's like they had ran out of ideas and thought they'd try the satanic thing again. (Which was well played out by then). It wasn't until I heard the live version from bootleg that I really got into it.

The rest just seemed like the big crash after all the excess from Satanic through Exile. And it sounded dangerously close to the band breaking up. Of course there was greatness in Angie. It got tremendous airplay in the States. Probably their last monster hit. Even bigger than Start Me Up and Miss You. Angie seemed to overshadow the whole album. Star Star (I know) sounded thin. With the benefit of hindsight I see it reflects its time. A little funkier, a little closer to glam rock and disco on the horizon. Silver Train just sort of meanders.

I think there was just too much going on. Too much overload to make a good, disciplined album. I'd like to see if a new remaster could give it a better feeling.

Date: July 15, 2020 10:23

Rockman
Go to CDJapan Tim ....
You'll have to go for 3CD Deluxe to get SHM & Brussels ...

You can go thru the ordering step by step and
calculate shipping before you purchase .....

Is that what you ordered from them Rockee? What did you end up paying for all including shipping? Oh, guess I remember you saying you bought the Japanese Super Deluxe edition. A friend told me that if I bought that with all costs just discussed, it would run around $250 USD with delivery to the US.

plexi

Date: July 15, 2020 10:47

Yep Yep yep .... Japanese DeeeeeeLuxe ......
At a rough guess I'd say for you $250 US would be about right ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 15, 2020 11:45

timbernardis

1) what are my options?

Wait until 4-Sep-2020 and look if the Deluxe-Edition for Download - [iorr.org] - is also available as lossless Flac on Qobuz ....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:15

Erik_Snow
i am simply amazed when things like this pops up on youtube, and somebody here believes it or says with reservation "this doesn't sound like Stones to me"

Erik were you around when high-level fans would brandish a 1986 (or so) single from an unknown UK band and claim with a conspirational tone "you know... this single was recorded by the band under a false name!".
That piece of black vinyl really separated the tourists (who didn't own this 45T) from the real fans (who knew it was on the Stones).

Of course that claim was bogus... it was just two songs by nobodies emulating the Stones... grinning smiley (I still wonder if these lads were trying to imitate the DW era of the Stones!)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:27

dcba
Erik_Snow

Erik were you around when high-level fans would brandish a 1986 (or so) single from an unknown UK band and claim with a conspirational tone "you know... this single was recorded by the band under a false name!".
That piece of black vinyl really separated the tourists (who didn't own this 45T) from the real fans (who knew it was on the Stones).

Of course that claim was bogus... it was just two songs by nobodies emulating the Stones... grinning smiley (I still wonder if these lads were trying to imitate the DW era of the Stones!)

Ha! I was around, but not listening to Rolling Stones though, so I missed that. So it was the complete opposite scenario of Derek & The Dominos in 1970 one could say....funny

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:46

Rockman
Yep Yep yep .... Japanese DeeeeeeLuxe ......
At a rough guess I'd say for you $250 US would be about right ...

$200 with shipping.

JCJapan finally works.

____________________)_

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:50

Can the Blu-ray audio be played on a Blu-ray video player or is there a machine needed that plays Blu-ray audio?

If I read everything correctly, the Blu-ray Goats Heads Soup Blu-ray is in 5.1 surround sound?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 15, 2020 13:15

timbernardis
Ok, question:

All I really want is the official Brussels on SHM as I've been told that on a decent system, the sound is superior to that of a regular CD. Plus, I've never owned the officially released Brussels. All I have is the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast which is the same as Bedspring Symphony which I also have on vinyl, but I understand that the official release is a different show. (side question -- has the King Biscuit/Bedspring show ever had an official release?)

It wouldn't mind having disc 2 with Criss Cross and the others. Don't care about the video nor the two bonus tracks on the Japanese Super Deluxe set.

So,

1) what are my options?

2) if I end up having to order from Japan, what is the cheapest edition for the set itself and shipping to the states, including all taxes and fees, paying a Japanese shipping company if necessary, and anything else?

plexi
I would say - go for the cheapest option and forget about SHM.
If they will use the same mastering as on 2015 WARD Records Marquee 1971 / Brussels 1973 combo SHM will play marginal role (if any). That edition was compressed to DR5-DR7.

Lets put is strait - one should separate material used for the disc production and mastering. If mastering is bad, nothing will help. 37 y.o. 'black triangle' Japanese CD Tattoo You [CP35-3032] still sounds better than its recent Japanese SHM-CD counterpart with Marcussen mastering from 2009. Period.

If you need Brussels as official release on physical media really badly - go for 3CD/Bluray deluxe with the cheapest price available. Use coupons, promotions etc. Otherwise - try to locate on the secondary market Japanese WADR Records combo GQBS-90009~12. Guess, the prices will drop for that one with new version of Brussels hits the market. Initially that one was of about $100. Or head for download services and get digital files only.

