Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 99 of 101
Re: “Dancing With Mr. D” different from original on Expanded ‘Goats Head Soup’
Posted by: plusplusjames ()
Date: December 26, 2020 22:06

Ha ha! Mick is the Goat!

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2020 23:07

.....well not really ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: December 27, 2020 00:07

I wish they would bring out a high quality picture disk of the goat in the pot!

Or even a slip mat.

jb

Date: December 27, 2020 00:22

The deluxe set should come with a can of goat soup ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 27, 2020 22:52

I wrote my review of GHS this past summer, well before the rerelease came out => [iorr.org].

After listening to the rerelease, I am persuaded more than ever that Mick deepsixed the more rocking numbers from the Kingston sessions to produce his own softer, lighter rock sound to emulate the music scene going on in 1973. How else to explain the omission of Criss Cross and All the Rage from the record. (Forget Scarlett, that was recorded well afterwards).

He had to leave at least one rocker, so he went with @#$%& cuz he knew he wasn’t gonna win that one with Keef.

Remember all the light rock going on at the time? CSN&Y. James Taylor. Cat Stevens. Bread. Seals & Croft. Me and You and a Dog Named Boo. This was Mick’s campy period.

He really wanted to detour from the raw backward-looking blues sound of Exile in favor of what he always wants to do. Look forward. This is what influenced him and he steered GHS in that direction.

The result was a Stones version of that softer rock sound. Which thoroughly confused the @#$%& out of all of us at the time, who were, as I wrote, all expecting an album more like Emotional Rescue. In fact Mick tried to create another artsy themed album with IORR, which again failed to win breath-taking accolades. He finally threw in the towel and went with the winning formula with Some Girls some 5 years later.

GHS would have sounded a lot different with not only the 2 aforementioned tracks, but also “Who Am I,” their first reggae track “I Got A letter,” and “Fast Talking, Slow Walking” included. In my opinion, it would have been a more satisfying album at the time and now, years later.

I still think that GHS and IORR are overlooked gems with subtle sounds, lots of wah-wah, and Charlie coming into his own. IORR is a Watts masterpiece, just listen to the drums on the whole album. So I am overall very happy with the GHS rerelease. I am concerned however that if Scarlett was scotch-taped to this GHS rerelease, then there may not be an IORR rerelease.

That would be a pity.

Date: December 27, 2020 22:58

...and I still haven’t heard the two extra tracks off the rip-off expensive Japanese version...

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 27, 2020 23:05

plusplusjames
...and I still haven’t heard the two extra tracks off the rip-off expensive Japanese version...

Posted them up on my YouTube channel a couple months ago:

100 Years Ago
[www.youtube.com]

Can You Hear The Music
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-27 23:07 by JordyLicks96.

Date: December 28, 2020 02:17

Thank you sir!

They both offer only minor changes, both in vocalisations from what I can tell and some extended play at the end, which I eagerly accept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-28 03:40 by plusplusjames.

Date: December 28, 2020 03:42

Rockman
.....well not really ...

GOAT: Greatest Of All Time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2020 05:31

plusplusjames
Thank you sir!

They both offer only minor changes, both in vocalisations from what I can tell and some extended play at the end, which I eagerly accept.

Taylor's leads in 100 Years Ago are a bit lower.

The Lazy Bones part is hilariously different!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 28, 2020 06:18

plusplusjames

I still think that GHS and IORR are overlooked gems with subtle sounds, lots of wah-wah, and Charlie coming into his own. IORR is a Watts masterpiece, just listen to the drums on the whole album.

It should be noted that the IORR title track is actually a "Kenney Jones masterpiece."

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 28, 2020 21:43

[www.youtube.com]

The origins of Mr.D inside the basement of Nellcote 1971...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 28, 2020 21:45

Now that I listen to it more maybe not the stones? but sounds like an exile outtake?

Date: December 28, 2020 23:04

<How else to explain the omission of Criss Cross and All the Rage from the record>

Those tracks are weaker than the album tracks. I'm convinced that was the reason. Both are enjoyable, but very one-dimensional and they run out of steam. The latter had lyrics that... well, weren't finished, to be polite smiling smiley

Date: December 28, 2020 23:30

Not the Stones. But a nice jam, all the same.

Date: December 29, 2020 05:16

OpenG
Now that I listen to it more maybe not the stones? but sounds like an exile outtake?

Not the Stones.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 10, 2021 19:04

Quite technical but positive review of the super deluxe edition : [www.soundandvision.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 11, 2021 03:11

kowalski
Quite technical but positive review of the super deluxe edition : [www.soundandvision.com]

Would love to hear the Atmos mix. Heard Abbey Road in Atmos and it was thrilling. I do have the 2020 new Stereo Mix on SHM CD, and it upgrades the hell out of the original album, which I thought even in '73, that is was unevenly mixed.

Date: March 12, 2021 02:10

So far the GHS deluxe reissue if my fave of the four. I loved the first 3 songs from the extra EOMS album but overall it's as disappointing as the SOME GIRLS second disc.

Date: March 12, 2021 18:34

GasLightStreet
So far the GHS deluxe reissue if my fave of the four. I loved the first 3 songs from the extra EOMS album but overall it's as disappointing as the SOME GIRLS second disc.

