Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 2, 2020 18:18

Irix
treaclefingers

Couldn't find the clear vinyl any longer, appeared 'sold out' through RollingStones.com.

Clear Vinyl is also available here: [www.Merchbar.com] , [Platenzaak.nl] .

Seems as though it sold out so quickly they decided to do another pressing. I don't think they do that too often with the more novelty stuff.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 2, 2020 18:24

Rockman
lso doubt that the rather generic country-throwaway "No Spare Parts" was the best track they could choose for a lead-off single to promote the album...

Was only ever lucky enough
ta find one copy of that 7 " ....

Ditto

Rod

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 3, 2020 16:43

bitusa2012
Rockman
lso doubt that the rather generic country-throwaway "No Spare Parts" was the best track they could choose for a lead-off single to promote the album...

Was only ever lucky enough
ta find one copy of that 7 " ....

Ditto

I got a little luckier. You needs your museum copies.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 3, 2020 18:12

I managed to score two No Spare Parts, one for the archieve and one for the player

Can You Hear the Music
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 1, 2020 17:55

On this track can someone tell me which guitars Taylor and Richards are playing.Is Keith playing a guitar that is making the wah sound.It can’t be Preston because he is not credited in the original album credits when it was released in 1973as playing on this track.Only Nicky Hopkins is on piano

Re: Can You Hear the Music
Date: October 2, 2020 00:54

Keith on wah wah. Taylor on the two distorted tracks that play melody.

Taylor on Heartbreaker
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 2, 2020 13:36

I don't know where that discussion went about Taylor's part on Heartbreaker -but listening to the remixed version it is clear Taylor only plays the two solo's. The electric rhythm guitar is Keith, the wah is Preston on the clavinet, the same as he did for If You Can't Rock Me. According to Jimmy Miller the leslie was added to Taylor's guitar sound after the recording.

Mathijs

Re: Taylor on Heartbreaker
Date: October 2, 2020 16:32

I recommend people to listen to the Brussels '73 version. There Taylor's contribution is much more significant than the studio version.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 2, 2020 17:51

Where’s the Miller interview regarding Heartbreaker?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 2, 2020 18:50

TheflyingDutchman
I recommend people to listen to the Brussels '73 version. There Taylor's contribution is much more significant than the studio version.

London '73 is way better, but yeah, Taylor is driving the song live.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 2, 2020 18:55

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 2, 2020 19:21

I still think the Brussels version is far superior to London '73, both in Micks vocals and Taylors solo .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 2, 2020 19:44

Mathijs
I don't know where that discussion went about Taylor's part on Heartbreaker -but listening to the remixed version it is clear Taylor only plays the two solo's. The electric rhythm guitar is Keith, the wah is Preston on the clavinet, the same as he did for If You Can't Rock Me. According to Jimmy Miller the leslie was added to Taylor's guitar sound after the recording.

Mathijs
Pure genius on Jimmy Miller's part for adding the Leslie to Taylor's guitar .

Date: October 2, 2020 21:22

Bjorn
[www.youtube.com]

That's the one I meant thumbs up

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 3, 2020 01:52

TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs
Pure genius on Jimmy Miller's part for adding the Leslie to Taylor's guitar .

Why is it pure genius? Its what producers do.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 3, 2020 05:31

>Its what producers do.

Not necessarily

jb

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 3, 2020 06:22

jbwelda
>Its what producers do.

Not necessarily

jb

yes its what producers do. Its not rocket science. Adding an effect to anything is not being genius.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2020 06:30

genius is a word that get tossed
around a lil too much now days .. ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 3, 2020 15:27

Well, I don’t think it’s a coincidence they made some of their best records under Jimmy Miller. Maybe it can be considered genius amongst producers? If the Leslie was added later, that would require them to re-amp it, which wasn’t really a common technique back then.

Miller liked to record the Leslie guitars in stereo as well, and that’s how you get that dreamy vibe on those songs.

Date: October 3, 2020 23:23

So it’s Keith on the distorted guitar you can hear on the left channel playing throughout the song and not Taylor? In 1973 Keith only mentioned he played bass

Date: October 4, 2020 15:12

Taylor1
So it’s Keith on the distorted guitar you can hear on the left channel playing throughout the song and not Taylor? In 1973 Keith only mentioned he played bass

The guitar in the studio sounds very similar to the (rhythm) guitar part that Taylor played in London '73.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: October 4, 2020 18:32

Its only "not rocket science" if you do not have to do it.

jb

Date: October 4, 2020 21:21

jbwelda
Its only "not rocket science" if you do not have to do it.

jb

?

Date: October 4, 2020 23:33

So Taylor only plays the solo?

Date: October 5, 2020 00:14

Both Keith and Taylor could have played rhythm guitar on the studio version. On the live version (London'73)you can hear Taylor and Richards playing the same powerchords. (in the beginning).On the studio version the rhythm guitar is not as aggressive as Keith's rhythm guitar on the live version.So a good chance it's Taylor in the studio playing the rhythm part as well. Take what you like.

Goats Head Soup Super De Luxe - Spine Title. OCD? Moi?
Posted by: UKRod ()
Date: October 5, 2020 18:55

Opened my eagerly awaited Goats Head Soup Super de Luxe version from the postman today with the 3 CDs, a Blu-Ray Disc, book and posters. All is great, delighted with it, especially the Brussels Affair CD to finally get an official version rather than rely on a couple of bootlegs I have owned for many years. I have just one niggle. The Spine of the box set just states 'the Rolling Stones' at the top, followed by nothing but a small silver tongue logo at the bottom. So when it's on the bookshelf, it does not say it is 'Goats Head Soup', it's blank. Now I know it is GHS Super De Luxe and so do you, but it still niggles that, for all that money (£104.95), nobody bothered to give it a spine title. Is it me just being rather OCD, or what? GRRRR!

Re: Goats Head Soup Super De Luxe - Spine Title. OCD? Moi?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 5, 2020 19:26

Hadn't put any thought into it until now but, I rather like that about it after looking more closely.
The font is totally GHS, and by putting just the Jagger pic on the front, without the band name, it works nicely.

Re: Goats Head Soup Super De Luxe - Spine Title. OCD? Moi?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 5, 2020 19:29

Have you got a pen ? winking smiley

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: October 6, 2020 00:00

The Dolby 7.1 is awesome. Amazing clarity and almost no compression. I was finally be able to mix the final part of Mick Taylor's lead solo in Winter to the left channel. In all the official versions his guitar solo is suddenly mixed to the center which I find very annoying!

Here is a stereo mixdown snippet of Winter with the lead guitar solo completey mixed in the left channel
[we.tl]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 6, 2020 12:27

TheflyingDutchman
Bjorn
[www.youtube.com]

That's the one I meant thumbs up

This London version together with the London version of Gimme Shelter are in my opinion the two best live tracks ever recorded by the Stones.

Mathijs

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home