Date: July 15, 2020 13:24

exilestones
Can the Blu-ray audio be played on a Blu-ray video player or is there a machine needed that plays Blu-ray audio?

If I read everything correctly, the Blu-ray Goats Heads Soup Blu-ray is in 5.1 surround sound?
Not only audio but also 3 videos.

But this is not that important.

The question is if blueray is region free or region 2.
Usually Eagle Rock editions were region free. But Japanese 'Totally Stripped' was region 2.

This is the main problem. You will not be able to play Region 2 disc in the USA unless you have region free player.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 13:47 by ironbelly.

Date: July 15, 2020 13:57

ironbelly
timbernardis
Ok, question:

So,

1) what are my options?

plexi
I would say - go for the cheapest option and forget about SHM.
If they will use the same mastering as on 2015 WARD Records Marquee 1971 / Brussels 1973 combo SHM will play marginal role (if any). That edition was compressed to DR5-DR7.

Lets put is strait - one should separate material used for the disc production and mastering. If mastering is bad, nothing will help. 37 y.o. 'black triangle' Japanese CD Tattoo You [CP35-3032] still sounds better than its recent Japanese SHM-CD counterpart with Marcussen mastering from 2009. Period.

If you need Brussels as official release on physical media really badly - go for 3CD/Bluray deluxe with the cheapest price available. Use coupons, promotions etc. Otherwise - try to locate on the secondary market Japanese WADR Records combo GQBS-90009~12. Guess, the prices will drop for that one with new version of Brussels hits the market. Initially that one was of about $100. Or head for download services and get digital files only.

Thanks for the information and insight mr.belly. Couple of questions... the 3 CD/Bluray Deluxe I could get here in the US and i wouldn't have to buy from Japan?

Is it wise to preorder it in case it might sell out?

Is it correct that the Brussels that was broadcast in '75 and later bootlegged ad nauseam is a different show (god knows how u could ever beat YCAGWYW and Rambler from that show) than the official Brussels release and has it ever had an official release?

plexi

Update-- maybe I should wait to buy anything until September 4th or later to see if all of the 3 discs are region free or not. My Blu ray player is not region free and in the car, I only have a regular CD player, not an audio blu ray player. Didn't know that BluRay audio also has regions like BluRay video, or am I understanding this correctly?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 14:10 by timbernardis.

Date: July 15, 2020 14:02

GasLightStreet

Someone asked me how I cleaned up, so I told them I went to Switzerland and had my blood completely changed. I was just fooling around. I opened my jacket and said, How do you like my blood change? That's all it was, a joke. I was @#$%& sick of answering that question. So I gave them a story...

[timeisonourside.com]

I told you 3 pages ago the Tony Sanchez's story is true. Keith was on EPO i.e. blood doping. He showed Lance the wheel, not the blade.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-15 14:13 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 15, 2020 14:46

timbernardis
Thanks for the information and insight mr.belly. Couple of questions... the 3 CD/Bluray Deluxe I could get here in the US and i wouldn't have to buy from Japan?
If you want Japanese 3SHM-CD + Blu-ray / Japan Bonus Track (Catalog No. UICY-79170, JAN/ISBN 4988031386644) you need to order from Japan. Otherwise, search some sites like importcd. Those can offer you from USA, probably, at higher price.

Another option is from Germany jpc.de - they have it and will ship worldwide.
[www.jpc.de]
However, their offer is with German VAT and import taxes. It is already some $40 higher, than in Japan.

Regular 3CD/Bluray without bonus tracks is everywhere. Chose your options: from amazon and bull moose to local brickwall record store around the corner. Or udiscovermusic.com store and apply ud20off coupon.

timbernardis
Is it wise to preorder it in case it might sell out?
Hardly believe it will be sell out. Price drop around X-mas - possible

timbernardis
Is it correct that the Brussels that was broadcast in '75 and later bootlegged ad nauseam is a different show (god knows how u could ever beat YCAGWYW and Rambler from that show) than the official Brussels release and has it ever had an official release?
Official release contains 3 songs from the afternoon show (same as on well known bootlegs and broadcasts) - Brown Sugar, Midnight Rambler, Jumpin' Jack Flash. The rest are from the evening show. Also M. Taylor solo in All Down The Line from the afternoon show was pasted into the track from evening show. There were some issues with MT's equipment (they are heard on audience recording).

timbernardis
Didn't know that BluRay audio also has regions like BluRay video, or am I understanding this correctly?
Have no idea. But that disc is a combo audio/video. So you know, everything can happened. It is possible to suggest it would be region free. But God knows.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home