Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 22, 2020 17:19

georgie48
Hairball
19 has a nice ring to it - hats off to the Stones.thumbs up

Not surprising that Sticky and Exile reissues did so well in the Billboard 200, but strange that Some Girls did quite poorly.
Wondering what will be their next Oldie reissue and looking forward to it, but looking forward to a brand new album even more so.

I think, but may be wrong, that UMG was lifting on the great success of the Exile reentry and did a poor promotion of Some Girls, the originally best sold album of the Stones.

Some Girls sold really well because of Miss You and Beast of Burden. You’re not going to rope in a bunch of young classic rock fans with those cuts.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 22, 2020 17:21

LieB
TravelinMan
LieB
The flute is hilarious! Good decision to cut the "solo" from the original release.

By the way, wasn't Fast Talking from the GHS sessions? Shouldn't it have been included here?

Really? Haha, I actually like it a lot.

There is some speculation that Fast Talking is from IORR sessions.

Well, I only heard it once so far, but my spontaneous reaction was that the melody of the flute solo was a little corny. I think overall that Can You Hear The Music is the weakest song on the album.

Okay, I can definitely imagine Fast Talking as an IORR outtake alongside Living In The Heart of Love and Drift Away.

Without a solo, Can You Hear the Music seems to have no structure and is meandering into the abyss. I think the solo gives the song a definite character and sticking point to remember.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2020 18:46

SKILLS
I found this really interesting concerning the package and his take on the Surround Mix

[www.youtube.com]

I'm glad I only got the 2 CD edition. Seeing that box set makes me glad I didn't waste my money on that hunk of garbage.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2020 20:10

SKILLS
Maindefender
SKILLS
I found this really interesting concerning the package and his take on the Surround Mix

[www.youtube.com]

Lol why would he start with his conclusion? By :36 I was done. thumbs down

I had the same experience but hung in a bit longer and he broke down why, but seriously the Posters where a selling point for me along with the Surround Mix and seeing that the Posters are a let down & the Surround Patchy... I'll still buy it

Yes the posters originally made it tempting, but I knew they would be really small from the pics, and figured it wasn't worth all the extra money.
Seeing them now in the video rolled up so tightly...disappointing to say the least, and glad I held out and settled for the two cd set at a fraction of the price (I already have Brussels Deluxe).
That being said, they guy in the video seems to be a bit of a whiner, and not sure I'd let anything he says influence my opinion one way or the other on just about anything...
Eventually, there will be a blowout sale for the box set just as there's always been with other releases, and if it's ever cheap enough (below $50) I might go for it

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2020 21:02

Couldn't be happier with the deluxe cd set.. posters were never a big draw, but if I ever take them out they'll do nicely in the workshop cool smiley

Never been a buyer of any of the deluxe sets.. or purchased Brussels in any format till now.. making the cd set at just over $110 a bargain imo.
The book is fantastic, am not bothered by the packaging of it in the least. Put my hands on the deluxe LP version last week and was so glad I didn't opt for that.. (grabbed the alt cover w 7" vinyl) as it was tempting, but boring in comparison.

Great set, in my limited listening to all the other deluxe sets online etc., I'd rank it as best deluxe set yet.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 23, 2020 01:27

There really isn't anything notable in the cd super deluxe set that's not in the vinyl set, except maybe a lot of bricks in the wall. Those little bitty "posters" are kinda cute though.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2020 01:34

Yeah kinda like MrDDDD ....
posters never did a thang for me ...

Book is nicely done ... went for Japanese DeeeeLuxe .... Lovely

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2020 03:15

A bit odd that it isn't a standalone book, but instead it's part of the overall contraption that's been glued in - what the hell.
And I can't stand it when cd's are rammed into those tiny slots in the sets vs. having their own cd sleeves - imagine if they did that with vinyl.
Aside from the music itself, seems the pamphlet on how to make Goats Head Soup might be the highlight!

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: September 23, 2020 04:17

Finally got mine! Love it!

Date: September 23, 2020 04:55

Aside from the music itself, seems the pamphlet on how to make Goats Head Soup might be the highlight!

Easy answer dont buy ... then when we wont
have ta read anymore of your negative remarks ...

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2020 05:21

I thought they were valid criticisms...who wants a book that's glued to the box, or cd's shoved in between cardboard without their own sleeves?
I guess those quibbles don't bother some of those who paid $100+, though some actually do care (like the guy in the video), but for that money I'd expect better packaging.

GasLightStreet
SKILLS

[www.youtube.com]

I'm glad I only got the 2 CD edition. Seeing that box set makes me glad I didn't waste my money on that hunk of garbage.

