Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 100 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 23, 2021 19:49

Captain, you're not alone. To be honest I don't notice any differences. Even if it's there I guess I'm not caring much.confused smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2021 20:37

Captain Teague
Am I the only one on this board who thinks that the three Glyn Johns remixes are a waste of disc space? Given the recent FFSO leak, there were more interesting recordings available for real fans which the expanded release was aimed at.

Maybe. The Glyn Johns mixes (they're not remixes) are within the context of the album and what they were going through at the time. It's not superfluous. One of them is even edited oddly. And there's still plenty of room on disc 2 for other tracks, almost 40 minutes of room.

Date: March 24, 2021 01:33

It's interesting to me that GOATS HEAD SOUP got a second life because of Giles Martin remixing it plus the extra material. What might be more interesting is that nothing else got that treatment. Sure, EXILE has the crumbs of extras and SOME GIRLS a little more and the same with STICKY FINGERS. But new life into an album?

Four Beatles albums have had that (the last four important ones). It's fascinating. Lost opportunity? I suppose no one will ever know why BEGGARS, BLEED, FINGERS, EXILE or SOME GIRLS didn't get new mixes (remixed). Didn't Mick say he didn't like the mix of EXILE? Maybe he actually doesn't mind it. Of course, it's really a matter of if he could be bothered.

Time is going by faster and faster for anything else to happen. Hopefully they do it sooner rather than never.

Date: March 24, 2021 10:15

Remixing Exile must be a pain in the butt for an engineer.

It's too big a task, I guess. Even though it's a bit "muddy", it's a fine-tuned machinery and a puzzle you don't wanna do again.

GHS was more up for grabs, with its "lifeless" sound (there are individual exceptions, though).

Perhaps the music on Exile "needs" that "muddy" quality to it, to be what it is?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 24, 2021 15:40

DandelionPowderman
Remixing Exile must be a pain in the butt for an engineer.

It's too big a task, I guess. Even though it's a bit "muddy", it's a fine-tuned machinery and a puzzle you don't wanna do again.

GHS was more up for grabs, with its "lifeless" sound (there are individual exceptions, though).

Perhaps the music on Exile "needs" that "muddy" quality to it, to be what it is?

Exactly so Dandy !.

I must have about ten different vinyl pressings and/or masterings of Exile and I can't honestly say which is the best overall.
With a good turntable you can really hear into the mix with some versions [a late 70s Electrola pressing being a good example] ...but the clean and clear ones don't tend to kick quite enough ass when in the mood for dancin'winking smiley
Little comes close the original Artisan pressing in that respect.
Of the recent releases, the Miles Showell master from flat digital files for the boxed set is pretty good ...with bass lines being more clearly resolved than with most versions.

GHS on the other hand has always sounded like bit you're listening through about ten of those shrouds the band are hiding behind on the cover !

The new remaster isn't faultless ...but it does provide a refreshing new angle

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: March 25, 2021 11:13

GasLightStreet
It's interesting to me that GOATS HEAD SOUP got a second life because of Giles Martin remixing it plus the extra material. What might be more interesting is that nothing else got that treatment. Sure, EXILE has the crumbs of extras and SOME GIRLS a little more and the same with STICKY FINGERS. But new life into an album?

Four Beatles albums have had that (the last four important ones). It's fascinating. Lost opportunity? I suppose no one will ever know why BEGGARS, BLEED, FINGERS, EXILE or SOME GIRLS didn't get new mixes (remixed). Didn't Mick say he didn't like the mix of EXILE? Maybe he actually doesn't mind it. Of course, it's really a matter of if he could be bothered.

Time is going by faster and faster for anything else to happen. Hopefully they do it sooner rather than never.

EVERY 'special reissue' of a Rolling Stones record is a lost oppurtunity!!! ;-)

The only good one IMO was Exile on Main Street! With exception of some tracks (new vocals by Jagger).
There are so many unreleased tracks/demos that haven't been used or mastered for these boxsets. Some of them are being destroyed by new vocals and lyrics by Jagger, like All That Rage, So Divine! Awful. Just awful!

And how about the Half Speed masters? Here's a critic who shares his thoughts about these releases. He has some good points:

video: [www.youtube.com]

And he summerize it good; "There is no love for these (vinyl) releases!" The same goes for all those boxsets unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 11:48 by DiamondDog7.

Date: March 25, 2021 11:50

DiamondDog7
GasLightStreet

The only good one IMO was Exile on Main Street! With exception of some tracks (new vocals by Jagger).
There are so many unreleased tracks/demos that haven't been used or mastered for these boxsets. Some of them are being destroyed by new vocals and lyrics by Jagger, like All That Rage, So Divine! Awful. Just awful!

And how about the Half Speed masters? Here's a critic who shares his thoughts about these releases. He has some good points:

And he summerize it good; "There is no love for these (vinyl) releases!" The same goes for all those boxsets unfortunately.

