Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 18, 2020 15:58

TravelinMan
LieB
The flute is hilarious! Good decision to cut the "solo" from the original release.

By the way, wasn't Fast Talking from the GHS sessions? Shouldn't it have been included here?

Really? Haha, I actually like it a lot.

There is some speculation that Fast Talking is from IORR sessions.

Well, I only heard it once so far, but my spontaneous reaction was that the melody of the flute solo was a little corny. I think overall that Can You Hear The Music is the weakest song on the album.

Okay, I can definitely imagine Fast Talking as an IORR outtake alongside Living In The Heart of Love and Drift Away.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 18, 2020 16:01

peoplewitheyes
It's time for me to proclaim how much I love the Heartbreaker instrumental again!

Who's with me?!

I dont love it I ADORE it

+1 smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 18, 2020 16:39

Crazy version!!!
Street Fighting Punk!!!!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2020 17:16

KRiffhard
Crazy version!!!
Street Fighting Punk!!!!
[youtu.be]

What I love in that version - and like in all best 1973 performances - that even though they have a world record speed for them, they sound so tight, focused and natural. Despite the crazy speed, they control the wheel, they know what they do and are able to do incredible individual choices in the middle of the hurricane (especially two Micks and Keith). The interplay of the guitars - a pure dualism and nothing to do with any 'ancient art' - is as perfect as it can get - both Keith and Taylor do what they do best, trust and read each other by heart by then, and just let it go. The band is in a kind of 'flow state'.

Listening to this version and BRUSSELLS AFFAIR altogether (especially the original bootleg) makes me think that probably it was the best decision for Taylor to leave. I mean, what they could have done after that??!!! They were so trimmed, so bloody maximal-fulled supertight unit that you give a bit more gas there and they would have exploded!grinning smiley

It needed to be retuned and cooled down....

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 17:18 by Doxa.

Date: September 18, 2020 18:20

Doxa
KRiffhard
Crazy version!!!
Street Fighting Punk!!!!
[youtu.be]

What I love in that version - and like in all best 1973 performances - that even though they have a world record speed for them, they sound so tight, focused and natural. Despite the crazy speed, they control the wheel, they know what they do and are able to do incredible individual choices in the middle of the hurricane (especially two Micks and Keith). The interplay of the guitars - a pure dualism and nothing to do with any 'ancient art' - is as perfect as it can get - both Keith and Taylor do what they do best, trust and read each other by heart by then, and just let it go. The band is in a kind of 'flow state'.

Listening to this version and BRUSSELLS AFFAIR altogether (especially the original bootleg) makes me think that probably it was the best decision for Taylor to leave. I mean, what they could have done after that??!!! They were so trimmed, so bloody maximal-fulled supertight unit that you give a bit more gas there and they would have exploded!grinning smiley

It needed to be retuned and cooled down....

- Doxa

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 18, 2020 18:23

peoplewitheyes
It's time for me to proclaim how much I love the Heartbreaker instrumental again!

Who's with me?!

yes, but i am totally lost with the so-called DWMRD instrumental

Date: September 18, 2020 21:21

#2 ...not bad!!!
[kworb.net]

Date: September 18, 2020 22:47

Seemingly GHS made #3 in Billboard album list. That's not bad at all either.

- Doxa

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 18, 2020 22:50

KRiffhard
#2 ...not bad!!!
[kworb.net]

This was more than a week ago, sorry, but can’t find them now. Refresh that page please, and you get the active page.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: September 18, 2020 22:51

Ehh, click again on the album button to refresh

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 18, 2020 23:09

Doxa

- Doxa

...actually GHS is only 19 on Billboard 200...and in US it’s not a NEW album but the return of 1973 GHS.....!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 23:18

GOATS HEAD SOUP re-enters the Billboard 200, charting at #19.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:09

GREAT STUFF .... thank ya Rolling Stones ...

All Da Rage .....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 19, 2020 01:32

jp.M
Doxa

- Doxa

...actually GHS is only 19 on Billboard 200...and in US it’s not a NEW album but the return of 1973 GHS.....!

Ok, thanks for the correction. I don't know what chart I was looking at... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 19, 2020 02:47

GHS chart debuts (or re-entries) so far:

#1 Austria
#1 UK (16,800 copies / 13,107 copies on week 1 and 3.600 copies on week 2 charting at #14)
#1 Scotland
#2 Germany
#2 Belgium (Flanders)
#3 Swiss
#6 Netherlands
#6 France (3,300 copies)
#7 Portugal
#8 Sweden
#8 Spain
#8 Belgium (Wallony)
#13 Ireland
#14 Norway
#16 Finland
#17 Australia
#19 USA (#3 on sales only, #19 including streaming points on Billboard 200 - 22,000 copies)
#22 Italy
#24 Japan (#17 on sales only, #24 including streaming points - 3,500 copies)
#41 Poland
#55 Czech Republic
#78 Canada

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2020 02:52

Very nice!!

