Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 11, 2020 19:55

From Music Week:

We are used to the sight of catalogue albums receiving special edition spruce-ups and journeying back into the charts after an absence of years or even decades. Regular readers of these pages will note that rare are the weeks in which at least one vintage recording doesn’t make a returning impact. But it appears to be left to the Rolling Stones to take these comebacks to an entirely new level.

Ten years ago they set an impressive chart benchmark when Exile On Main Street returned to the top of the charts after a gap of almost 38 years. This week they pull off the trick once more. Goats Head Soup, originally top of the charts for a fortnight in September 1973 is, this week, once again at No.1, 13,107 sales being enough to propel it back to the summit. At 47 years old it isn’t quite the oldest album to top the charts, nor the one with the longest gap, those records still held by Abbey Road by The Beatles which returned to No.1 last year on its 50th anniversary.

Commiserations then to Declan McKenna who fought the good fight but has to be content with second place for his second album Zeros, although this still represents a major career breakthrough for the 21-year-old singer, the sale of this record easily eclipsing the No.11 scaled by his 2017 debut What Do You Think About The Car. That album enjoyed an opening week sale of 5,807 and has sold 55,941 copies to date. His new record clocked up 12,264 copies last week on its way to hopefully eclipsing that total.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2020 20:13

13,107 sales...doesn't take much these days to make the charts and specifically have a number 1, and I'd bet the members on this site are responsible for 90% of those sales!
Such a low number it seems almost meaningless, but hats off to the Stones anyways - Mick and Keith surely did their share of promo work to make it happen!
Maybe if and when there's a brand new album they'll be able to repeat the feat? Wondering how many sales it took for Blue and Lonesome to hit #1 in the UK?

"At 47 years old it isn’t quite the oldest album to top the charts, nor the one with the longest gap,
those records still held by Abbey Road by The Beatles which returned to No.1 last year on its 50th anniversary".

The Beatles still setting the high bar after all these years, and also have more number 1 albums in total at 15.

EDIT: Curious as to where the new has GHS landed on the US charts? The Stones usually seem to do better in the UK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 20:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2020 20:19

Sing It Again, Rod - now there's a damn fine collection of songs!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 11, 2020 20:28

Elmo Lewis
Sing It Again, Rod - now there's a damn fine collection of songs!

Except "Pinball Wizard" - WTF? Please DON'T song it again, Rod.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:06

''The new feat also repeats the success of the 2010 deluxe reissue of 1972’s Exile On Main St., which returned to the summit after 48 years.''

surely that's 38 years!

Back to maths class, Sexton

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:26

Today the Rolling Stones hit No1 on the UK album chart with Goats Head Soup 2020, making it their 13th Number One album and setting a new record as the first band in UK chart history to hit the top of the charts with an album across six different decades! It’s only rock’n’roll but I like it

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:26

Hairball
13,107 sales...doesn't take much these days to make the charts and specifically have a number 1, and I'd bet the members on this site are responsible for 90% of those sales!
Such a low number it seems almost meaningless, but hats off to the Stones anyways - Mick and Keith surely did their share of promo work to make it happen!
Maybe if and when there's a brand new album they'll be able to repeat the feat? Wondering how many sales it took for Blue and Lonesome to hit #1 in the UK?

"At 47 years old it isn’t quite the oldest album to top the charts, nor the one with the longest gap,
those records still held by Abbey Road by The Beatles which returned to No.1 last year on its 50th anniversary".

The Beatles still setting the high bar after all these years, and also have more number 1 albums in total at 15.

EDIT: Curious as to where the new has GHS landed on the US charts? The Stones usually seem to do better in the UK.

Always great to get Hairball's blessings........eye rolling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 11, 2020 21:39

The Heartbreaker instrumental has a Neil Young 'On the Beach' feel to it

Man, I can't get enough of this version. If only I had some something to inhale that aint just air...

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:04

peoplewitheyes

Man, I can't get enough of this version. If only I had some something to inhale that aint just air...

Totaly agree!! Love this version!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:10

I'm wearing the t shirt and loving the double CD. Amazing achievement to get another No 1 this late in the game. I'm proud of them and grateful for so many years of music.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:25

Hairball

Why must you be such a negative nancy Hairball?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 11, 2020 22:26

Vera Lynn had a hit album when she was 100, maybe Mick can break her record some time

Date: September 11, 2020 22:57

In landing a Number 1 today, the Official Charts Company can confirm that The Rolling Stones set a new record, becoming the first band in Official Chart history to score a Number 1 album across six different decades.

Wouldn't it be seven different decades?

1) 60's
2) 70's
3) 80's
4) 90's
5) 00's
6) 10's
7) 20's

EDIT: Never mind, my mistake!! They didn't have a Number 1 album in the 2000's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 22:58 by JordyLicks96.

Date: September 11, 2020 23:00

Which album topped the charts in the 00s?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:05

I fail to see how Hairball is being a "negative nancy". What he says is truth, 13k sales to make a #1, boy thats off a bit from back when. Just face the truth and stop personalizing it. Shooting the messenger seems all the rage these days, after first engaging in character assassination that is.

jb

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:09

Although I got the package last week's thursday I didn't have time
to listen to it until today...and I'm so impressed,what a great listening
experience. That awful muddy sound is blown away...I'm speechless...almost.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:28

georgelicks
Rolling Stones Break Records As ‘Goats Head Soup’ Returns To UK No.1

The new success is the Stones’ 13th UK No.1 album, and they become the first band to have UK bestsellers in six different decades.

Published on September 11, 2020
By Paul Sexton

At the end of a close-fought chart battle, the Rolling Stones’ expanded, multi-format reissue of Goats Head Soup has taken the 1973 album back to No.1 in the UK.