True, but the music is good for the most part aside from one (or two) of the "new" tunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 05:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 23, 2020 06:40

GasLightStreet
SKILLS

[www.youtube.com]

Okay, so I'm not pining for the Blu Ray version then. Perhaps, if the price is manageable, I'll get the 2020 version on Japanese SHM CD.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 23, 2020 06:41

> imagine if they did that with vinyl.

Don't go giving them any ideas.

thanks
jb

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 07:13

I have been playing it since it was released, and I think it is great, I have the 3 cd version with the blu ray disc.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 23, 2020 11:03

Hairball
I thought they were valid criticisms...who wants a book that's glued to the box, or cd's shoved in between cardboard without their own sleeves?
I guess those quibbles don't bother some of those who paid $100+, though some actually do care (like the guy in the video), but for that money I'd expect better packaging.
Actually, they put CDs that way at least five times before
2012 - Charlie Is My Darling Superdeluxe (nobody even mentioned)
2012 - Grrr! Superdeluxe (everybody was b$%^^ing about Gregory, I would add extremely heavy and rather pointless oversized book)
2015 - Sticky Fingers Superdeluxe (again, no complains about the way CDs were packed and about zipper in the front page of a heavy book but tons of moans due to incomplete Roadhouse show.)
2017 - TSMR 50th Anniversary (nothing, who cares about it)
2019 - LIB 50th Anniversary (well, this time there were individual sleeves but still, CDs were in the pockets)
Why this issue with CDs in the pockets popped up this time? Is it because some guy mentioned on youtube? This is Deluxe packaging you can not expect CDs in individual jewel cases winking smiley.

Glued book? Better this than oversized Grrr! or zipper that scratches everything it touches.

I can agree with the remarks about Atmos (that are actually are not Atmos) mixes.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: September 23, 2020 12:07

I got my Super Deluxe set last week and as ususal I always put the bonus disc on first, as 100 Years Ago is in my top 20 Stones song list I really dig the piano version.

The whole package doesn't reach the heights of the SF Super deluxe or the Some Girls Super deluxe (best book, best posters and best bonus disc ever) but it easily matches the Exile, LIB, GYYYO and GRRR boxes (I don't have the CIMD box).

My favourite thing with the GHS box is the pictures in the book of Ted Newman Jones III backstage.

The one with Keith and Charlie's back should've been included on a poster!! Talk about having a good conversation subject if that would hang on the wall on those late night/early morning after parties when the best drummer in the world starts blowin'!smileys with beer

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 12:15

ironbelly
Hairball
2012 - Grrr! Superdeluxe (everybody was b$%^^ing about Gregory, I would add extremely heavy and rather pointless oversized book)
2015 - Sticky Fingers Superdeluxe (again, no complains about the way CDs were packed and about zipper in the front page of a heavy book but tons of moans due to incomplete Roadhouse show.)
2019 - LIB 50th Anniversary (well, this time there were individual sleeves but still, CDs were in the pockets)
Why this issue with CDs in the pockets popped up this time? Is it because some guy mentioned on youtube? This is Deluxe packaging you can not expect CDs in individual jewel cases winking smiley.

Glued book? Better this than oversized Grrr! or zipper that scratches everything it touches.

I can agree with the remarks about Atmos (that are actually are not Atmos) mixes.

I care about my CDs and stopped buying these boxsets and most digipacks ... eye rolling smiley

Date: September 23, 2020 12:28

glimmertwin1
I care about my CDs and stopped buying these boxsets and most digipacks ... eye rolling smiley
Agree. Jewel case is a proper package for CD (although not ideal). On the other hand I do not know if modern cheap Chinese plastic jewel cases are any better than digipaks (I am not talking about paper sleeves and mini-LP replicas that are total junk). They do not produce heavy jewels anymore, like those for the early day CDs.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 23, 2020 13:08

ironbelly
glimmertwin1
Agree. Jewel case is a proper package for CD (although not ideal). On the other hand I do not know if modern cheap Chinese plastic jewel cases are any better than digipaks (I am not talking about paper sleeves and mini-LP replicas that are total junk). They do not produce heavy jewels anymore, like those for the early day CDs.

Always loved the digipacks and mini lp replicas! Never had a problem with them.

Have been buying CDs since day 1, and have to say that modern jewel cases (Chinese?) are just as bad as the old ones (the ones with the black tray). Teeth of the tray always crack (and often scratched the disk), plastic goes yellow after a couple of years, lids crack etc. etc.

By the way, if someone wants to get rid of the superdeluxe garbage, some time ago my dog slaughtered the box of my Ya Ya deluxe: anybody willing to provide a replacement?