I strongly disagree. And I wouldn't call the Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe-set a "lost opportunity". It was fantastic!

Date: March 25, 2021 11:53

DandelionPowderman
DiamondDog7
GasLightStreet

I strongly disagree. And I wouldn't call the Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe-set a "lost opportunity". It was fantastic!

I agree. Sorry, I forgot that one. Sticky Fingers box was enjoyable.

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4, 2020
Date: March 25, 2021 11:55

Another video about the Half Speed remasters:

video: [youtu.be]

Very interesting. I believe this guy. Please give it a chance to hear his opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 11:56 by DiamondDog7.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: June 16, 2021 20:47

Hello everyone. Just noticed that this is available on uk Amazon for £63.94. I think when it came out it was about £120.00…. This is the cd version with all the books. I am very interested because I do not have a physical copy of Brussels affair… although I know lots on here do! Anyway I hope it is of interest to some

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2021 21:05

My local library called to tell me they have the Goats Head Soup deluxe set for me to borrow. I very much want to hear the Blu Ray CD version of GHS. I want to see if it's even better than the SHM CD of the new remix.

Plus I'd like to hear the Brussels CD and see if it sounds better than the streaming download I have.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 17, 2021 02:16

24FPS
My local library called to tell me they have the Goats Head Soup deluxe set for me to borrow. I very much want to hear the Blu Ray CD version of GHS. I want to see if it's even better than the SHM CD of the new remix.

Plus I'd like to hear the Brussels CD and see if it sounds better than the streaming download I have.

BluRay Dolby 7.1 is exceptional , BluRay LPCM Stereo 24bit 96k is pitiful.

Peace

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 17, 2021 02:23

A new record is preferred.

Date: June 17, 2021 05:42

Naturalust
24FPS

BluRay Dolby 7.1 is exceptional , BluRay LPCM Stereo 24bit 96k is pitiful.

Peace

(Now there's a delay at the library.) Do you know which one the Blu Ray from the GHS Boxset is? 7.1? Whatever it is for the Blu Ray 'Exile On Main Street', it's excellent.

Date: June 17, 2021 06:50

DiamondDog7
GasLightStreet

It's no secret why he didn't like them: the dude is barely awake anyway. What a joke. You call him a "critic"? He's just asleep. The half-speed remasters have had great reviews.

Date: June 17, 2021 10:09

<The only good one IMO was Exile on Main Street!>

Really? I was disappointed with that one. Sticky Fingers and Some Girls were terrific. GHS was also way better.

Not to mention Ya-Yas Deluxe, with the bonus tracks, BB King and Ike and Tina + the concert DVD.

Plundered My Soul and Following The River? Nah, give me the Roundhouse and Leeds-shows any day + outtakes smiling smiley

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 17, 2021 11:50

24FPS

To my ears the Brussel live tracks sound identical to the download versions.

Date: June 17, 2021 13:08

RockingLonestar
24FPS

On Spotify, perhaps, but on vinyl, CD or digitally on high resolution files they don't sound the same to me.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 17, 2021 13:40

RockingLonestar
24FPS

What streaming download are you talking about?

If it is from 2020 it is identical to CD. No surprise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / Goats Head Soup (2020 Deluxe)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.21 dB 3:56 01-Brown Sugar (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.76 dB 5:33 02-Gimme Shelter (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -7.98 dB 3:14 03-Happy (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.51 dB 5:04 04-Tumbling Dice (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -7.62 dB 4:16 05-Star Star (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.14 dB 4:38 06-Dancing With Mr D (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.10 dB 5:03 07-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR8 -0.20 dB -10.23 dB 5:15 08-Angie (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR7 -0.20 dB -8.21 dB 11:01 09-You Can't Always Get What You Want (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.80 dB 12:53 10-Midnight Rambler (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.27 dB 3:12 11-Honky Tonk Women (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.12 dB 4:21 12-All Down The Line (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.39 dB 2:25 13-Rip This Joint (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR5 -0.20 dB -6.29 dB 3:27 14-Jumpin' Jack Flash (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)
DR5 -0.20 dB -6.13 dB 5:15 15-Street Fighting Man (Live - Forest National Arena, Brussels - 17-10-73)

Number of tracks: 15
Official DR value: DR6

On the other hand old (2011) download from Stones Achieve is different. It is less loud and less compressed.

Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / The Brussels Affair

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR10 -0.17 dB -11.70 dB 3:56 01-Brown Sugar
DR10 0.00 dB -11.76 dB 5:33 02-Gimme Shelter
DR10 0.00 dB -11.12 dB 3:14 03-Happy
DR10 0.00 dB -11.45 dB 5:04 04-Tumbling Dice
DR10 0.00 dB -10.34 dB 4:16 05-Star Star
DR10 0.00 dB -11.20 dB 4:38 06-Dancing With Mr. D
DR9 0.00 dB -10.42 dB 5:03 07-Doo Doo Doo Doo Dooo (Heartbreaker)
DR11 0.00 dB -13.17 dB 5:15 08-Angie
DR10 0.00 dB -11.19 dB 11:00 09-You Can't Always Get What You Want
DR10 0.00 dB -11.12 dB 12:53 10-Midnight Rambler
DR9 0.00 dB -10.18 dB 3:12 11-Honky Tonk Women
DR9 0.00 dB -10.22 dB 4:21 12-All Down The Line
DR9 0.00 dB -10.24 dB 2:25 13-Rip This Joint
DR9 0.00 dB -9.69 dB 3:27 14-Jumping Jack Flash
DR9 0.00 dB -9.64 dB 5:15 15-Street Fighting Man

Number of tracks: 15
Official DR value: DR10

Date: June 17, 2021 14:12

<What streaming download are you talking about?>

I'm pretty sure 24 FPS was talking about the US Google Music-download (not streaming) that came out years ago (MP3).

The US didn't (for some reason) get access to the Stones Archive, where the files were WAV (or where they FLAC, can't recall).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-17 14:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 17, 2021 14:42

DandelionPowderman

I'm pretty sure 24 FPS was talking about the US Google Music-download (not streaming) that came out years ago (MP3).

The US didn't (for some reason) get access to the Stones Archive, where the files were WAV (or where they FLAC, can't recall).
2011 mp3 files have the same mastering as 2011 flac. And the mastering 2011 (DR10) is different from Japanese CD 2015/GHS Deluxe CD 2020/streaming 2020 (DR6).

BTW, there were digital clicks (or some said vinyl pops) in Angie 2011. On marks 0.35, 0.36, 0.43, 0.45, 1.23, 1.26, 1.32, 1.38.

For CD (and later editions/streaming) most of those were removed. Only at 0.43 and 1.23 were left behind. So it is pretty easy to distinguish the editions/downloads basing on these defects.

Date: June 17, 2021 14:48

<2011 mp3 files have the same mastering as 2011 flac. And the mastering 2011 (DR10) is different from Japanese CD 2015/GHS Deluxe CD 2020/streaming 2020 (DR6).>

Indeed. However, to answer the question here: Would GHS's high resolution files, CD or vinyl sound different to the Google Music download? Yes.

And the 2011 FLAC files/CD/vinyl-versions also sound considerably better than the Google Music download. I have them all smiling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 21, 2021 22:38

Goats Head Soup is available to listen to in a whole new way, with the sound all around you.
Introducing #SpatialAudio ft. #DolbyAtmos. Only on @AppleMusic:apple.co/GoatsHeadSoup

[twitter.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 21, 2021 22:45

bye bye johnny

Goats Head Soup is available to listen to in a whole new way, with the sound all around you.
Introducing #SpatialAudio ft. #DolbyAtmos. Only on @AppleMusic:apple.co/GoatsHeadSoup

[twitter.com]

Too bad it's one of their worst-sounding albums.

Date: June 22, 2021 00:07

TornAndFried
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

It's a brand new mix.

Date: June 22, 2021 01:00

DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

It's a brand new mix.

GHS sounds great to my ears, either mix. Although it has a hazy sound to it overall, it's quite clear. Even EOMS has a clear sound, as "muddy" as it is.

Date: June 22, 2021 02:18

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
TornAndFried
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

It's a brand new mix.

GHS sounds great to my ears, either mix. Although it has a hazy sound to it overall, it's quite clear. Even EOMS has a clear sound, as "muddy" as it is.

I would like to hear this new mix of GHS but don't have a Dolby Atmos 7:1 system. I will need to invest in some new audio equipment. I only have a tube-based stereo system at present.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: June 22, 2021 02:45

>I only have a tube-based stereo system at present.

You would be wise to hang onto that. Gimmicky "new" audio experiences may seem tempting but good old good old is never really bested. Give yourself extra points if you managed to hang onto your vintage McIntosh tube amplifiers. I should have.

jb

Date: June 22, 2021 04:22

TornAndFried
bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

The original vinyl mix, yes. But I've heard the new mix on SHM CD and it sounds much better. I can't wait for the opportunity to hear the Atmos CD that came with the boxset. I heard the Abbey Road Atmos CD and it was breathtaking.

Date: June 22, 2021 05:02

jbwelda
>I only have a tube-based stereo system at present.

You would be wise to hang onto that. Gimmicky "new" audio experiences may seem tempting but good old good old is never really bested. Give yourself extra points if you managed to hang onto your vintage McIntosh tube amplifiers. I should have.

jb

I will always keep my stereo tube gear. It sounds great with analogue recordings...especially vinyl. But I would like to get a multi-channel system to experience these new 5:1 and 7:1 mixes and for DVD/Blu-Ray movies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 100 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home