The album narrowly saw off the challenge of 21-year-old English singer-songwriter Declan McKenna’s second album Zeros, which had led in earlier midweek data from the Official Charts Company. The Stones pulled ahead in sales to the end of Wednesday (9) and maintained their lead to the close of the chart week at midnight last night. They won the race by the tiny margin of just over 800 combined units.

The new success gives the band their 13th UK No.1 album, drawing them level with the totals achieved by Elvis Presley and Robbie Williams. Only The Beatles now have more, with 15. Goats Head Soup was also this week’s bestseller in physical sales alone.

No.1s across six decades
The OCC has confirmed that the No.1 achievement means that the Rolling Stones are the first band in UK chart history to achieve chart-topping UK albums in six different decades. The sequence extends to more than 56 years, since their self-titled debut album spent the first of 12 consecutive weeks at No.1 in May 1964. The new feat also repeats the success of the 2010 deluxe reissue of 1972’s Exile On Main St., which returned to the summit after 48 years.

Goats Head Soup was first released on August 31, 1973, and debuted at the top of the UK chart for the week of September 22 that year. It spent two consecutive weeks at the summit, and six in the top ten. This week’s survey has the band leading a top five that also features, in order, McKenna, Pop Smoke, Nines and Taylor Swift.

Forty-seven years ago, their Top 5 rivals in the album’s debut week were Rod Stewart, who’d been on top the week before with the compilation Sing It Again Rod; easy listening acts Peters & Lee and the Carpenters; and David Bowie with Aladdin Sane.

hot smiley

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:34

DandelionPowderman
I swore not to, but I caved in and got the album with the alternate cover + single as well.

I never learn smiling smiley

Did you or anyone else already receive it?
I ordered one and received it today, but I don't see any single in the package, maybe it's inside the album cover, but that sounds not believable? The problem is, that if I'm open it I probably can't sent it back if it isn't. I ordered the album only for the vinyl single, because I already ordered and received the double vinyl version.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:56

Anybody know the dimensions of the posters? We're moving, and mine are boxed up (don't worry I ripped the audio and have been jamming it).

I'd like to frame them in my new "man cave".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-11 23:56 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 11, 2020 23:58

GJV
DandelionPowderman
I swore not to, but I caved in and got the album with the alternate cover + single as well.

I never learn smiling smiley

Did you or anyone else already receive it?
I ordered one and received it today, but I don't see any single in the package, maybe it's inside the album cover, but that sounds not believable? The problem is, that if I'm open it I probably can't sent it back if it isn't. I ordered the album only for the vinyl single, because I already ordered and received the double vinyl version.

Don't worry - it's packed together with the LP inside the cover.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:00

Ok, thank you for your reply. That's great to know!smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2020 00:17

jbwelda
I fail to see how Hairball is being a "negative nancy". What he says is truth, 13k sales to make a #1, boy thats off a bit from back when. Just face the truth and stop personalizing it. Shooting the messenger seems all the rage these days, after first engaging in character assassination that is.

jb

The Stones made it to #1 again for the 13th time in the UK Charts but yet people are complaining b/c sales numbers aren't like what they were in 1973?? Who cares? A #1 album is a #1 album. I'm sorry that no matter what, some people on here feel the need to be negative for the sake of being negative. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:21

DiamondDog7
peoplewitheyes

Totaly agree!! Love this version!

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:37

#1 album is a #1 album....... YEAH thats it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:40

Rockman
#1 album is a #1 album....... YEAH thats it ...

smileys with beer thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:41

georgelicks has been saying for years now that the charts are basically meaningless with the low amount of copies that need to be sold to reach that mark.
I realized it back in 2015 when old Davd Gilmour reached #1, and he partially reached that "accomplishment" by giving away a copy of his new cd w/each concert ticket sold.
Now the old Stones have done it with an old album, and they really didn't have to sell that many albums to make it happen - it's just the way it is these days.
If people want to celebrate what I'd call a shallow victory, I say hallelujah, and again hats off to the Stones- Mick and Keith surely did their share of promo work to make it happen!
They even lowered the prices to help make it happen (!), so now they're one step closer to what The Beatles have accomplished, but I've got a feeling the Beatles will be adding more in the future.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 12, 2020 00:52

Yeah but the mop-tops still have the advantage of being
loved and accepted by all the grandmothers across the universe ...

Lets face it if you can crack the retirement
village market then its gonna crank a lotta sales ....

Golden Slumbers is gonna go over better than Starfooker ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 12, 2020 01:01

DandelionPowderman

None, yeah, but it was very close. I recall SHINE A LIGHT losing the number one spot just by a couple of dozen copies. Altogether they have 9 number two albums in UK...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-12 01:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 12, 2020 03:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

None, yeah, but it was very close. I recall SHINE A LIGHT losing the number one spot just by a couple of dozen copies. Altogether they have 9 number two albums in UK...

- Doxa

They had 3 albums at #2 in the UK during the 00's, and 2 were very unlucky:

- Forty Licks (3 weeks at #2, debuted at #2 selling nearly 99,000 copies, 943 copies less than Elvis)

- A Bigger Bang (debuted at #2 with 43,466, 11 copies less than James Blunt which sold 43,477)

- Shine a Light (debuted at #2 with 23,013, Duffy was #1 with 31,087)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 12, 2020 03:24

Congrats to the band!

Another feather in the cap... put it in the books, counts as much as the others regardless of sales, which this will no doubt help increase.
Playing on a level playing field with all the others, yes? Nice job!

Not sure how this relates to the Fab Four ( or Madonna or Elvis or anyone else )
But I guess some are just stuck in the way back machine. I mean if we’re going direct to criticism/comparisons when did they last have a sold out tour or make the most revenue or release a new song or...
winking smiley

Good on’em

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home