Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 96 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:29

TheflyingDutchman
Both Keith and Taylor could have played rhythm guitar on the studio version. On the live version (London'73)you can hear Taylor and Richards playing the same powerchords. (in the beginning).On the studio version the rhythm guitar is not as aggressive as Keith's rhythm guitar on the live version.So a good chance it's Taylor in the studio playing the rhythm part as well. Take what you like.

On the Rotterdam Rehearsals Keith plays the same rhythm track, not for note, while Taylor is trying out various nice licks over it.

Mathijs

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:30

My Deluxe vinyl box has been officially declared lost in the Mail from JPC Germany to my home in Perth Australia so my credit card is being credited. Now to source another. Was about $150aud delivered from Germany, or in my case, NOT delivered! So looking for deals

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:33

JB -HiFi .... walk in tamorrow and grab one ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 6, 2020 13:38

Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman
Both Keith and Taylor could have played rhythm guitar on the studio version. On the live version (London'73)you can hear Taylor and Richards playing the same powerchords. (in the beginning).On the studio version the rhythm guitar is not as aggressive as Keith's rhythm guitar on the live version.So a good chance it's Taylor in the studio playing the rhythm part as well. Take what you like.

On the Rotterdam Rehearsals Keith plays the same rhythm track, not for note, while Taylor is trying out various nice licks over it.

Mathijs

Yep. Maybe Keith tried to play (Taylor's?) rhythm part from the studio and then switched to the rhytm part we can hear on the '73 live versions. That's quite different and more heavy stuff.All I can add is that good old Bård mentioned that Keith himself said he only played bas on the studio track. But that's years ago, the track talk on which I just looked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 13:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 6, 2020 13:43

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Yep. Maybe Keith tried to play (Taylor's?) rhythm part from the studio and then switched to the rhytm part we can hear on the '73 live versions. That's quite different and more heavy stuff.

It's pretty similar. The main difference is how the G is played. On GHS it's played in the 10th position. Live it's (from what I can hear) played in the third position).

However, Keith played the Em/Em7-stuff very similar to the album version - to the point that he screws up the rhythm at the very same place (like on the album - compare the first and second verse line).

If I was forced to put money on this, I'd say the studio version is Taylor, though smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 13:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Goats Head Soup Super De Luxe - Spine Title. OCD? Moi?
Posted by: UKRod ()
Date: October 6, 2020 13:58

You're elegantly wasted in IORR, you should be a stand up comedian.....

Date: October 6, 2020 13:59

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Yep. Maybe Keith tried to play (Taylor's?) rhythm part from the studio and then switched to the rhytm part we can hear on the '73 live versions. That's quite different and more heavy stuff.All I can add is that good old Bård mentioned that Keith himself said he only played bas on the studio track. But that's years ago, the track talk on which I just looked.

It's pretty similar. The main difference is how the G is played. On GHS it's played in the 10th position. Live it's (from what I can hear) played in the third position).

However, Keith played the Em/Em7-stuff very similar to the album version - to the point that he screws up the rhythm at the very same place (like on the album - compare the first and second verse line).

If I was forced to put money on this, I'd say the studio version is Taylor, though smiling smiley

The studio track doesn't really sound like Keith to me, but in those days.. it sounds a bit too slow and dreamy and all that. I don't know. The London '73 version works much better imo.

Date: October 6, 2020 14:38

Rockman
JB -HiFi .... walk in tamorrow and grab one ...

AUD280??? $70 per LP? Yeah, right. Ridiculously priced. Plus, my local doesn’t stock vinyl. It’s another 2 hrs of driving to spend AUD280. Reckon I’ll try online Rocky. $330 plus postage from Discrepancy Records Melbourne. Aussie retailers are, unfortunately, a joke. I used to support 78Records (now gone) and DaDa Records in Perth, but their prices were silly. SILLY. Even allowing for wages and rent etc.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-06 14:41 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 6, 2020 14:45

GHS 2020, 4LP-Deluxe: EUR 85.99 - [www.Amazon.nl] .

Date: October 6, 2020 15:36

Irix
GHS 2020, 4LP-Deluxe: EUR 85.99 - [www.Amazon.nl] .

Won’t deliver to Australie. Tks though

Rod

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 6, 2020 19:24

That original parcel may still show up on your doorstep and it will be free!

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:58

AUD280??? $70 per LP? Yeah, right. Ridiculously priced.

Wait till JB have one of those 25% off sales .....
They usually have one every month

ROCKMAN

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 6, 2020 21:45

Sorry to change the subject - On Coming Down Again who is the female singing backup vocals with Keith,Mick and MT.

Date: October 6, 2020 21:48

OpenG
Sorry to change the subject - On Coming Down Again who is the female singing backup vocals with Keith,Mick and MT.

Mick's falsetto, surely?

Date: October 7, 2020 09:57

jbwelda
That original parcel may still show up on your doorstep and it will be free!

jb

I am NEVER that lucky!! More like I’d go buy one for $230 THEN it would turn up from Germany!!

Rod

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 7, 2020 14:38

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Yep. Maybe Keith tried to play (Taylor's?) rhythm part from the studio and then switched to the rhytm part we can hear on the '73 live versions. That's quite different and more heavy stuff.

I think it is Richards, as the part is really similar to the rehearsals and the live versions, and it's fairly similar to Keith's part of Time Waits. Also, I don't know of any other Taylor part that's quite similar.