Thanks, georgelicks!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 19, 2020 03:26

From Billboard:

Soup-y Sales

The deluxe reissue of The Rolling Stones’ 1973 No. 1 album, Goats Head Soup, prompts the set’s reentry at No. 19 on the Billboard 200 and its debut at No. 1 on Top Rock Albums and Catalog Albums. The LP earned 21,000 equivalent album units in the week ending Sept. 10, according to Nielsen Music/MRC Data (up 7,890%) of that sum, 18,000 are in album sales, resulting in the set’s debut at No. 3 on Top Album Sales.

The reissue was available in a variety of formats, including some with previously unreleased tunes, such as the new Triple A hit “Scarlet” (featuring Jimmy Page) which ranks at #32 on this week's chart.

Since 2010, the Stones have reissued four of their Billboard 200 chart topping studio albums as expansive deluxe editions. Goats Head Soup was preceded by Sticky Fingers in 2015 (prompting a reentry at No. 5), Some Girls in 2011 (No. 46 reentry) and Exile on Main St. in 2010 (No. 2 reentry).
—KEITH CAULFIELD

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2020 04:13

19 has a nice ring to it - hats off to the Stones.thumbs up

Not surprising that Sticky and Exile reissues did so well in the Billboard 200, but strange that Some Girls did quite poorly.
Wondering what will be their next Oldie reissue and looking forward to it, but looking forward to a brand new album even more so.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 05:13

I could be mistaken but I don't recall there being a lot promotion behind the SOME GIRLS reissue back in 2011. At least definitely not as much as EXILE the year before, that had the release of "Stones In Exile," a week of EXILE stuff on Jimmy Fallon, "Plundered My Soul." STICKY FINGERS had the tour to promote alongside the reissue. GOATS had a lot of promotion with "Scarlet" plus the brand new mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 05:14 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2020 05:25

Hairball

Not surprising that Sticky and Exile reissues did so well in the Billboard 200, but strange that Some Girls did quite poorly.
Wondering what will be their next Oldie reissue and looking forward to it, but looking forward to a brand new album even more so.

Maybe if they'd've put more good songs on it than the garbage they put on it it would've done better! I know I was pissed. I was even more pissed that there wasn't a stand alone album like there was for EXILE. EXILE has possibly the biggest mythical status to it of all their albums. Who knows. Just because something originally sold really well doesn't mean anything after so much time.

Silver Train GHS video
Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:23

Just relaxing here in NZ Saturday morning and finally managed to enjoy a few moments child free with the GHS deluxe box. Have seen the 3 music videos before but not in this quality. The Silver Train video is just brilliant. Mick awesome in his blue jumpsuit, Mick and Keith singing together at the same mic, Charlie rolling his eyes at Micks dancing. Great little slide piece by Taylor. If you can watch the video loud and enjoy. Another reminder of my favourite period of the Stones. Now just have to find that bloody 73 Auckland poster for less than $12800 US dollars!

Re: Silver Train GHS video
Posted by: redkev ()
Date: September 19, 2020 00:43

Great video. Think the song would have made a better album opener than Dancing With Mr. D but SFTD, GS, BS and RO were an insane collection of opening tracks to follow on from.

Re: Silver Train GHS video
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 19, 2020 02:44

Was that maximum Bill Wyman hair?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: September 21, 2020 19:39

Rockman
GREAT STUFF .... thank ya Rolling Stones ...

All Da Rage .....

Agree! Just got a copy of the deluxe and love the entire 2nd LP more with each play

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 22, 2020 02:04

I found this really interesting concerning the package and his take on the Surround Mix

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2020 08:20

Hairball

I think, but may be wrong, that UMG was lifting on the great success of the Exile reentry and did a poor promotion of Some Girls, the originally best sold album of the Stones.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 22, 2020 09:48

SKILLS
I found this really interesting concerning the package and his take on the Surround Mix

[www.youtube.com]

Lol why would he start with his conclusion? By :36 I was done. thumbs down

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 22, 2020 10:12

Maindefender
KRiffhard
I really don't know why i love so much this song!! Someone help me please!!! grinning smiley
[youtu.be]

Could be those drums, I've only listened once but really stuck out.

I remember how blown away I was by the brillant Sound of the Brussels and London recordings when I bought the NASTY MUSIC double live bootleg back in 1977. And it was in fact the sound of the drums that stuck out. The sound of these recordings was simply mindblowing and is still today - apart from the then perfect band!

It is very sad that they decided to release the Brussels recordings again and that they did not decide to release other live recordings they made (at least) in London, Newcastle, and Essen. I mean Deep Pruple finally released all the Japan recordings from 1972 although the setlists are mostly identical.

I never get tired of listening to 1973 live recordings because in Europe the Rolling Stones were on their Peak, and you can listen to the same songs over and over again...

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 22, 2020 10:29

Maindefender
SKILLS

[www.youtube.com]

Lol why would he start with his conclusion? By :36 I was done. thumbs down

I had the same experience but hung in a bit longer and he broke down why, but seriously the Posters where a selling point for me along with the Surround Mix and seeing that the Posters are a let down & the Surround Patchy... I'll still buy it

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 22, 2020 11:10

maumau
peoplewitheyes

Who's with me?!

I dont love it I ADORE it

+1 smileys with beer

Makes you wonder how good it would be with a vocal too.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home