I've got Scarlet, Criss Cross Mind, and Hide Your Love (alternate) in heavy rotation.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 12, 2021 19:38

plusplusjames
I wrote my review of GHS this past summer, well before the rerelease came out => [iorr.org].

After listening to the rerelease, I am persuaded more than ever that Mick deepsixed the more rocking numbers from the Kingston sessions to produce his own softer, lighter rock sound to emulate the music scene going on in 1973. How else to explain the omission of Criss Cross and All the Rage from the record. (Forget Scarlett, that was recorded well afterwards).

He had to leave at least one rocker, so he went with @#$%& cuz he knew he wasn’t gonna win that one with Keef.

Remember all the light rock going on at the time? CSN&Y. James Taylor. Cat Stevens. Bread. Seals & Croft. Me and You and a Dog Named Boo. This was Mick’s campy period.

He really wanted to detour from the raw backward-looking blues sound of Exile in favor of what he always wants to do. Look forward. This is what influenced him and he steered GHS in that direction.

The result was a Stones version of that softer rock sound. Which thoroughly confused the @#$%& out of all of us at the time, who were, as I wrote, all expecting an album more like Emotional Rescue. In fact Mick tried to create another artsy themed album with IORR, which again failed to win breath-taking accolades. He finally threw in the towel and went with the winning formula with Some Girls some 5 years later.

GHS would have sounded a lot different with not only the 2 aforementioned tracks, but also “Who Am I,” their first reggae track “I Got A letter,” and “Fast Talking, Slow Walking” included. In my opinion, it would have been a more satisfying album at the time and now, years later.

I still think that GHS and IORR are overlooked gems with subtle sounds, lots of wah-wah, and Charlie coming into his own. IORR is a Watts masterpiece, just listen to the drums on the whole album. So I am overall very happy with the GHS rerelease. I am concerned however that if Scarlett was scotch-taped to this GHS rerelease, then there may not be an IORR rerelease.

That would be a pity.

I don't know anybody who a expected an album like "Emotional Rescue" as a natural follow-up to "Exile", in fact I know a lot of people who were disappointed by "Emotional Rescue" being the follow-up to "Some Girls".

I also think that the 3 tracks you mentioned plus "Criss Cross" and "All The Rage" replacing certain tracks on "Goats Head Soup" would have dragged the album down just because these songs are nothing more than mediocre at best.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:23

Since they haven't done any of the deluxe reissues in regard to any anniversary dates, which I guess they could've if they'd wanted to, at least with EMOTIONAL RESCUE, and obviously this year STICKY FINGERS as well as TATTOO YOU, they only have two 1970s LPs to reissue as a deluxe.

I was surprised they bothered with GOATS HEAD SOUP. What in the hell would inspire UMG to want to deluxe reissue IORR or BAB? And where does it end? There's no reason to bother with anything post-1981, not that they'd do something for TY. Perhaps ER.

It's not like Fool To Cry gets played on the radio like Angie does nor did it as well as IORR(BILI) have the same chart success.

Date: March 14, 2021 06:15

GasLightStreet
Since they haven't done any of the deluxe reissues in regard to any anniversary dates, which I guess they could've if they'd wanted to, at least with EMOTIONAL RESCUE, and obviously this year STICKY FINGERS as well as TATTOO YOU, they only have two 1970s LPs to reissue as a deluxe.

I was surprised they bothered with GOATS HEAD SOUP. What in the hell would inspire UMG to want to deluxe reissue IORR or BAB? And where does it end? There's no reason to bother with anything post-1981, not that they'd do something for TY. Perhaps ER.

It's not like Fool To Cry gets played on the radio like Angie does nor did it as well as IORR(BILI) have the same chart success.

I think reissuing GHS might come from a desire to right a wrong. It was badly mixed, and not that well received. Angie is indeed a monster hit. And people are hungry for anything from the Golden Years. (Wah, wah, wah.)

Date: March 15, 2021 03:19

24FPS
GasLightStreet

I think reissuing GHS might come from a desire to right a wrong. It was badly mixed, and not that well received. Angie is indeed a monster hit. And people are hungry for anything from the Golden Years. (Wah, wah, wah.)

Yet there's still more they could've released with any of them. Oh well.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 18, 2021 19:12

Not digging through th thread to see if this has been posted before, which is likely winking smiley
They seemed to really struggle with a cover for GHS cool smiley

Mock up for a proposed cover for the Goats Head Soup album by Hipgnosis, 1973

[twitter.com]

Date: March 19, 2021 05:52

Those horses seem to be missing the same piece of anatomy the lion was.

jb

Date: March 19, 2021 08:54

Mane ????

ROCKMAN

Date: March 19, 2021 09:19

Xactly.

jb

Date: March 19, 2021 15:25

jbwelda
Those horses seem to be missing the same piece of anatomy the lion was.

jb

That is odd. Maybe that's part of the reason why SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES looks like a pair of balls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 15:26 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 23, 2021 19:25

Am I the only one on this board who thinks that the three Glyn Johns remixes are a waste of disc space? Given the recent FFSO leak, there were more interesting recordings available for real fans which the expanded release was aimed at.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 99 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home