Mathijs

Date: October 7, 2020 15:28

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

I think it is Richards, as the part is really similar to the rehearsals and the live versions, and it's fairly similar to Keith's part of Time Waits. Also, I don't know of any other Taylor part that's quite similar.

Mathijs

That is a good point.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 7, 2020 20:26

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Mathijs

I’m thinking that guitar is Richards as well. I think the quote that is associated with Heartbreaker is incorrect, and Richards meant to say 100 Years ago. That makes so much more sense with Taylor on wah and Richards on Bass.

Also, I hear an acoustic in the new mix (1st chorus) as well as some buried Taylor guitar in the outro. One note in particular has operatic vibrato (3:02-3:03).

Date: October 7, 2020 20:30

TravelinMan
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
TheflyingDutchman

Mathijs

Mathijs

I’m thinking that guitar is Richards as well. I think the quote that is associated with Heartbreaker is incorrect, and Richards meant to say 100 Years ago. That makes so much more sense with Taylor on wah and Richards on Bass.

Also, I hear an acoustic in the new mix (1st chorus) as well as some buried Taylor guitar in the outro. One note in particular has operatic vibrato (3:02-3:03).

Regarding the Heartbreaker-debate earlier (Taylor on wah wah), I think so, too. He was probably talking about 100 Years Ago.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2020 21:36

Regarding Keith's statement about Taylor playing wah wah on Heartbreaker, sure he may have been confused and misspoken, but there's also the possibility Taylor may have used a miniscule amount of wah during the solo.
While that wouldn't justify Keith's comment entirely, there's the possibility it was partially accurate. And since we're speculating since no one knows for sure one way or another, maybe there was another studio take where Taylor is all over the wah wah (both rhythm and lead), and Keith was referring to that. Keith made the statement not long after the tune was released, so it's hard to completely dismiss it as he being confused and/or mistaken.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 7, 2020 21:47

Hairball, that could be true. Personally, I just think he said the wrong song title at the moment.

Sometimes interviews are interesting, like Taylor saying he took the solo on Bitch. Well it’s true....on the Herbie Mann album!!!

Date: October 7, 2020 22:05

Mathijs

Mathijs

I do. Morning Story (Gotenburg 1975) with Jack Bruce is a perfect example where Taylor blasts out power chords just like that. Actually it's a very rudimental way of playing the guitar; Taylor played power chords with distortion very often. The semi funky minor 7 chords are surely Keith. The main reason to assume that is because Keith plays them on the live recording as well. It has not very much to do with particular advanced style, but still the entire guitar part is quite ok and thus relevant for this song, be it Richards or Taylor.On the studio version it's Preston an Jagger who really make the song, live it's the entire band. At least that's my view on the case. Even terrible guitarplayers like Jeff Beck or Eddie van Halen (RIP Eddie) could have played it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-07 22:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 7, 2020 23:01

Terrible guitar players like Jeff Beck?

sheesh. Unbelievable.

jb

Date: October 7, 2020 23:05

jbwelda
Terrible guitar players like Jeff Beck?

sheesh. Unbelievable.

jb

grinning smiley

Date: October 7, 2020 23:09

OK, you were kidding. I see it now.

cheers
jb

Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:15

Sighunt
bitusa2012
I like it. But the video? Now, I’m a red blooded male. But that’s crass from a band pushing into their 80s. Do they really think in 2020, that’s appropriate?

I remember many of us squirmed with Keith’s “Bare your breasts And let me feel at home” line, at his age, from This Place is Empty in 2005. 15 years later we get this tawdry video...

After the refreshing Living in a ghost Town video, this one is dreadful.

But I like the song.

For me, it is not that I'm a prude, I just think that the video is pointless. Here you are the Rolling Stones who are showcasing (arguably) one of their better outtake/rarities for the world to hear for the first time, and you match it up with a T & A video coming from guys in their 70's...C'mon!

i went back all the way to page whatever of this thread just looking for opinions on that video. I guess it's not for everyone, just like the Stones themselves. Going out on a limb I assume there was A LOT of thought put into this one especially compared to the Ghost Town video. Not much appreciation from the superfans makes me appreciate it just that much more.

and btw we're calling them 80somethings now, just like that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-12 07:28 by Nikkei.

Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:32

wow you guys shock me more than the Stones could ever hope to. "a vulgar chick with hairy armpits" wat? where were you in the 70s? I thought that used to be common. Some really should give the Beatles another chance

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 12, 2020 15:12

To my great disappointment the vinyl box does not include any book or other goodies. Just the four vinyls.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 12, 2020 15:14

One more question.
I wanted to buy the japanese CD to have the two extra songs.
There was a german webshop I believe where you can do that.
Can somebody point me to the right item?
Same question for the San Jose CD.
Thanks!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 12, 2020 15:25

Whale
One more question.
I wanted to buy the japanese CD to have the two extra songs.
There was a german webshop I believe where you can do that.
Can somebody point me to the right item?
Same question for the San Jose CD.
Thanks!
Here is the link for San Jose DVD+2CD
[www.jpc.de]
as above + t-shirt
[www.jpc.de]
San Jose Bluray+2CD
[www.jpc.de]

They do not have Japanese version of Goats Head Soup with bonus tracks. For that you should go to cdjapan or amazon Japan
[www.amazon.co.jp]
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-12 15:30 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101Next
Current Page: 96 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home