C

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 13:41

liddas
ironbelly
glimmertwin1

Have been buying CDs since day 1, and have to say that modern jewel cases (Chinese?) are just as bad as the old ones (the ones with the black tray). Teeth of the tray always crack (and often scratched the disk), plastic goes yellow after a couple of years, lids crack etc. etc.

By the way, if someone wants to get rid of the superdeluxe garbage, some time ago my dog slaughtered the box of my Ya Ya deluxe: anybody willing to provide a replacement?

C

I can sell you mine (absolutely mint condition) shipping from Europe. Just let me know here and I can send you an email?

It's this one 3CD / 1DVD & Book

[smile.amazon.de]

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-23 13:45 by glimmertwin1.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 23, 2020 17:31

glimmertwin1
liddas
ironbelly
glimmertwin1

C

I can sell you mine (absolutely mint condition) shipping from Europe. Just let me know here and I can send you an email?

It's this one 3CD / 1DVD & Book

[smile.amazon.de]

Cheers

Thank you for your kind offer, but actually I was interested only in the box!

C

Date: September 23, 2020 18:45

ironbelly
Hairball

I never said it was the first time they did this with the cd's, and just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's OK. I'm not a fan of these short-cuts that are done by any band, and eventually cd's have a higher risk of getting scratched/damaged without sleeves and being pulled in and out of a tight cardboard slots- seems to be common sense. And the fact is, they used a sleeve over the blu-ray this time, so why not use a sleeve for the other cd's? Even Keith's Talk is Cheap Deluxe has the cd's in individual sleeves, and they're not crammed in to a cardboard slot! As for the book being glued in to the package, a completely unnecessary feature - there's really no point at all unless there's a irrational fear that the book will be separated and lost from the rest of the package. What is interesting is that you did all that research for comparisons and took the time to reply to a few valid common sense criticisms! lol

Date: September 23, 2020 19:04

Fair points about the book I suppose. In looking at it closely, it would be very easy to detach and keep as a stand alone. Not going to do it myself as my fear of the book getting lost from the set is not only rational, but expected winking smiley But it is indeed a complete stand alone book with front and back cover, as opposed to the packaging replacing the back cover etc.

Nice to have it all together, fits as neatly on a shelf as the album set.
No doubt many will remove the book with what I would suspect little or no damage where the adhesive was. Likely to see on eBay etc I bet, it's a great book.

GHS 2020 alternative cover and 7”
Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 23, 2020 20:01

Noticed the 2LP clear vinyl sold out pretty quickly but the version with the 7” single is still available, yet it says limited edition. I’m guessing they must have produced far more copies of this version. Does anyone have any idea regards numbers?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Re: GHS 2020 alternative cover and 7”
Date: September 23, 2020 20:28

Nasty Habits
Noticed the 2LP clear vinyl sold out pretty quickly but the version with the 7” single is still available, yet it says limited edition. I’m guessing they must have produced far more copies of this version. Does anyone have any idea regards numbers?

Would be interesting to see the production numbers..
Part of the issue is that they released the alt cover w 7in last after many already ordered the 2 lp clear version and other variations.

Date: September 24, 2020 04:28

Whats the big deal with book being part of the package .....

Ya read it once then ya know where it is ....

If ya wanna look at the pictures ya can
have a geezer at the new Experience the Rolling Stones site ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 24, 2020 12:10

I know this is arguable. But I think this is the most overwhelming reissue in stones career and it surpasses any other reissue made before (marketing wise, so to speak).
I do not mind it. But in the other hand it puzzles me.

Does somebody agree?

What may be the reason/s behind this extraordinaire effort compared to others?

There are other records reissues that deserved at least the same drive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-24 12:12 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: September 24, 2020 12:20

emotionalbarbecue
I know this is arguable. But I think this is the most overwhelming reissue in stones career and it surpasses any other reissue made before (marketing wise, so to speak).
I do not mind it. But in the other hand it puzzles me.

Does somebody agree?

What may be the reason/s behind this extraordinaire effort compared to others?

There are other records reissues that deserved at least the same drive.

Exile was plugged just as much, wasn't it? Sticky, too.

The question is rather why SG was a more 'low key'-release, imo.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 24, 2020 12:23

As I remember, the Exile and Some Girls reissues had about the same marketing. There were singles released (Plundered My Soul and No Spare Parts) and a lot of buzz on social media.

Date: September 24, 2020 12:28

Hairball
What is interesting is that you did all that research for comparisons and took the time to reply to a few valid common sense criticisms! lol
It took me only to type the answer. No research was done. I have good memory winking smiley

NilsHolgersson
As I remember, the Exile and Some Girls reissues had about the same marketing. There were singles released (Plundered My Soul and No Spare Parts) and a lot of buzz on social media.
And Some Girls got special editions like wig box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-24 12:30 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1207
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home